Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Complete Donic Coppa JO Gold X1 review - results
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Complete Donic Coppa JO Gold X1 review - results

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Complete Donic Coppa JO Gold X1 review - results
    Posted: 08/31/2010 at 4:19am
I received this rubber from Mytabletennis.net forum testing of donic rubbers, and will review it here. 

But before review, here's a snippet .... they say "the proof of the pudding is in the eating" ...just like "Proof of a good rubber is in winning" ... so here's a link to what happened tonight at club. 

i had NEVER EVER beaten the top 2 players in the club. 

setup used: YinHe V-1, FH: Donic Acuda S1, BH: Donic Coppa JO Gold X1

Edited by debraj - 09/06/2010 at 4:03am
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
Sponsored Links

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2010 at 4:19am

Okay here's the review

I received the Donic Coppa JO Gold X1 rubber from mytabletennis.net for forum testing.I didn't have much expectation out of it, but let's see what happened...

Set-up:
Blade: YinHe Venus 1, blade with some kind of soft carbon composite layers and thick KISO Hinoki outer plies (82 gms)
FH: Donic Acuda S1 - max
BH: Donic Coppa JO Gold X1  
Glue: Tearmender + 30% H2O 

Donic Coppa JO Gold S1

TOP TO BOTTOM: BFY TENERGY 05, ANDRO HEXER, DONIC ACUDA, (V-1 BLADE), GOLD S1

Physical Properties
The red translucent topsheet as a matt finish, but still has a shine  on it (unlike hexer); suggesting still significant percentage of artificial rubber, but may be less that roxon generation. Expectedly its not tacky.

A white Type 2 ESN sponge (type 1: large pores like hexer, type 2 : medium pores like hexer+, type 3: very small more like roxons) The sponge is mid-soft, feels like 42.5 on ESN scale.  

Pip density is medium, less than Acuda. 

Throw Angle:

I feel throw angle for rubbers has agraph similar to internal combustion engine's torque delivery x speed graph. if speed is on x axis
THis shows the sponge effect on throw angle in loops. For rubbers throw angle keeps increasing initially with speed, till it bottoms out and then suddenly drops nd stay constant. Coppa Gold X1, due to softer sponge has high throw angle at low speed range, and also bottoms out earlier than hexer or acuda.

So it is easy to loops serves (low impact speed), but not easy to counter loop ... you will have to open the face and use that with upward movement or just block with power.

Spinniness: Expectedly the soft rubbers are less spinny on power strokes, while in slow strokes are spinny. However i think this generation tensors are little spinnier thanks to a little improved topsheet grip. For first 3 days i could easily generate the same amount of spin as a tenergy on serves and underspin pushes, without looking obvious. After that it settled for a tensor level grip.

Service: 
I depend on my serves a lot and i love winning service points even while playing 2000+ level players. [the flip side of that is when i put so much emphasis to make camouflage my serves, i end up 1 or 2 serve misses per game]. While we talk of tenergy being good for service, we didn't realize with tenergy's speed we need to be more cautious in the hand jerk while serving. With cjx1 i was able to use a faster stroke, imparting more spin in serve. very deceptive amount of spin. 10/10

Serve Return:
The topsheet like most ESn topsheets is quite insensitive to incoming spin.... and lets you play any shot you want, push, deep underspin push, flick, or loop (thanks to soft sponge).

Push 
The rubber is pusher's heaven... it pushes consistantly and easily, but not necessarily easy for your opponent if you vary spin. I had a few long boring push-push mind-game with a higher level player... and while his pushes all had same spin, i was able to vary spin.. and get pop-ups and nets out of his reactive tenergy 05.

Flip: 
With low spin topsheet its easy to flip or flick the short balls...however while retuning longer serves, there is some directional instability.

Block
Awesome blocking rubber. i haven't seen any rubber that can block so well other than long pips. however passive blocks mostly... active blocks creates some directional instability. i try to twist my blade at last moment to place the blocks at different places on the table. but i kept missing the spot with cjx1.... so while blocking is more secure (you wont miss a point)... you end up losing some ground on block placement.

Opening Loops:
Opening loops 'were' a breeze... it 'gave' a kind of safe feeling while opening for first 2 weeks. after that it still opens well, but not as good as earlier. the rubber being on slower side, its easy to use forward movement and use the sponge for looping, and still not losing the table.

Counters:
You almost cannot counter...or rather i cannot counter with this rubber, i can block or i can hit, but not counterloop with any bit of respect. The soft sponge bottoms out, and gives a flat trajectory. i think once you used to that you can actually hit more balls than loop... which would be great.. because i won lot of point just like that. the vicious flat trajectory on counterhitting was almost impossible to deal with for my opponent. or of course you can block :) 

Chop:
I don't but anyone can with this rubber.

Durability:
Hmmm... 2 weeks and already it shows signs fo loss of surface grip. the rubber is not fragile at all... if you hit it in the corner it will survive... but definitely the surface does lose grip with time. 

I will give this rubber a few more weeks to see if there is any major change... but definitely in first 2 weeks i was in heaven with this rubber on my BH... liteally doing anything i want to and punishing my opponents including 1900-2100 players

Edited by debraj - 09/06/2010 at 3:59am
vid1
Vid 2
figgie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote figgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2010 at 9:48am
debraj

beating a person higher than you, although great wins for you. Is not indicative of anything to include rubber being better/worse than prior setup. Now if you do it CONSISTANTLY every single time. Then and only then we can conclude that the rubber did infact improve your game. But that is all we can conclude.
Speed glue, booster, tuner free since 2006!!!
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2010 at 9:55am
So you also used it on BH, same as I did with X1 Platin. I mean, I played with it on FH as well but I liked it more on BH because on forehand I need more spin and power on long loops.

How is hardness?
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2010 at 10:10am
best review I have ever seen.

nice win Debraj, I hope you can win many more mathes with this rubber.
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2010 at 12:30pm
guys thnks for your comments and questions. of course this is not a review yet... just a teaser :) 

but yes it is a true teaser. yesterday while on my second session with Gold, i was completely in control of the games. and that shows in not just one freaky win but 2... and those guys; as mentioned in another post by others... are 'way underrated in club than usatt'. 

Coppa Jo Gold was not winning to many 'power points' for me... take my 'word' but it 'excel's in letting you completely ignore the incoming spin.. and place the ball anywhere on  the table with moderate spin and anything from slow to medium speed. 

i was winning points with acuda s1. but i was getting control of those rallies by Coppa JO Gold x1.

its softer sponge than what i like to play with...prolly slightly softer than xiom vega europe. 

Edited by debraj - 08/31/2010 at 12:49pm
vid1
Vid 2
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2010 at 10:59pm
Debraj, I am anxious to wait for your review on the X1 gold.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2010 at 3:55am
debraj, kindly give us your initial impressions of the rubber. thanks
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
ThaiLe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThaiLe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2010 at 11:38am
Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

Debraj, I am anxious to wait for your review on the X1 gold.

+1...Wink

My atf rubber is Donic Coppa Gold and I was told that X1 Gold should be an upgrade of Coppa Gold.

chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2010 at 9:43pm

is it possible that with all your practice you are now coming into a rich vein of form ,but you are crediting the rubber for it,give yourself some credit and have fun.

BTW: I am interested in your review as well.
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
mexicano92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mexicano92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2010 at 11:47pm
i either have this rubber (coppa x1 gold) in the beginning.. i like very much but the durability is very low .. i have one month training  with this  4 or 5 hours per day .. and the rubber is very worn 
Ginko Tai Kim View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginko Tai Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2010 at 2:44am

How is it compared to S1?

RE-Impact Hydra
Andro Roxon 450 2mm
Giant Dragon Giant Long ox
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2010 at 12:51pm
photos posted...review still WIP.
vid1
Vid 2
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2010 at 11:26pm
I disagree with Debraj estimation of Acuda S1 throw angle relative to Hexer.  Hexer threw substantially higher and spinnier than Acuda S1 on my blade.
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2010 at 12:38am
you are absolutely right Baal. if you see the graph there are many zones where hexer is higher throw... however hexer sponge being softer... at some point (speed of impact) it bottoms out.. but acuda keeps going up even after that, with its harder sponge.
vid1
Vid 2
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2010 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

you are absolutely right Baal. if you see the graph there are many zones where hexer is higher throw... however hexer sponge being softer... at some point (speed of impact) it bottoms out.. but acuda keeps going up even after that, with its harder sponge.

Yes, Isee that now.  Thanks.  I agree.
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2010 at 6:54am
IMO the plain donic coppa outperforms these newer copper series rubbers hands down.
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2010 at 4:04am
review completed
vid1
Vid 2
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2010 at 4:08pm

review completed

Bring it on.
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
right2niru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote right2niru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2013 at 12:21am

Okay here's the review

I received the Donic Coppa JO Gold X1 rubber from mytabletennis.net for forum testing.I didn't have much expectation out of it, but let's see what happened...

Set-up:
Blade: YinHe Venus 1, blade with some kind of soft carbon composite layers and thick KISO Hinoki outer plies (82 gms)
FH: Donic Acuda S1 - max
BH: Donic Coppa JO Gold X1  
Glue: Tearmender + 30% H2O 

Donic Coppa JO Gold S1

TOP TO BOTTOM: BFY TENERGY 05, ANDRO HEXER, DONIC ACUDA, (V-1 BLADE), GOLD S1

Physical Properties
The red translucent topsheet as a matt finish, but still has a shine  on it (unlike hexer); suggesting still significant percentage of artificial rubber, but may be less that roxon generation. Expectedly its not tacky.

A white Type 2 ESN sponge (type 1: large pores like hexer, type 2 : medium pores like hexer+, type 3: very small more like roxons) The sponge is mid-soft, feels like 42.5 on ESN scale.  

Pip density is medium, less than Acuda. 

Throw Angle:

I feel throw angle for rubbers has agraph similar to internal combustion engine's torque delivery x speed graph. if speed is on x axis
THis shows the sponge effect on throw angle in loops. For rubbers throw angle keeps increasing initially with speed, till it bottoms out and then suddenly drops nd stay constant. Coppa Gold X1, due to softer sponge has high throw angle at low speed range, and also bottoms out earlier than hexer or acuda.

So it is easy to loops serves (low impact speed), but not easy to counter loop ... you will have to open the face and use that with upward movement or just block with power.

Spinniness: Expectedly the soft rubbers are less spinny on power strokes, while in slow strokes are spinny. However i think this generation tensors are little spinnier thanks to a little improved topsheet grip. For first 3 days i could easily generate the same amount of spin as a tenergy on serves and underspin pushes, without looking obvious. After that it settled for a tensor level grip.

Service: 
I depend on my serves a lot and i love winning service points even while playing 2000+ level players. [the flip side of that is when i put so much emphasis to make camouflage my serves, i end up 1 or 2 serve misses per game]. While we talk of tenergy being good for service, we didn't realize with tenergy's speed we need to be more cautious in the hand jerk while serving. With cjx1 i was able to use a faster stroke, imparting more spin in serve. very deceptive amount of spin. 10/10

Serve Return:
The topsheet like most ESn topsheets is quite insensitive to incoming spin.... and lets you play any shot you want, push, deep underspin push, flick, or loop (thanks to soft sponge).

Push 
The rubber is pusher's heaven... it pushes consistantly and easily, but not necessarily easy for your opponent if you vary spin. I had a few long boring push-push mind-game with a higher level player... and while his pushes all had same spin, i was able to vary spin.. and get pop-ups and nets out of his reactive tenergy 05.

Flip: 
With low spin topsheet its easy to flip or flick the short balls...however while retuning longer serves, there is some directional instability.

Block
Awesome blocking rubber. i haven't seen any rubber that can block so well other than long pips. however passive blocks mostly... active blocks creates some directional instability. i try to twist my blade at last moment to place the blocks at different places on the table. but i kept missing the spot with cjx1.... so while blocking is more secure (you wont miss a point)... you end up losing some ground on block placement.

Opening Loops:
Opening loops 'were' a breeze... it 'gave' a kind of safe feeling while opening for first 2 weeks. after that it still opens well, but not as good as earlier. the rubber being on slower side, its easy to use forward movement and use the sponge for looping, and still not losing the table.

Counters:
You almost cannot counter...or rather i cannot counter with this rubber, i can block or i can hit, but not counterloop with any bit of respect. The soft sponge bottoms out, and gives a flat trajectory. i think once you used to that you can actually hit more balls than loop... which would be great.. because i won lot of point just like that. the vicious flat trajectory on counterhitting was almost impossible to deal with for my opponent. or of course you can block :) 

Chop:
I don't but anyone can with this rubber.

Durability:
Hmmm... 2 weeks and already it shows signs fo loss of surface grip. the rubber is not fragile at all... if you hit it in the corner it will survive... but definitely the surface does lose grip with time. 

I will give this rubber a few more weeks to see if there is any major change... but definitely in first 2 weeks i was in heaven with this rubber on my BH... liteally doing anything i want to and punishing my opponents including 1900-2100 players

@debraj, it is a great review and i totally agree with the graph you have presented ; I have been using Coppa X1 gold for a few days and everything you posted seem pretty close to how i feel on slower speeds and it's countering ability with exceptional blocks but was kinda intrigued by your statement on durablity and was curious to know your stand ? Is there a way you could recall how long did the top sheet grip last having it as back hand rubber ?
ZJK SZLC |5Q+
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic