FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Blades for 44mm balls (large ball)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomas.gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blades for 44mm balls (large ball)
    Posted: 10/14/2010 at 6:23pm
Kokutaku Aggrex
Butterfly large shake special
Nittaku largespear
...these are only few of blades for 44mm ball.

Why new blades? is there anything special at these blades? I know Aggrex and large shake special are very light blades (under 80g). But large shake special looks like ordinary (but light) tamca 5000.
Is it just marketing, or is there anything else?

Kokutaku Bishu no.1 ST - H3N red , BTfly Spinart 2.1 black
Sponsored Links

takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2010 at 7:41pm
the rackets we play with now are for the 40 mm ball.

for the bigger ball you absolutely need a racket with a larger sweet spot.  unless you are able to find a regular racket with a large enough sweet spot, you will have to find an oversized racket, oversized, that is, from the point of view of the 40 mm ball, cuz it's "regular size" for a bigger ball.
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2010 at 9:31pm
What if we use it the other way round, that is we use the blade for 44 mm but we use it for 40 mm ball ? Would it be better ?
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2010 at 11:13pm
i've played with all the stiga oversize blades with both the 40 and 44 mm balls and all of them, with the exception of the stiga allround, were good.  the best ones were the offensive oversize and the carbo oversize.

i would still be playing with them today, if they weren't so heavy.  the problem with oversized blades is that they're too heavy, at least for me. 

that said, the butterfly large shake blades are lightweight--at least one of them apparently is in the low 80's which sounds incredible to me.

anyhow, having a large sweet spot is a great thing, cuz you can have great control and still have speed.  most "regular size" blades have a small sweet spot, so the only way you can have good control is to get a slow blade.  the most notable exception to this is a carbon blade.  you can find a fast carbon blade with good control, cuz they have a larger sweet spot then other regular size blades.
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2010 at 9:31pm

So the blades for 44 mm ball is always larger than the blades for 40 mm ball ?

Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Best99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Best99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2010 at 10:32pm
IDK if they're always going to be larger, because, while playing with larger blades, you're most likely to feel a strange hollow feeling from the blade (in a bad sense). Nexy said something about this in this forum, by the way.
Blade: Timo Boll ALC 92 g.
Forehand: Tenergy 05 2.1 mm. (black)
Backhand: Tenergy 05 2.1 mm. (red).
Perfect loops
tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomas.gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2010 at 5:12am
no, butterfly large shake special has standard dimensions and the one I saw had 76 grams. It is very cute looking tamca 5000, but too light for me at the moment.
Kokutaku Bishu no.1 ST - H3N red , BTfly Spinart 2.1 black
gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2010 at 7:13am
Valor Big Stick, or Valor Shark are great for 44mm play. They are OVERSIZED and have sold a lot in Japan.

CHEERS!!!

Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2010 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Best99 Best99 wrote:

IDK if they're always going to be larger, because, while playing with larger blades, you're most likely to feel a strange hollow feeling from the blade (in a bad sense). Nexy said something about this in this forum, by the way.

Sorry, what is IDK ?

Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Nori View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 12:07am
How about we use a 38mm ball?
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 1:45am
I don't remember getting a bigger paddle when moving from 38mm to 40mm.  Why do I need a bigger paddle when moving from 40 to 44 mm?
gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2010 at 7:37am
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

I don't remember getting a bigger paddle when moving from 38mm to 40mm.  Why do I need a bigger paddle when moving from 40 to 44 mm?
Paddles did increase in size when the ball went from 38 to 40mm. As to an advantage of bigger paddle for bigger ball... More spin due to longer dwell time of ball on paddle.
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic