FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

The 2011 Volkswagen Cup...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2011 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by ejmaster ejmaster wrote:

pong pong, in the world cup also play chinese players and in the ittf pro tour.

1 of the wcup he beats in a row wlq, ma lin, whao.

not even waldner has 3 european championships. Maybe you think to win 1 is easy but the history shows that to win 3 it is not.

that is not bla bla, these are wins, facts.

toc toc.

I think a player's ultimate greatness is defined how close he/she is to achieve a career "Grand Slam".  Only Waldner & Liu Guoliang did it, and Kong Linghui came close, I believe...

Timo is far off, with only World Cup title to show so far, unfortunately.
Sponsored Links

johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2011 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

pong pong, in the world cup also play chinese players and in the ittf pro tour.

1 of the wcup he beats in a row wlq, ma lin, whao.

not even waldner has 3 european championships. Maybe you think to win 1 is easy but the history shows that to win 3 it is not.

that is not bla bla, these are wins, facts.

toc toc.

I think a player's ultimate greatness is defined how close he/she is to achieve a career "Grand Slam".  Only Waldner & Liu Guoliang did it, and Kong Linghui came close, I believe...

Timo is far off, with only World Cup title to show so far, unfortunately.

I think that Kong Linghui also won the three major titles: Olympics, World Champinoship and World Cup...
Blade: OSP Virtuoso-L RST 87gr
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2011 at 3:34pm
I think that Kong Linghui also won the three major titles: Olympics, World Champinoship and World Cup...

You are right... I think Liu Guoliang also has all the major titles in doubles...The only player to have ever done so.

Edited by roundrobin - 03/26/2011 at 3:34pm
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2011 at 10:28pm
Timo Boll has a privileged position in the tt history because:

Timo Boll is facing the hardest field in the tt history. And the higuest level of tt playing ever.

I mean the poor Ma Long or XuXin or ZJK who also never won a world championship would eat alive Kong Linghui or Persson or Gatien in their peak time. And i wouldn't bet to Waldner or Liu Guoliang very confident.

I remember Kong Lingui (as good as always more or less) losing to a bad level Chen qi in the wttch i think 4-0. I can imagine now.

And Timo Boll is fighting with chances.

So at present he is the only non chinese player having a seat fighting competitive in the hardest TT field of the history.

Waldner in Manchester 97 won Samsonov in the final, and Primorac, Gatien, Yan Sen who i do not think it is the same level of playing as Wlq, Ma Lin and Wang Hao in the World Cup Timo Boll won.

And i do not want to talk about Jiang Jiliang because in his peak time i do not think he is able to win a set against wang hao or ma lin or ma long ....

Records and numbers handled without knowledge and analysis drive to results without perspective.   

Edited by ejmaster - 03/26/2011 at 10:52pm
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2011 at 11:14pm

Timo Boll is facing the hardest field in the tt history. And the higuest level of tt playing ever.

I mean the poor Ma Long or XuXin or ZJK who also never won a world championship would eat alive Kong Linghui or Persson or Gatien in their peak time. And i wouldn't bet to Waldner or Liu Guoliang very confident.

I remember Kong Lingui (as good as always more or less) losing to a bad level Chen qi in the wttch i think 4-0. I can imagine now.

So at present he is the only non chinese player having a seat fighting competitive in the hardest TT field of the history.

Waldner in Manchester 97 won Samsonov in the final, and Primorac, Gatien, Yan Sen who i do not think it is the same level of playing as Wlq, Ma Lin and Wang Hao in the World Cup Timo Boll won.

And i do not want to talk about Jiang Jiliang because in his peak time i do not think he is able to win a set against wang hao or ma lin or ma long ....

Records and numbers handled without knowledge and analysis drive to results without perspective.   

This is what I've been saying. When looked at from this perspective Timo is achieving something incredibly difficult. I'm not trying to knock Waldner, Linghui, and Guoliang but you are right. They're peaks were only amazing relative to the competition that existed at the time.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
kumn812 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kumn812 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2011 at 11:21pm

ShockedShockedShocked  i'm nothing to say with your idea  edit you forgot speed glue and 38mm ball ??? Wink
ShockedShockedShocked

Edited by kumn812 - 03/26/2011 at 11:33pm
BTY JPI-S,cypress-s,kokutaku kiwami no1 x2,darker speed90 x2,cypress-s-10mm
TSP special dynam,Yasaka aries
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2011 at 11:44pm
with speed glue and 38 mm ball, ma long, zjk, xxin, ma lin, whao, wlq and the rest would also eat alive those former champions. 
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2011 at 1:43am

with speed glue and 38 mm ball, ma long, zjk, xxin, ma lin, whao, wlq and the rest would also eat alive those former champions. 

Your argument have some merit but you must put it into perspective as well.  All the great champions -past and present- thrive in their era, regardless of the level of competition.  A true champion will shine through no matter what.  Based on this, Timo can only be considered as an also-run among current crop of top players, and not a dominant or even a distinguished one.  He has not proven to be better during his entire career than WLQ, Ma Lin & Wang Hao.  In fact he's worse than these three...

Just the facts.
riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2011 at 4:13am
Maybe part of the problem is that Europe does not have anyone else at present who can challenge the Chinese on a consistent basis as Boll does. If Maze could maintain fitness, form and get his approach/tactics right I believe he could still challenge as he has the ability and proven this in the past eg beating WH, HS in worlds, or if there were other player/s who could challenge Boll within Europe and be in the top 5 in the World and be beating the Chinese some of the time then in my view this would breed more confidence for European players on the whole and make them stronger technically and mentally. A perfect example of this is Sweden in the late 80's to the early 2000's with Appelgren, Waldner, Persson, Lindh. Vladi was high in the rankings for many years and did beat Boll often at first but has never really threatened the Chinese. As I see it, Timo is now close to the very high level required to win the World or Olympic title but must improve subtle areas of his game to surprise the opponent and keep them guessing. And fitness must also be at the peak. There is another question here which is, is the level of competition within Europe on the whole now weaker making Boll look better than he is or is the level and dominance in China so continually high now over many years therefore increasing the gap and making it even harder for the rest of the world?

Edited by riker71 - 03/27/2011 at 6:25am
Stratus Powerwood
FH T05
BH T25
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2011 at 7:08am
a great champion compared to who ...........

As Ortega Gasset says 'I'm myself and my circumstances'. If one lives in a neighbourhood where there is no one good tt player, one can be a great champion.

If one lives in a place where there is a strong table tennis league maybe he is not the champion but he is lot better player than the champion of the neighbourhood.

The merit and the circumstances Timo Boll is facing now are higuer level than in the past.

A true champion will shine anyway getting a wttch. Yes or not. I think Ma Long is also a champion and maybe he never gets one.

But if i had to bet in a match i bet for Ma Long. And if i have to say who was better player Kong Lingui or Ma Long, i would say Ma Long and also Timo Boll. But maybe they are not going to have the circumstances to be world champion.

And there is still time to see what is going on.

Edited by ejmaster - 03/27/2011 at 7:28am
EJ Club.

addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2011 at 8:02am
kong linghui had a USATT rating of 2911, ma lin 2899, waldner 2870, Timo Boll 2801.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
GECA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GECA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2011 at 11:22am
Originally posted by janus700 janus700 wrote:

@Youtube (from CCTV)

### Playlist of Full Matches :: Volkswagen 2011 Cup 

Originally posted by Nerix Nerix wrote:

Here are some videos:

Men:

Final: BOLL Timo GER vs WANG Hao CHN

SF: Vladimir SAMSONOV BLR vs WANG Hao CHN

http://www.fileserve.com/file/seGVqda

SF: BOLL Timo GER vs MIZUTANI Jun JPN

http://www.fileserve.com/file/VpmxEJP

QF: CHUANG Chih-Yuan TPE vs MIZUTANI Jun JPN

http://www.fileserve.com/file/ZgvJVZg

QF: MAZE Michael DEN vs WANG Hao CHN

http://www.fileserve.com/file/vGSP8VX

Women:

Final: LI Xiaoxia CHN vs WU Jiaduo GER

http://www.fileserve.com/file/xTjHC3J

SF: WU Jiaduo GER vs LI Jiao NED

http://www.fileserve.com/file/eK8fgZx

SF: LI Xiaoxia CHN vs FUKUHARA Ai JPN

http://www.fileserve.com/file/FmP225c

QF: LI Xiaoxia CHN vs SHEN Yanfei ESP

http://www.fileserve.com/file/phUFN7s

QF: JIANG Huajun HKG vs FUKUHARA Ai JPN

Show:

CHILA Patrick/ROSSKOPF Joerg

CHEN Xinhua/GUO Yuehua

SAIVE Philippe/STRUSE Nicole

SAIVE Jean-Michel/APPELGREN Mikael

Amazing job,thanks a lot guys!
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2011 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

You are right... I think Liu Guoliang also has all the major titles in doubles...The only player to have ever done so.

liu has bagged 2 olympic golds
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2011 at 5:32pm

why the only titles that count are world and olympics. 

2 World Cups (1 beating wlq, ma lin and whao, not easy one), 3 European chs., 18 pro tours and several times, ittf n.1.

Timo Boll will be by far better tt player in the history than Schlager. no matter he still has no wch.

and choking, why choking?. He wasn't better than wlq or whao when they won. so no matter if he gets 4 or 28th, he wasn't good enough at that time to be wchampion.

But now it is different. He can be, though his chance is not big but not smaller than others. it can be his time. it wasn't before.

choking is when you are leading 10-5 and you lose, or leading 8-3 in the 7th game and you lose  both situations have happened to timo.

i dont think there is a pro in the planet that claims. MY GOAL IS TO BE WORLD CUP CHAMPÍON
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2011 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

kong linghui had a USATT rating of 2911, ma lin 2899, waldner 2870, Timo Boll 2801.

USATT ratings are statistically irrelevant here - those guys played one, at most two USATT-rated tournaments... ever.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
kumn812 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kumn812 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2011 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

why the only titles that count are world and olympics. 

2 World Cups (1 beating wlq, ma lin and whao, not easy one), 3 European chs., 18 pro tours and several times, ittf n.1.

Timo Boll will be by far better tt player in the history than Schlager. no matter he still has no wch.

and choking, why choking?. He wasn't better than wlq or whao when they won. so no matter if he gets 4 or 28th, he wasn't good enough at that time to be wchampion.

But now it is different. He can be, though his chance is not big but not smaller than others. it can be his time. it wasn't before.

choking is when you are leading 10-5 and you lose, or leading 8-3 in the 7th game and you lose  both situations have happened to timo.

i dont think there is a pro in the planet that claims. MY GOAL IS TO BE WORLD CUP CHAMPÍON

Clap
BTY JPI-S,cypress-s,kokutaku kiwami no1 x2,darker speed90 x2,cypress-s-10mm
TSP special dynam,Yasaka aries
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2011 at 8:46pm
kumn812, cypress rpb. ok, ok, no more questions. pffffffff, lol.
EJ Club.

dedema2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dedema2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2011 at 4:46am
70 million people in China tuned in to watch this tournament.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic