Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

elmer's glue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
skybitter View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skybitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: elmer's glue
    Posted: 03/19/2011 at 12:23am
is this ok to use? 
Sponsored Links

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2011 at 12:31am
make sure it says "Wood", and you will be peeling off Ur top veener when you change rubbers. You dilute the school children's white elmers with some water, it is a poor man's clean chack, usable, but not exactly the original. The Elmers Rubber Cement is the King of inexepensive, clean, hassle free gluing of rubbers to the blade. just dont use it on OX.  :)
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
cls2222 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cls2222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2011 at 2:20am
It's much, much better than Donic Formula water glue. I had to use terpentine to get soft rubbers off my blade without the sponge ripping off.
Korbel
Stiga Boost TX   

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2011 at 10:14am
There are so many "glues" made by Elmers.     SEE ELMERS PRODUCTS HERE

You want this one

If you use the white school paper glue, it will dry hard and not work well and destroy your blade and rubber most likely. You want a soft flexible glue like the rubber cement.

Edited by Rich215 - 03/19/2011 at 10:15am
RJTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2011 at 10:45am
Originally posted by skybitter skybitter wrote:

is this ok to use? 

Yes, Elmers Rubber Cement is fine to use. Do not try any other glue made by them just the cheap rubber cement in the brown bottles in the office section of most stores.

Founding member and club director of: Davidson County Table Tennis Club, NC.

www.davidsoncountytabletennisclub.com

CLUB SPONSORS: Joola, Giant Dragon, Zero Pong, Newgy, mypingpongbuddy
skybitter View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skybitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2011 at 11:03am
this is what i will try to use. http://www.elmers.com/product/detail/E1322
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2011 at 11:36am
Do not use the all purpose glue.

Instead use the rubber cement http://www.elmers.com/product/detail/E904

Mark
RJTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2011 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Do not use the all purpose glue.

Instead use the rubber cement http://www.elmers.com/product/detail/E904

Mark

Yep, thats the one. Use this one shown here. DO NOT US THE ALL PURPOSE GLUE!!

Or if you wanted to you can try Tear Mender that is 100% VOC free.

skybitter View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skybitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2011 at 8:58pm
do you think this is available in ace hardware? 
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2011 at 9:12pm
Rubber cement, Tear Mender are both carried by Ace Hardware.Smile
skybitter View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skybitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2011 at 9:15pm

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1390356&kw=rubber+cement&origkw=rubber+cement&searchId=55054564633

this is what i've only search in their website. if ever will any brand of rubber cement would be fine?

Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2011 at 9:29pm
That is made for tire repair. It will work alright! It is close to old speed glue. Ace carries regular rubber cement in a bottle.  Just ask or look in the glue area.
RJTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2011 at 10:48pm
Elmers RC can be found at about any place that has an office and school section. Tear Mender can be found at Ace, Tractor Supply, and various on line sources.

I reccomend you buy some of those cheap foam brushes found in the paint section of most stores. They usually come in a varity pack of different sizes. These work best with both RC and TM. Because they have an edge to them you can apply the glue even and thin.

strulag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strulag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2011 at 7:13am
Does anyone know if the DAP contact cement is the same as this or if it's good for gluing our rubbers to the blade?
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2011 at 10:17am
I'm not familair with dap's version.  If it's white and pasty I woudln't use it.

I recommend you get the metal liter tins of elmers rubber cement.  $8 (price shot up) at office depot.  They stay much more liquid than the brown jars, which are already gloppy by the time you buy them.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2011 at 10:29am
Originally posted by strulag strulag wrote:

Does anyone know if the DAP contact cement is the same as this or if it's good for gluing our rubbers to the blade?

Never use contact cement for gluing rubbers. You will never be able to get them off the blade and the contact cements creates a hard permanent bond without the elasticity of the rubber cement.
Don't do it.
#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC
strulag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strulag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2011 at 11:00am
It seems to be the same as the Elmer's. I think it even smells the same. On the back it says it's good for vinyl, leather, metal and wood so I'm assuming that it might form a stronger bond if in fact it is different from Elmer's.
DeIgado View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeIgado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2011 at 12:47pm
go to walmart and buy rubber cement, its cheapest there.
Viscaria 86g T05 T05-fx
2059 and rising
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2011 at 1:29pm
Dap Contact Cement is PERMENANT! Don't use it. It is not like rubber cement. It is VERY strong. You will never get the sponge off in one piece.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2011 at 1:31pm
if it's for metal don't use it...it's permanent.  Rubber cement is for paper mostly.  Carter used to market the same product as paper cement and elmers used to have it in a tiny bottle with a rubber aplicator for paper.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic