Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

penhold grips--XX, ML, WH

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
capablanca8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capablanca8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: penhold grips--XX, ML, WH
    Posted: 01/22/2011 at 2:01pm
I know there have been threads on this before, but I have been struggling a bit with my penhold grip, and I need some help.  Here are pics of Xu Xin, Ma Lin, and Wang Hao gripping their blades.  These pics are from a previous thread--"The Most recent equipment used by Chinese pros" started by michaelt_tian.  These are terrific pics of 3 different ways of gripping the blade, and I hope it's okay that I'm pasting these pics here.  QUESTION:  How do you all hold your penhold blade?  Which grip do you prefer and why?  And how do you modify your grip depending on whether you're doing serves, fh, bh, trad'l bh, rpb, loops, etc.  Thanks!

(My grip is close to what ML is doing below.  But my coach wants me to do a more XX grip.)

Xu Xin

Ma Lin

Wang Hao

Any other good pics of cpen grips?  Esp. doing different things--fh, bh, etc.
Sponsored Links

liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2011 at 2:10pm
thanks for the closeups, they're really helpful.  I would say my grip is similar to Xu Xin's, even though RPB is my primary attacking form (like Wang Hao)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capablanca8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2011 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

thanks for the closeups, they're really helpful.  I would say my grip is similar to Xu Xin's, even though RPB is my primary attacking form (like Wang Hao)
Does your grip change when you go from FH to RPB? And do you spread out at least a couple of fingers in the back?
rookies View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2011 at 2:39pm
My grip is similar to WH's grip.
Timo Boll Spirit

FH: Hurricane 3 Neo

BH: Coppa X1 Turbo

My Feedback
mayuki24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mayuki24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2011 at 5:07pm
if you're a rpb penholder try to imitate the grip of wang hao or ma lin which is easy to do. by doing rpb you should not grip the blade to hard when hitting the ball loosen the grip for a while then hit it... you should know what is the best for you. which are you comfortable with? if so choose that... and last in every shot you will manage your grip, loosen it or tighten it. hope it helps thanks!
Nittaku Runlox (C-Pen)
FH:    Andro Rasant Powergrip
BH:   Andro Rasant Grip

enky4u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enky4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 9:57am
Can you post pictures of how Ma Lin, Wang Hao and Xu Xin hold the paddle on the other side (with the last 3 fingers) ?
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 5:17pm
I am also a penholder with reverse and traditional backhand. 
One word of caution when viewing those pictures: I think the best grip depends on your hand/finger size and how bulky the paddle is. 

As long as your grip is firm and it doesn't restrict your wrist flexibility (for example, the placement of the three fingers on the back will affect the angles you can get a great deal), I think anything you find most comfortable and fatigue-free will be good.

What's harder to spot is how the grip changes. For example, you may apply thumb pressure on some strokes but apply index finger pressure when you backhand push (traditional style).

Sandiway
enky4u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enky4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2011 at 1:25am
Hi Sandiway,

can you post pictures on how you hold bat?

sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2011 at 1:42am
Sure. I have posted about this before. See:

http://sandiway.blogspot.com/2010/12/shenzhen-ping-pong-penhold-grip.html

BTW, I have the Gu Shi paddle. It is an interesting innovation but I fin d it's too heavy to play with for more than 5 mins.
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2011 at 6:19am
Xu Xin needs to clip his nails. I don't know how he does it. When I play penhold and my nails are long, it is a pain.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capablanca8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2011 at 3:16am
These are from another My TT thread, "Xu Xin's penhold grip."  Apologies for duplicate images, but I think someone in this thread requested backhand side images. 

Xu Xin

Wang Hao

Ma Lin

Edited by capablanca8 - 01/28/2011 at 3:19am
lifewire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lifewire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2011 at 8:55am
I'm a penhold player with long fingers. The way I hold the front of my bat is the same as Wang Hao using my Hao 656 blade.

I own a Stiga blade similar to Xu Xin and when using it, I need to adopt the same grip as he does. The reason is because the Stiga blade is wider and forces the fingers to grip the way they do.

I am more interested in the backhand fingers of these players. Recently, I've been practicing a lot of RPBs, and serves and my back three fingers are starting to hurt. I feel there is something wrong with my grip.

I hold similarly to Ma Lin, except with an even more curled third finger. Using this grip, I can RPB loop perfectly, however I can't open up the bat without feeling immense pressure and pain on my fingers.

As a result, I was experimenting and I've found that by straightening the fingers like Japanese penholders, I was able to open the back racket more and flat hit with much more power than usual. The way the blade is held on the back is similar to what Xu Xin is doing on the first two pictures. In doing so, there is no way to traditionally penhold block. Which made me think 'is this the reason why Wang Hao can't traditionally block?'

I'm reluctant to adopt a jpen grip for obvious reasons:

1. I want to know what Japanese penholders never reverse loop if it is better to do so using their grip?

2. I'm afraid that by holding it that way, I will no longer have a traditional block

3. If I want to still have a traditional block, then I have to quickly curl my fingers up again during the point. This seems tedious.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the photos....

Edited by lifewire - 02/06/2011 at 8:57am
lifewire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lifewire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2011 at 12:30am
Ok, so I've done some further reviewing today and it turns out that I wasn't holding the bat firm enough by having the last few fingers at the back too low. After changing it, I am getting much higher quality shots both in the forehand and backhand. I would refrain from holding it like Xu Xin, but follow Wang Hao or Malin instead.
enky4u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enky4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2011 at 1:20am
hi lifewire,

can you post pictures of your grip?

thanks

sweetstrike View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2011 at 4:33am
Does anyone have pictures of the forehand side during rpb? I want to know how much they are changing their index finger hook?
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2011 at 7:07am
Erm, I don't think that above picture of Xu Xin's grip is accurate. That's just him holding it at the moment when he's not in play. Sometimes he holds it shakehand when he's not in play, you wouldn't really believe that's how he holds it all the time, would you? I believe he just holds it just like any regular Chinese penholder -- same way as Ma Lin, for example. The only other vastly different way, as far as I know, is Wang Hao's grip, which is higher near the handle for more rotation.

Here are some action shots of Xu Xin in the middle of play:

juanal07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juanal07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2011 at 5:17am
Hello, excuse me for my English, I'm Spanish and I translated by google translator. I am a penhold player, as I like to play is as xu xin (as wang hao I also like but I prefer a larger grip.) My problem is I do not really know how to put your fingers on the upside and on the right. I do not know to where to cut the rubber right. When I play my fingers hurt a little inside out but it may be due to lack of training.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

stefashka View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefashka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2011 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by juanal07 juanal07 wrote:

My problem is I do not really know how to put your fingers on the upside and on the right. I do not know to where to cut the rubber right.

This is a very individual thing. For a Chinese penhold racket, I always put rubber on the blade and try it with my normal grip before gluing to find the most comfortable position, usually it's about 1 cm from the blade, but it really depends on the thickness of the blade and of the BH rubber. I'm also sanding my penhold blades, so it may be also a thing you should try...
Darker 7P-2A CP - Dignics 09c, TSP Curl P3α
juanal07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juanal07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2011 at 5:19am
Tranks you
juanal07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juanal07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2011 at 10:37am
Could someone put photos of Xu Xin backhand?
jkillashark View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkillashark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2011 at 7:18pm
The farther the index finger is from the thumb you will usually have a more comfortable forehand grip.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH: Black DHS Neo Hurricane 3 Blue Sponge National
BH: Red Butterfly Tenergy 80

Footwork and forehand is always the answer.
AnthonyTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnthonyTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2011 at 7:22pm
I thought it was just a matter of what position is most comfortable. If you hold the paddle with a grip that feels awkward to you, the shots will most likely be awkward as well. Just an opinion but I think you should go with the grip that you feel most comfortable and efficient with and not what the pros do. Notice they all do penhold but grip it slightly differently. Its just a matter of being comfortable and efficient. Sometimes it works well if you just dont even think about it and pick up your paddle in penhold form. Look at your hand and sometimes you'll find that is the most comfortable to work with.
juanal07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juanal07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2011 at 9:44am
thanks for the answers
Penhold_Boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penhold_Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 12:50am
I wonder how much damage these guys have on their fingers playing Penhold? Ermm
------------------
Current Setup:
Grip - Penhold
Blade: Ma Lin Extra Offensive
FH: Adidas P7
BH: Nittaku Hammond Pro Beta

Old Setup:
FH: DHS Skyline 3 NEO
BH: Butterfly Sriver G3 FX

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic