Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ping Pong Balls not allowed on airplane?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Antmay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ping Pong Balls not allowed on airplane?
    Posted: 11/03/2010 at 9:07am
Hi all,
I'm going to travel domestically in US via airplane soon and one of the item I'm bringing along is 2 dozens of TT balls. One of my TT clubmate was telling me that TT balls are not allowed on the airplane both as carryon and check-in bag.

I went to TSA website and found no mention of such thing.

Can someone here give me more information about this.

Thanks,
Anthony
Sponsored Links

sunny View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2010 at 9:43am
Have not heard of any such restriction. Had been travelling within Canada for last 6 months and carried few balls with me everytime. No issue even when they opened the bag and checked it. Security checked the racket and balls and put it back. I doubt there is any reason for concern.
Antmay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2010 at 10:07am
Thanks Sunny for your reply.
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2010 at 10:12am
I had 6 dozed taken from my carry on. That is one flight out of 10. No way to be sure. I put them in my checked baggage now. Still not sure. If they see the outline on X-Ray, they will check to see what the balls are.

I also had them take my bats and held me up for 30 minutes one time. They wanted to know why the X-Rays did not show wood. It must have been the carbon layers. They finally gave them back.
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2010 at 10:16am
6 dozen could make a serious fire so that's fair enough, just put them in your suitcase and no more problems. I'm sure they take anything that can burn that well, lipo batteries and things like that
metallikviper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metallikviper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2010 at 10:20am
Flew from Charlotte to Indy and back and did not have problems either way. They didn't even take the ball or the paddle out of the case. I can see why more balls would be a problem as they could be a fire hazard or a fire promoter in case of a fire.
Nittaku Vioncello FL
FH: Donic Acuda S2 Max
BH: TSP P1-R 1.1mm
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2010 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Hookshot Hookshot wrote:

I had 6 dozed taken from my carry on. That is one flight out of 10. No way to be sure. I put them in my checked baggage now. Still not sure. If they see the outline on X-Ray, they will check to see what the balls are.

I also had them take my bats and held me up for 30 minutes one time. They wanted to know why the X-Rays did not show wood. It must have been the carbon layers. They finally gave them back.

Maybe they thought you could have filled them with some dangerous gas or whatever...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Phot0n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phot0n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2010 at 12:16pm
With this new 3D Scanner security technology, it's not your TT balls you should be worried about.

Palio TC6 | Globe 999T FH & BH
Palio TCT | Hadou FH, HK1997 BH
Galaxy T-4 | 729 Focus-II FH & BH
snake_eyes View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snake_eyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2010 at 7:12pm
I think that the airline security may have a problem with the white powder substance that is found on the ping pong balls when they are brand new; although they shouldn't be. I once was stopped at the bag x-ray scanner because I had a new net and posts for a new ping pong table and I was told that they looked like weapons, but I explained and showed them the item and they let me pass.
"If there is no perfect moral law-giver, there is no moral law. If there is no moral law, there is no good. If there is no good, there is no evil." -Dr. Ravi Zacharias

Maze ALC Galaxy Moon 2.0 FH/BH
shaolinTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaolinTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2010 at 12:35am
Those TT balls may be OK.
Just don't carry that "Bomb" blade with "X-plode" rubber on board!
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2010 at 2:22am
For those of you that have never done it, Light a ping pong ball on fire sometime. Smile
friendship View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2010 at 3:05am
Originally posted by Hookshot Hookshot wrote:

They wanted to know why the X-Rays did not show wood. It must have been the carbon layers.

lol...hookshot, you terrorist... Big smile if they only knew that bat is actually a weapon, when in your hands and near table... Big smile  Wink Wink
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2010 at 5:06am
He He,
     What surprizes me is I see people carry tennis rackets on all the time. Now there is a potential weapon! Smile
conradsong View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conradsong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2010 at 7:01pm
Not sure what the rules are for passenger flights, but they are considered "aerial detonators" for freight.  Best wishes.
http://ztabletennis.com
FiberPotence ALC - SuperSpin G3 Soft
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2010 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by shaolinTT shaolinTT wrote:

Those TT balls may be OK.
Just don't carry that "Bomb" blade with "X-plode" rubber on board!

LOL
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
shogrran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shogrran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2017 at 7:58pm
My fear is that there will be cases of people and airport employees who aren't familiar with table tennis equipment and will be dumbfounded when they see them for the first time. e.g. in their minds when people play pingpong they only need 1 ball. They haven't seen people train with multi balls - hence their "possible danger" sense will trigger and will take your multiballs away if they see it in your luggage. 

Unfortunately for me I live in a crap shit 3rd world country and the chance this will happen to me is higher than others.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic