Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

back pain...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
gianquittia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gianquittia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2018 at 11:45pm
I had excruciating back pain come up within a week a couple of years ago.  I was diagnosed with an L4 L5 bulging disc via an MRI.  Things that have really helped my back pain are using a Teeter Hangups inversion table daily.  At the end of using the Teeter, I do a few minutes of inverted crunches and believe it or not that gives me back pain relief.  Also stretching in the morning and before physical activity.  Stretching calves, hamstrings, and quads.  The biggest thing that helped me recently is foam rolling my glutes.  Apparently our glutes are the lower core and most people's glutes are very weak.  Foam rolling the quads and other areas may help others as well.  Foam rolling my glutes gives me instant back pain relief.  Watch a video on the internet on how to do it properly.  It is somewhat painful, but the relief is amazing.  This probably won't help everybody, but it's worth a shot.  I have recently been able to indoor row again, because of the glute foam rolling.  Before I was doing this the back pain was too much while rowing.  Hope this helps.
Timo Boll Zlf
FH Yasaka Rakza 7 1.9
BH Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft 1.9
Sponsored Links

JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2018 at 12:04am
Lower back pain, going far into the leg... sciatica #1 in June 2017, wife had to take me to ER, later played tournament in August 2017, continued in league 1x/week in okay shape until early Dec 2017, sciatica # 2, X-rayed : some tailbone problem associated with sciatica, a very cold winter in CT, lots and lots of snow removal from my SUV (ouch), no play but symptoms on and off until this day, but getting much better now. 
Basically, as Baal pointed out in his most recent post above, the doc recommends doing some exercise, not much and he hopes for just waiting it out. Ibuprofen worked best for me, although some much stronger stuff was needed for the first few days each time. 
I think/hope in June I will be good to compete again. 
I say, wait it out if possible, and always let your doc monitor you closely.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2018 at 2:58pm
For blisters etc, I definitely suggest trying BODY Glide (blue) it will prevent blisters chafing etc
If you have back problems it might be a lot of things why:
1. You are putting to much stress on your back, you work hard (job) plus you play hard etc.
2. Perhaps you have a sitting job? with bad posture...
3. You play with shoes that do not support you well etc
4. If you play on floor with good grip such as linoleum or Gerfloor type it causes a lot of back pain..

Back pain is something that I think you should consult doctor with to better diagnose what the issue might be, sometimes you might just need custom insoles to get better posture and your back will then be mostly cured. Good luck.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2018 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Lower back pain, going far into the leg... sciatica #1 in June 2017, wife had to take me to ER, later played tournament in August 2017, continued in league 1x/week in okay shape until early Dec 2017, sciatica # 2, X-rayed : some tailbone problem associated with sciatica, a very cold winter in CT, lots and lots of snow removal from my SUV (ouch), no play but symptoms on and off until this day, but getting much better now. 
Basically, as Baal pointed out in his most recent post above, the doc recommends doing some exercise, not much and he hopes for just waiting it out. Ibuprofen worked best for me, although some much stronger stuff was needed for the first few days each time. 

Jacek, ask the doc if he would consider prescribing a Medrol pack (a tapered one week course of prednisone).  It might speed things up a bit. 
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2018 at 10:20pm
Aha.... I knew I was going to benefit from posting in our forum. Thank you, Baal, this might be just what I need, I will let him decide.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2018 at 10:51pm
Jacek

It is a pack of tablets. You take 6 on day 1 starting in the morning at regular intervals. Then 5 on day 2. 4 on day 3. Etc.

So you get a nice peak in blood levels on day 1 and then taper it off. You aleays need to taper off of a glucocorticoid to prevent a bad undershoot from the endocrine feedback loops.

I have had these kinds of degenerative back conditions. I have successfully resorted to Medrol packs three times in the last ten years. Each time it produced pretty dramatic improvement.

This is not for minor back pain. This is for the really bad ones where you are having pain to walk and aren't able to stand straight and it seems to be not going away.

This is useful.

http://www.mayfieldclinic.com/PE-BackPain.htm
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2018 at 9:08pm
Baal, Thank you very much. This can also be useful for many others here, thanks.

Edited by JacekGM - 04/10/2018 at 9:09pm
ricky95 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricky95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2019 at 9:05pm
You can do exercise to relieve your back pain. Message therapy is also another good solution for back pain. You have to maintain good posture in all activities of your life.

Edited by ricky95 - 03/18/2019 at 1:15pm
daniel082 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daniel082 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2019 at 12:18am
Few things can relieve your back pain such as maintain good posture, avoid carrying heavy things, using a recliner chair, using a heating pad, massage therapy, physiotherapy etc. Consult your doctor for more assistance.

Edited by daniel082 - 03/29/2019 at 11:49pm
ejprinz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejprinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2021 at 12:11pm
Another thing which helped me was to video record my playing with a cell phone and uploading to Google photos, then watch it in 0.25x slow motion. I did bad movements to my back e.g. playing top spin. With coaching and the videos I am getting rid of the bad movements. Also strengthening the lower back helped.
Also since I am working from home these days, my setup is ergonomically 100% correct. Monitor at the right level, keyboard low on keyboard tray, supporting office chair, etc. See:
I actually had to be careful playing piano too, my posture needed improvement too.

Edited by ejprinz - 02/10/2021 at 12:14pm
Yinhe 980XX, DHS Hurricane 3 Neo, Nittaku Wallest 1.0mm sponge.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2021 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Jacek, ask the doc if he would consider prescribing a Medrol pack (a tapered one week course of prednisone).  It might speed things up a bit. 

Off-topic, I took prednisone once for my elbow. I didn't think about it again but I got my first vaccinations on Friday, and I had this weird feeling. What was it? Eventually I came to feel that it was a steroid like prednisone. Nobody believes me, but I'd swear there's something like that in there. I don't think we really know what it is all that's in those. Anyway I had the shot on Friday morning and Saturday night I worked out like a demon and felt like working out again Sunday for no real reason

Edited by cole_ely - 02/15/2021 at 7:10pm
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic