Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro-Asia Cup, Asian leg

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Euro-Asia Cup, Asian leg
    Posted: 02/27/2011 at 2:35pm
well, the show moves on to Beijing for the Euro-Asia Allstars.

here are the teams:

European Team

(Beijing)

1 BOLL Timo (GER)
2 SAMSONOV Vladimir (BLR)
3 SCHLAGER Werner (AUT)
4 APOLONIA Tiago (POR)
5 CRISAN Adrian (ROU)

here's the official website:  http://www.euroasia-ettu.com/index2.php?s=1

and here's an excerpt from an article there detailing the matchups:

"At the opening duel on the first day will play JOO Se Hyuk vs. Tiago APOLONIA and the list of duels goes on with CHUANG Chih-Yuan vs. Werner SCHLAGER, ZHANG Jike vs. Vladimir SAMSONOV, Jun MIZUTANI vs. Timo BOLL and TANG Peng vs. Adrian CRISAN.

On the second day JOO Se Hyuk will meet Adrian CRISAN, TANG Peng will play against Werner SCHLAGER, Jun MIZUTANI against Vladimir SAMSONOV, ZHANG Jike will meet Timo BOLL and CHUANG Chih-Yuan will play against Tiago APOLONIA.

China's national TV CTTV will cover both days of the Event. European leg is scheduled for October 29th and 30th 2011. It will be played in Belarus' city of Minsk."

as the article says, CCTV5 will cover the both days, starting at 7:30 pm, local time, this tuesday and wednesday.  that's 6:30 am ET here in (north) america and 12:30 pm CET in europe.

uh, i'm not sure how to access CCTV5 at this time.  TVU NETWORKS used to have it, but seems to have dropped it in the last year, though they still show their tv schedule.  if anybody has any ideas, pls. let us know. 

that said, the tourney website above has a MULTIMEDIA page where they will post all the matches.  the question is when will they actually get around to doing that?

oh, one more thing...  maze was s'posed to play, but he's still hurt (recovering from knee surgery), so adrian crisan will replace him.

oh, and this is not an ittf-ranking event.
Sponsored Links

Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2011 at 4:05pm
Sounds like some good matchups, I sure hope Joo will win his, it's getting harder and harder to be a defender these days with so many losing to just average loopers.
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2011 at 7:51pm
y'know, i'm beginning to think that the "chopping game" has become obsolete.

why?  cuz it's a "one-shot" game.  and if your opponent can get back your one shot then what else are you gonna do??

i used to think that so-called choppers needed to flip the racket and loop with the BH sometimes, but. now, i realize that's just too difficult to do, and so, it's just not practical.

lately, i've been thinking that joo and other choppers should experiment with a modified seemiller-style BH loop, like in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=TACSHOW123#p/u/88/fkxuf9SNX6I -- scroll to the 11-second, 29-second and 45-second marks.

and here also (same guy): http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=TACSHOW123#p/u/58/sB5ujZuF2wI -- scroll to the 33-second mark.

the top players nowadays are much better than they used to be, so now you just can't be too predictable unless you know for sure that you can make the other guy miss.  so, i think that so-called choppers need to have a rethink.  they need to play an allround game like everyone else, except that they chop a higher percentage of the balls back than the other players.

if joo and his female chopper teammates had this modified seemiller bh loop, then when their opponents go to the bh, they won't know if they're gonna get a loop or a chop back.  and, though, i'm not a chopper, it looks to me like you can set up as though you're gonna chop and still pull off this loop, so when your opponents are looking at your stance for the next shot, they won't be able to tell you're about to loop or chop.

anyhow, right now, at the top level, it's "over-predictability" (to coin a phrase) that will lose the game for you.

the game has changed.  the chinese are changing, but it appears that top players from the rest of the world are not.  if they want to win, they're gonna have to evolve with the game, period.

edit:  y'know, it would be nice if he (and his female teammates) waited till the world championships in may to pull that shot out of the bag...

Edited by takaaki - 02/27/2011 at 7:54pm
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2011 at 8:18pm
I don't know why players with pips on the backhand don't use a reverse shakehand backhand. There's a player at my club who does that for 90% of his backhands because he has anti on the other side and he loops great with it. Moving your fingers a little cant be harder than twiddling. I know Ruwen Filus twiddles to unleash a backhand inverted loop sometimes, but I've seen him get caught between twiddles when it comes back. But so many pros twiddle so easily...mainly for close chops, but still, that's a debate for a whole other topic. They probably don't do it due it and long pips hitting due to the lowered level of consistency and reliability.
TheRobot99 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2011 at 8:19pm
That's an interesting shot. It would be nice if one could be proficient enough to really jerk people off their rhythm.
Ross Leidy Custom, DHS Hurricane III Neos, Nittaku Nodias

Xiom Fuga, Globe 999 National 39, Nittaku Nodias

JOOLA Torre All+, DHS Hurricane II #19 Sponge, Galaxy Moon 38

PTTC VP - 2011-12
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2011 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by Jonan Jonan wrote:

I don't know why players with pips on the backhand don't use a reverse shakehand backhand. There's a player at my club who does that for 90% of his backhands because he has anti on the other side and he loops great with it. Moving your fingers a little cant be harder than twiddling. I know Ruwen Filus twiddles to unleash a backhand inverted loop sometimes, but I've seen him get caught between twiddles when it comes back. But so many pros twiddle so easily...mainly for close chops, but still, that's a debate for a whole other topic. They probably don't do it due it and long pips hitting due to the lowered level of consistency and reliability.

"reverse shakehand backhand" or RSB.  yeah, that sounds a whole lot better... 

ruwen filus...  yeah, i've noticed the same thing....

the only pro chopper i've seen try the RSB is hou yingchao.  a month or so ago some russian guy posted some highlight vids from the russian league championships and i noticed that hou, who plays there now, tried it once in one of the vids.  he missed...

anyhow, i still say that this is what choppers at the top level need to do.  consistency and reliability are not real issues for people who are able to train 6 hours a day, 5-6 days a week.  it's just a matter of learning the proper timing and footwork.

Edited by takaaki - 02/27/2011 at 8:36pm
TTNoobie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTNoobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2011 at 4:09pm
they even took cctv5 off sopcast it seems.  I bet it's the NBA's doingAngry
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2011 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by TTNoobie TTNoobie wrote:

they even took cctv5 off sopcast it seems.  I bet it's the NBA's doingAngry

yep, you're probably right about that.  they're going around the whole damn world and cracking down on those P2P sites.

i think i found at least one place where we can access CCTV5, but i won't put it up until late tonight, cuz, well, ya never know, they are probably monitoring this forum, too.
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2011 at 6:39pm
i've been doing a little searching around and apparently it will be streamed live on bwin.com, but the times are different.  they're saying 7:30 am GMT or 2:30 am ET.  unfortunately, those of us here in the US are blocked from using bwin.com, but those of you outside the US are not.

hopefully, STEF will come thru for us again.

also, i just checked the CCTV5 schedule and, apparently, on the 2nd day (wednesday), they will not show it live, cuz there's a chinese basketball game on at that time.  so, they will show it on tape-delay at 10:20 pm (local time) or so they say.

but, the b-ball game is scheduled to end at 9:30 pm (local time), so, those of you who have access to cctv5 might want to turn it on then just to make sure they don't sneak it in, cuz i've noticed that, in china, they don't always stick to the announced schedule.
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2011 at 12:34am
ok, here are 2 links to CCTV5.  i dunno if the 2nd link will work outside of china.

http://www.tv14.net/cctv5/
http://bugu.cntv.cn/live_cctv5/index.shtml

and here's a tv station list of china:  http://delicast.com/tv/China and the 1st link on the list is CCTV5.

ok, so it starts at 6:30 ET this morning.  enjoy!!

Edited by takaaki - 03/01/2011 at 12:37am
johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2011 at 6:46am
It started some minutes ago with Joo Se Hyuk vs Apolonia Tiago!
Blade: OSP Virtuoso-L RST 87gr
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9
ttc537dp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttc537dp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2011 at 6:59am
Originally posted by johnny89atc johnny89atc wrote:

It started some minutes ago with Joo Se Hyuk vs Apolonia Tiago!

Joo win 3-0 !
Sanwei T1091A, H3n+Target
729 L3, PeakPower + Sun
janus700 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janus700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2011 at 9:10am
ASIA - EUROPE (1st day) : 3-2

• JOO Se Hyuk (KOR) - Tiago APOLONIA (POR) 3:0 (11-8, 11-8, 11-7)
  • CHUANG Chih-Yuan (TPE) - Werner SCHLAGER (AUT) 3:0 (11:7, 13:11, 12:10)
  • ZHANG Jike (CHN) - Vladimir SAMSONOV (BLR) 3:0 (11:9, 12:10, 11:8)
  • Jun MIZUTANI (JPN) - Timo BOLL (GER) 1:3 (11:6, 9:11, 5:11, 8:11)
  • TANG Peng (HKG) - Adrian CRISAN (ROM) 2:3 (11:8, 7:11, 11:6, 8:11, 8:11) 

Edited by janus700 - 03/02/2011 at 9:36am
http://www.youtube.com/Janus770 & https://www.facebook.com/TTJanus
TTNoobie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTNoobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2011 at 11:14am
Here's the VOD

http://bugu.cntv.cn/sports/information/cctv5tiyusaishi/videopage/index.shtml
ttCrawsaive View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttCrawsaive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2011 at 12:57pm
Highlights:
Timo Boll-Jun Mizutani
http://www.youtube.com/user/ttCrawsaive
TomasTA3 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomasTA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2011 at 1:36pm
What download video from bugu.cntv.cn ? or someone upload full match,please

thanks
bull_harrier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2011 at 1:37pm
Is it just me or do team Asia's jerseys look like sweater vests?
Clipper CR WRB
FH: Boost TP
BH: Boost TP

My Biology/Physiology Learning Channel on Youtube
Ciprian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ciprian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2011 at 2:17pm
Crisan -Tang Peng 3-2
Xi Enting
FH-Aurus Sound
BH- Pryde 30
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2011 at 3:52pm
wow, what a surprise!!  i was expecting tang to win that one easily!
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2011 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by takaaki takaaki wrote:

wow, what a surprise!!  i was expecting tang to win that one easily!

Crisan is weird...he randomly beats some good people then most of the time loses to the mediocre ones, like in the euro top 12, he beat Samsonov but lost to Schlager and Gardos in his group.
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2011 at 3:58pm
as for the schedule tomorrow, i'm still not straight on what CCTV5 will do.

now, i don't speak or read chinese, but in the middle of the 3rd game of the schlager - chuang match, they put up an announcement on the screen that they would show the matches tomorrow live at 7:30 pm (6:30 am ET), but the CCTV5 schedule says they're show it on tape-delay at 10:19 pm (9:19 am ET).

so, i guess we'll find out tomorrow morning...
l00p View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote l00p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2011 at 5:52pm
Highlights of the first day on YOUTUBE: (Thx to ttprovider)

Zhang Jike-Vladimir Samsonov
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pZkNCwN2KQ

Jun Mizutani-Timo Boll
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rRNTrziYJw

Joo Se Hyuk-Tiago Apolonia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWItr_LT4Aw

Chuang Chih Yuan-Werner Schlager
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viw-ibuIxZ0

Tang Peng-Adrian Crisan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc7R4UEMNWk

janus700 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janus700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2011 at 9:12pm
http://www.youtube.com/Janus770 & https://www.facebook.com/TTJanus
Guy Fleegman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Fleegman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2011 at 9:25pm

y'know, i'm beginning to think that the "chopping game" has become obsolete.

why?  cuz it's a "one-shot" game.  and if your opponent can get back your one shot then what else are you gonna do??

You clearly have no understanding for what it means to be a defender, and a modern defender at that. It's not about getting it on. It's about deception (spin variation) and setting up your attacks with your defence. Something that Joo Se Hyuk does exceptionally.

i used to think that so-called choppers needed to flip the racket and loop with the BH sometimes, but. now, i realize that's just too difficult to do, and so, it's just not practical.

But what would that achieve? From that distance you wouldn't get the control and consistency that you could from a forehand. Besides, a backhand chop is just as dangerous as an attack. There are times when you can't see the spin imparted and are literally forced to guess (chopping below the table height).

lately, i've been thinking that joo and other choppers should experiment with a modified seemiller-style BH loop, like in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=TACSHOW123#p/u/88/fkxuf9SNX6I -- scroll to the 11-second, 29-second and 45-second marks.

and here also (same guy): http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=TACSHOW123#p/u/58/sB5ujZuF2wI -- scroll to the 33-second mark.

Why? Joo can attack from his backhand if he wants. It's just better to chop. Greater consistency and deception out do a spinny backhand anyday. Look at his match against Zhang Jike in the Chinese Superleague(where he won, might I add).

the top players nowadays are much better than they used to be, so now you just can't be too predictable unless you know for sure that you can make the other guy miss.  so, i think that so-called choppers need to have a rethink.  they need to play an allround game like everyone else, except that they chop a higher percentage of the balls back than the other players.

Why are they "so-called choppers"?

It's not about predictability. All the top players, including the Chinese, that it's not a matter of predictability as much as it is the ability to perform and execute strategies; be consistent; fast enough etc.

I don't even understand how you can say they need to be more allround. Chopping is their style. In fact, for about six months when Joo was almost a classic defender he beat pretty well every euro player he encountered and had good success in the Chinese superleague. Then recently he's gone to attacking more and has taken players like Ma Long to 4-2 with game points in three of the games - all at thirty years of age.

if joo and his female chopper teammates had this modified seemiller bh loop, then when their opponents go to the bh, they won't know if they're gonna get a loop or a chop back.  and, though, i'm not a chopper, it looks to me like you can set up as though you're gonna chop and still pull off this loop, so when your opponents are looking at your stance for the next shot, they won't be able to tell you're about to loop or chop.

anyhow, right now, at the top level, it's "over-predictability" (to coin a phrase) that will lose the game for you.

First of all, you can disguise a hit with pips as a chop. Joo does it all the time. As a top player it is still quite obvious which ones they'll chop or not. If they loop one that isn't obvious then it'll be weaker and less effective. It's a catch 22. Again, they set up the attack with the backhand. Or outrightly win points through spin variation. Attacking is superfluos and only necessary to ensure they don't feed you junk loops. It's like insurance.

EDIT: What I mean is that as long as they 'can' attack with their pips and forehand they ensure the other player needs to constantly attack.

Predictability, like I said, has nothing to do with this.

the game has changed.  the chinese are changing, but it appears that top players from the rest of the world are not.  if they want to win, they're gonna have to evolve with the game, period.

edit:  y'know, it would be nice if he (and his female teammates) waited till the world championships in may to pull that shot out of the bag...

How are is the rest of the world not? Samsonov has never lost to Joo and Boll has lost just twice. Your statement would be more true had it said "People out of the top 10" and not "rest of the world".

Re your edit: They're constantly changing their style. Given your post I think you're probably unable to tell this. Over the years their tactics and shots have changed significantly. They need to change to keep up with everyone else. But that's not exclusive to jsut them. All players need to.

Edited by Guy Fleegman - 03/01/2011 at 9:27pm
murrayblhrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murrayblhrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2011 at 9:54pm
Am I the only one here who thinks the shirts for team Asia are pretty ridiculous.

Is is supposed to look like they're wearing a flannel vest? haha
lild100 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lild100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2011 at 10:25pm

Euro vs Asia 2011 - Timo Boll vs Jun Mizutani

Euro vs Asia 2011 - Zhang Jike vs Vladimir Samsonov

Euro vs Asia 2011 - Joo See Hyuk vs Thiago Apolonia

Euro vs Asia 2011 - Werner Schalger vs Chuan Chih Yuan

dmras View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2011 at 12:04am
Full matches please, anybody!
Mdman View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2011 at 12:09am
I am glad Schlager is playing, thanks a lot for the videos.
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2011 at 5:02am
2 continents 1 cup.
ttc537dp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttc537dp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2011 at 6:36am
2nd part is broadcasting LIVE in cctv5 NOW!
Sanwei T1091A, H3n+Target
729 L3, PeakPower + Sun
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic