Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Deceptive Looping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
2wingloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2wingloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deceptive Looping
    Posted: 01/20/2011 at 6:21am
Hey guys, I ve been looping for quite a while now about a year and a half and have become pretty good/consistent with looping now...... Can generate loads of spin in the loop and decent speed..........
But now that im playing against way stronger opponents,im learning that consistent,spinny /very spinny loops are not just enough....... but a good amount of disguise and decepton is needed to throw him off the guard!
I mean the art of looping such that it looks like ur gonna hit it to one side but hit it to the other....
So,if any of u have any advice/tips or links to any videos/tips etc, it would be really helpful!Smile
Stiga O.C WRB/Donic Coppa JO Gold (FH)/Yasaka Mark V (BH)

Stiga O.C WRB/Donic Coppa X1(Turbo) Platin(FH)/Xiom Vega Europe (BH)
Sponsored Links

Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2011 at 7:05am
Similar ish to my FH. I dont hit hard so i rely on my spin and placement. U will learn the angles quickly when playing better opponents. One good one to always add in is the side/top spin shot from the FH. Makes u achieve a very wide angle. Mixed with good spin they can be very difficult to return if the player doesnt read it correctly
Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88
2wingloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2wingloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2011 at 7:16am
Originally posted by Ndragon88 Ndragon88 wrote:

Similar ish to my FH. I dont hit hard so i rely on my spin and placement. U will learn the angles quickly when playing better opponents. One good one to always add in is the side/top spin shot from the FH. Makes u achieve a very wide angle. Mixed with good spin they can be very difficult to return if the player doesnt read it correctly
very true!
I am these days forced to hit wider and wider angles against stronger opponents ....dont mix enough sidespin though.....gotta try that!!Smile

But the main thing i was lookin for was how to make ur loop look deceptive......

And Ndragon88 since u rely on spin too....while hitting very spinny loops,usually the ball breaks(spins) off away from me when blocked softly and sometimes i miss while trying to loop again...... does this happen with u too..?
If so any tips ? 

Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2011 at 8:04am
yes haha happens to be often. I just posted a new edit of myself up here. watch it and u will see how many times that happens.

I think the only tips i can give (im currently reviewing my game) is that when u give heavy topspin and its blocked back u dont have to re spin it. instead u just drive it hard. 
Another (if u have enough time) is to hit different spots on the blade head. for example. Hit the very centre sometimes and other times try and connect at the side. It will give more spin that the centre but it looks like a very similar shot. Often will the opponent read it wrong or react too late giving u a slightly easier shot to play against

Hope that helped
Stiga Clipper
2wingloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2wingloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2011 at 8:29am
Hey thanks for the inputs man......... !!
Im generally more loop happy than driving ........ but then again i guess driving that blocked ball is a better option! Will try drving it even though my drive is nt as consistent as my loop!Ermm Anyways i will be playing in the night so will try and tell u how it goesSmile

Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2011 at 10:54am
2wingloop, looks like you've summarized 2 issues.

1. Your loop is consistent, but against better players, you get consistent response and can't win points just because you loop anymore.
2. Your opponents don't block the loop all the time, they counter - and they counter with sidespin that makes the returned ball kick on you. You're not seeing the sidespin or not following it, so you're trying to learn deception in order to prevent the opponents from returning your loop.

Well, I have some advice for you. Don't work on deception quite yet. Use the opponents skills as the means of training. As you get better, you will find that better players are capable of returning a deceptive shot as well. So it won't automatically guarantee a winner.

Like NDragon said, you must instead use placement. I have a feeling that your shots are returned because they are predictable - they always go to the same spot. You must learn to vary placement and depth ( where the ball bounces on the table ). Once you learn placement, deception will become an easier skill to learn because you will not worry about missing the table, you will have placement experience to land the shot.

Regarding opponent's responses and counter loops, there is more to looping outside of consistency. Footwork is something vital. I have a feeling that you're missing those counter loops because after your loop, you do not move. Remember, that you need to move away on opponents counter loops, but make sure to move away just enough to take the ball on top of the bounce or slightly after on a long shot and move in to the table on short shots and take the ball before the top of the bounce or at the top of the bounce the latest.
Back to table tennis...
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2011 at 10:54am
You can setup as though you will hit inside out and then contact the ball earlier to hit down the middle or on the diagonal.

There's something called a fake loop. Your swing and effort level should look like that of a regular loop, except they both belie how relatively little topspin there actually is on the ball. Theoretically, when your opponent blocks the ball, it will go into the net because he has overcompensated for the topspin which is not there. I don't know how well this can work, because experienced players can distinguish the kind of shot by the sound of your contact and the trajectory of your shot.

You can always use what the Chinese call the "quick carry" against loops. It's essentially an abbreviated loop, executed over the table, brushing the ball on the rise. Alternate this with your regular loop to upset your opponent's timing.

The more difficult thing to do, I guess, is alternating the length of your loops to land short with a lot of spin or land deep with plenty of speed and/or spin, while not hitting the ball too high over the net to give your opponent less time to react.
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2011 at 11:41am
Originally posted by 2wingloop 2wingloop wrote:

Im generally more loop happy than driving ........ but then again i guess driving that blocked ball is a better option! Will try drving it even though my drive is nt as consistent as my loop!Ermm Anyways i will be playing in the night so will try and tell u how it goesSmile

Don't use that shot all the time. Just something for u to try so u can mix up the game a little.
Good luck :)

Originally posted by Leshxa Leshxa wrote:

As you get better, you will find that better players are capable of returning a deceptive shot as well. So it won't automatically guarantee a winner. 

Like NDragon said, you must instead use placement. I have a feeling that your shots are returned because they are predictable - they always go to the same spot. You must learn to vary placement and depth ( where the ball bounces on the table ). Once you learn placement, deception will become an easier skill to learn because you will not worry about missing the table, you will have placement experience to land the shot.

+1
Also when u get to a higher level u will definitely find people can return shots a whole lot easier. And spin alone just doesnt cut it. You NEED speed and power in ur shots. A little spin can be sacrificed for more speed which i think is essential at a higher level of table tennis. This is my biggest problem when playing better people. Without my angles and decent serves i dont think i would be able to compete with them.

Edited by Ndragon88 - 01/20/2011 at 11:42am
Stiga Clipper
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2011 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Ndragon88 Ndragon88 wrote:

Don't use that shot all the time. Just something for u to try so u can mix up the game a little.
Good luck :)

Originally posted by Leshxa Leshxa wrote:

As you get better, you will find that better players are capable of returning a deceptive shot as well. So it won't automatically guarantee a winner. 

+1
Also when u get to a higher level u will definitely find people can return shots a whole lot easier. And spin alone just doesnt cut it. You NEED speed and power in ur shots. A little spin can be sacrificed for more speed which i think is essential at a higher level of table tennis. This is my biggest problem when playing better people. Without my angles and decent serves i dont think i would be able to compete with them.

Thumbs Up
Back to table tennis...
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2011 at 9:39pm
You can add in flat hitting after a spinny opening loop to keep your return fast and powerful but deceptive and if hit back has a good chance of going in to the net.
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2011 at 2:19am

I mean the art of looping such that it looks like ur gonna hit it to one side but hit it to the other....

this is going to be very hard to execute if you're not used to it. first you need footwork to get into the right position where you can hit either side with a nice drive. then the tricky part is a mix of timing and the angle if your wrist. by playing around with this you can pretty much hit down the line and also cross corner with a nearly identical swing motion.
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

2wingloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2wingloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2011 at 2:22am
@Leshxa:Hey thanks for the great piece of advice man........ Tongue
As u rightly put it footwork is one area i need to really work on now to get to the next level!!
And abt the "counter with sidespin", generally even when i play with players of my level , when i load a loop with very heavy spin, even on a normal block,the ball breaks away.........
But incidentally yesterday,i was trying to play more of a drive than a loop for that shot(as per NDragon88 s suggestion)......and guess what i was able to return most of them!!Big smile
And i can place the loop pretty decently but gotta start workin on the depth !

Edited by 2wingloop - 01/21/2011 at 2:23am

2wingloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2wingloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2011 at 2:26am
@Ndragon88:Hey played yest for quite a while..... and i was frankly surprised by how well i could drive Smile.
Have nt been driving for a while now....its been only heavy spinny loops and then a flat kill of a bad block! But yeah yest i was sacrificing spin for speed and driving the ball and it worked just fine.....
Yeah and wil def try to mix it up.....
Thanks again!

Edited by 2wingloop - 01/21/2011 at 2:27am

2wingloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2wingloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2011 at 2:31am
@tpgh2k & @racquetsforsale : Thanks for the inputs!! will try working on them!
@ Thaidog: Hey thats something i do!! but only off badly executed high blocks.....

Edited by 2wingloop - 01/21/2011 at 2:32am

Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2011 at 10:31am

when i load a loop with very heavy spin, even on a normal block,the ball breaks away.........
But incidentally yesterday,i was trying to play more of a drive than a loop for that shot(as per NDragon88 s suggestion)......and guess what i was able to return most of them!!Big smile
And i can place the loop pretty decently but gotta start workin on the depth !

Im happy to hear it helped u out.
The ball breaking away is probably most of ur spin if not all.
Actually a perfect example for u is Chen Weixing. When someone gives Chen a lot of spin he will often just guide the ball back on the table. So if u are not confident with the spin on the ball when blocked back just guide it back. U will be surprised just how easy it is for u to place it where u want
Stiga Clipper
Ashes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2011 at 11:33am
Hey 2wingloop, being able to hit loops constantly is a great place to be.

Can you play with your timing? And by that I don't mean when you take the ball but when you start your swing. Because you can use two totally different strokes while taking the ball at the top of the bounce. One stroke would be starting the movement after the ball bounces on your side of the table but going at medium speed towards it and another would be waiting a bit more and swinging really fast - explosive movement. The first kind of stroke is very easy to predict while the second is extremely difficult without taking into account the fact that the loop will be both more spinny and faster.
Blade: YEO FH: H3P BH: Pryde 40
PanPong View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanPong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2011 at 10:48pm
This thread was a bit different than what I expected. When I think of deceptive looping I imagine deception when imparting spin on the ball. Being able to vary the spin on your loops will catch a lot of inattentive players off-guard. 
2wingloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2wingloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 2:35am
@Ashes:Hey I kinda use the first kinda stroke that u mentioned...... but i dont think imo the second kinda stroke will have more spin....
Basically when looping a ball these are the points i remember....
1)Take the ball in front. (side-front)
2)Play with a closed blade angle. (more closed blade= more spin)
3)As short an action as possible!

@PanPong:Hey yeah......what u said also qualifies as deceptive looping...... but i ve kinda got that decption in my loops...... However thats why i had mentioned in the first post that deception as in aiming at one side and hitting at the other....

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 2:39am
IMO a bigger back swing helps to conceal the direction of the loop. Like so your arm is pointing away from the table and you can hit down the line and cross court. 
2wingloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2wingloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 3:02am
@kenneyy88: Hmm......While a bigger swing might help disguise...... would nt it make it harder to get back in position and go for the next loop?!

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 3:22am
Yea there are tradeoffs of everything. Bigger stroke, you need to train a faster recovery. Also you need different lengths of backswings for different occasions. 
Ashes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 6:30am
<<@Ashes:Hey I kinda use the first kinda stroke that u mentioned...... but i dont think imo the second kinda stroke will have more spin....>>

The second stroke is more sudden and faster, therefore, swinging faster you will impart more spin (just like serving) and also the opponent will have less time to react. However, swinging faster doesn't mean more drive... you can still take it in front of the body, still with a closed bat and still very short arm movement.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 6:59am

I would think that you have arrived at the conclusion that your loop needs to be 'deceptive' because of your experience of playing stronger players and finding it hard to read where they are putting the ball. You are barking up the wrong tree, they are placing the ball where you least expect it because they have an awareness of where you are in relation to the table and simply have more time to play their shots, there is no simple technical detail that you can apply to enable you to be able to do this, it comes to you as you improve as a player to varying degrees of competence.

When you are looping at better players, they always read you directionally because they are looking at your bat before you hit the ball, getting into really advanced play, players use last minute wrist variation to counter this, but you have to walk before you can run, what is the point of directionally based deception if you are not aware of where your opponent is? you might be playing the ball just where he wants it.
Having said that, the most widely accepted method in technique for f/hand topspin deception is to have a good early backswing with your shoulder completely 90deg to the table, shaped up as if you are going to drive down the b/hand diagonal (always) to hook just contact slightly earlier, the stroke will look the same, unlike shaping up for a fade which is readable.
The Older I get, The better I was.
2wingloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2wingloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 7:18am
@APW46:Hey that indeed is a quite diff perspective....... So what do u think i must work on now in order to play upto their level...?

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 7:23am

@APW46:Hey that indeed is a quite diff perspective....... So what do u think i must work on now in order to play upto their level...?
 Not Different, just not covered by those previously. What must you work on? using your peripheral vision to be aware of your opponents intentions, otherwise known as 'reading the game'
2wingloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2wingloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 7:52am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Not Different, just not covered by those previously. What must you work on? using your peripheral vision to be aware of your opponents intentions, otherwise known as 'reading the game'
Hey could u please care to elaborate more?
What way should i go about reading the game? Any tips/points to lookout for would be great!!

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 6:01pm
You need to stop ball watching, especially in the short game (at the start of rallies) as soon as you have struck the ball, look straight at yr opponents bat, (don't watch your shot) pich the ball up as it hits your opponents bat. It gets impossible as the rally develops, but at the start this is easy. For instance, when I serve, I am looking at my opponents bat before he hits the ball, allways.
Ashes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2011 at 8:47am
You need to stop ball watching, especially in the short game (at the start of rallies) as soon as you have struck the ball, look straight at yr opponents bat, (don't watch your shot) pich the ball up as it hits your opponents bat. It gets impossible as the rally develops, but at the start this is easy. For instance, when I serve, I am looking at my opponents bat before he hits the ball, allways.

Do you watch the ball as it is coming towards you from the opponent? A coach told me to follow it with my peripheral vision but I noticed that some of the pros pay close attention to it.

Edited by Ashes - 01/25/2011 at 8:48am
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2011 at 11:13am
It's ideal to track the ball as it comes towards you. Some follow the ball with their eyes for as long as humanly possible until they don't really see it anymore just before they contact the ball, but they still look at the approximate contact point. Others track the ball with their peripheral vision only, once it has crossed the net, and don't even look at the approximate contact point. That works only if you play enough and can judge the trajectory of the shot correctly to extrapolate the contact point. Kind of like when players serve: most stop tracking the ball at some point during its descent and don't look at the contact point. I think it's important not to move your head too much as you track the ball, because it is quite heavy and throws off your balance.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2011 at 8:21am
Originally posted by Ashes Ashes wrote:

Do you watch the ball as it is coming towards you from the opponent? A coach told me to follow it with my peripheral vision but I noticed that some of the pros pay close attention to it.
 You have to pay close attention to it as it comes in from your opponent, but you don't have to watch it at all between you striking it, and it striking your opponents bat, which is where you pick it up again. Think about it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic