Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

How much does the glue on your blade weigh?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jjk212 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjk212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much does the glue on your blade weigh?
    Posted: 03/07/2011 at 11:23pm
2.8g of butterfly free chack is proven to be left on my blade.  Read on to see how I came up with that.

I just did a little experiment on a new racket I'm going to try out.  While I was weighing the new rubber sheets for the DB I had an idea.  Why not find out the weight of each component, add them all up then weigh the complete racket and subtract all the individual components to get the weight of the glue

Overview:
Yasaka Balsa +
Friendship 729 FX Super Soft
DHS Hurricane III (19 Sponge)
Butterfly Free Chack

Blade
Yasaka Balsa +
   69.5g         Initial weight
   64.5g         after 60 mins in the oven at 300deg
   67.4g        after blade seal of 1 coat of minwax water based polycrylic(Blue labeled can)

Forehand Rubber
Friendship 729 FX Super Soft
   49.5g         Uncut Weight
   13.8g         Weight of cutoff(cut after sheet was glued, excess glue removed)
   35.7g        Weight of rubber sheet left on the blade

Backhand Rubber
DHS Hurricane III (19 Sponge)
   60.4           Uncut Weight
   16.3g         Weight of cutoff(cut after sheet was glued, excess glue removed)
   44.1g        Weight of rubber sheet left on the blade

147.2g        Weight off the blade FH sheet and BH sheet.
   150.0g        Weight of assembled racket

Therefore there is 2.8g of Butterfly free chack glue on the blade.

Hope you found this interesting.

On a side note I hope this setup isnt too light for me.  Im just getting back into Table Tennis after about 14 years.  I like the loop style of play at mid distance.  Thats not to say Im good at it yet, but its the style I seem to have the most fun with.

Edited by jjk212 - 03/07/2011 at 11:26pm
First foray into being coached-wish me luck
BL,Yasaka Extra||FH,Yasaka MarkV 2.0 B||BH,Yasaka MarkV 2.0 R
previous
BL,Yasaka Balsa+||FH,729 SuperFX w/Reactor(Orange) 2.2 B||BH,Globe 999 Nat(38d) 2.2 R
Sponsored Links

Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2011 at 11:38pm
You try a homemade kiln drying method on your blades?
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2011 at 11:43pm
Silly:P, your blade is just reabsorbing the water you cooked out of it. Sooner or later it'll weigh the full 69.5 grams again if not more
jjk212 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjk212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2011 at 7:41am
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

Silly:P, your blade is just reabsorbing the water you cooked out of it. Sooner or later it'll weigh the full 69.5 grams again if not more

I consider that a real possibility too.  I also thought there was a chance of warping the blade, luckily there was no warping.  I have to imagine that process of moisture reabsorption will be very slow though, since the blase is now sealed everywhere but the handle.  I wanted a very light blade after it was sealed so I can experiment with a light blade / racket setup.  My former racket was around 180g(Butterfly Mazunov - bought about 15 years with Globe 999 and Friendship 729

Technically a blade could vary by a gram or 2 depending on the time of year due to humidity levels.

I'll weight the blade again the next time I take the rubber sheets off and report back to this post if its around in a few years(I dont change rubber sheets very often).
previous
BL,Yasaka Balsa+||FH,729 SuperFX w/Reactor(Orange) 2.2 B||BH,Globe 999 Nat(38d) 2.2 R
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2011 at 11:33am
I think you may have altered the composition of your blade by cooking it.  The glue layers most likely have changed and it may feel/play slightly different. You could actually have just put it in direct sunlight for a little bit  on each side.  I do that after I use water glue and take off the rubbers shortly after from testing or not getting a perfect glue job.  Usually, I only have found to be able to get 1 gram or so out of a blade that has been used during very humid times. 

But more of a concern of your weight change on your balsa blade is your sealing weight.  The sealing weight should be not even a gram or half gram if done properly.  It does not take much to seal the external fibers.  When I seal both blade faced and also use a good layer of super glue to a blade, I have found the weight is not over 1 gram on most of them I have done. 

Also, Id say your glue weight is pretty close.  I sometimes weigh the peeled off glue from both sides after I take apart a blade and rubber set.  It all depends on how thick the layers are. 
jjk212 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjk212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2011 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

It does not take much to seal the external fibers.  When I seal both blade faced and also use a good layer of super glue to a blade, I have found the weight is not over 1 gram on most of them I have done. 

Also, Id say your glue weight is pretty close.  I sometimes weigh the peeled off glue from both sides after I take apart a blade and rubber set.  It all depends on how thick the layers are. 

Rich215, You mention super glue, what do you use that for?  
previous
Phot0n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phot0n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2011 at 12:50pm
2.8g of glue sounds about right. But this is less than 2% of the total weight (and 150 is a pretty light set-up, btw). Speed glue will definitely add weight as you use more material with more layers, and it gets absorbed. Although it will evaporate some.

Palio TC6 | Globe 999T FH & BH
Palio TCT | Hadou FH, HK1997 BH
Galaxy T-4 | 729 Focus-II FH & BH
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2011 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by jjk212 jjk212 wrote:

Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

It does not take much to seal the external fibers.  When I seal both blade faced and also use a good layer of super glue to a blade, I have found the weight is not over 1 gram on most of them I have done. 

Rich215, You mention super glue, what do you use that for?  

Super glue is a common edge sealer. However, be very careful when doing this as uneven application (thick to thin) can distort blade torsional flex in a noticeable manner.

However,  how much you might notice flex changes may pale compared to the effects of the almost 3g of poly you put on the blade. Much of the softness of the top ply and feel will have been lost in that process. The rubber you use might actually like that harder surface, however.

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic