Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hard Rubber More Spin?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2011 at 6:15pm
For serving, I find it's easier to put spin on the ball using hard rubber.  Softer rubbers tend to be bouncier and the ball *seems* to jump off and carries less spin.

However, it could be comparing apple and orange here.  My hard rubbers are Chinese sticky, while my soft ones are Euro and tensor.
Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
Sponsored Links

Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2011 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

More non sense!

I have a video some where that shows a looper and chopper playing in front of high speed cameras.  The video indicates the choppers ball is rotating at 137 RPS.   The looper must at least match that speed or the ball will go into the net

Yes, you are right, it is more non sense, thanks for admitting it, cause in this example, you seem to forget everything about blade angle. You don't need to match the speed of the incoming ball, simply adjust your blade angle.

The fact that a soft rubber is easier to generate spin with don't equal to it being able to produce more spin.

I did consider giving it a go to explain it to you, but, wise from previous attempts, I say, stick to your theories, the rest of us rely on the results we get in real life.
The holy grail
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2011 at 6:59pm
hard rubbers produce more brush spin in serves and more sponge spin in power loops.

soft rubbers produce decent spin in slow loops. 
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2011 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

Yes, you are right, it is more non sense, thanks for admitting it, cause in this example, you seem to forget everything about blade angle. You don't need to match the speed of the incoming ball, simply adjust your blade angle.
Do you open your blade when returning back spin with topspin and actually hit the ball up?  If the paddle is neurtral you need to match the rotational speed of the ball.  If you close your paddle your better brush the ball with a higher tangential speed to keep the ball from going into the net.

The fact that a soft rubber is easier to generate spin with don't equal to it being able to produce more spin.
What makes it easier to generate spin with soft rubbers?
What makes a rubber able to generate more spin?
I have told you what makes a spiny rubber spiny but you refuse listen as if the Pope said it is't possible.
Everyone is talking in generalities and these are false because there are exceptions.  It is much easier for me to generate spin with my T05 than with Reflectoid.  T05 is harder so that blow your theory.

I did consider giving it a go to explain it to you, but, wise from previous attempts, I say, stick to your theories, the rest of us rely on the results we get in real life.
Your argument doesn't hold true in all cases and is therefore false.  It is the same as those that make the argument that heavy paddles have more power or hit the ball faster when we all know there are bigger heavier defensive paddle that don't.

This is kind of like talking to people that think the universe rotates around the earth instead of taking a step back and looking at what is really going on.

nashron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nashron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 12:43am
Why most of top china players men use chinese rubber on their fh? Any reasons relate to hardness n spin?

Edited by nashron - 04/06/2011 at 12:45am
Now i use DHS Hking 655 but i miss my the moments i use dr neubaeur firewall plus.
ninglei23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninglei23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 1:04am
because it is hard to use chinese rubber on your BH
Yinhe V-14
FH:Xiom Vega Pro
BH:Donic Baracuda
mayuki24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mayuki24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 1:35am
Originally posted by pablogilberto pablogilberto wrote:

Ninglei - it's not the equipment - it's  you and your technique.Evil Smile

+111111111111111111111111111111111111  Clap

Originally posted by nashron nashron wrote:

Why most of top china players men use chinese rubber on their fh? Any reasons relate to hardness n spin?

as i have read here in the forums, Chinese players said that they need more speed than spin nowadays since the sped glue ban era is done now, they just need to have super speed in rallies/ every shot that they will make, i think they also dont care about the spin but the speed that they would produce in every shot. Watching pro players play they lose because of the placing of the ball and the speed that their opponent have delivered, you cant even think that they are losing against super spin shots because they know how to return it and they are just brushing the ball thats why hard sponge is most preferable for them. 

Also they cant use chinese rubber on backhand because their set - up would be heavy and only a few of them have a good backhand and know how to brush the ball in the backhand easily thats why they are using tenergy series. Tenergy rubbers have high throw and you can produce spin easily and doesnt require to much wrist action or movement because of the spring sponge technology. Big smile
Nittaku Runlox (C-Pen)
FH:    Andro Rasant Powergrip
BH:   Andro Rasant Grip

roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 1:53am
Originally posted by nashron nashron wrote:

is it true that the more the hardness the rubber than the more lethal spin that it can produce?

what is the disadvantage of using hard rubber compare to soft rubber?

i normally like to use soft rubber... but i think i need to change to hard rubber to produce more spin with my fh. now i use tenergy 05 fx at my fh.

From my experience, I could definitely chop away from the table with a lot more spin with hard sticky Chinese rubbers than with soft Japanese or German rubbers.  The difference is quite noticeable.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 2:24am
Pnachtwey;

First statement is still wrong, you still forget to mention at what height you hit the ball. If it's high enough, you can open your balde and hit forward only, with out adding any top spin at all and still clear the net and land the ball on the table.

Second statement, it's not all about hard or soft, I thought I covered this by saying if all other things are equal? What part didn't you get about that? You are comparing apples to oranges. I haven't used Reflectoid, so I don't know what it's like, but Tenergy have very high grip on the surface, which makes it easy to use even for brush looping.

Third statement, again,comparing apples to oranges. When the weight is discussed, you can not bring in other blades to the argument, as it is irrelevant.
The holy grail
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 4:04am
First statement is still wrong, you still forget to mention at what height you hit the ball. If it's high enough, you can open your balde and hit forward only, with out adding any top spin at all and still clear the net and land the ball on the table. 
It isn't wrong.  I was just assuming I am playing against a good chopper than hits the ball fast, deep, and low.  I wasn't assuming I was hitting high balls from a newbie.

Second statement, it's not all about hard or soft, I thought I covered this by saying if all other things are equal?
So what makes the ball spin faster when hit by a hard rubber than a ball hit by a soft rubber?  Just saying so doesn't make it so.  Lets hear a rational explanation that can pass my absurdity test.   If the rubber is made twice as hard will it generate twice as much spin?  If a rubber is 10% harder than another will it generate 10% more spin with the same stroke?  If not then harder isn't always spinier and there must be something else that really causes the extra spin.

What about the hard dried out rubber on my 40 year old paddle?  It is slicker than my Best Anti!  So much for harder always being spinier.

Third statement, again,comparing apples to oranges. When the weight is discussed, you can not bring in other blades to the argument, as it is irrelevant.
Why not? We were not talking about apples and oranges we were talking about paddles.  Many have made the general statement that heavier paddles are 'faster'.  There haven't been any qualifications made on the type of paddle. I have admitted that the speed does increase by a small percentage but not proportional to the weight of the paddle but you have now admitted that 'other' blades may make your claims invalid.

No one ever answered my previous absurdity test for the mass of paddles.  If I have a paddle twice as heavy will the speed after impact be twice as fast?  If the paddle is 10% heavier than another will the speed after impact be 10% greater than the other?  If not there there is something else that really affects the speed after impact much more than the mass of the paddle.

Give it up. The physics aren't on your side.

nashron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nashron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 4:28am
between new soft rubber vs old hard rubber is the top layer of the rubber is different :) i wonder what is the different between chinese rubber.. the top layer and sponge compare to western/japanese rubber... both new :)

It isn't wrong.  I was just assuming I am playing against a good chopper than hits the ball fast, deep, and low.  I wasn't assuming I was hitting high balls from a newbie.

Second statement, it's not all about hard or soft, I thought I covered this by saying if all other things are equal?
So what makes the ball spin faster when hit by a hard rubber than a ball hit by a soft rubber?  Just saying so doesn't make it so.  Lets hear a rational explanation that can pass my absurdity test.   If the rubber is made twice as hard will it generate twice as much spin?  If a rubber is 10% harder than another will it generate 10% more spin with the same stroke?  If not then harder isn't always spinier and there must be something else that really causes the extra spin.

What about the hard dried out rubber on my 40 year old paddle?  It is slicker than my Best Anti!  So much for harder always being spinier.

Why not? We were not talking about apples and oranges we were talking about paddles.  Many have made the general statement that heavier paddles are 'faster'.  There haven't been any qualifications made on the type of paddle. I have admitted that the speed does increase by a small percentage but not proportional to the weight of the paddle but you have now admitted that 'other' blades may make your claims invalid.

No one ever answered my previous absurdity test for the mass of paddles.  If I have a paddle twice as heavy will the speed after impact be twice as fast?  If the paddle is 10% heavier than another will the speed after impact be 10% greater than the other?  If not there there is something else that really affects the speed after impact much more than the mass of the paddle.

Give it up. The physics aren't on your side.

Now i use DHS Hking 655 but i miss my the moments i use dr neubaeur firewall plus.
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 5:01am
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 5:18am
Early on I suggest that a two identical top sheets could be bought and one placed on a hard sponge and the other on a soft sponge.  I asked for a justification for why the hard hard sponge will provide more spin than the soft sponge.  No one has explained why a hard sponge will provide more spin than an soft sponge.

Also, the assertion was that hard rubbers are spinier than soft rubbers.  There were no other qualifiers so my 40 year old dried out hard rubber is still an example of how the general statement that hard rubbers are spinier than soft rubbers is false.

For some reason I can't type from my iPad or edit that blank comment from another computer.  The empty comment can be deleted.

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 5:34am

More non sense!

I have a video some where that shows a looper and chopper playing in front of high speed cameras.  The video indicates the choppers ball is rotating at 137 RPS.   The looper must at least match that speed or the ball will go into the net.

in your own words 'non sense'
The Older I get, The better I was.
silverhair View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 8:05am
Still no web references to why hard sponge generates more spin than soft sponge?  
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 8:47am
pnatchwey

When I read your posts, your Modus Operandi reminds me of the legendary Sid of Millennium.

Like Sid; you have strong views, which you don't like being questioned and your riposte is to ask questions such as, "Lets hear a rational explanation that can pass my absurdity test."

Why should Speedplay or any other intelligent forum member, for that matter; take you or such a question seriously and waste their time answering such a hypothetical question?

And the truth is they don't need to, as it's the flaws in your thinking that deserve to be questioned; not the other way around.

Speedplay has a good reputation on this forum, because he is knowledgeable about Table Tennis and gives good advice.

Rather than insult him, you'd be wise to recognise that he is pointing out the flaws in your thinking, not his.

stoic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stoic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 10:40am
I think we have to eliminate all the variables to create a fair test. A list of all the variables would be useful in this case, so here's some which come to mind:

• Spring of the rubber
  • Speed of the paddle
  • Angle of the paddle
  • Initial spin of the ball
  • Air temperature (Cold air is more dense, thus producing more friction)
  • Humidity (water is denser than air so produces more friction)
  • Surface friction of the rubber

You get the picture, so all of the above would have to be identical for each test of a rubber. I think pnachtwey's posts are the closest to finding an answer so far:  

More non sense!
If there is no spring or stretch across the surface of the rubber the spin is limited by the tangential speed of the paddle.   The question then is which rubber provides more surface stretch or spring, hard or soft?

- The spin is also limited by air temperature, humidity and surface friction of the rubber. I think there are many factors we are not considering in this debate. When each person evaluates a rubber, there many factors which have not been controlled thus not creating a fair test. 

Potential doesn't spin balls.   I can brush loop with soft rubbers too.  I can brush loop with T05 or Mark V.
When evaluating rubbers you need to remove the influence of technique and the human element.
The question should be what rubber will generate the most spin with the same stroke.

+1

Apparently I can spin a ball with the flick of my wrist with soft rubber but can't with hard rubber.  Yet the hard rubber generates more spin.  ??????

- The hardness or softness of the rubber is not the only factor when considering spin.

Congoman, you must think EU-JP players are very lame to only achieve 150 rpm.   6000 RPM ( 100 RPS ) is closer to the real number.  On Greg Letts site he says 150 RPS ( 9000 RPM ) but I doubt everyone can spin the ball that fast.  BTW, 250 RPM is very slow.

- Obviously a misunderstanding with measurements

I have a video some where that shows a looper and chopper playing in front of high speed cameras.  The video indicates the choppers ball is rotating at 137 RPS.   The looper must at least match that speed or the ball will go into the net.

- In certain situations, yes the looper must match the RPS.

http://www.static-sounds.com
Check out our tunes!
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

More non sense!

in your own words 'non sense'
Which part? 137 RPS or the matching surface and tangential speeds?
Are you saying that the looper doesn't have to match or exceed the surface speed of the ball with the tangential speed of the paddle.  This will only work if you the ball is high and will still make it over then net even if it is hit downwards or you open up your paddle to hit the ball up.  Opening the paddle will get the ball back but with a lower spin than when the ball came over net.
I am eager to hear how you loop chopped balls.   How fast must the paddle go to loop a ball with a 100 RPS back spin?  Inquiring minds want to know.  Assume the ball is traveling horizontally at the top of the bounce but the ball must be hit back horizontally to make it over the net.
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by stoic stoic wrote:

I think we have to eliminate all the variables to create a fair test. A list of all the variables would be useful in this case, so here's some which come to mind:

• Spring of the rubber
  • Speed of the paddle
  • Angle of the paddle
  • Initial spin of the ball
  • Air temperature (Cold air is more dense, thus producing more friction)
  • Humidity (water is denser than air so produces more friction)
  • Surface friction of the rubber

You get the picture, so all of the above would have to be identical for each test of a rubber. I think pnachtwey's posts are the closest to finding an answer so far:
OK, but assuming all those things are equal and the same top sheets are on a hard and soft sponge, what would cause one to spin more than the other.   I just bought a second Samsonov Alpha with a Rakza 7 1.8mm and a Rakza 7 soft max.  It will be interesting to compare the two.  The top sheets are the same but the rubbers are different.   Does anyone want to make a bet as to which will generate the most spin?

- The spin is also limited by air temperature, humidity and surface friction of the rubber. I think there are many factors we are not considering in this debate. When each person evaluates a rubber, there many factors which have not been controlled thus not creating a fair test. 
In the same enviroment the test will be fair.  They will be tested in an air conditioned enviroment.  The top sheets are the same.  If I decide to test with the two Samsonov Alphas the paddles will be the same. I have a robot and a crude laser alignment system and a vice to hold the paddle.  Is that good enough?   This wil just eat into my  practice time.

- The hardness or softness of the rubber is not the only factor when considering spin.
We agree and it is one of those other factors that really determine if the rubber is spiny or not.
I am sure my hard dried out 40 year old paddle will not be as spinny as Rakza 7 soft. 

Actually,  I think it is the spring in the rubber that make the difference.   Any decent rubber will not let the ball slide after the first few micro seconds of contact.  Once the ball pushes in to the rubber there will be enough friction where the ball will not slip relative to the rubber.  If there is no stretching across the surface of the rubber the ball can not be spun any faster than the tangential speed of the paddle since the paddle and the ball are traveling at the same speed.   If this were the case then all spin would be limited by the tangential paddle speed and all rubbers with decent friction would spin the same.

There is a spring action that is across the surface of the paddle that causes the extra spin.  Take a ball and push it against the paddle and then try to move across the paddle without the ball slipping on the surface.  You can see that the ball will stretch the rubber a millimeter or two.  The rubber that snaps back to the undistored position faster provides the most spin.

bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 1:16pm
Mate the back spinning ball will stop dead as soon as you hit it anyway, not that it has much left on it after the bounce. The energy in a chopped balls spin is nothing compared to being hit, be lucky to change the angle on the shot more than a couple of degrees. It's of no consequence these days
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Peter C Peter C wrote:

pnatchwey

When I read your posts, your Modus Operandi reminds me of the legendary Sid of Millennium.

Like Sid; you have strong views, which you don't like being questioned and your riposte is to ask questions such as, "Lets hear a rational explanation that can pass my absurdity test."

Why should Speedplay or any other intelligent forum member, for that matter; take you or such a question seriously and waste their time answering such a hypothetical question?

And the truth is they don't need to, as it's the flaws in your thinking that deserve to be questioned; not the other way around.

Speedplay has a good reputation on this forum, because he is knowledgeable about Table Tennis and gives good advice.

Rather than insult him, you'd be wise to recognise that he is pointing out the flaws in your thinking, not his.

Why the personal attack?  Why not stay on topic?  

Speedplay has produced no references to back up any of his claims.  pnatchwey is using logic to question the apparently unproven claims by Speedplay.

And I don't have any confidence in the reputation of someone who cannot back their claims.  

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 2:09pm

Early on I suggest that a two identical top sheets could be bought and one placed on a hard sponge and the other on a soft sponge.  I asked for a justification for why the hard hard sponge will provide more spin than the soft sponge.  No one has explained why a hard sponge will provide more spin than an soft sponge.

Also, the assertion was that hard rubbers are spinier than soft rubbers.  There were no other qualifiers so my 40 year old dried out hard rubber is still an example of how the general statement that hard rubbers are spinier than soft rubbers is false.

For some reason I can't type from my iPad or edit that blank comment from another computer.  The empty comment can be deleted.

Because of my duty at our association, I had the chance to play with many top players and try out many of their equipments.  Time and time again the spinniest loops and serves came from Chinese players with Chinese sticky topsheet and med-hard sponge over the likes of T05, Donic, Yasaka and Stiga users.  I have also tried the same Chinese topsheet with softer sponge variants and the absolute amount of spin that they can produce is significantly less than harder sponge ones that such top players prefer.  This is strictly based on my own experience.  My observation is when executing hardest loops, the hard sponge used by Chinese players does not bottom out as easily as softer ones, so they have an extra gear at the top to add even more pressure/friction to the ball.
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 2:18pm
Knowing some physics isn't going to help you play table tennis if you don't understand how the game works and how the ball reacts to a rubber and blade because then you also have no clue about what physics you are talking about. That's the problem. 

There is nothing to argue about re soft sponge vs hard sponge. A stiffer rubber will always have more power than a soft one if stretched the same amount, it only depends on how strong or weak the player is as to what is his ideal sponge hardness. There's always a point where you start to go backwards again due to lack of speed/strength. Rubber makers don't make all those different hardness's just for the fun of it, they make them to suit the power of as many players as possible

Edited by bluebucket - 04/06/2011 at 2:20pm
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

There is nothing to argue about re soft sponge vs hard sponge. A stiffer rubber will always have more power than a soft one if stretched the same amount, it only depends on how strong or weak the player is as to what is his ideal sponge hardness. There's always a point where you start to go backwards again due to lack of speed/strength. Rubber makers don't make all those different hardness's just for the fun of it, they make them to suit the power of as many players as possible

+1.  Well said.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by silverhair silverhair wrote:

Originally posted by Peter C Peter C wrote:

pnatchweyWhen I read your posts, your Modus Operandi reminds me of the legendary Sid of Millennium. Like Sid; you have strong views, which you don't like being questioned and your riposte is to ask questions such as, "L<span style="">ets hear a rational explanation that can pass my absurdity test.</span>"Why should Speedplay or any other intelligent forum member, for that matter; take you or such a question seriously and waste their time answering such a hypothetical question?And the truth is they don't need to, as it's the flaws in your thinking that deserve to be questioned; not the other way around. Speedplay has a good reputation on this forum, because he is knowledgeable about Table Tennis and gives good advice.Rather than insult him, you'd be wise to recognise that he is pointing out the flaws in your thinking, not his.

Why the personal attack?  Why not stay on topic?  
Speedplay has produced no references to back up any of his claims.  pnatchwey is using logic to question the apparently unproven claims by Speedplay.
And I don't have any confidence in the reputation of someone who cannot back their claims.  

Peter C, thanks for the vote of confidence.

Silverhair, I honestly don't feel I need to spend time to back up my claims against some one who refuses to stay on topic. If he was truly interested to learn (instead of trying to teach, which he clearly isn't knowledgeble enough to do) I might consider going in to the technical aspects of this, but when he brings up his "dead" rubber as an example, it shows to me that he don't want to learn anything.

It was the same story with the paddles, as soon as he was left with out answers, he begun to bring up the fact that a heavy def blade was slower then a heavy off blade. No one was arguing about that, the discussion was always about 2 blades with virtually the same construction, and the heavier of these was always the faster one. Do I know how to explain all the science behind this? No, I don't, but I've experienced it in real life, which is enough proof for me. If Pnachtwey is as brilliant as he likes to suggest, he should rather look at his formulas and try to make them work with reality then trying to change the reality to suit his formulas.

For the record, I said that hard sponge provides a greater potential to create spin, not that it always will create more spin, cause it reqires more effort. A small hint though,why do a rubber bottom out, what happens when a rubber bottoms out and which rubber, hard or soft, is most likely to bottom out?
The holy grail
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

Knowing some physics isn't going to help you play table tennis if you don't understand how the game works and how the ball reacts to a rubber and blade because then you also have no clue about what physics you are talking about. That's the problem.
I understand how the game works.  There is nothing in table tennis that violates the laws of physics.  

There is nothing to argue about re soft sponge vs hard sponge. A stiffer rubber will always have more power
than a soft one if stretched the same amount, it only depends on how strong or weak the player is as to what is his ideal sponge hardness. 
Rubbers don't have power or generate power unless you burn them to create heat.  Then you could power a steam engine or Stirling engine.  A rubber can not pedal your bike or turn a crank to light a light bulb but you can.  You generate the power, not the rubber.  You can move by yourself.  The rubber can not.

A harder sponge will require a faster impact speed ( a higher energy ball ) to compress or stretch the rubber the same amount as a slower ball impacting a softer sponge.   If the energy ( speed ) of two balls impacting the soft and hard rubbers are the same the ball hitting the hard rubber will not compress or stretch the harder sponge as far as the other ball that hits the soft rubber.   So now the sponges are compressed.  The real question is how much of that energy is returned to the ball and why.

Many are repeating hard rubbers are ALWAYS faster/spinier and can't back up their arguments.  Again there is the absurdity test.  If the rubber is twice as hard will it be twice as fast or twice as spiny?  So far this question has be dodged.
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 4:19pm

Many are repeating hard rubbers are ALWAYS faster/spinier and can't back up their arguments.  Again there is the absurdity test.  If the rubber is twice as hard will it be twice as fast or twice as spiny?  So far this question has be dodged.

Yes, it will be!!... subject to other variables remaining same, like:
- grippiness/tackiness of topsheet
- topsheet thickness
- pip structure size and distribution
- hand-speed in linear range ( if it bottoms out it's no more in linear range)
- angle of impact

729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
cougar3219 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cougar3219 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 4:47pm
LOL. I have the perfect setup for this topic. On my foerhand I have Nimbus medium an my Backhand I have NImbus soft. Now which rubber do you suppose give me the greatest potenial for spin. BTW, the blade I use is the Samsonov Alpha blade.
Blade: Timo Boll Spirit (st)

FH Rubber: Donic Baracuda

BH Rubber: Donic Baracuda Big Slam

Blade: Stratus Power Wood (an)

FH Rubber: Donic Baracuda

BH Rubber: Donic Baracuda
mercuur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercuur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 4:48pm
  I have played ritc 729 topsheet with several sponges and also hurricane II with softer and hard sponge. My reason to prefer the harder sponges is mainly my low speed / high spin brushloops on incoming backspin. With soft sponge there is a lack "phenom".

But soft / hard is relative. I could also put ever harder sponge upto concrete-hard underneath that ritc topsheet (for testing) and somewhere the spin will decrease. I suppose there is a certain optimum for a certain topsheet on a certain blade and for a certain player and even for one player for different strokes (to make it even more complex..). Harder then that spin decreases softr it increases. What,s beter now hard or soft ? Imposible to say it like that because of such relativety.

Second thing to not forget is that a soft sponge hardens out on the blade quicker. Bottoming out for instance things really get hard not soft and this allready can happen to a lesser extend on lower impact ; in millimeter or micrometer a soft sponge compresses more with same impact. The more compressed soft sponge can be as hard as the less compressed hard sponge but the forces are less spread over the woodsurface for the soft sponge. The hardness of the wood comes through more then. On a soft blade a softer sponge can still be softer for the setup while on a hard wood the hard sponge shields the wood it can be reversed.

A thing that has not been mentioned is the possible tangentiallity for brushing.

With a harder rubber brushed thin perpendicular to the incoming speed the ball doesn,t dig a hole in the rubber. The effective momentum put on the ball is bigger then because the effective distance between where the bal is touched with the rubber and it,s center is half the diameter. If the topsheet is also tacky it is possible to brush extremely thin creating the highest possible momentum with the lowest speed.

If the sponge is soft to get enough contact force between topsheet and ball this will make the ball penetrate the rubber more and the effective distance for spinmomentum decreases when trying to "spin the ball up" you start to hit from underneath the ball, partly lifting it instead of putting more pure spin on. That means more need to be cautious for a slow loop.
The abbillity to create extreme and variable spin/speed ratio,s decreases with that.

Edited by mercuur - 04/06/2011 at 5:01pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

Silverhair, I honestly don't feel I need to spend time to back up my claims against some one who refuses to stay on topic. If he was truly interested to learn (instead of trying to teach, which he clearly isn't knowledgeble enough to do) I might consider going in to the technical aspects of this, but when he brings up his "dead" rubber as an example, it shows to me that he don't want to learn anything.

When you make claims such as you have, it is necessary to back up those claims with references.  Failing to provide those references, especially when they have been questioned (as they definitely HAVE been questioned) results in a loss of credibility and the claims being dismissed as unsupported opinion.

So, once again, please provide references to back you claims.  I have stayed on topic, this is my third request.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic