FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

sanding before sealing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sanding before sealing?
    Posted: 09/18/2010 at 5:34am
I want to seal my Lissom with regular Wood Varnish. is it neccessary to sand the the blade first?
what preparation is needed before sealing?
Sponsored Links

Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2010 at 11:55am
Sanding before sealing is not required but for the nicest job, sand with #320 or #400 first. If you sand, use a HARD sanding block. A soft block allows the sandpaper to follow any bumps, ridges, etc already there. Use a hard block and do not run the block over the edge. It will round the edge. Keep all of the block on the blade face. After sanding, use a tack rag to remove ALL sanding dust. Any dust left on the blade will make a small bump after sealing. If you seal and you feel any bumps, use the block again and sand Very lightly. A piece of "used" sandpaper is much smoother than a new piece. Use a used piece if lightly sanding the finish.Smile
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2010 at 11:58am
By the way, this was for a NEW blade. If you have a used blade, it is a must to get ALL the old glue off.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2010 at 12:03pm
If you REALLY want to sand and seal your blade then what hookshot said is the way to go for the sanding part.

I am inclined to NEVER SAND and NEVER SEAL my blades now. I just have to be EXTRA CAREFUL when I remove the rubbers off my blades.

Sanding and/or sealing makes another blade...I know I am stretching it a bit because I am surely not  good enough to feel the difference between a sealed blade and the same blade not sealed. I just think the blade keeps its value much better when it has neven been sanded not sealed/varnished.

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2010 at 12:36pm
I can't speak for sanding but using only one coat of sealer does not change the properties of a blade. Only once you start using 3 or more coats will it make any difference (as well as start adding weight) But one coat doesn't change the way a blade plays.
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2010 at 1:00pm
Having done close to 100 blades, many in pairs so I could compare sealed to unsealed, I can tell you one coat is not detectable on an all+ or faster blade. An OFF + blade would need MANY coats before you could tell the difference. We have done blind tests with other players that could not pick the sealed blade. As far as holding the value, some like to buy a used blade that still looks like new. With the new water based glues, more reason to seal.
foz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2010 at 1:20pm
I work with various grades of wood every day, If you want a very smooth finish that will have no bearing on the playing properties of the blade, this is what you should do;
1. sand blade with 500s paper useing hard flat block going with the grain, then dust off with tack rag.
2. use a 50/50 mix of a quality sanding sealer and acetone to brush quickly over the blade surface.( this will give a quick drying, ultra thin layer).
3. as soon as its dry (about 1-2 mins) buff up vigerously with a soft lint free cloth.
TRY IT! YOU'LL NEVER HAVE BLADE DAMAGE AGAIN !Cool
YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE!
TIBHAR 5Q MAX FH
ANDRO SHIFTER P/S 2.0 BH    
BTY ZHANG JIKE FL
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2010 at 4:39pm
I sealed it without any sanding. thanks for your help.

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2010 at 10:10pm
That is the safest and simplest way which I always do.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic