FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Timo Boll ALC vs Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2013 at 4:12pm
Pondus, do you also agree that the surface of the TB-ALC is a lot shinier and harder than for Viscaria, as if they have treated it with something?
Sponsored Links

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2013 at 5:52pm
My take on these 2 similar blades:

I recently acquired a 87g FL Viscaria from a BTY dealer. I own a 87g ST TB-ALC. Both are 91g after Tournagrip.

I put same rubbers on both (T05 FH, T80 BH, all max) to check out how the two blades (that I own; others may see different views) differ.

The most significant differences are:
  1. My Viscaria has a fair bit of flex in it. This helps me in my backhand sidespin flick service returns (useful trait) & adds some spin to my opening loops & serves (not so useful trait). My TB-ALC is fairly stiff and hence has better control (in pushes and general timing of rushed shots). In this respect, they don't play like similar blades at all (though the general speed & the ALC behaviour feel the same). This flex is less than in a Innerforce ZLC and certainly a lot less than in the TB-ZLF & IF-ZLF blades. I can see how this flex makes my Vis a much better blade for Chinese rubbers.
  2. My Viscaria has more 'good vibrations' than my TB-ALC (which hardly has any).
  3. The rubbers stick to the surface of my Viscaria much easier than they do to my TB-ALC (or the rest of the TB series that I've owned in the past). It seems to have come with less sealant on it than my TB-ALC. To me, this is a positive trait.
As of now, I'm leaning towards my Vis over the TB-ALC.

However, I'm flabbergasted how in-demand this blade is in US & China. I'm assuming this is not the case in Europe. Pretty sure that a reasonable chunk of that is just due to the CNT players using it. Now, Eugene Wang (here in NA) also seems to have moved to this blade from the IF-ZLC as do many Chinese imports. Hopefully ZJK moves onto some other blade thus bringing down the demand on this one to a more reasonable level.

Edited by slevin - 09/11/2013 at 5:54pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2013 at 7:12pm
slevin, That same surface sealing that you see on TB-ALC is also present on the ZJK blades but not on the TBS.  I personally don't like it much, it changes the way the blade feels a bit and generally I don't like it.  I have been playing with Viscaria since about 2007.  It also annoys me that it is hard to find now!  If only ZJK was not so good! 
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2013 at 10:01pm
Having compared my Viscaria with the TB-ALC for 2 sessions (using the same rubbers on each blade), I now feel that the inner core in Viscaria is truly different than the one in TB-ALC as the BTY marketing spiel suggests: Balsa vs Kiri.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2013 at 11:35pm
I still wonder, though, if the difference is in the inner core, or if it is something they do to the top ply of their newer models, or even something different in the gluing process?  I don't know much about wood, but I always wondered why Btfly would give incorrect information about the composition of their blades, and that favors your conclusion.  But people who seem to know a lot about wood always seemed convinced it couldn't be balsa in the core of a Viscaria.  I have never felt competent to give an opinion on that, other than to say that it seems somewhat less pliable than other balsas I have seen in blades.     
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2013 at 8:22am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I still wonder, though, if the difference is in the inner core, or if it is something they do to the top ply of their newer models, or even something different in the gluing process?  I don't know much about wood, but I always wondered why Btfly would give incorrect information about the composition of their blades, and that favors your conclusion.  But people who seem to know a lot about wood always seemed convinced it couldn't be balsa in the core of a Viscaria.  I have never felt competent to give an opinion on that, other than to say that it seems somewhat less pliable than other balsas I have seen in blades.     

I think the difference has more to do with the top ply, and handle shape.  If I have been with the Viscaria for a while, and switch over to TBALC, I can see that the TB is harder, yet a bit dull (lack of feeling). OTH if I have been playing with the TBALC for a while, and switch back to Viscaria, I feel the Viscaria is rough, and it take a bit longer to adjust.  Over all I like the TBALC better, because I like ST handle more, and play with it more than the Viscaria.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2013 at 10:38am
For sure, it is not that hard to adjust from one to the other, they are enough alike, but I certainly have a preference for one.
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2013 at 5:33pm
There is no wrong information, viscaria has a balsa core, no wonder among all the alc blades it is the only one that has a soft feel. There is no miracles it is the balsa.
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 BH
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2013 at 6:43pm
Yeah, Butterfly must be such idiots to put anything but balsa in their core.
cede1975 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cede1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2019 at 9:40pm
Viscaria is the same compo as TB ALC, kiri core, but different balance due to blade shape and handle design. generally viscaria is tip heavy more harder than TB ALC. These are all general facts.

balsa core is viscaria light, the durability of balsa core blade is just shyte. keep in mind just by smashing alone repetitively by an adult can damage the core within weeks. No one in right mind would want a balsa core blade especially when balls get heavier. That is why viscaria light is obselete.
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2019 at 10:10pm
Viscaria doesn't have Balsa core or else it would weigh 70g. Balsa is nearly half the weight of Kiri(Paulownia) . You cant have Kiri core blade and a balsa core blade of the same thickness weigh the same(Unless serverly different weight handles). Kiri is known as Japanese balsa and that's where the translation issue came from.  The difference between TB ALC and Viscaria is in the wings and handle. It's the same difference between all the Koto / ALC blades.  You want the softest feeling ALC get Kenta. You want the fastest get TB ALC. Realize depending  on Epoxy cure and weight that they will over lap. I know this is an old post but let's get the facts straight

Edited by jpenmaster - 03/12/2019 at 10:18pm
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic