Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best short pip rubber for chopping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nachalnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nachalnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best short pip rubber for chopping
    Posted: 01/31/2011 at 5:11pm
What's the best SP rubber for chopping? Thanks in advance for an advice.
Sponsored Links

roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2011 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by nachalnik nachalnik wrote:

Friendship 802 (regular, not 802-40) or TSP Spectol 1.8mm.  I like 802 better for chopping, but Spectol is better for counter-attacking when needed.
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2011 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Friendship 802 (regular, not 802-40) or TSP Spectol 1.8mm.  I like 802 better for chopping, but Spectol is better for counter-attacking when needed.

i agree... just add some observations...

spectol is a raw pip (softer) and the sponge under regular spectol is super soft... i sometimes almost feel like it grabs on to the ball too much... and sometimes the soft sponge gives a to much bounce/catapult for me it is hard to keep it low when chopping a hard loop/ drive... i would imagine harder sponge is better... i think Hao Yin Chao uses chop sponge 1.5 under his spectol...

802 is a cooked pip so the top sheet is harder so even with the extra soft sponge from zeropong it actually feels better to me when chopping... it feels like the ball glides across the rubber better...

but that being said... i feel like i can manipulate the spin better with spectol then 802....   

just to add i really liked Dr Evil and Peacekeeper OX for chopping... but not enough for the offensive game...

Edited by JohnnyChop - 01/31/2011 at 6:12pm
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2011 at 6:52pm
Please take note though, what the best rubber for the best player is not the same as what the best rubber for everyone else is. People who don't have 40 hours a week to train and pro coaches may not have the precision in racket angle to be able to use the thickest sponge, spiniest short pip effectively...

So while Hao Yingchao or Ding Dong may have used something, doesn't mean you should necessarily...there's a reason there's only like 2 pro short pip male choppers, and they are both Chinese/Chinese trained.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2011 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Jonan Jonan wrote:

Please take note though, what the best rubber for the best player is not the same as what the best rubber for everyone else is. People who don't have 40 hours a week to train and pro coaches may not have the precision in racket angle to be able to use the thickest sponge, spiniest short pip effectively...

So while Hao Yingchao or Ding Dong may have used something, doesn't mean you should necessarily...there's a reason there's only like 2 pro short pip male choppers, and they are both Chinese/Chinese trained.

True... Short pips are too fast and difficult to chop most adult men's all-out 3rd ball attacks.  Even with the "easiest" long pips known to players it's still a very daunting task. 

Just imaging facing a World top 50 male player who could serve with enormous spin and placement variations, and then launch a blistering kill to anywhere on the table... Try to chop that!   Big smile
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2011 at 7:22pm
Also while 1.8mm sponge may be great for chopping 10+ feet from the table like how pros do, to do so requires an insane amount of athleticism and great footwork, and of course opponents who actually can loop that hard and consistently, otherwise they loop and then if you manage to chop it back, will just push/lift it short, making you run back and forth. 

Sticking to a medium range strategy and setup is realistic and wont punish your short game, aka 1.0-1.2mm sponge for mid-range 0.6mm for short game.

Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

True... Short pips are too fast and difficult to chop most adult men's all-out 3rd ball attacks.  Even with the "easiest" long pips known to players it's still a very daunting task.  

Just imaging facing a World top 50 male player who could serve with enormous spin and placement variations, and then launch a blistering kill to anywhere on the table... Try to chop that!   Big smile

I've been developing my defensive game well, but players who are killing me still are the ultra-offensive guys with very spiny, quick, wristy opening loops to the corners. The ones who really attack it, but with deception so I can't back up and defend in time. I play better against 1900-2100 allaround/combination players than 1600 level guys who use that quick, all in the wrist whipping opening loops to the corners. It really is all about the deception and not being able to anticipate where they are going with it, like Joo vs Ma Lin...

Edited by Jonan - 01/31/2011 at 7:28pm
nachalnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nachalnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2011 at 7:40pm
So, I guess if I go with 802 on 1.5mm sponge I can't go wrong for short to mid-range chopping?
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2011 at 7:53pm

So, I guess if I go with 802 on 1.5mm sponge I can't go wrong for short to mid-range chopping?

Long pips is better for backhand chopping if you don't mind using it.  Chopping with short pips is extremely difficult to do well against 2000+ players.  If you must use short pips to chop, then I'd say black 802 w/ 1.5mm Super Soft sponge is the way to begin.
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2011 at 9:45pm
Unfortunately the reason Jang Song Man and Hao Yingchao are so fun to watch is because people keep getting back their chops, they have to balance out some pretty awesome offense for the lesser backspin.
gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 6:11pm
Valor Premier - CL

CHEERS!
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

ma View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 7:35pm
you should try long pips.
Blade:Petr Korbel
FH:Tenergy 64
BH:Tenergy 05
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 7:38pm
RITC Dr. Evil is a good chopping short pip since it doesn't have any sponge and someties it has reversal
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic