Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TT Blade - Surface Layer Wood Analysis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sunnyloop View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunnyloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TT Blade - Surface Layer Wood Analysis
    Posted: 03/11/2011 at 12:44pm
(NOTE: The credit goes to "BOTAK" or "BOTAKTT", a Singaporean TT player.  Deep insight and good knowledge! The text is pretty much in its original writing - be aware that some words are SMS style abbreviations)

surface layer wood types and their characteristics

basically, surface layer wood type is the one that determines the so-called, "hand-feeling" for the blade, especially for the soft touches... diff wood types have different characteristics, hence the feelnig for each of them would be very different. even if the same blade, made by the same company has the same speed/speed/control ratings, having different surface layer wood would make the blade entirely different due to the difference in feeling.... which indeed, this surface layer wood is the 1st layer of wood to come into contact with the ball, the wood directly attacked to the rubber, and also directly in contact with your fingers and the handle-wood piece which of course, directly means affects your feeling....

note that in this post, we only look at surface layer wood types and not the 2nd layer, or the core layer of wood.... cuz the surface layers are the ones most easily distinguished with the naked eye, and the biggest determinant for all aspects of hand-feeling, especially for the soft touches. for eg, the inner core layer would involve the blade's stability feeling, and the power feeling when a powerful shot is executed. (plus i haven't go deep enuf into it yet...) so let's just keep things bit simple now 1st....

basically, some of the more popular ones we've come across are.... 1) limba 2) koto 3) hinoki with each of them having their own unique characteristics, hence playstyle that suits them accordingly, and combination with other wood layers to make the best out of the blade. juz keeping things simple, here's some key characteristics of each of them. nowadays brain very dead, cannot write long, detailed and elaborate description.. paiseh ah.......

1) limba. long dwell time in the wood, great spin generated for players who prefers to spin with the rubber's sponge instead of the topsheet. poor speed due to the long dwell time, which is prob due to the loosely connected wood fibres of the wood type (which is also the reason why it splinters off easily). suitable for players who prefers to hold the ball longer in his own grip, who prefers to generate the power shots by himself. gd example would be vladimir samsanov, jun mizutani, petr korbel (i'm toking abt the players here!!) therefore, suitable combination of wood would be hard core layers of wood, 2nd layer probably somewhere in between.... typical good examples, Butterfly Petr Korbel, Stiga Clipper, Butterfly Jun Mizutani, etc etc....

2) koto. short dwell time in the wood, good spin generated for players who prefers to spin with rubber's topsheet instead of sponge. good speed for smashes due to short dwell time. fibres are quite densely connected, hence doesn't splinter off easily. suitable for players who likes to "rebound" the ball back for the soft touches, doesn't like the ball to stay in the blade too long until he has to "push it out" himself... definitely for the close table attackers. hence, suitable wood combinations would be a harder 2nd layer of wood (cannot be carbon, see hinoki) n a relatively softer core layer. typical good examples, Donic Persson Power Play, Butterfly Timo Boll series, and many typical chinese blades designed for traditional close-table attacking chinese style eg Butterfly Chinese Real. special mention to a special example here, even though DHS hurricane hao has a koto surface layer, due to it's special wood selection and engineering it has one of the best grip for all blades. it's damn gd feeling is actually due to the OTHER layers at work, when we're at the soft touches feeling, the ball actually doesn't stay inside for that long. only when the loops and drives starts to come out, the ball stays inside damn damn shiok....

3) hinoki. good dwell time in wood, but gd rebound off the wood too. it feels like it "grips and springs" out of the wood so perfectly the feeling is damn shiok damn shiok... which is why hinoki is the top choice for pure ecstasy feeling. best at control, lacks in power or spin though. as a result, it is pretty much the only surface wood that works well with no-feeling carbon blades cuz all the power can be supplied by carbon, all the feel from the hinoki. center layer would have to be a thick, stable layer of wood, bit more on the hard side. typical good examples, TSP hino-carbon, Butterfly primorac carbon, schlager carbon, sardius, blah blah blah. not to forget all the one-ply hinoki where the power comes entirely from the thickness.

these are the 3 most common surface blades in TT blades.... although, i'd to specially mention 2 more.... walnut, and ebony. walnut, present in Yasaka Extra Offensive and Donic Ovtcharov, has a harder characteristics than koto. however, the rebound speed doesn't seem to be as "stiff" and "reboundy" as koto (i might be wrong...), and the feeling seems to come more from the center layers. which indeed, in both the 2 mentioned blades, the core layers makes it having a "springy" feel in the center layers. the surface walnut layer does feel hard, but apparantly the dwell time is long enuf for the core layers of "spring" to take effect before further catapulting the ball with greater power. so far there hasn't been many blades with walnut as surface layer, so my observations are limited only to these 2 blades. therefore, good wood combination would be with "springy core layers" as with YEO and donic ovtcharov.

ebony, present in stiga's Ebenholz series. definitely the hardest of all so far. and so very dense!! however, it doesn't feel as reboundy and rigid as koto, and it doesn't feel like it works well with springy-cores like walnut.... but prob it feels like somewhere in between, but has the best of both worlds... hard to comment more on it, cuz my use of ebony is quite limited... (aso cuz by now brain really dead liao) note that my use of ebony is entirely with ebenholz NCT V, there it's internal wood structure is much like YEO, and Hurricane king. hence my comparisons of koto, walnut and ebony are based on these few blades.

another special mention, abt Stiga blades and it's numerous technologies designed to "increase rebound speed". stiga blades mostly have limba as their surface layer, prob so it grips well in the europeans' mid-far table shots for the arc generation. however many ppl started realising the balls are actually quite slow, hence stiga tries many technologies to increase rebound speed, and here comes CR, optimum series (crystal surface), carbo, NCT. the CR treatment, essentially makes it feel bit more like koto, decent will with faster rebound sped. Crystal on the other hand, makes the wood doesn't feel like wood... tat's juz my personal feel. but apparantly the optimum sync and optimum plus are very successful in local players, prob cuz the inner layers can generate gd grip and feeling while the outer layer gives good rebound speed (much like DHS hurricane hao mentioned above). for carbo and NCT, it feels like the excessive vibrations BETWEEN WOOD PLIES are very much reduced, giving a stiffer feeling without loss of energy internally in the blade. compare clipper and carbo 7.6 and hybrid wood, and you'll get what i mean...

so some might ask..... since limba + CR/crystal makes it more like koto, why dun use koto right from the start? frankly speaking, i aso dunno..... anyone noes? but then, not very impt lah hor...

hopefully these information will give the reader better insight in choosing a blade for yourself, what kind of feel you like, and what kind of feel you'd require for your idea playstyle. as mentioned b4, the best equipment choice for a player is a combination of "suitability" and "comfort'. you must be comfortable with what the blade gives you, and if the blade is suitable for your own distinct playstyle... which speaking abt choosing of blades, looking at the surface layer wood would be one of the most impt, if not THE most impt factor to consider when you change your old blade to a new one.

personally i've seen many, i really mean many players, who somehow chose a new blade with a totally different surface layer, end up his hand-feel was totally screwed up, from very good to just.... different. for eg, naresh manoj is one gd example. recently i observed he changed to a new blade, very different feel, his talent was like.... where is his talent? ethan poh was another eg, changing from a limba surface layer to koto surface layer. for a period of time his hand feel was pretty messed up too. but thanks to his own talent and for the sake of future development, his current koto blade has higher potential for him.

so as much as possible, if the player's old bat has a limba topsheet, try to stick to the same blade with limba surface layer, the hand feel is more similar, and if the player is looking for more power only, juz choose one with a higher power rating...

for eg.... for limba blades, in ascending order of power.... donic appelgren allround, stiga offensive classic, butterfly petr korbel, donic persson power speed, stiga clipper, juz to put in some of the more common blades we see ard singapore....

for koto blades..... butterfly oh sang eun, DHS KBH, donic persson power play, DHS H-WL, butterfly timo-boll series, juz to name a few too.....

but IF the player is having some problems with his hand feeling, but the power is quite ok, then perhaps changing a blade with a different surface wood layer might be considerable. for eg, dylan ban was having quite some problems with his michael maze, for long time he just looks, uncomfortable... but after he chances to timoboll zlf, woah the ball quality different liao.... the hand feel works very well too. another example, ethan poh has quite some issues with his new koto blade too, particularly in the short control game and defence game, but as long as he noes, or someone can guide him on how to adjust his hand-feel for the koto feel, that should be ok... for this, needs a sharp eye to see if the hand feeling got problem or not, and a strong knowledge to noe what to recommend accordingly....

note that even if 2 blades have the same "blade technology", same "composite material", as long as their surface layer is different, the feeling will still be significantly different.... for eg... butterfly's Arylate-carbon technology...... michael maze (limba), timo boll (koto) and kong linghui (hinoki) all have different feel, particularly in the soft touches, the rubbing grip/feel...

Sponsored Links

TheRobot99 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2011 at 1:05pm
Awesome information. I wondered what the differences in wood were. Does BOTAKTT know about Fineline?  I think it's the surface for the Passion series from JOOLA.
Ross Leidy Custom, DHS Hurricane III Neos, Nittaku Nodias

Xiom Fuga, Globe 999 National 39, Nittaku Nodias

JOOLA Torre All+, DHS Hurricane II #19 Sponge, Galaxy Moon 38

PTTC VP - 2011-12
viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2011 at 1:21pm
Awesome information explained a lot of things that I was wondering about where the difference lies thanksClap
TheRobot99 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2011 at 1:24pm
If you could, sunnyloop, could you format this a bit better?  This would make a great sticky. Thumbs Up
Ross Leidy Custom, DHS Hurricane III Neos, Nittaku Nodias

Xiom Fuga, Globe 999 National 39, Nittaku Nodias

JOOLA Torre All+, DHS Hurricane II #19 Sponge, Galaxy Moon 38

PTTC VP - 2011-12
sunnyloop View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunnyloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2011 at 3:56pm
Here is some wood density information (unit: Kg/dm^3):

(for reference, Water: 1.0)

Ebony : 1.1 - 1.3
Rosewood : 0.9
Walnut : 0.65 - 0.7
Maplewood: 0.6 - 0.75

(Watch out new products from Stiga using Maplewood as surface layer.)

Best99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Best99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2011 at 8:58pm
I think I've read this before... Maybe in OOAK?
Blade: Timo Boll ALC 92 g.
Forehand: Tenergy 05 2.1 mm. (black)
Backhand: Tenergy 05 2.1 mm. (red).
Perfect loops
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2012 at 5:55am
I am looking for a blade with

koto top layer (i.e. rather hard)
fast (a bit more than stiga offensive nct)
flexible (like stiga offensive nct), i.e with a lot of dwell and gears.
all wood.

suggestions? Thanks

Edited by seguso - 01/20/2012 at 5:56am
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
kickass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2012 at 9:19am
Clipper 
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2012 at 9:20am
Originally posted by kickass kickass wrote:

Clipper 

clipper has limba top, not koto. (too soft and too stiff for me)
kickass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2012 at 9:26am
Hurricane King
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2012 at 9:28am

Hurricane King

thank you, but too expensive Sleepy
kickass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2012 at 10:30am
DHS PG3. Just like HK in construction and cheap.  It is hard top and with some flex and fast. I prefer the opposite - soft and stiff. 
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2012 at 10:33am

DHS PG3. Just like HK in construction and cheap.  It is hard top and with some flex and fast.  

very interesting, thank you :)
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2012 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

DHS PG3. Just like HK in construction and cheap.  It is hard top and with some flex and fast.  

very interesting, thank you :)

you are welcome.
avalox p500 is also a very good alternative.
then you have all the dhs ones (most of their 5plies are koto).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic