Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sportcraft Marquis Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sportcraft Marquis Review
    Posted: 02/16/2011 at 3:20pm
I started this thread before, but I can't find it now.  As many of you remember, I ordered a Sportcraft Marquis from Wally a couple of weeks ago.  I ordered it online.  The cost was 399, and it came to $430ish with tax.  I had an option of picking it up at the store for no shipping or having it delivered for $.01.  I opted to have it delivered to the rec center.

Delivery wasn't fast.  It came from Canada.  Took every bit of 2 weeks.  Shipping was from a company called CENA.  Tracking was there, but maybe hard to understand.  I tried to contact the company but they have no phone.  I sent in an online request but it was ignored.  Still, the table did arrive on the last date of the promised range and it was well packed and not damaged.

There's a decent amt of assembly.  Took close to an hour.  The top is truly 1" thick, and the surface felt the same as any other quality table.  I am not a fan of the word "sportcraft" being painted on both ends of the top surface of the table.  In fact, it's downright annoying really.

The base is very thick and well made.  Much much nicer than the stiga spark the rec center has.  It seems very sturdy  to push the long way, but I'm a little concerned that it has some sway if  you push it the short way, like side to side from the middle.  It doesn't feel quite as sturdy as it looks somehow.

The design of the foldout is nice, but man, it's way high in the air which seesm like it would be easier to tip.  The casters are nice and they lock.  There is kind of a deadman locknig switch which makes you have two people to open it, but you can use your foot if you want.  Standard stuff.

Now for the play.  I was a little disappointed honestly.  It struck me as slightly bouncy.  It didn't have the low, deadish feel of the other 1" tables I'd played with.  It's certainly better than the .6 spark (that costs more I think), but just didnt' feel like the 1" butterfly etc as I had hoped.

To sum up, it's a great table for $399, but it's not a clone of a $1000 butterfly.  I dont' regret the purchase, but it's not the absolute steal I had hoped for.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Sponsored Links

addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 3:29pm
does it conform to ITTF spec, I.e., the ball should bounce to about 23cm when dropped from a height of 30cm?
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 4:02pm
can't say I got that specific with it.  I might give it a try during club night tomorrow though

Edited by cole_ely - 02/16/2011 at 4:03pm

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2011 at 10:44am
Well, I forgot to bring a ruler, but after a full night of play I think the play of the table may be a little better than I had previously thought.  I still dont' think it plays like other 1" tables, but I think it's better than our 3/5" stiga spark for sure.

Mudkipz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mudkipz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 11:19pm
Cole could you try the ittf ball bounce test as requested above? I'm having a hard time finding a table that is less than $550 that plays reasonably well.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2012 at 12:25am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I am not a fan of the word "sportcraft" being painted on both ends of the top surface of the table.  In fact, it's downright annoying really.

Do you mean it's actually painted on the playing surface???
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2012 at 5:02pm
looks like it's only $259 now:  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sportcraft-Tennis-Table/4183999

it does not say free delivery tho... as a matter of fact I can't even find the 'add to cart' button.

Edited by tuco - 04/25/2012 at 5:05pm
The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2012 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I am not a fan of the word "sportcraft" being painted on both ends of the top surface of the table.  In fact, it's downright annoying really.

Do you mean it's actually painted on the playing surface???
wow i missed that; is it?

the video shows regular looking table without any words on the playing surface... but then again, your mileage may vary Wink

However this one

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Table-Tennis/17127584?findingMethod=rr

indeed has words on the surface, and let me tell you, even if it is a greatest playing table, I would NEVER buy it. This is super-annoying - to have large lettering right on the playing surface...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2012 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

"out of stock online"
what a crazy good deal!

Anyone can have a great price on a product that they don't have in stock thoughLOLLOLLOL
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 1:57am
This one they have in stock, and it seems very good
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

This one they have in stock, and it seems very good

However, it doesn't say anywhere what is the thickness of the playing surface. It could be 1/2" for all we know...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 9:26am
I've looked up the stats of this table elsewhere (like Amazon). 
http://www.amazon.com/AMF-Fury-Table-Tennis/dp/B0042TOXPS

It's 1 inch.The table is also known as the AMF Fury or the Sportcraft Fury.  Look at the description on Walmart's page.

It would be nice to know if it's any good.  That's a good price.
RankAmateur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RankAmateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 10:27am
The AMF Platinum seems to be a differently-painted Sportcraft Marquis for $208.33 (assemby instructions said "Sportcraft", the table appears identical, but for color and logo, to the Marquis).  Ridiculous price.  We got one for our church recently.  It's listed as being a 5/6" surface, but the one we received was 1", I measured.  It feels and plays pretty good, not the same as my DHS, which is a 1" true wood surface, but still pretty good.  Played last week on it and really I wasn't noticing any significant difference between my higher end DHS table and the cheap laminate surface AMF.  Any differences were quickly forgotten once play began.  A total steal for the price.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/AMF-Platinum-Table-Tennis-Table/20434774

Yes, and that Fury looks possibly like an even better deal.  Still the laminate surface I think, but what construction!

Edited by RankAmateur - 04/26/2012 at 10:28am
Toprank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toprank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 11:41am
I think that table is better than the Marquis. Someone bought this and posted pics on the tables for home review thread. Here's the link-

I have a Joola Infinity which is $500 for 1 inch table top.
CURRENT BLADE- Ross Leidy White Lightning

FH- Haifu Blue Whale II

BH- Xiom Vega Europe

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RankAmateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Toprank Toprank wrote:

I think that table is better than the Marquis. Someone bought this and posted pics on the tables for home review thread. Here's the link-

Which one on that page are you talking about?  The Fury?
Toprank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toprank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by RankAmateur RankAmateur wrote:

Yes the Fury. Fury and the AMF 5000 appear to be the same table.

Edited by Toprank - 04/26/2012 at 12:29pm
CURRENT BLADE- Ross Leidy White Lightning

FH- Haifu Blue Whale II

BH- Xiom Vega Europe

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RankAmateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 1:02pm

Originally posted by RankAmateur RankAmateur wrote:

Yes the Fury. Fury and the AMF 5000 appear to be the same table.

Looks like an astonishing deal.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic