FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Renanos Hold review.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Renanos Hold review.
    Posted: 02/13/2011 at 3:13am
This will be brief, but there is little info out there about this rubber and I think very highly of it so I want to "spread the word". This will also be my 2nd-to-last review for a long time. The last review will come in a couple weeks--after I have spent some more time with a new secret bit of awesomeness. Wink

Anyway, for now: Renanos Hold.

It is awesome.

Very spinny, excellent speed, extremely controllable, and a very good feel. I'm currently using it in red, max, on my forehand. I recently switched from XIOM Omega IV Asia. I'm still using O-IV Pro on my backhand because it's working out great for my game. The Asia has very nice feel and good control but was missing some spin for my taste. I got a good deal on some Renanos Hold so I figured I'd try it out since its "shtick" is that it's supposed to be quite spinny. And it is. In fact, I've provided a totally-arbitrary-and-not-drawn-to-any-meaningful-scale graph, um... "thingy" in order to illustrate my opinion of it's spin producing abilities:

The above graph is sure to draw derision, arguments, laughter, etc., from many members... and I must say: I don't care. Tongue LOL

It is just a convenient (and informal) way for me to convey my experience with these rubbers (all of which I've used rather recently, except Anti) regarding their spin. Renanos Hold stands near the best of them, but it's control and feel are better than all of the upper level rubbers listed above, in my opinion.

Renanos Hold is:

Very spinny
Very linear (so predictable and responsive--it does whatever I ask)
Quite fast
Has an excellent feel
Very controllable in the short game (not bouncy)
Not terribly susceptible to opponent's spin
Good for brush loops, power loops, drives, and smashes
Just puts the ball on the table effortlessly Wink

And because I'm sure the question is coming: If anyone is looking for a replacement for Tenergy that is more forgiving (but slightly less spinny and a touch faster, and with a lower but not low throw) then I would suggest Renanos Hold. That's just me. Your mileage may vary, your technique may vary, your demands, perceptions, and patience may vary... etc, etc, blah, blah blah.

For those interested, it happens to be on sale at Paddle Palace right now for $39.95, FYI. But that's not meant to be a plug. Feel free to order from wherever you prefer.

I know there are those who say "equipment doesn't matter" and there are parts of that principle with which I utterly agree. But when someone finds some equipment that perfectly suits his or her game then good things can happen. Since using this rubber, I've been regularly beating some 1700+ players at my club. Prior, that occurred only rarely. More balls on the table, more threatening spin, better short game, etc.

Anyway, take it or leave it. Try it or don't. I just wanted to say something about it because there's not much info on it and I think it's a great product.

Edited by Anton Chigurh - 02/14/2011 at 1:00am
Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
Sponsored Links

ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2011 at 3:27am
Thanks for the review.  Is it lower throw than T64?  Harder or softer?  Lighter or heavier?
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2011 at 3:41am
Originally posted by ohhgourami ohhgourami wrote:

Thanks for the review.  Is it lower throw than T64?  Harder or softer?  Lighter or heavier?

I haven't used T64 in quite some time, but if I'm remembering correctly:

-Similar throw, Renanos Hold perhaps slightly lower.
-I don't know if it's actually harder (as in, durometer measurement) but it feels... different. T64 has those pips that are spaced slightly further apart which gives it a softer feel even though the sponge is the same as T05, for example. So I'm guessing they're close in actual hardness but Renanos feels slightly harder due to the top sheet. If you've tried Hammond Pro Beta, it's similar in feel... but spinnier and a hair slower in performance.
-Weight is probably comparable.

Again, these are my best "guesstimates" based on a fairly distant memory of T64. I played with some T64 a couple weeks ago but it was for about 5 minutes. It was months before that when I actually tried it "for real".

It definitely has better control (less catapult, more linear).

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2011 at 3:48am
It is fine.  Your review makes me interested in this Renanos Hold, although I know it is best to stick to Nanocannon for now.

Just my little digression but I tried T64 pro vs T64 commercial and it feels sooooooo different.  They are the same speed for medium power, but pro has sooo many more gears at the high end.  Gives you so much confidence to just go for it plus it will keep pumping.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
speaquinox View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2011 at 3:53am
For me, it lacked the catapult when counterlooping so I gave up. Other than it's spinny, decent speed, very good grip and Japanese. 
Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2011 at 4:00am
Originally posted by speaquinox speaquinox wrote:

For me, it lacked the catapult when counterlooping so I gave up. Other than it's spinny, decent speed, very good grip and Japanese. 

Thanks for your input. If I remember correctly, you're quite a bit higher level player than I so it makes me feel a little better to know that you found the same--good spin, speed, grip, etc.

I also agree that there is no catapult, but that is something I like. Perhaps someday my skill will lead me to prefer the catapult effect but for now I prefer linear rubbers.

speaquinox View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2011 at 4:18am
My level is not that high. It's just that I'm lazy, I believe it's good if you commit to the stroke. But I'm so used to rubbers that have good catapult. Renanos Hold plays a bit like Chinese compared to Tenergy or other similiar ESN offerings.
Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2011 at 4:28am
Originally posted by speaquinox speaquinox wrote:

...Renanos Hold plays a bit like Chinese compared to Tenergy or other similiar ESN offerings.

It's interesting you say that. I love Chinese rubbers (i.e., hard and tacky) and have used them on my forehand for the last 6-8 months until I just recently started looking elsewhere. Without coaching and formal training I just found hard tacky rubbers too unforgiving. I tried Tenergy 05 the other day and, although it's a rubber with extreme capabilities, I realized I'd have to completely change my stroke to utilize T05 properly. Screw that. Smile Anyway, I found that the stroke I acquired using Chinese rubbers works very well with Renanos Hold, and RH is faster and much more forgiving than the Chinese hard tackies (even if it's slightly less spinny).

I'm rambling.

But yes, I think Renanos Hold has the quality and build of a Japanese rubber but plays a lot like a Chinese rubber. The best of both worlds, in my opinion. Or reasonably close.

Skippy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2011 at 10:06am
The Renanos Hold must play nothing like the Renanos Brights.  The Bright series of Renanos were crazy bouncy.  I absolutely hated how bouncy they were.  I read the descriptions of Renanos Hold and they do sound nice, but the Renanos Bright Soft was the one that had absolutely no short game. 
Xiom Zetro Quad
FH: Andro Hexer Max
BH: Xiom Euro Vega Max
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2011 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Skippy Skippy wrote:

The Renanos Hold must play nothing like the Renanos Brights.  The Bright series of Renanos were crazy bouncy.  I absolutely hated how bouncy they were.  I read the descriptions of Renanos Hold and they do sound nice, but the Renanos Bright Soft was the one that had absolutely no short game. 

Sorry, I have no experience with the other Renanos rubbers. What I do know is that Hold is not at all bouncy for me in the short game.

For a comparison: The XIOM Vega series are known for their good control in the short game due to a lack of bounciness. The XIOM Omega IV series is an improvement even beyond the Vega series (in all respects, including the short game ease). That being said, Renanos Hold is easier to control in the short game than even my Omega IV Pro that I have on my backhand. So, in short, Hold is better in the short game than a rubber which is already known to be very good in the short game. Smile

Like speaquinox said, Hold plays a bit like a Chinese rubber. Not that it's hard, tacky, and unforgiving, but simply that it is completely linear. You hit soft, you get a soft shot. You swing hard, you get a powerful shot. You won't get any catapult to help you so you do have to make your own power, but you also don't have to worry about this rubber acting funny in either the short or long game. You also don't have to worry about it bottoming out, as the sponge is pretty hard as Japanese rubbers go.

strongpong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote strongpong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2011 at 6:20pm
Thanks for the review Anton, lots of direct info.

I have only recently started using Nittaku rubbers (Refoma being the only one so far) and am really liking the same attributes you are with the Renanos Hold. Linearity in strokes is the best I have encountered yet. The sponge feel is hard to describe - kind of like a moist sucking in of the ball, smooth. It compresses and lets the ball in for good dwell time, but then the catapault back out is very responsive to the user. The speed is there - if you choose to use it.

This is very refreshing after so many pre-tuned spring sponged rubbers dictating the shot being produced. With these rubbers I feel like I am using a product to produce shots it is capable of (I have to conciously think of what I can and can't do with it) - with the Nittaku rubber I feel like I am simply playing shots as they form in my mind.

Nice Big smile

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2011 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by strongpong strongpong wrote:

...This is very refreshing after so many pre-tuned spring sponged rubbers dictating the shot being produced. With these rubbers I feel like I am using a product to produce shots it is capable of (I have to conciously think of what I can and can't do with it) - with the Nittaku rubber I feel like I am simply playing shots as they form in my mind.

Nice Big smile

Precisely!!! Extremely well said. Clap Thumbs Up

I still have a "pre-tuned spring sponged rubber that dictates my shots" on my backhand and, for now, it's working. But that's only because my backhand isn't as developed as it should be. If it were, I'd be eying that Nittaku Hammond Pro Beta for my BH. Perhaps once this O-IV Pro wears out in the next few months or so...

Anyway, for my forehand, which is much more refined, I prefer a rubber that doesn't "help" me. At least on my forehand side, I say, "I'm the artist, not the equipment. Just give me the brush and let me paint." Big smile

And yes, that metaphor makes me a huge dork. Embarrassed

Edited by Anton Chigurh - 02/13/2011 at 8:24pm
ppwwqq View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppwwqq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2011 at 8:24pm
Do you think max and 1.9 make a big difference?
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2011 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by ppwwqq ppwwqq wrote:

Do you think max and 1.9 make a big difference?

Not a huge difference, IMO. It depends on how hard you hit, I think, and what you're using it for.

On the backhand, especially with harder rubbers, I prefer 1.9 because I block more and don't swing "balls out" as much. I'm not in fear of bottoming out the sponge and I only have to worry about spin on opening loops since I rarely counter loop with my backhand. I also don't have as good control on my backhand.

On my forehand I swing as hard as I can whenever I can, and I loop kill and drive a lot so I want max spin with no bottoming out. Therefore on my forehand I prefer 2.1.

For someone who doesn't hit as hard then I'm sure 1.9 is sufficient and might even be a little better control-wise. Or for someone who blocks a lot then 1.9 is probably better too... However, I wouldn't think this rubber would be an ideal blocking rubber given its predilection for spin generation.

simon_xuan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_xuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2011 at 11:14pm
I played this rubber with my club member's TSP. He used it for his BH, but I would love to use it for the FH to replace my Chinese rubber H3, TG2, etc. After giving up on the search of prov or national versions of these Chinese rubbers, I started to play with ESN and Jap rubbers for my Chinese style FH, e.g. bigger stretched arm looping. Renanos Hold is one of these can replace glued H3. I have been reading about this one in Chinese web sites as well. This is my next EJ rubber for my FH. Thanks for sharing.
RPB Rocks!

BTY Innerforce ZLC Cpen | DHS H3N Blue Sponge | Victas V>15 Extra

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36695
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2011 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by simon_xuan simon_xuan wrote:

I played this rubber with my club member's TSP. He used it for his BH, but I would love to use it for the FH to replace my Chinese rubber H3, TG2, etc. After giving up on the search of prov or national versions of these Chinese rubbers, I started to play with ESN and Jap rubbers for my Chinese style FH, e.g. bigger stretched arm looping. Renanos Hold is one of these can replace glued H3. I have been reading about this one in Chinese web sites as well. This is my next EJ rubber for my FH. Thanks for sharing.

I'd love to hear what they're saying about it on the Chinese sites, if you're willing to paraphrase...? If not, no worries. Smile

BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 12:48am
I would like to second Anton's review of Renanos Hold. I have been championing this at my club for sometime and I am 100% set that this is my backhand rubber. This rubber is VERY linear compared to something like Tenergy or ESN Tensor-insert-name-here and while it can create a very powerful spinney loop when you swing hard, it has superb control in the short game and is not bouncy like Tenergy (if you drop a ball on a paddle with Tenergy and one with Renanos Hold, you will see the difference).

I think what really makes the classic rubbers (Mark V, Sriver, H3, etc) so classic is their linearity. You can go anywhere from the slowest shortest dropshots to the massively spinney forehand loopdrives and everywhere inbetween. I think Renanos Hold captures that linearity and that classic predictability better than most of the new rubbers on the market.
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 2:15am
Anton could you please compare Renanos Hold speed with Omega IV Asia and Pro?
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 2:44am
Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

Anton could you please compare Renanos Hold speed with Omega IV Asia and Pro?

Oops... you said "speed". I didn't see that at first and wrote a long comparison of both. Embarrassed

In terms of speed alone, I'd say that Renanos Hold is potentially faster but you have to work a little harder for it. Not like with the harder tacky rubbers, by any means... it's certainly easier to produce speed than Neo H3, for example. But there is also no Tenergy catapult there to "help" you. In the middle gears the Omegas feel faster because they don't require as much effort due to the catapult. But when I'm allowed to let a winner rip at full force, the Renanos Hold is faster.

Edited by Anton Chigurh - 02/16/2011 at 3:36am
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 4:14am
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

Oops... you said "speed". I didn't see that at first and wrote a long comparison of both. Embarrassed

In terms of speed alone, I'd say that Renanos Hold is potentially faster but you have to work a little harder for it. Not like with the harder tacky rubbers, by any means... it's certainly easier to produce speed than Neo H3, for example. But there is also no Tenergy catapult there to "help" you. In the middle gears the Omegas feel faster because they don't require as much effort due to the catapult. But when I'm allowed to let a winner rip at full force, the Renanos Hold is faster.

Anton, Have you tried H3 National tuned with Parafin Oil?
It's totally different from Provincial, more speed, more spin too.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 4:31am

Not sure he has but I have with a much more powerful tuner than paraffin oil Big smile
Definitely much much more spin and speed Big smile

Big smile
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 5:21am

Anton, Have you tried H3 National tuned with Parafin Oil?It's totally different from Provincial, more speed, more spin too.
Not sure he has but I have with a much more powerful tuner than paraffin oil Big smileDefinitely much much more spin and speed Big smileBig smile

Is it your own formula or it's available at the market?

Edited by peter79 - 02/16/2011 at 5:23am
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 9:35am

Edited by BeaverMD - 12/28/2022 at 9:12am
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 9:50am
Anybody try it on the BH? Wink
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 10:51am

It's also illegal. Have you tried Sriver with 12 layers of speedglue? Way different than Sriver with regular glue Ermm
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 10:55am
Originally posted by dragon kid dragon kid wrote:

I finally wore out the sheet I've had on my backhand. Just ordered another Smile
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 1:21pm

I took it off the forehand of my shakehand blade and put it on the backhand of my SuperCpen blade (which has Thor's on the forehand). I will try it out tomorrow and let you know what I think. I imagine it will function quite well there. Smile

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 1:26pm

I haven't tried it. I don't want to deal with the hassle of locating a "national" sheet, pay the (usually) ridiculous price, all the while wondering if it's legitimate.

Then, I don't want to have to boost, worry about the proper amount, replicating it precisely each time I have to do it so I don't feel like I'm playing with a different rubber, and ultimately have my rubbers wear out faster.

I had Renanos Hold on my forehand on my shakehand blade, but I'm going to try it out on my backhand on my SuperCpen blade. As far as hard tacky rubbers go, I've found Thor's to be my favorite. In fact, I'm playing with Thor's on my SuperCpen blade right now (on my forehand) and it does everything I ask of it... all without having to boost it. I've cheated on Thor's here and there but I keep coming back to it, which says something to me.

Edited by Anton Chigurh - 02/16/2011 at 3:48pm
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

I finally wore out the sheet I've had on my backhand. Just ordered another Smile
So how does it play there? have you tried with Andro Hexer by any chance? how do the two compare? Smile

I took it off the forehand of my shakehand blade and put it on the backhand of my SuperCpen blade (which has Thor's on the forehand). I will try it out tomorrow and let you know what I think. I imagine it will function quite well there. Smile
Hoping for some good news Big smile
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 2:34pm

Not sure he has but I have with a much more powerful tuner than paraffin oil Big smile
Definitely much much more spin and speed Big smile

Big smile

If your tuner is more powerful than Paraffin Oil, I'd hate to use a racket like yours haha. PO adds soooooo much speed. I go LIGHT on it, and keep glue buildup ON. I know people who do 3 layers on a bare sponge.

I don't know how people can handle it. Dead

Anton, have you ever used Hammond X?

Best looper at my club always used it on his FH, switched to Beta, hated it, now goes back to Hammond X. Can you compare it to that speed/spin wise? (if you have used it)

I'm also 100% for Linear rubbers. Catapult is unnecccessary at our level. Even when Counter-looping. I feel like that's why I actually end up counter-looping in matches and not just in practice, because I pick equipment I can actually handle and I'm confident about doing shots. On my RPB, I'm using 729-3OEM, a 7 dollar rubber. I stuffed that loopers shots over and over again with my RPB. I Counter Looped his openings with my RPB. I don't even play penhold, it was the first time doing it in a long time. But I had control and predictability- 7 dollar rubber. Works for me Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic