FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Review: Donic Coppa X1 Turbo Platin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review: Donic Coppa X1 Turbo Platin
    Posted: 08/25/2010 at 12:15pm
The rubber for this testing was provided by mytabletennis.com - thanks, guys!

Basic data:

Manufacturer: Donic
Type: inverted
Class: non-tacky, offensive
Hardness: it seems rather soft, and indeed the measurement showed approximately 33 on DHS scale which is about "Mark V-30" soft
Weight: approximately 57/40 g (uncut/cut)
Color: Black
Sponge thickness: 2.2

Sold at: mytabletennis.com
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Sponsored Links

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2010 at 12:16pm
Photos:

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2010 at 12:16pm
First review:

well, finally I have played 10 minutes + a match with it. I am pleasantly surprised - it is a very good rubber. Very fast with good control, soft (softer than I would like it to be, that's for sure) which translates into confident looping and short game, but at the same time with relatively low(er) sensitivity which is an unusual thing for soft rubbers. I am guessing that pip spacing and some topsheet qualities are helping there.

Speed - very fast on the table, but it seems to bottom out relatively fast 4-5 feet away

Spin - very good on serves; above medium for OFF rubbers generally

Control - surprisingly good for such a fast rubber. Softness helps

Tackiness - none

Sensitivity - not so high as one would expect from such a soft rubber

Looping - very good close to the table. More or less OK away but lacks speed and power. Great for opening up the game but don't step too far away from the table.

Throw angle - in the lower half of the range but close to the middle

Blocking - very good, fast, controllable blocks.

Flat hitting - very good

Short game - so far, no reason to complain

Generally, this is a very fast, linear rubber (I didn't really notice much of a catapult there) which seems really good in all the departments except for two

a) speed away from the table (not too surprising with such a soft rubber, so despite springy sponge it bottoms out pretty quickly and when hitting or looping from 2-3-4 steps away you need to adjust your angles and expectations)

b) softness affects sensitivity to the incoming spin as well. Not as much as one would expect - this is no Tenergy 05 with its notorious difficulty in handling heavy spin

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2010 at 12:17pm
Played a bit with it on T-4. What can I say... I stick with my previous observations - it is a very good rubber (if you have the money) if

a) you are not going far from the table (T-4 certainly helped me to play away from the table but the precision in short game went down, that's for sure)

b) you do not need a catapult (tensors, Tenergy, that kind of thing)

c) you tend to play a slightly flatter game (meaning you do not loop everything that moves). Also you need to play a fast and rather precise on-the-table game

d) your blade is relatively fast/hard/stiff, not ALL/ALL+, not softish Hinoki-like outer plies

e) you can properly handle junk deception that comes to you from LPs or anti rubbers - due to softness of both sponge and topsheet, this rubber is kinda sensitive to that

Doesn't mean that you have to comply with all of these conditions but if you only have 2-3 out of 5 then play with something else which will better suit you.

Anyways, certainly not my kind of rubber, though I can appreciate some of its nice qualities.

dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2010 at 12:18pm
First comment... LOL

Photos comment : The topsheet looks like a regular Tensor topsheet. They are not as spiny as Tenergy topsheet which usually look more 'dull', even when you pull them straight from the package..

Edited by dragon kid - 08/25/2010 at 12:32pm
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2010 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by dragon kid dragon kid wrote:

First comment... LOL

Handshake

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2010 at 12:29pm
disagreement ...

So its less spinny than tenregy but way faster... right?  

the sponge looks porous but not as porous as hexer / barracuda. kinda midway.

the topsheet however looks much thinner than that of acuda ... and more artificial rubber than natural rubber %age :) 

JimT.. with this one on your T-4 you are definitely looking at some fireworks !!!

Edited by debraj - 08/25/2010 at 4:28pm
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2010 at 12:29pm
resolution....
vid1
Vid 2
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2010 at 12:30pm
[praise ] 

Great Review JimT... this is the most awesome review i found on the net about this rubber.

lets swap the rubbers.... for testing
vid1
Vid 2
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2010 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

[praise ] 

Great Review JimT... this is the most awesome review i found on the net about this rubber.

lets swap the rubbers.... for testing

Ok ok guys... stop joshing around, wait for the review - I guess I walked right into this one Big smile

strongpong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strongpong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2010 at 8:21pm

That pip spacing looks very wide, should be easy to activate good top sheet bite on slower opening loops. Good flat hitting as well maybe........??

Like to know more on this one.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2010 at 12:35am
Added hardness data (33) and first  review - Extra! Extra! Read all about it!

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2010 at 5:19am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

......relatively low(er) sensitivity which is an unusual thing for soft rubbers. 

personally i disagree with this fact. all soft but non-tacky rubbers are less sensitive to incoming spin than all hard and non-tacky rubbers ... in my opinion. 

vid1
Vid 2
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2010 at 9:25am
Usually the harder the rubber (topsheet + sponge), less penetration of the ball - therefore less contact, less dwell time, less sensitive to the incoming spin. Tackiness is a minus as well if you are not putting your own spin on the ball but simply do a passive block or smth like that - however with most of the shots tackiness helps to defeat the incoming spin... just not always.

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2010 at 12:14pm
my thought pattern, empirically derived from the converse experience goes:

for the incoming serve, the topsheet is more relevant than the sponge ... a hard sponge gives the backinng for a topsheet to completely stay static and not yield, thereby the whole spinning energy is returned to the ball making as linear kinetic energy... making it what we call to react more. 

example... many like tenergy 05, commercial hurricane 3 , etc.

on contrary in soft sponged sheets,  the sponge allows the topsheet to deform and dissipate some of that spinning mommentum ... resulting is less sharp reaction.

example: many again.. but the best i had was a sheet of galaxy mercury on very soft 729 reactor sponge ... expecting great spin. neither there was spin.. nor was it more reactive than the hard sponged tacky rubbers. :(

vid1
Vid 2
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2010 at 11:36am
Update for the weight - approximate calculation based on the weight of the entire racket (since I know the weight of all the other components, tape and glue included Wink)

Weight of the cut sheet is about 40 g (therefore uncut should be around 57 g).

friendship View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2010 at 6:09am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Usually the harder the rubber (topsheet + sponge), less penetration of the ball - therefore less contact, less dwell time, less sensitive to the incoming spin. Tackiness is a minus as well if you are not putting your own spin on the ball but simply do a passive block or smth like that - however with most of the shots tackiness helps to defeat the incoming spin... just not always.

the hardness of sponge is not the only parameter. other is springiness of sponge. if the sponge is soft but springy, dwell time is not equally long as if the sponge is soft but not springy. therefore, soft but springy sponges matched with non-tacky topsheet should not be oversensitive to incoming spin

also, hardness of topsheet is parameter for penetration of the ball as well. the harder topsheet does not allow too deep a penetration

Edited by friendship - 09/03/2010 at 6:12am
Xriz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xriz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2010 at 9:06am
i have a friend who had with this rubber and i must say its a total waste of good money, this rubber only lasted 1 month, no question i could compete with tenergy series but unfortunately in terms of durability donic has done it again, another rubber with is very brittle that i couldn't even last more than a month... 
A.T.M
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2010 at 10:06am
Cannot really say much about the durability, since I have only played a couple of hours with it - so that will have to wait a rather long time...

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2010 at 12:41pm
Played a bit with it on T-4. What can I say... I stick with my previous observations - it is a very good rubber (if you have the money) if

a) you are not going far from the table (T-4 certainly helped me to play away from the table but the precision in short game went down, that's for sure)

b) you do not need a catapult (tensors, Tenergy, that kind of thing)

c) you tend to play a slightly flatter game (meaning you do not loop everything that moves). Also you need to play a fast and rather precise on-the-table game

d) your blade is relatively fast/hard/stiff, not ALL/ALL+, not softish Hinoki-like outer plies

e) you can properly handle junk deception that comes to you from LPs or anti rubbers - due to softness of both sponge and topsheet, this rubber is kinda sensitive to that

Doesn't mean that you have to comply with all of these conditions but if you only have 2-3 out of 5 then play with something else which will better suit you.

Anyways, certainly not my kind of rubber, though I can appreciate some of its nice qualities.

As soon as I get to the post office, this one goes to debraj.

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2010 at 1:29pm
so JimT if I understand correctly this not normal type of tensor rubber? Since you say it's not very bouncy?
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2010 at 3:12pm
It is not a tensor in my opinion. It is very lively but  I do not observe any catapult  there, and it bottoms out pretty fast unlike all the tensors I have ever played with.

Debraj told me he is not interested - and I understand him completely. I will give to a guy in my club - let him test it some more - he likes fast and soft rubbers, so hopefully we will get another short review out of this.

ucftcys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ucftcys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2010 at 12:40am
any update about this rubber? how about the durability?
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2010 at 11:01pm
Haven't really played much with it since the last time - maybe 30 minutes more. So far it looks immaculate but... I will install it on a different blade soon and will try again.

zakc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zakc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2011 at 3:09am
Durability is fine I played with it for 6 months and it's fine
rui pedro81 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rui pedro81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2012 at 11:46am
anyone knows if this rubber and tibhar genius optimum+ are the same or very simliar?
speedspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2012 at 5:43pm
I played with the Coppa X1 Platinum and didn't like it because it was a little too hard for me.  I like the Acuda S1 better--it is a bit softer and easier to do slow and medium speed loop driving than X1 platinum.  The throw angle seems a little higher with S1 also - Coppa X1 P is a very flat trajectory - harder to lift low underspin balls.  I am a old timer Shriver player, so generally like harder sponge for the FH drive.  Platinum is a little too hard for me.  However, if my FH touch improves, I think Platinum would be fine.  Alternatively, Platinum might be good for a slower blade (I am using a Michael Maze now).  
Speedspin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic