FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Tenergy 05 durability

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
spinnmaster View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinnmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tenergy 05 durability
    Posted: 02/02/2011 at 6:12am
What have happened to tenerrgy 05 durability. My last 2 rubbers have lasted 3 weeksAngry!! Have someone else noticed this?
Sponsored Links

smiths9312 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smiths9312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2011 at 2:12pm
Are you using water based glue?  Did you hit the table with it? 
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinnmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2011 at 2:44pm
Yes i am using water based glue and i have not hit the table with it. I have been playing with Tenergy since it came out and recently i have noticed that the durability is not the same. I have also heard from others complaining about the durability.
razortt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2011 at 2:49pm

I trained 4 times a week, after 3months it still very playable.
Feedback

fastpaddle.com
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2011 at 5:12pm
there is a rumor going on ... that butterfly made commerical tenergy sponge tad softer. could it be that? 

may be the durability of the rubber was affecting their bottomline? so they changed the composition.
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
fructu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fructu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2011 at 6:25pm
spinnmaster + 1/0

Yes, this has exactly happened to me recently though, moreover, I tune Tenergy 05 with paraffine oil.
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2011 at 6:48pm
I have had problems with T05 shrinking.  Recently the T05 was coming off my TBS.   I peeled the T05 off with no problems but when I tried to reglue it is was smaller.   I have two sheets of T05 now that really don't fit on my TBS anymore.   They barely fit on my Samsonov Alpha which has a smaller head than the TBS.
jctlee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jctlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2011 at 7:59pm
the new T64 sponge with thickness engraved with laser is definitely softer compared with the old ones with thickness printed in ink.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinnmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2011 at 12:16am

I have also noticed that T05 is shrinking faster than the old ones. the bounciness off the rubber seems to `die` faster.

snake_eyes View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snake_eyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2011 at 2:32am
Spinmaster, how often do you play and for how long? When I used Tenergy05 when it first came out, I remember using it 6 out of 7 days a week for about 2-3 hours a day, and it initially did not last more than 3-4 months. Also I used only water to clean the rubber surface, what substance(s) are you using to clean the rubber with and are you using anything to keep the rubber surface clean (rubber protector sheets, etc)?

Hi Fructu, don't be offended, but I just wanna ask you a question because I don't know the answer. Why would you or anyone need to tune the Tenergy05, is it for better control or to get the feeling of "speed glue" without the actual "speed glueing?" Could this possibly be why the tenergy05 doesn't last that long for you, I don't think it's meant to be tuned in the first place.
"If there is no perfect moral law-giver, there is no moral law. If there is no moral law, there is no good. If there is no good, there is no evil." -Dr. Ravi Zacharias

Maze ALC Galaxy Moon 2.0 FH/BH
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinnmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2011 at 5:33am
i clean my rubber with water, and i use plastic cover sheet to protect my rubber. I play 2h 3-4 times a week.
smiths9312 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smiths9312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2011 at 10:42pm

Tenergy can be an odd rubber.  I've brushed the side of the table with a newish rubber and lost a whole hunk of it.  I've done far worse to an old sheet with no problems.  If you take it off your blade, it will shrink.  I haven't had it shrink when it was glued to a blade and never removed. 

Over time you are left with a very nice rubber, but the Tenergy magic is gone.  I haven't kept a record, but I'd say 3 weeks of magic, 2 months of greatness, until you are down to the nice rubber stage.  I keep mine for around 6 months as I can't afford to replace it every 3 weeks. I've got a new sheet calling my name from the hall closet for the last few weeks, but so far, I've resisted it's siren song.   
Davey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2011 at 5:24am
That is very strange to me-3 weeks-
people sell Tenergy 05 second hand under the For Sale section
I bought a second hand sheet for the FH and have it 3 months and it is still fine!!!!!!!!!!
if you play at a high standard for more than twenty hours a week it should still be ok.
Look at Persson on youtube he says that until the spped glue days it would take a month
for his rubbers to be where he wanted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you sure they are worn-or do you expect only brand new all the time
David
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2011 at 7:07am
Originally posted by smiths9312 smiths9312 wrote:

Tenergy can be an odd rubber.  I've brushed the side of the table with a newish rubber and lost a whole hunk of it.  I've done far worse to an old sheet with no problems.  If you take it off your blade, it will shrink.  I haven't had it shrink when it was glued to a blade and never removed. 

Over time you are left with a very nice rubber, but the Tenergy magic is gone.  I haven't kept a record, but I'd say 3 weeks of magic, 2 months of greatness, until you are down to the nice rubber stage.  I keep mine for around 6 months as I can't afford to replace it every 3 weeks. I've got a new sheet calling my name from the hall closet for the last few weeks, but so far, I've resisted it's siren song.   

Well said,nice lyrics Heart
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinnmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2011 at 11:55am
Yes i`sure it is worn out. Maybe i got bad rubbers a couple of times. I`m semi professional player and i`m looking/ searching  for another rubber for my FH. But T05 is the best rubber out there. I can get free rubbers from other brands but i have to pay for butterfly stuff, not the whole amount for the rubber. 
harveyt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harveyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2011 at 3:55pm
If you're in the I Hate Butterfly club, see these shirts I found:

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2014 at 10:21am
Along with lowering price, have they made deliberately made the product less durable?

My 87g FL ZJK-ALC along with 2 brand new T05 max sheets, each glued with 2 layers on sponge & 2 on blade (so 8 thin layers in total) weighs 181g. Can T05 this light last long?
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2014 at 10:39am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Along with lowering price, have they made deliberately made the product less durable?

My 87g FL ZJK-ALC along with 2 brand new T05 max sheets, each glued with 2 layers on sponge & 2 on blade (so 8 thin layers in total) weighs 181g. Can T05 this light last long?
wow this is revealing data right there. With tearmender/copydex, 2x2 layers of wbg means 8 to 10 grams; (181 - 87 - 10)/2 = 42g per sheet; that is a new breed of tenergy for sure.
Did they decide after all they did not want to make it that good? Is it planned obsolescence in the making? Shall i join the club again? Those @#%$€£¥!!!!!!
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2014 at 11:02am
I haven't noticed anything to different in last year or so but Smith pretty much states my experience with durability.  I think it is definitely different from what we had in 2009.
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2014 at 1:50pm
I find Tenergy has a long life. I played a tournament yesterday and my opponent (1936 USATT) was using some old looking T64. It was still quite fast with vicious spin. For me it is very good for 7 months and still very good after a year. I see no change in quality since it's introduction.

Keep it clean, avoid some cleaners, use cover film and it will last.

Pros it's a different story, they know small changes faster than most of us. :)
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2014 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

I find Tenergy has a long life. I played a tournament yesterday and my opponent (1936 USATT) was using some old looking T64. It was still quite fast with vicious spin. For me it is very good for 7 months and still very good after a year. I see no change in quality since it's introduction.

Keep it clean, avoid some cleaners, use cover film and it will last.

Pros it's a different story, they know small changes faster than most of us. :)

I used to play with T05 daily for 3-5 hours. T05 performance would slow down a bit after a week, noticeably after two weeks, and after a month, it was barely an average rubber with a LOT of edge/sponge deterioration. Aurus by comparison would stand up to 2-3 months of such abuse before it would drop off only a little.

It wasn't an issue about keeping the topsheet clean, it would have some grip, but that rubber would go downhill in a hurry and break apart like a failed, junked satellite re-entering the atmosphere.

The only ones who could make a sheet of Tenergy last 6 months plus and keep anything close to decent performance were those who showed up to the club, did a 20 min lesson twice a week, played one or two matches, then GTFO the TT club. Anyone who was Div 1 or Div 2 who played daily for hours would be hopping mad at how T05 played after a month and couldn't stand it any more.

I can hit a BH with a 1 yr old rubber like XP 2008 or H3 and it will move out with pace and spin, I have a good BH and the rubber there on that wing can be a bit old, I hit through the ball on BH wing unless I am super slow looping. I could put a one year old T64 on BH myself and make a spinny loop that would make you think it was new, but I know what my loop would be if it was a new rubber, especially on FH wing.

Frogger's tip about protecting the topsheet helps, but what you really have to do with Tenergy is us extra wide edge tape, like 12 mm to make sure you are covering the side of the sponge entirely and adhering to it, along with over cutting the rubber to overlap a mm or two. Covering the sponge gives you another week or so of good performance and slows down the drop-off noticeably, but doesn't stop it.

if you hit hard daily for 3-5 hrs at a time, any rubber will downhill after some time, but T05 does it twice as fast as other modern rubbers I use like Aurus and Evo series.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2014 at 3:51pm
At our club, some players would replace their T05 after two months, then sell it to other players for $15, who would then use it for another six months... Its durability also depends greatly on a player's style.  If you do strong brush looping a lot against underspin, then it won't last more than two months without losing performance for sure.  If you are a blocker/hitter then it should last at least six months no problem...

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2014 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

you know, reputation takes decades to build but its really easy to destroy. I don't think the quality of tenergy is any different, probably better if anything, but if it really is worse, i seriously doubt Butterfly will 'deliberately' do something to destroy its reputation.

Edited by assiduous - 01/20/2014 at 5:09pm
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2014 at 5:14pm
Yes, but: Quite a few have mentioned that MX-P is quite similar to T05. This particular T05 is like T05FX compared to MX-P - MUCH softer.

I moved to T05 from 47.5 degree rubbers due to a wrist injury that required shaving some gms off the setup. However, I don't like the softness at all & the really low weight (as compared to old T05s that I've used that used to be 50g cut) is concerning.

I got my sheets from tt-japan BTW.
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2014 at 5:27pm
There's the possibility of T05 drying out in storage or in a shop somewhere...

@ BH-Man - I'm also a believer of using wide edging tape, in an attempt to slow down the loss of the liquid tuners that is in the popular rubbers today...

Edited by CraneStyle - 01/20/2014 at 5:37pm
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2014 at 6:03pm
I agree with BH-Man about using wide edge-tape.  I use it because it reduces crumbling. I am personally not convinced that Tenergy has a lot of volatile tuner (or any) in the sponge.  It is certainly possible, though.   It is hard to know too much about what has happened to a rubber before it gets to you, especially if you live in US.  You would think that something from tt-japan would normally be newer, but who knows what happens during shipment? 

Also, I agree with Assiduous' last comment.  (No, nobody has hacked my account).  The only thing I wonder about is if they are doing something different since it first came out in an intentional effort to make it lighter, which in their minds is an improvement.
mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2014 at 9:36pm
tenergy for me is durable, used mine for 6 months and still spins fine, of course it is not as spinny or fast as a brand new tenergy anymore, but i guess it depends on your level of game, im only a low level player so my opinion would not matter if you play a high level game, ive seen high level player chnge tenergy every 2-3 weeks, i once bought a used tenergy from a national player in our country which he used for only 3 weeks and for my game it still has plenty of spin and speed. just my opinion tho
Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2017 at 6:27pm
I just recently noticed 2 sheets of Ten 05 dying on me on two dif blades...both FH side.  I can't tell how long I was using it...wasn't really paying attention.  And I did notice on one blade it had been reglued from a diff blade (does this effect rubber life?).  First I thought something was wrong w TT ball...like it was dead.  Kinda annoying that rubber death could come so fast.  I will def pay more attention (useful life) w my new sheet.
incarnation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote incarnation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2017 at 9:15pm
that's why I stop using Tenergy, the quality gets worse and worse 
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2017 at 11:08pm
Last one i got has been going on for 5 months now
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic