FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Stiga Calibra LT is very good

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiga Calibra LT is very good
    Posted: 08/30/2010 at 10:37pm
I bought it in red max thickness from Dandoy, glued it onto a Butterfly Viscaria using Donic Vario Clean.  I normally use T05 in my forehand, so this will mainly be a comparison with that rubber.

This rubber also comes in softer version called Calibra LT Sound which I also hit with a few days ago.  The sound version is softer -- and has more sound. 

The regular version has a top sheet that is very grippy and the rubber has a natural appearance quite like T05 and also the Boost series.  The sponge is orange colored but not porous like Butterfly spring sponges or some recent Tensors.  It is medium hard, I would say similar or maybe ever so slightly harder than T05.  Pip structure is like T64, which it resembles a bit in its playing characteristics.

This stuff has a really nice feel.  Stiga claims that this rubber has a long trajectory that makes it excellent off the table and that is certainly true.  Although the throw is a bit lower than T05, it can handle pressure just the same way in counter looping.  A lot of people who are bothered by the T05 high throw will like this one.  Actually, now that I think about it, Calibra LT has a lot in common with T64.  It is maybe just a touch less spinny, but not far off and it is spinny enough I think.  ALthough it throws lower than T05, it didn't bother me the way some tensors do.  Speed is more like T64 than T05, which is to say, it is a bit faster than T05.  Also, the Calibra LT is distinctly ligher than any Tenergy, which will gain it a lot of fans.  Serving I couldn't tell the difference from T05, it was also good on returns an short game, had a nice feel for blocking. It almost feels like a rubber that falls somewhere in between T05 and T64 in playing characteristics.

I will write more about this later after I have played with it some more, but at 40 USD from Paddle Palace and from Dandoy it is a lot cheaper than Tenergy series.  If you play with if for a few days, you will be at the same level as you were with Tenergy.  Another thing I am quite sure of; I played with it au naturel, but I will bet you anything that if you boost this stuff and then hit some loops with it you will see God.

Without any question, for the way I play this is the best rubber in the post speed-glue era that I have ever used that is not called Tenergy.  To date it is the only rubber that is an even close to viable alternative-- although I suppose I might put Hexer in that category too.
Sponsored Links

Zeus777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeus777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2010 at 11:31pm
Thanks for the good info.
Have you ever used Magna II TC ? If you have, can you compare?

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2010 at 11:54pm
Sorry, have never tried  Magna II TC
Zeus777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeus777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2010 at 12:19am
That's all right.
Looks like I am going to order some Calibra LT rubbers for my Timo Boll ALC (CPen).
How do you think ? Do you think Calibra LT/Sound can be good forhand/backhand rubber ?

dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2010 at 3:14pm
If it's not too much trouble for you, Baal, can you take a picture of the Callibra?
Would be interesting to see the topsheet and the sponge.. thank you..

Edited by dragon kid - 08/31/2010 at 3:16pm
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2010 at 3:45pm
I'm really hopeful about this rubber, mainly for the fact that it could possibly be instumental in bringing down the price of Tenergy.
The Older I get, The better I was.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2010 at 5:17pm
dragon kid, I'll try but will need to borrow a camera and learn how to use it for the necessary close shot.  Confused
tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomas.gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2010 at 6:57pm
Baal, in the topic about acuda S1, you said you would rather play boost TS/TC than acuda S1.
Did you find any similarities between calibra LT and any of boost rubber?
I read (speaquinox) "However the sponge does not act consistent. Sometimes it has good click and spin, sometimes pretty dead." I had similar feelings with TS, There was only 1 kind of topspin stroke, which lead to satisfying result. Any changes in stroke lead to an error. Also, the topsheet acted...very low spin by the topsheet only. Without sponge, useless. I dont like these rubbers, they were accepted for me only with speedglue (quite a lot). I like spin going from topsheet itself, and going stronger with usage of the sponge (like tenergy).
So, How is calibra like? Thank you.
Kokutaku Bishu no.1 ST - H3N red , BTfly Spinart 2.1 black
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2010 at 8:51pm
Calibra LT seemed fairly consistent to me.  I would be really curious to know if you liked it.  Let me play with it some more and I will try to figure better the issue of the contribution of topsheet and sponge to spin as a function of racket speed.  It's an interesting idea and I haven't given it a lot of thought before.  Calibra LT is more like Tenergy than anything else I have tried so far, if that is any help. It is also more versatile than Boosts and throws quite a bit higher.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2010 at 9:41pm
Just snap a shot with your phone will do, Baal.. :)) thanks
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2010 at 10:23pm
OK Dragon Kid, will do.  Have some business travel this week, will try to do it early next week.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2010 at 2:46am
Baal, have you by any chance used a Roxon rubber so you can compare it to them? Or, perhaps Donic Platin? My own experience with Boost is limited and I'm really tempted by this Calibra rubber after your review, so acomparision to rubbers I'm more used to would be really helpful.
The holy grail
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2010 at 6:10am
sorry no
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2010 at 6:27am
Here´s a vid of the rubbers of some dudes trying them: If it plays like the vid,  this it´s really CRAZY FAST!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24SNH1I357Y
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2010 at 6:40am
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

Here´s a vid of the rubbers of some dudes trying them: If it plays like the vid,  this it´s really CRAZY FAST!!!!

It sounds good!
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2010 at 8:42am
I must say goodbye to my Boost TC! Shocked
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2010 at 10:49am
I've got a Calibra LT Sound. The topsheet shines like the Boost series. The sponge is similar to Boost series except that it is orange color.
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2010 at 4:57pm
I think the above video shows the 'Sound' version from what I read elsewhere on another forum. Here are a few pictures, they aren't that good as my camera isn't really up to the job and getting clear shots of the sponge is out of the question. They have been used for about 4 hours so far. 
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2010 at 7:56pm
JKC

What are your initial thoughts on the way Calibra LT plays?

Looking at your pictures, I agree with Baal's comment about the pip structure, being similar to the pip structure of Tenergy 64.

It's a rubber that interests me, as I like Tenergy 05 and Tenergy 64. And if this is a viable alternative; then I'll buy some to test it myself.
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2010 at 10:13am

the topsheet looks very similar to a Boost topsheet.

JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2010 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Peter C Peter C wrote:

JKC

What are your initial thoughts on the way Calibra LT plays?

Looking at your pictures, I agree with Baal's comment about the pip structure, being similar to the pip structure of Tenergy 64.

It's a rubber that interests me, as I like Tenergy 05 and Tenergy 64. And if this is a viable alternative; then I'll buy some to test it myself.
I really like the stuff. Of the newer rubbers, I can only compare it to T05 as I have never used a Tensor. It is clearly faster than T05, slightly lower throw (medium high), blocks better than T05 though with less automatic spin. Opening loops very spinny, but a fraction less than a new sheet of Tenergy. Off the table it has real power and some of the old 'speed glue' feel and a nice sound too. I haven't done much pushing, but it is great for flicking the ball. Hits through heavy topspin very well and and is lots of fun to play with. After 4 hours or so of play it still looks as good as new, with all scuff marks still disappearing with a little moisture and a wipe off. Lets hope it lasts for a long time.  

Obviously another good reason to try it is that it is quite a bit cheaper than Tenergy and it hasn't just had its price put up lots because its manufacturer thinks they should try to squeeze every last penny out of us.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2010 at 2:56pm
The topsheet definitely looks better, more grippy, than tensors' topsheet.
So it plays quite well. If Baal and JKC said it's good, that's good enough review for me. So the next question will be the durability.. Hope it's good and durable at the same time..
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2010 at 3:25pm
Baal/JKC what blade you would fit this rubber best, flexible/stiff, carbon/all wood or a mix.
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2010 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by dragon kid dragon kid wrote:

The topsheet definitely looks better, more grippy, than tensors' topsheet.
So it plays quite well. If Baal and JKC said it's good, that's good enough review for me. So the next question will be the durability.. Hope it's good and durable at the same time..

I expect that it will be very durable like the boost rubbers.
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2010 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Carryboy Carryboy wrote:

Baal/JKC what blade you would fit this rubber best, flexible/stiff, carbon/all wood or a mix.

I suspect the Sound version might play better on somthing stiffer and the standard version might suite something more flexible. The topsheet isn't hard on the standard version so you can probably get away with it on something stiffer - it plays well enough for me on my T-4.

Personally I think after it has been cleaned there is almost the faintest hint of tack on this rubber. It isn't going to even think about picking the ball up or anything, but plastic rubber covers stick really well to it and are probably something which will help to keep it in good condition. It's just a shame that the old Spinmax isn't still allowed or that would have been an interesting combination.
tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomas.gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2010 at 5:13pm
Damn, JKC,  you are  breaking my wallet by stating there is the faintest hint of tack! 
Kokutaku Bishu no.1 ST - H3N red , BTfly Spinart 2.1 black
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2010 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by Carryboy Carryboy wrote:

I think it depends on what you like, I used it on a stiff but soft ALC blade (Viscaria) and it felt good.  One way to think about it is if it is a good blade for T64 it will be good with this too.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2010 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

I found the sound version insanely fast, the regular version merely fast.  Both are faster than T05 at the top end.
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2010 at 8:54am
pics from a chinese forum:

Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
atin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2010 at 9:22am

By just bouncing to ball on the blade with a little effect, the Calibra LT sound almost felt the same as the Boost TS. I expected a little more effect there. Topsheet seems the same as the Boost series. The pips of the Calibra LT are closer then the pips of the Sound so the feel is a little harder. I've played in the past with all of the Stiga Boost rubbers and Tenergy's, so i will try to compare them later after i've tried the Calibra's. For now i think the calibra's are more build for the speed than for it's effect/topspin. Later more....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic