FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

How to make a backhand flick (chiquita)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to make a backhand flick (chiquita)
    Posted: 03/06/2011 at 4:52pm
Hi guys!

Since I still have a day-off today I decided to contribute one more video by myself. Some people suggested me to make more videos and I think this technique is pretty useful and I can demonstrate it well so hopefully we can all make use of it Smile

Note! To successfully use this stroke, you need a loose wrist that can create both power + spin. You cannot back down as soon as you move towards the ball, no fear, just think about hitting the ball on the other side. Keep it low and choose the placement well Thumbs Up
Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
Video: - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u-p2VHaiDk
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7bHoFRj_oU
-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYnqlW
Sponsored Links

racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2011 at 3:48am
You always have some of the best demo videos on this forum.

There should be a stickied thread with a collection of your videos.Thumbs Up

One question though. In the video, it looks like you can just about flip anything, but in a real match, we all know that is not the case. How do you identify an un-flippable ball with regard to the incoming spin, speed, height, and location on table? The premise of this question is, of course, that the incoming ball lands too short to be looped but not so short that it is out of reach of a flip.
TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2011 at 10:10am
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

You always have some of the best demo videos on this forum.

There should be a stickied thread with a collection of your videos.Thumbs Up

One question though. In the video, it looks like you can just about flip anything, but in a real match, we all know that is not the case. How do you identify an un-flippable ball with regard to the incoming spin, speed, height, and location on table? The premise of this question is, of course, that the incoming ball lands too short to be looped but not so short that it is out of reach of a flip.

Thanks mate Thumbs Up I appreciate your support, I've learned a lot from MYTT and hopefully I can give something back to the people LOL

Anyway, let's answer your question. Is there an un-flickable ball? This pretty much comes down to 2 things: (1) your judgment of the spin, height, placement and speed (2) what sort of mentality you're having at the moment. Let's deal with them separately.

(1) - Okay, of course to flick a ball that has tremendous spin (especially backspin) is much more difficult than a ball that has mediocre spin on it. However, it is not impossible, not at all even in real match situations believe me. Doesn't matter if it's topspin, sidespin, backspin or a combination of spin, what you need to do is to judge them correctly and react according to it. Nevertheless, to flick the ball to the other side and to "kill" it is another matter, just keep in mind that. So the conclusion is that spin has a strong influence but does not decide that a ball is flickable or "un-flickable". But again, this also depends on your level of technique, I'm assuming that you're have at least an intermediate level of technique or advance just for the sake of the argument.

- Height plays some role but smaller compares to spin (IMO) and especially on itself. A ball that is low but has very little spin is MUCH easier to flick than a medium high ball with extreme backspin on it. However, if the ball is already spinny and even worse, it is LOW then it makes your life really hard...If it's pure backspin and low, you have to be really careful, i think this is only the case when flicking is quite risky and can be considered near "un-flickable".

- What about placement? I think placement at least to me, plays a minor role, a short ball doesn't matter where can be flicked if your wrist is that flexible and if you have a good footwork that is able to transport you to the exact spot that would help you execute the shot well. However, there if you misjudge the length, step in to flick a ball that is long and with heavy backspin, you are doomed, that would be a "un-flickable" ball Big smile I have made such mistakes and 90% if I already stepped in to flick it (I supposed it to be a short ball and it turned out to be quite long, doesn't even have to touch the white line) I would most of the time flick to the net (maybe I'm just not good enough!).
=> That having been said, there are rare cases that there are "un-flickable" balls, mostly depends on the situation and your level. But ignoring the psychological side, assuming that you're on a good day and you have a well-refined repertoire of techniques then it would be no problem to execute 99% of the flicks.

(2) This is where it gets tricky. I remember that I put emphasis on the "decisiveness" when striking the ball in the video. What I meant is that, you have to have the right sort of mentality when you execute such strokes. You need to believe in yourself 100% that you can do this and your flick will succeed because it is such a short stroke that requires tremendous amount of concentration, just a little hesitation in the middle of the stroke might result in the ball hitting the net or go long, either case is not preferred anyway. If you hesitate and don't have enough confidence, this is a hard stroke to perform in matches. There are days in I feel good, I can destroy my opponent with my flicks and backhand drive with my long pips that I use for chopping 95% of the time. I can smack their serves, attack their loops and flick their pushes whatever I want as long as I feel confident. With this element then you can concentrate on things above otherwise, many balls would be considered "un-flickable".

I hope this helps! Smile
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
Pioneer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2011 at 10:36am
Nice video and TT cave Wink ... thanks
Blade: Timo Boll ZLF ST
My Feedback

Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2011 at 12:07pm
Nice video. and very good information. Thanks :)
Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88
NoFootwork View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoFootwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2011 at 1:14pm
Nice video and follow up explanation.  

As you said, one needs to be decisive with this stroke both mentally and physically.  What I mean is that its very important to get into proper position quickly in order to flick short balls.  If you are still moving in or reaching for a short ball, the consistency of your flick will drop tremendously.  Also, you need to commit to the stroke.  Any hesitation in middle of stroke (even though its a small stroke) will cause you to miss.  Against heavy backspin, strike more to the side of the ball so that you are not fighting against all of the backspin to lift it.

Most important is to remember that the flick is not a point winning shot.  Go for placement, depth, and consistency to force a weaker return that you can then attack with your 4th ball.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2011 at 1:38pm
good tip vid!

But where is the banana or Spanish woman?    Tongue

TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2011 at 1:46pm
Exactly what NoFootwork said, use this stroke as to setup your next point, only flick kill if the ball is that easy :) But I mean, if you keep your flick low and with a good placement, they are already pretty screwed hehe :P
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2011 at 4:09am
TBS9x, thanks for the lesson. I'm going to develope this stroke and incorporate it into my game. I'm so tired of pushing returns. I will start forcing the issue.

A follow-up question for all...

Why is it that most pros with the SH grip don't regularly flip short serves with their BHs, whereas Ovtcharov BH flips ad nauseam.
TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2011 at 8:05am
Schlager and Zhang Jike flick rather often also. But I think it mostly depends on the style and what the player wants to emphasize on. If they are so good at setting up their game by positioning their short pushes then why bother with this (just example of an argument), they could spend time perfecting their other techniques that they feel more important...Just my opinion !
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2011 at 2:08pm

Check out 2:12 in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pZkNCwN2KQ

This is a beautiful slow mo of Zhang Jike's backhand loop over the table.
zookato View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zookato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2011 at 4:39pm
Very Good training  (◠‿◠)

And nice cave ;)
professorjay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote professorjay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2011 at 5:52pm
Awesome video, I've been working on this shot and this video is correcting some mistakes in my stroke. Really useful!

One question:  Where is the ideal position to take this shot relative to the ball?  Do you want the ball directly in the center/front of your body?  Slightly left where the ball is in front of your right shoulder (assuming you're right handed)?

BTW, nice Bat Cave.  I imagine this is where Bruce Wayne practices TT too.

Edited by professorjay - 03/09/2011 at 5:52pm
rupertgriffin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rupertgriffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2011 at 7:36pm
Great informative vid. I like the different angles of how it looks like. Nice Joo Se Hyuk serves and twiddles :D
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2011 at 7:55pm
great Vid, can you flick using the long pimples?

Edited by smackman - 03/09/2011 at 7:56pm
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2011 at 9:37am
Hahaha XD ... I'm being compared to Batman, yay! Thanks all for your support :) Really appreciate it. If I can persuade my parents to buy me a proper tripod so that I can start making videos of myself playing tournaments and making technique tutorials at my club I would be able to say goodbye to the nasty batcave =))
@professorjay: I personally like it in front of me, as most of other backhand techniques. I mean in front of you, you have the most control over the ball I believe. A little shift to left or right doesnt matter much but too much to the side would create a big difference.
@smackman: ye, definitely. I can flick like this or smack the serve, depends on the serve and my mental conditions also.
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2011 at 11:28am
I have been grappling with this shot for some time now. One of the biggest problems with this shot (well for me anyway) is confidence. The confidence to just go for it. The next problem is keeping the wrist relaxed. I am most tense during service returns.

It is getting better but a lot of work is still needed.

Great video by the way.
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
AVarun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AVarun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2011 at 1:13pm
"As you said, one needs to be decisive with this stroke both mentally and physically.  What I mean is that its very important to get into proper position quickly in order to flick short balls.  If you are still moving in or reaching for a short ball, the consistency of your flick.."

Sounds good!  My errors have been pointed out by a coach: pressing with my thumb instead of my index finger, going straight to the ball instead of stroking around it,  taking it too early, trying to push the ball down rather than lift it up, keeping the wrist too tight, reaching for instead of physically moving to the ball, not getting into position for the next ball by standing stiff and square in the same place,  not turning the wrist as you contact the ball since it is largely a wrist and finger stroke, going or finishing sideways with the stroke instead of forward, failing to use the tip of the racket for the flip, not the bottom or even middle...

Quite a few errors!  But there's consolation in knowing from 'pingskills' that this is a stroke that could take years to master.

TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2011 at 1:24pm
^^  Some people are just more fortunate and could use their wrists  better than the others but working hard and doing it the right way, you will get there anyway! You need to be passionate about the stroke, willing to embrace it and when you decide to execute it, really go for it! Easier said than done but I think any of us can do it eventually =)
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
AVarun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AVarun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2011 at 3:23pm
 I like your remark in the video to be decisive, go for it, and finish in the right way. This stroke is not a tentative or doubtful one. My ball often goes off the table( whether on loop or flip/flick) because it's slow and tentative, not quick and decisive.  But that doesn't mean you rush either. I'm often doing the worst of both things- rushing to contact the ball, and making a slow upwards stroke once the ball is engaged. It's really crisp and forward.  You may also want to advise on how to flick a shorter ball. The balls in your video are a little longer, and higher, than what I recently faced!
Rainer87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2011 at 3:48pm
Ma Long 2:15

TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2011 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by AVarun AVarun wrote:

I like your remark in the video to be decisive, go for it, and finish in the right way. This stroke is not a tentative or doubtful one. My ball often goes off the table( whether on loop or flip/flick) because it's slow and tentative, not quick and decisive.  But that doesn't mean you rush either. I'm often doing the worst of both things- rushing to contact the ball, and making a slow upwards stroke once the ball is engaged. It's really crisp and forward.  You may also want to advise on how to flick a shorter ball. The balls in your video are a little longer, and higher, than what I recently faced!

It's good that you mention the "not rushing" issue. I think I forgot to include that. Doesn't matter if it is a backhand loop or backhand flick, especially against backspin, I always tell my trainee "first, curve your arm and your wrist, bend your legs and wait for it with patience but as soon as it is time to strike, you WHIP the ball without any mercy!!!". Most people are not successful with the backhand because of little devotion to the stroke and not doing it the right way, that's all. Also there is something in their head that the backhand is always weaker, I dont believe so, backhand can be a monster if you utilize it well. As a chopper, I fear a lightning backhand loop more than anything, look at how Kreanga pounded Joo...Recently, Adrian Crisan also launched some rockets against Joo and it clearly showed some good results.
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2011 at 2:47pm
 You just reminded me of my own video lol.. but obviously yours is of a higher quality.

have a look :p, I set the robot to double bounce and kept flicking.

Member of Wang Hao fan club.

Hurricane Hao III
FH: Thors
RPB: Omega Pro
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic