FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Galaxy Mercury II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2011 at 2:17am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

The only drawback of this method is that you spend 1 liter w/b glue every month. Last time I have bought 3 gallons of it.
You sir, are a maniac! LOL 
I bow down to you! Clap
Sponsored Links

Antiq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2011 at 3:16am
Originally posted by dual700 dual700 wrote:

Originally posted by Antiq Antiq wrote:

Thks all for the suggestions... will consider using waterbased glue instead in future...
Nothing wrong with using speed glue/rubber cement, matter of fact, I prefer to use that one on M2 sponge, because of the weaker bond.
However, I usually only apply glue on the bat, not on the rubber when transferring rubbers to diff bats, I don't put more glue on the sponges that already have a layer of glue.

Oh yes, just did that : )
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2011 at 4:09am
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

Imago, which brand glue are you using

I would like to know that too...
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2011 at 12:37pm

It's Italian, sold in 10 lit. and 104 lit. Smile

sweetstrike View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2011 at 1:03pm
Imago, is your blade sealed? I use VOC glue on an unsealed ayous blade and the bond was strong enough to shred up the sponge.
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2011 at 1:34pm
Yes, I do seal all blades with 1 layer w/b varnish with teflon.
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2011 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

It's Italian, sold in 10 lit. and 104 lit. Smile

What? I'm from Italy and I have to buy copydex from UK, because we have no latex-based glue in commerce.

I hope you are not using Vinavil, it will destroy your blade and rubbers.

Why won't you tell us the brand? Cry
RyKnocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2011 at 11:03pm
I've had some time with this rubber and here are some initial impressions:

1)  It's not that much faster than my IQUL 35* but feels just as soft and is definitely spinnier.

2) Loops and returning backspin shots was much easier than with IQUL.  The rubber doesn't seem that sensitive to spin as I was able to push spinny short serves with ease.

3)  The throw is definitely higher than IQUL not as consistent.  It took me a few shots to adjust because if I over compensated then the shots went straight into the net.

Overall, I like it better on my FH than BH. I haven't tried taking it off so I don't know what the sponge durability is like.  I used Elmers no-wrinkle rubber cement and put 2 coats on the rubber and 1 coat on the sponge, so we'll see how well that turns out when it's time to replace it with something new.

I think I'll try H3 Neo as it seems like it'll give me the same characteristics, minus the softness but more speed.
BTY Viscaria: FH Black Battle II / BH Red 802-40 2.0mm

Galaxy W-6: FH: FH/BH Yinhe Big Dipper 38*
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2011 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by RyKnocks RyKnocks wrote:

I've had some time with this rubber and here are some initial impressions:

1)  It's not that much faster than my IQUL 35* but feels just as soft and is definitely spinnier.

2) Loops and returning backspin shots was much easier than with IQUL.  The rubber doesn't seem that sensitive to spin as I was able to push spinny short serves with ease.

3)  The throw is definitely higher than IQUL not as consistent.  It took me a few shots to adjust because if I over compensated then the shots went straight into the net.

Overall, I like it better on my FH than BH. I haven't tried taking it off so I don't know what the sponge durability is like.  I used Elmers no-wrinkle rubber cement and put 2 coats on the rubber and 1 coat on the sponge, so we'll see how well that turns out when it's time to replace it with something new.

I think I'll try H3 Neo as it seems like it'll give me the same characteristics, minus the softness but more speed.

Yea, tell me what you think about the H3N vs. M2 36 thing, I'm doing the exact opposite as I have a very stiff blade.  I just got my M2 36 and Moon 38 today, glued them on my blade replacing the LKT Pro XT and the H3N.  I'll play some against the wall tonight to see how it feels, and I'll bring it to the club tomorrow to test it out in some games.  I hope the difference b/w H2N and M2 is the same as you think, because that'd be exactly what I need!
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2011 at 7:13pm
I'm a little surprised by the M2 and the Moon's tackiness, at least when new, after being cleaned only a couple of times.  The Moon is mildly tacky, very similar to the pro XT.  The M2 on the other hand is super tacky, even more so than the H3N.  I used a metallic water bottle as a roller, and when I was rolling the M2 onto the blade the tack peeled the paint right off my water bottle!  I suppose I'll have to wait a bit for the tack to wear off before really knowing these rubbers.
sweetstrike View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2011 at 7:34pm
I haven't used moon but I totally agree with the extreme tackiness of Mercury 2. It can hold a ball upside down for a long time.
patient.bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patient.bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2011 at 12:43am
I have noticed that the Mercury 2 topsheets gets easily bruised and battered like a soldier at war, and once that happens, the tackiness is gone. Just removed the black rubber, and the w/b glue will NOT come off, so I threw the rubber away in disgust+rage.
Stiga AR NCT + Yasaka Mark V 2.0mm.....and a few others
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2011 at 3:49am
Got kinda drunk tonight, big hangover, but I soldiered on to try the new rubbers a lil bit anyway.  What I noticed was that both the M2 and the Moon are much spinnier than the LKT Pro XT.  The M2 seems crazy spinny.  Honestly I can't really tell the speed, I think you really need to be on the receiving end to really tell, but it does appear that you need to generate your own pace with these two rubbers than the H3Neo, at least on my blade.

Maybe it's a hardness issue, but using the same swing, my M2 on the FH definitely has a much lower trajectory than the H3N.  In fact, the balls would often barely hit the bottom of the net.  To me, that's actually not a bad thing.  Since I got my new setup about 3 weeks ago, I've had to adjust my swing to brush much more than I was used to on a wooden blade.  Now, however, I can use the same swing as before, with a much more smashing/hitting motion, and it does seem REALLY fast and spinny.  It's really hard for me to decide which rubber to use on the FH, as both seem excellent, and BH feels effortless because while both are faster than the Pro XT, both are also much spinnier so my BH loops end up on the table anyway.  So the decision, at least as of now, appears to depend on the FH.  While the Moon appears to be an easier transition from the H3N, probably because it's 38 degrees rather than the M2's 36, I do love the M2's extreme tackiness for services and how I have more different strokes available for every ball.  It's a tough call, but I think I'll try the M2 on the FH first.  I'm sure I'll get my butt kicked tomorrow at the club at first, but hopefully by the end of the day, I will have adjusted enough to hold my own.
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2011 at 1:18am
So I played with the new setup today, and after a period of adjustment, I'm really liking it!  The much softer definitely gives me better control, but smashing is noticeably slower than the H3N.  Loop-driving is a bit slower too(and I have to aim a bit higher or the ball would fall into the net), but it feels more deadly(spinnier, more controllable).  The added control on the FH side is very noticeable when I have to really reach for a ball, because then my movements are limited and I couldn't add as much spin onto it, so if the ball is coming fast, it would just bounce right off of the H3N giving me no control at all.  The additional dwell time on the M2 really helped me landing those balls.  I trained some in loop rallies as well, and that's where the biggest difference showed.  Whereas I had major trouble counter-rallying, especially when I wanted to control the speed, counter-looping is a breeze with the M2.  The speed might be a tad slower, but it's got great spin and best of all, it lands on the table :)

The Moon felt just like a Pro XT with a top gear, I didn't have to adjust at all on the BH side and all my training this past week with the BH carried on right over with no problems.  The only difference is that when I loop drive from the BH side with some power, the ball really takes off now.
mayuki24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mayuki24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2011 at 2:01am
Anyone tried Mercury II for a return board? I wanna make one with this rubbers, do you think it would bounce back good?  LOL
Nittaku Runlox (C-Pen)
FH:    Andro Rasant Powergrip
BH:   Andro Rasant Grip

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2011 at 3:30am

Order 37 red and 36 black and you will have no probs with the rebounce.

You can also use Kokutaku 868 @ $39 shipped. Only make sure that you order orange sponge - otherwise you may end up with 20 rubbers cut on the corners. For my RB I am using Corbor - two years now.

mayuki24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mayuki24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2011 at 4:50am
Image how many sheets have you used for your RB? $39 for 20pcs of kokutaku 868 is a great deal though 10pcs of galaxy mercury will cost $40 and will still work great. How's the corbor still doing? 
Nittaku Runlox (C-Pen)

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2011 at 4:58am
I used 12 sheets on a single desk in two raws. No need of more.
$39 shipped, order from ebay. Or 20 shipped for $69

mayuki24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mayuki24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2011 at 5:10am
maybe ill just buy 5 pairs on eacheng which only costs $30 LOL do you have a pic of your RB and what wood do you use and whats the size 1 inch wood? Sorry for being of topic Big smile
Nittaku Runlox (C-Pen)

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2011 at 6:18am
$30 + $23 shipping is more than $39 shipped

I use 10 mm HDF
mayuki24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mayuki24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2011 at 7:59am
1 inch Mdf would do? or half inch of mdf?
Nittaku Runlox (C-Pen)

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2011 at 8:54am
Half inch would be better.
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2011 at 5:58pm
Does anyone know where I can get 38 degrees and harder M2?  I'm going back and forth between the Moon@38 and M2@36 for my FH/BH, and after a few weeks I'm kind of liking the Moon better on my BH.  I also love the spin of the M2 for services(I use primarily FH services), probably due to its very soft and tacky topsheet.  The problem is that the M2@36 is a bit slow for my FH, lifting heavy backspin can barely get over the net, so I wanna try the M2 with a harder sponge.  ttnpp doesn't sell M2 at over 37 degrees, and other places don't seem to give me an option for selecting sponge hardness.

Another solution is to find another cheap rubber that has a soft and tacky topsheet, but with a firmer/faster sponge than the M2.  Anybody know something like that?

EDIT:  I know TTX sells a 41 degree one, but I'm afraid it might be a bit too hard, I'd prefer something like 38-39 degrees.  If I can't find something like that though, I guess I'll just try the 41 degrees.

Edited by dingyibvs - 07/01/2011 at 6:04pm
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
RyKnocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2011 at 7:17pm
I'd probably go with a harder Mars v2 if you can't find a harder M2
BTY Viscaria: FH Black Battle II / BH Red 802-40 2.0mm

Galaxy W-6: FH: FH/BH Yinhe Big Dipper 38*
Antiq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2011 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get 38 degrees and harder M2?  I'm going back and forth between the Moon@38 and M2@36 for my FH/BH, and after a few weeks I'm kind of liking the Moon better on my BH.  I also love the spin of the M2 for services(I use primarily FH services), probably due to its very soft and tacky topsheet.  The problem is that the M2@36 is a bit slow for my FH, lifting heavy backspin can barely get over the net, so I wanna try the M2 with a harder sponge.  ttnpp doesn't sell M2 at over 37 degrees, and other places don't seem to give me an option for selecting sponge hardness.

Another solution is to find another cheap rubber that has a soft and tacky topsheet, but with a firmer/faster sponge than the M2.  Anybody know something like that?

EDIT:  I know TTX sells a 41 degree one, but I'm afraid it might be a bit too hard, I'd prefer something like 38-39 degrees.  If I can't find something like that though, I guess I'll just try the 41 degrees.
Eacheng has 40... just bought a few from them recently. Can ask them before ordering. Else you can try 41 and softern it using Rubber cement glue.
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2011 at 2:27am
Moon 38 feels softer than Mercury 2 36. M2 @ 40 is a good rubber for Balsa and Hinoki blades. Our members like most 36 and 37 d of M2 - and less thick. So I ordered 1.9 mm from Yinhe. They can produce any sponge from 1.8 to 2.3.
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2011 at 2:51am
Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get 38 degrees and harder M2?

eacheng has 38, 39 and 40. I asked ttnpp via skype and he had 38.

That said, remember that:

1) red 37 is two degrees harder than black 37. This is not a coincidence: I ordered many red and black 37 rubbers and this is consistently true. black always bottoms out in opening loops, red never does. Also the sound is completely different.

2) red 37 is more powerful (being harder), but opening loops are much more difficult: the ball bounces more straight. Throw is still as high as the black though.

I found that black 37 is very good at opening loops but lacks power for forehand. The problem with MercuryII (besides poor durability i.e. bubbles) is the lack of gears: it is either good for opening loops and too slow for killing shots, or fast enough for killing shots but not easy for opening loops.

I never tried hardness 38, 39 and 40 because, as I said, 37 red is much harder.
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2011 at 3:20am

That's interesting observation. The very first M2 were vice versa: red 37 = black 36

assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2011 at 4:00am
Mayuki24, see here

Edited by assiduous - 07/02/2011 at 4:01am
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2011 at 2:50am
I made up a blade win murcury11 black 38 and red diamond on a 729 V6 blade, just to test the rubbers, and I find the m11 such a easy rubbers to use , Im a pips user, but will use my test bade when coaching or for fun games,In fact a friend wanted to play me to test his ability and won 3 games around 11-6 average and then he said its because of the pips so I got the test blade out and beat him 11-1 and 11-6 , I find it great for blocking/ at the table spinny push and for a quick loop attack, I could use it on my forehand but not in a powerful situation
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
  Share Topic