Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nexy Lissom reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
ttcyfi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttcyfi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2010 at 1:02pm
FYI Nexy,

Order Number: 20100912015739703GC
Blade Specifications: 86g Flared (FL)
GO MUSTANGS!
Sponsored Links

rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2010 at 8:17pm
Does anyone else experience a disconnect when playing with new blades? Looking back at things, I don't have good experience with anything but my four year-old Bomb - probably has been broken in?

Most recently, a new 729 Bomb, W6, Nexy Spear and Lissom...all have an unsettling feeling of too hard, no enveloping - like using a brick to hit. Is my perspective skewed by having a really, really broken in blade?

Edit: Case in point - today I had a few hits with a basement players paddle. It was an ancient premade DHS with old, dead rubbers on both sides...you would think it belonged to his grandpa or something. Anyways, it was really lively, and I had monstrous loops easy as pie. Really confusing, no? Confused

Edited by rawrtje - 09/11/2010 at 8:37pm
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2010 at 10:24pm
I suppose my review will go here then.

Here are some pictures - sorry, didn't occur to me to take pictures until after I had already dressed and prepped the blade.

Initial Impressions: First couple of hours of use was with a ton of basement players. I only played two competent people, but they were opponents I should not have lost games to, and usually concede around 5 points/game max - today they beat me. My point here is that the setup rattled me a lot coming from 729 Bomb with the likes of H3 Neo, TG3 Neo, Black Power, etc on forehand.

Oh, today's test was with TG3 Neo 41 2.2 on forehand and 802-40 SuperSoft 1.8 on backhand.

The setup is very slow, compared to my Bomb. Slower than the [Nexy] Spear too. It has two natures - ALL/ALL+ on slow shots near the net, OFF- on power shots. This means I found it to have beautiful control on touch shots and kicked it up a few notches when I need the power. Blocks, though, were terrible today. All my blocks went flying up in the air, or died on the blade and hit the table. Granted, I've not played with TG3 Neo except for two hours on the Bomb before, so I'm not at all well-versed in its nature, combined with the great unknown of the Lissom...probably not a good idea.

The blade feels rather stiff, almost dead. Compared to my four-year-old crazily-broken-in Bomb, everything feels stiff and dead (just made this realization after noticing the same sort of feeling in all new blades I've tried since the Bomb), so I'm making the resolution to stick with the Lissom for a looong time, at least until next summer, to see if this breaking-in hypothesis of mine is true or not. Anyways, as such, I had a lot of difficulty really pulling shots off. TG3 Neo is also rather unforgiving, so that might be it too, but I found I had to put a LOT of effort into shots farther away from the table, and still it didn't really have the pace I needed to put pressure on opponents. Flips were beautiful, though. I don't think I've ever made so many pretty forehand flips in my life. The control on offensive shots at the net is astounding. Being stiff but lacking power, though, I think the Lissom is not suitable for short-pips play.

A little bit of vibration. Feels like it is a very versatile blade - changes characteristics depending on shot, almost. I could chop a bit with TG3 Neo, which says a lot! This blade gives you enough finishing power, I suppose, assuming you provide everything else. With the Bomb, I could just whack powerloop after another, and the sheer power of them would suffice to pressure the opponent, inducing errors or making a straight winner. The Lissom forces you pay a lot of attention to tactics, your technique and placement, to make the kill shots work. It drives you into a smarter sort of game. I think it would be very good in terms of long-term development as a player.

I read somewhere that the Nittaku Violin was a very popular blade for CPEN, but people didn't like it as much as the Acoustic. I then read that the Violin needed time to break in to achieve the good feeling and power, as the white ash layer on top was hard and needed time to settle. Maybe this is the case too with Lissom. I'm going to test from now on with H3 Neo (I know its characteristics well), and AIR Scirocco (it seems like a fast inverted), for the next few months and see. For tournaments I still might whip out the Bomb though, to not jeopardize my competitiveness. 

Edited by rawrtje - 09/11/2010 at 10:46pm
tompy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2010 at 3:59am
Even with limba or hinoki veneers the multi ply-principle with perpendicular grains between each two plies allready makes the lamina (much) harder then the woods on themselves are.  A one-ply hinoki will be much softer surface feel then a five ply hinoki. Most blades behave as hard outer / softer core because of this as the core is mosttly  thicker it doesn,t harden as much by this laminating effect. Then the two thin outer and second layers. When I started making blades I used birch plywood for modellplanes and balsa. The thinnest plywood was three plies 0,6 mm total thickness, 0,2mm for each layer. Much harder then even the hardest veneers. The birch-plywood behaves as a membrane lying on a soft thick balsa core.

Edited by tompy - 09/12/2010 at 11:11am
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2010 at 8:13am

stiff and allround+, sounds like an interesting blade. I hope i'll recieve mine soon, I'm really looking forward to try it.

rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2010 at 9:45am
tompy,

So what you are saying is that blades do need a break-in period, for the different wood layers to "meld" together and increase performance? How long does that usually take?

Yeah, I was concerned that it wouldn't be a good fit...given the characteristics set out by people about the Lissom, what Chinese rubber would you think to fit the Lissom?

Dank U wel! Smile
tompy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2010 at 10:41am
Niks te danken :-).

There is not a set period for this I think. Maybe the rate just slows down as a curve, at first relatively quick/steep, during the same time getting used to the new blade. Then - I imagine - it is understood as getting used to the blade thus often un-noticed as a change of the blade itself. Then at a slower rate, less steep, to a degree where you also can,t notice it between two sessions but little bits at the time can count up on the long run to make a significant difference.

Best way to notice it is as in your case when you play someone elses setup and the blade is allready used for a longer period or if you go from a well used blade to a new one. These cases people often start complaining about the build quality having become worse.

I advice rubbers and blades for all - which is about fifteen - players at my club. I know exactly what blade each of them uses and for most for how long as I changed rubbers for them many times and sometimes bought them a new blade. After buying rubbers I often cometo test the setup shortly to know if I made a good combination with the blade and for person, level, style etc. The older blades (all reasonable quality wooden blades, Joola, donic, stiga or butterfly) always seem to have this certain feeling. It,s a feeling like you can pick it up and play with it instantly without the usual time to adapt and no matter what the rubbers are.

In case of the lissom as a sevenply it won,t feel as a stiff blade anymore within ten weeks. Seven plies tend to become more flexible in not too long period. More then five plies where the core has the grains lengthwise to the handle, sevenply means has a core (normally) with the grain perpendicular to the handle.  If you are attentive to it you,ll notice or the core must have the grain  running lengthwise to the handle as an exception.
It depends on the weight of the blade what rubber you can use. Heavier flexible blade you can use heavier rubber on fh and best keep the bh rubber lower weight to avoid a too heavy setup. In you,re case short pips are light. I would use the same rubber first weeks also to notice how it changes for you. Maybe you manage to keep the blocks low ? Then (or immediately) try  black power maybe which should have a somewhat lower throw or Taichi hard. But without a very light bh rubber as in you,re case I would use lighter fh rubber.
How much the bh rubber can influence the fh is fun to test at the end of a training sesssion doing a fh-only practice.
Take off the bh or fh rubber halfway and play five minutes with one side rubber only until the end of the training. Takes a bit time to adapt to the balance change first but you can notice what happens with throw, feel of quickness and how much more control you get for blocking a spinny loop then. And without loss of power.

Edited by tompy - 09/12/2010 at 10:46am
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2010 at 1:57pm
< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">
Wow, lotta good information there Smile

I will give the Lissom time then, to meld the psynergies. With regards to rubbers, it is too late. I have already glued and fitted H3 Neo (high throw) and Air Scirocco SR (have never used, so I don't know how it will be). The setup is significantly heavier, but I am used to heavy setups, so hopefully it will be fine. The Skyline 3 Neo I have heard is low throw, so if I was having issues with the throw, then I think I will have terrible time with H3 Neo. But I am more experienced with H3 Neo, so hopefully it will tell me what is the effect of rubber, and what is the effect of blade.

As a traditional-leaning penholder, I really only care about the quality of my forehand side, so I am more or less unconcerned about the fit of Air rubber for now. After I run through the life of H3 Neo and Scirocco, then maybe I will try Black Power and Red Diamond on fh and bh, respectively. 
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2010 at 4:24pm
I've just started trying to break the blade (and rubbers) in by hitting very hard against a wall, like racquetball in a room with ping pong balls! Anyways, it's a lot of impact, in very short time. Will this break in the blade and rubbers faster than actually playing?

Just wondering, and if there would be any negative ramifications to this way...
speaquinox View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2010 at 4:41pm
I do believe in "break in" for rubbers, especially the Chinese ones. For blades, I wouldn't expect much. If you have any change in the dynamics of your bat in near future, that'll be %95 because of your rubbers. 
Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2010 at 5:04pm
Hi speaquinox, what's the longest time you've used a single blade for? If you've used it a lot (like years), have you really not seen any difference between it and a new blade? 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2010 at 5:17pm
After years, maybe. But after a couple of weeks or even months, no. No significant changes within such period. If you'll wait for years for Lissom to improve dynamics that's your choice for sure. For me, I can't/won't. It'll always be the rubbers that really break in and significantly alter the characteristics of the paddle. 
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2010 at 5:36pm
No I won't wait years haha. Months, for sure. I suppose we'll just have to see. Have you received your Lissom and started testing yet?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2010 at 5:42pm
It seems to have arrived in my country. Will probably get it tomorrow. 
tompy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2010 at 7:15pm
I have played chinese rubber for years, mostly Friendships with often thicker topsheets then lot of other chinese rubbers. I know how they change within the first three to five times (and sometimes, if the topsheet is thick, even longer to be at their best).
With blades fysically the situation is more or less similar. The core compares with the sponge, harder outerlayers with a firm topsheet. Why would it be something for rubbers only but not for a blade ? Fysically that would be peculiar. Soft rubbers don,t need a break in period as much as hard rubbers (topsheet mostly). Wood is even harder then a chinese rubber, if it would follow logic, a blade would need to be "broken in" more and longer then any rubber. Playwise I experience the effects also as more or less similar. The first two weeks and with seven plies more then with 5 plies and hard outer and or second layers more then softer. But no-one should take it from me offcourse, if you don,t notice it you don,t notice it. It,s as simple as that.

But with new rubbers to a new blade the breaking in of the rubbers will camouflage it. Testing different rubbers on a new blade first times of play the change of rubbers will camouflage it. In the days of using fresh glue each time the glue job could always be accounted for any difference from the setup.

Edited by tompy - 09/12/2010 at 7:18pm
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2010 at 9:23am
Originally posted by rawrtje rawrtje wrote:

the case too with Lissom. I'm going to test from now on with H3 Neo (I know its characteristics well), and AIR Scirocco (it seems like a fast inverted), for the next few months and see. For tournaments I still might whip out the Bomb though, to not jeopardize my competitiveness. 
As I've seen lots of C-pen players in Korea, I suggest you use speedier rubber on your forehand side. So, I suggest you use something fast. Scirocco will be ok for BH.

Here are several examples...

Fore Hand : Nimbus VIP / Genius / Tenergy / Sinus / Boost TP / Boost TX / Apollo 37 degree

Any way, I hope you can get your feeling back soon.
It happens even to me.
Some times after I use one blade for a while, it hinders me from designing something new.

Edited by Nexy - 09/13/2010 at 9:26am
Brand Manager of NEXY
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2010 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Nexy Nexy wrote:

the case too with Lissom. I'm going to test from now on with H3 Neo (I know its characteristics well), and AIR Scirocco (it seems like a fast inverted), for the next few months and see. For tournaments I still might whip out the Bomb though, to not jeopardize my competitiveness. 
As I've seen lots of C-pen players in Korea, I suggest you use speedier rubber on your forehand side. So, I suggest you use something fast. Scirocco will be ok for BH.

Here are several examples...

Fore Hand : Nimbus VIP / Genius / Tenergy / Sinus / Boost TP / Boost TX / Apollo 37 degree

Any way, I hope you can get your feeling back soon.
It happens even to me.
Some times after I use one blade for a while, it hinders me from designing something new.

Uh oh. Apollo is not a rubber that fits me, and the rest of those are mechanical grip rubbers. I've been using Chinese hard, tacky rubbers on my forehand all my life - I don't think I'll be able to make the switch without a lot of other issues hampering me down for a long, long time. Confused
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2010 at 11:27am
rawrtje, use what you like on it and give it a whirl. The Koreans I see here who use C-Pen, a lot of them use LP on BH and twiddle. Some have a mean BH smash/drive for winner. Some like to pound it FH. I really don't know UR preferences, but that doesn't matter. You slap on what suits you and go at it, then if it isn't OK, try some patience and change with another rubber(s). Maybe you discover the blade and a certain rubber make you play in a way that improves you long term, maybe not. Still, I expect you to tell it like it is and give the Lissom a shot. I cannot speak for everyone, but I want to see what you have to say after using it every day for a month practicing with players near/above UR level. (Might be too demanding a thing to ask for living in average USA place) (I know, I had it bad for my first few years loving TT) Important thing is you love TT and are going to show us UR best shot at reviewing this thing. Lights are on and cameras are rollin'...
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
tompy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2010 at 11:52am
Often it,s a timing issue also with the weight, different dwelltime, the new rubbers. You will adapt timing and technicque, grip details within two or three sessions. But in case you have a classic penhold bh for blocking I think you,ll better stick with the bomb. I suppose this blade is not made for that technicque.

Does it have the usual grain direction for the middle ply ? By the picture taken from the handle end it seems the grain runs lengthwise.

Edited by tompy - 09/13/2010 at 11:53am
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2010 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by tompy tompy wrote:

I have played chinese rubber for years, mostly Friendships with often thicker topsheets then lot of other chinese rubbers. I know how they change within the first three to five times (and sometimes, if the topsheet is thick, even longer to be at their best).
With blades fysically the situation is more or less similar. The core compares with the sponge, harder outerlayers with a firm topsheet. Why would it be something for rubbers only but not for a blade ? Fysically that would be peculiar. Soft rubbers don,t need a break in period as much as hard rubbers (topsheet mostly). Wood is even harder then a chinese rubber, if it would follow logic, a blade would need to be "broken in" more and longer then any rubber. Playwise I experience the effects also as more or less similar. The first two weeks and with seven plies more then with 5 plies and hard outer and or second layers more then softer. But no-one should take it from me offcourse, if you don,t notice it you don,t notice it. It,s as simple as that.

But with new rubbers to a new blade the breaking in of the rubbers will camouflage it. Testing different rubbers on a new blade first times of play the change of rubbers will camouflage it. In the days of using fresh glue each time the glue job could always be accounted for any difference from the setup.

I am tempted to place my long favored red 999 on Quattro sponged combo on the BH side and also see how the FH works. 999 is an alltime classic allround OFF topsheet that is thick and almost impervious to battle damage. I am using XP 2008 Dawei Super Power with good effect, less tacky and controlable. Maybe I do that next week. I have hit enought to know this rubber's properties.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2010 at 2:33pm
OK, photos first.

Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2010 at 2:34pm
Data and first impressions:

Name: Nexy Lissom
Type: SH-FL
Weight: 88 g (thank you, Nexy!)
Class: OFF-

Played yesterday about an hour with the following rubbers: PME 47.5 FH, Gambler Outlaw 2.2 BH.

For comparison: I played with three combos on that day

a) Nexy Lissom + PME 47.5 FH, Gambler Outlaw 2.2 BH
b) Galaxy T-8 + Palio Blitz 2.2 FH, Giant Dragon Karate Hard 2.0 BH
c) Galaxy W-1 + PME 47.5 2.2 FH, Giant Dragon Karate Hard 2.2 BH

so my impressions are necessarily influenced by the comparisons. T-8 was definitely the less controllable of the bunch. Lissom and W-1 - comparable.

I do not agree with rawrtje that this Lissom is a slow blade. It didn't feel any slower than W-1 with almost identical rubbers. I would safely put it into OFF- category.

What I noticed immediately is how much nicer it was balanced than both Galaxy blades. Also the wings were more comfortable for me - I could put my grip on the handle exactly as deep as I needed to (that's a very subjective thing, though; on Galaxy blades I had to fix that with grip tape and with some filing).

There is a definite flex on shots when you step away from the table - I didn't have any problems returning the ball.

Yes, there is some vibration - 7-ply nature is showing, I guess - the blade is not stiff at all, but it is not nasty and doesn't really bother me that much.

Very nice control in the short game, very good loops etc. So far I like it, but it definitely needs more playtime and I cannot do that this week as I have a tourney on Sunday. After that I will start playing with it much more and will post my second and third impressions, more systematic review and so on.

rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2010 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

I do not agree with rawrtje that this Lissom is a slow blade. It didn't feel any slower than W-1 with almost identical rubbers. I would safely put it into OFF- category.

Isn't the W1 an OFF/OFF+ composite blade? If the Lissom isn't much slower, that is impressive indeed.
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2010 at 3:34pm

Does it have the usual grain direction for the middle ply ? By the picture taken from the handle end it seems the grain runs lengthwise.

From what I see, it does run lengthwise.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2010 at 3:46pm

Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Isn't the W1 an OFF/OFF+ composite blade? If the Lissom isn't much slower, that is impressive indeed.

I would say, W-1 is between OFF- and OFF. More like OFF I guess. The thing is that I put rather fast and harder sponged rubbers on both so the fact that they were comparable in speed could be due (in some significant part) to that. Perhaps if I put softish slower rubbers on both I would then see some noticeable difference in speed of those two fictional combos.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2010 at 4:51pm
Played some more with Lissom.

Here is the thing - it is pretty bouncy. Not in a bad way, but despite its 7-plies it is quite flexible and has a noticeable catapult effect when attacking. Great control in short game nevertheless and no surprises there.

That is a very good quality for loopers but can be a bit offputing for the players who often play flatter kind of game like myself.

So - on one hand - great balance and superb grip; on the other hand, flat game is worse than with Nexy Color and W-1, but looping is wonderful.

I am guessing I will need to install the flattest rubbers I have (Outlaws) on both sides and play with it some more to see if this catapult quality becomes an asset for me as well.

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2010 at 5:07pm
my lissom arrived today. it's a 84 gms st lissom.
tompy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2010 at 5:45pm

From what I see, it does run lengthwise.

It looks like that. Most 7 plies have a middle ply with grain perpendicular. Next layer are constantly perpendicular to that and outerplies are lengthwise then. Just as three plies.
The middle ply with perpendicular grain often adds flexibility and because of that 7 ply is not necessarily stiffer lengthwise.  more layers means more torque resistance and therefor stable.
In case of Lissom it seems more like a five ply build with a three ply core instead of one ply but all three plies have same direction for the grain. This way a soft core (as usual) can be stiffened with two thinner plies of harder wood. Add some stability also (depends a lot on the glue then) but not as much as the usual build. It,s certainly not atypical 7-ply then. More like a reinforced five ply.

With this thickness 88 or 85 gramm means two different blades. It depends where the difference is made but often there is also a slight difference in thickness as the thickness of thinner veneers always can vary a bit. As these veneers are on the outside the difference in playing character can be significant. If Jim T has a heavier one his experience is different then.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2010 at 8:29pm

With this thickness 88 or 85 gramm means two different blades. It depends where the difference is made but often there is also a slight difference in thickness as the thickness of thinner veneers always can vary a bit. As these veneers are on the outside the difference in playing character can be significant. If Jim T has a heavier one his experience is different then.

Well, I specifically asked for 88 g since that is my preferred weight - and I got exactly that. I agree that with a thin blade like Lissom 82 g and 88 g could be noticeably different.

rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2010 at 9:28pm
Had a three hour hit today with H3 Neo and Air Scirocco. These seem to pair well with the Lissom - everything is much more dynamic now, and the catapult effect is more pronounced. The speed is notched up again, enough that I am not frustrated too much with the step down in speed from the Bomb. Like JimT said, this is a good looping blade. H3 Neo + Lissom seems to be a very good setup for counterlooping.

Traditional penhold blocking is ok with much adjustment, but blocking is not this blade's strong point. Two-winged penholders will be much more at ease. The same with hits and smashes. They have decent speed, but it is not a strong point. Aggressive pips-out/flat hitters, look elsewhere, methinks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic