Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blade/rubber for inverted pushing game?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blade/rubber for inverted pushing game?
    Posted: 12/28/2010 at 8:30pm
I want to transition from a offensive style game where I make too many mistakes to a more careful game.

Any combo blade & rubber suggestions for inverted pushing and smash game.  Just over the table underspin pushing style - with the aim of making the opponent make the first mistake or pop-up for a kill.  Don't want pips.

Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
Sponsored Links

snake_eyes View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snake_eyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2010 at 8:48pm
You should look for something like DHS Hurricane 2 or 3 or some similar tacky Chinese rubber. If you plan on playing close to the table, you will want something that gives you great spin on serves and close-to-the-table power.

Edited by snake_eyes - 12/28/2010 at 8:49pm
"If there is no perfect moral law-giver, there is no moral law. If there is no moral law, there is no good. If there is no good, there is no evil." -Dr. Ravi Zacharias

Maze ALC Galaxy Moon 2.0 FH/BH
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2010 at 9:24pm
Reflectoid on the Backhand and something not very spinny but smashable on the FH (not a tacky)

pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2010 at 11:32pm
I have an LKT Instinct+2xReflectoid.
I call it my warm up paddle but often I just play with it.
Reflectoid is very easy to play with and does just about everything well but, it is not the best rubber for trading shots way behind the table.  At that point the rubber is best for chopping.   I like Reflectoid on my FH too.  I can do slow spinny openning loops that spin of the opponents paddle or I can tuck the ball close behind the net at an extreme angle where it can't be reached.  I can flick back spin serves or push.  here is no need for speed close to the table.   You should be thinking about how you are going to survive the first few balls.   Reflectoid makes surviving the first few balls easier. 
The best part is the blocking.  If you can get the paddle in front of the ball you can get it over even when the ball is hit extremely hard.  This means that you can survive many hard shots you wouldn't have otherwise.  Often these ball bounce back so fast you catch the opponent admiring his shot only to be surprised.

Pioneer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2010 at 6:12am
Work on your mistakes and try to perfect your strokes 
Blade: Timo Boll ZLF ST
My Feedback

addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2010 at 9:53am
is reflectoid like DHs PF4? 
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2010 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Pioneer Pioneer wrote:

if I wanted to improve my offensive style game that would be the reasonable option.

but if I wanted to improve only my rating fast, i'm thinking the easiest way to win more games is just to let the other player make the first mistake. And to do this I thought i'd switch to a combo more conducive to safe play.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
Pioneer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2010 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

Originally posted by Pioneer Pioneer wrote:

if I wanted to improve my offensive style game that would be the reasonable option.

but if I wanted to improve only my rating fast, i'm thinking the easiest way to win more games is just to let the other player make the first mistake. And to do this I thought i'd switch to a combo more conducive to safe play.
You wanna be a moderate defender oriented player ... then IMO Pips-out rubbers will help you a lot even I noticed that you don't want to use them Wink 
My Feedback

nachalnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nachalnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2010 at 6:22pm
Reflectoid is really good both for chopping and blocking.
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2010 at 6:28pm
At this stage it might sound ok to push over the table and wait for your opponent to miss or pop one up but unfortunately it won't get you very far at all. Once you hit a certain level players simply don't miss very much and just loop pushes for winners. Get an allround blade and keep working on your attack. Slow things down a little and aim to always get your first loop on. If you can do this you are half way there.  
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2010 at 7:53am
Gambler Reflectoid in 1.5 mm. is excellent choice. You will block, push and punch your way through the loopers with it. Thumbs Up
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
ichini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ichini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2010 at 8:47am
actually,if you wait for your opponent to make the first mistake,it won't help you to improve at all,if you don't dare to attack,you'll lose the point,take the chinese players for example,they always attack,they rarely defend,that is the reason why most of them are so successful and can reach the top 10,my coach always says this "always start the attack first and as soon as possible,if you don't attack,your opponent will attack and you'll lose the point",so,only way to improve is by work on your mistakes and perfecting your strokes
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2010 at 9:55am
i'm not aiming for the top 10. :) right now at my level mistakes decide the game not winners.

will try the slower/careful approach and see where it takes me. 
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2010 at 9:56am
Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

Gambler Reflectoid in 1.5 mm. is excellent choice. You will block, push and punch your way through the loopers with it. Thumbs Up

will reflectoid work on a stiga allround nct?
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2010 at 5:50pm
Mark V 1.8mm on a good ALL rated blade....you can push all day till the cows come home. Good advice to work on your strokes though. Becoming passive is not good even for allround style.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Pioneer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2010 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Mark V 1.8mm on a good ALL rated blade....you can push all day till the cows come home. Good advice to work on your strokes though. Becoming passive is not good even for allround style.
Evil advice LOL
My Feedback

Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2010 at 6:39pm
You should learn to attack. Even if you want to be a chopper.

If you miss too much, perhaps you need to learn to pick carefully which balls to attack and which balls to push back. You will always need to attack to pose a credible threat to the opponent, but many times instead of pushing short, you can deliberately push long and spinny to a nasty spot, let them open, then counterattack yourself.

Or learn to attack more spinnily, less speed. The topspin will bring the ball onto the table better.

TT is a marathon, not a sprint.
Nittaku Acoustic FL    T05    Acuda S2 2.0mm
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2010 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by ichini ichini wrote:

actually,if you wait for your opponent to make the first mistake,it won't help you to improve at all,if you don't dare to attack,you'll lose the point,take the chinese players for example,they always attack,they rarely defend,that is the reason why most of them are so successful and can reach the top 10,my coach always says this "always start the attack first and as soon as possible,if you don't attack,your opponent will attack and you'll lose the point",so,only way to improve is by work on your mistakes and perfecting your strokes

this might be good advice for players who are actively working with a coach with multi-ball drills to develop 3rd and 5th ball attacks. in that situation, it is very possible to develop point ending power to get you to the next level (a buddy of mine who trained in China for 6 months went at US1400 and came back US1900 with exactly this sort of attacking evolution).

but for many of us who play only 1-2 times a week, and are significantly lower than US2000, it's frequently enough to practice control and allow our opponents to self destruct. whether you lob, push, fish or block, you can count on opponents making more unforced errors than successful attacks (as long as you have good placement).
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2010 at 7:23pm
wow. From 1400 to 1900 with 6 months of multiball. This is the kind of answer I was hoping for in my robot thread. :)

so in theory I could buy an advanced robot and by summer I may be approaching 2000!
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2010 at 9:18pm

wow. From 1400 to 1900 with 6 months of multiball. This is the kind of answer I was hoping for in my robot thread. :)

so in theory I could buy an advanced robot and by summer I may be approaching 2000!

You need to have a Chinese coach to watch your multiball sessions or it won't work!
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2010 at 9:41pm

Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

will reflectoid work on a stiga allround nct?

Should work good on anything really. It's able to make much more heavy chops than something like Mark V and also blocks better. You can't talk highly enough of it for that kind of backhand, the only choice that's a bit hard to make is do you want it in 1.5mm or 2.0mm that depends if you want to hit strongish topspins with it or not, if not then get the 1.5

chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2011 at 8:08am
I played with Reflectoid on my BH for twelve days as a test to determine if I would go back to smooth rubber on my Bh ,well the answer is no. This rubber blocks reasonably well but a newbie reading all these fantastic posts about Reflectoid will be mislead as this is just an ordinary rubber with little punch and reasonable spin. nothing you won't find in most 729  rubbers. 
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2011 at 8:55pm
You might want to try butterfly tackiness chop if you only defend on the backhand or butterfly tackiness chop II if you sometimes mix attack in on your backhand.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2011 at 10:35pm
as it happens I do have tackiness chop. Very soft and slow and sticky. completely forgot that i have this rubber. will try it next session.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic