Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Galaxy W1 (Wood King) review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AspiringChamp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AspiringChamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Galaxy W1 (Wood King) review
    Posted: 01/10/2011 at 7:49pm

Hi anybody use and like the W1 (Wood king) blade ? Do you have any reviews ?

Also , would it be a good choice with Killerspin Fortissimo rubber ? Any other suggestions for rubbers similar to Fortissimo.

I used to use Refoma with a Stiga CR blade , but my coach said i should go for something which will help me in the power dept. Because i cannot generate a lot of power myself
Sponsored Links

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2011 at 12:13pm
I have played a lot with W-1 (and some other members did as well).

Here is the abridged version of a full review that maybe will be posted at some point in the future. There is also some photos in a thread about W-1 somewhere - google it and ye shalt find.

Name: Yin-He (Galaxy, Milkyway) W-1 (Wood King)
Type: OFF
Plies: 7 Wood + 2 Carbon
Weight: on average around 84-90 g range
Price: approx. $60 but you can find a cheaper one slightly used
Style: offense, loop-kill attack, fast block
Handle: FL (on mine) and ST
Similar to: Btfy Jun Mizutani

This is a carbon blade with extremely good control for such a fast one - speed rated around 9 on a regular Galaxy scale, check here

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14855

It seems that the carbon layers are not second after the outer ones but third. That allows for both better control and less pingy sound... perhaps that answers the question that Cole Ely asked on his website (Why would the "Wood King" have two layers of carbon? - C.E.) because the blade certainly sounds and plays more like a 7-ply not-too-stiff fast blade. His opinion? here it is "To me, this is the best carbon blade I've ever played with. I've had a couple of better players confirm my opinion." (from http://www.colestt.com/compositeblades.php)

It loops just a tiny little bit worse than it's more flexible counterpart W-2 (which is the most expensive out of the old-line non-custom Galaxy blades, around $70). But then it is better in flat game, blocks and smashes.

Control rating is better than for T-8 and ways better than T-4. It is indeed a rather fast (definitely OFF) blade with very good control in both short game and off-the-table attack - naturally it is my subjective estimate as I play with relatively hard-sponged rubbers. However with softer rubbers it can be suitable even for the still developing players in the 1200-1700 range.

My opinion is that - for an offensive amateur player it could be easily be a blade to keep for the length of his entire "career". Just update and upgrade the rubbers, but keep the blade.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2011 at 12:37pm
I agree with Jim's review except its not very similar to the MJ. Its closer to the Innerforce ALC or something like that but slower.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2011 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

I agree with Jim's review except its not very similar to the MJ. Its closer to the Innerforce ALC or something like that but slower.

W-1 is slower than ALC? C'mon that's just not funny Big smile

LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2011 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Its debatable depending on how you measure speed, but wood king has a more "woody" feeling than ALC, and to me the ball comes off a little slower. Of course the ball will travel as far or further. Its been a while since I played with the Wood King (and I was using older speed glue rubbers), so maybe my memories are not accurate, but as I remember it had a sluggish woody feedback--not dwell-- but good carbon power once the ball gets going.

But definitely closer to an Innerforce composite blade than the MJ which has much more flex and crisper/sharper feeling than Wood King.

Edited by LOOPMEISTER - 01/11/2011 at 1:21pm
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2011 at 1:57pm

Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Its debatable depending on how you measure speed, but wood king has a more "woody" feeling than ALC, and to me the ball comes off a little slower. Of course the ball will travel as far or further. Its been a while since I played with the Wood King (and I was using older speed glue rubbers), so maybe my memories are not accurate, but as I remember it had a sluggish woody feedback--not dwell-- but good carbon power once the ball gets going.

But definitely closer to an Innerforce composite blade than the MJ which has much more flex and crisper/sharper feeling than Wood King.

Woodier than ALC - that I totally agree with. I think this is actually a plus. Never played with Innerforce so cannot judge its closeness to MJ Cry

Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2011 at 3:29pm
I have 4 Yinhe W-1 blades. I agree with Jims review 100%. Smile
AspiringChamp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AspiringChamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2011 at 2:13am
Thank you all for the review .
So right now just for fun i tried schalger carbon and i love how it blocks even fast shots away from the table and how i can drive powerful hits away from the table.
However i want a blade which is slightly better when looping esp close to the table and has similar blocking abailities as the schalger carbon? also looking for a lighter blade.
will w-1 give that ?

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2011 at 9:46am
I am not sure about lighter - 85 g perhaps?

And yes W-1 is better than SC in looping and in short game control.

nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2011 at 9:53am
Jim did you ever try the M4? I have a few Galaxy blades but not that one. I think I should have tried that one when I was testing them

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2011 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by nicefrog nicefrog wrote:

Jim did you ever try the M4? I have a few Galaxy blades but not that one. I think I should have tried that one when I was testing them

No, out of M series I have only tried M-1 - very nice ALL+/OFF- blade

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2011 at 12:02am
I have made the W-1 my primary setup temporarily with Apollo on both sides. I have hit with it enough to talk about it.

In short, it feels like a W-6, but a little less vibration (that means it still has some) and faster than a W-6 by 1/2 class. (W-6 felt OFF - and W-6 feels like the high end of OFF -)

You could also say it is like a slightly faster version of the excellent Nexy LISSOM. Similar in speed(W-1 has more)/feel/spin/control.

Speed: OFF- to Low end OFF.
Stiffness: Not very stiff, it is flexy
Weight: Light, 87 gram-ish. (to me) (Normal to most)
Feel: Medium Soft
Handle: FL, felt a little thin, but then EVERY FL handle feels thin to me. I use grip tape.
Finish: Good, but nothing to make a State of the Union address about.

Performance: Drives go fast enough, but you feel the vibration. Feels nothing like the sweet stiffness of the TBS. Opening loops are nice. Plenty of spin and control. Close to the table smashes feel a little soft, but they go in with enough pace to end the point. Powerlooping close to the table makes a very fast ball with extreme spin. You opponent will have problems coping with this shot. But then again, doesn't most everyone have problems defending a powerloop? Looping from mid distance is real nice. Medium loops are like a machine and the fast loops pack the punch and spin. ball drops like it is falling from a cliff. Defensive shots are more possible than you would expect. You can chop block and cut with little issue. Connecting shots are good if you keep it slightly spinny and low AND hit the right place. Those shots paralyze the opponent and give you a next ball to attack. 

All in all, you can succeed with this blade as an All-Out Attacker, a Looper, a combo bat player, or even an Allrounder.

I have good impressions with this blade and am still reluctant to rate this above the TBS. Perhaps with more time I will like it better. I wish it was a little heavier and stiffer. I will keep hitting with this outfit and do a tourney next month.

On the plus side, I visited a TT club I hadn't been to in a few months. I was using TBS then (as always) and this time it was the W-1. That club members definately saw a difference in my play. Can't attribute it all the the blade, I've had some small training and have improved. Still, it was nice to show this improvement using a new blade I have not yet become accustomed to. The Div 1 players there (National Standard, est USATT 2500+) kinda turned their noses up at this Chinese brand of blade and rubbers. They prefer the big name Japanese brands, like BTY. Still, they also had to cope with the speed/spin (when they allowed me to attack) Too bad (for me) (good for training though) that they are too good and can pretty much dictate the point with their placement.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
pengyezhi View Drop Down

Replica Watch Spammer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pengyezhi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2011 at 1:08am
Okay. Well thanks for the reply and advice - I'll just be sure to take ibuprofen saturday-sunday to attempt to eliminate cramps/sickness.

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2011 at 1:15am
I use aquafina to brush my hair. But hopefully my stuffed animal isn't looking. Pervert.
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2011 at 4:37am
i think its time to troll the crap out of these people with ads Smile
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic