Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hard Rubber More Spin?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Congoman View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Congoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by silverhair silverhair wrote:

Still no web references to why hard sponge generates more spin than soft sponge?  

If you are really into it, knock yourself out...

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1953Natur.172..169L
Sponsored Links

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

More non sense!

I have a video some where that shows a looper and chopper playing in front of high speed cameras.  The video indicates the choppers ball is rotating at 137 RPS.   The looper must at least match that speed or the ball will go into the net.

in your own words 'non sense'
Are you saying that the looper doesn't have to match or exceed the surface speed of the ball with the tangential speed of the paddle.  
 YES, Prove me wrong. You can't because I know that it is actually impossible for the arm to make the speed required, what actually happens is that the bat angle compensates and lifts the ball.
You cannot in physics produce me any evidence that the physical arm of a player can reach the arm speed that you say is dependant on the said stroke. What actually happens is that the bat angle compensates for the backspin to lift the ball, the 'brush' is irrelevant on heavy backspin, it will allways end up in a net ball, without the bat angle compensation.
The Older I get, The better I was.
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 5:56pm
We can certainly work out the arm speed of a looper easy enough a quick look at a video of a decent club player and some sums makes it about 13 meters per second at impact. Not so easy for me to work out how fast the ball is spinning
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 6:04pm
)

.... I know that it is actually impossible for the arm to make the speed required, what actually happens is that the bat angle compensates and lifts the ball.

sorry which arm speed are we talking about? 137 RPS is the rotational speed on the ball. 

which means for a 40mm ball its 137 * 40 * (pi=3.14)= 17207mm/sec linear speed =17 meters per sec

definitely most of us loopers match it.... and that's why we can actually loop against a backspin with the racket completely over the ball or at least the racket facing little downwards 

.. and the ball hanging below. Which means the angle of the bat doesn't provide any  vertical lift vector (cos theta LOL)  to the ball to lift it or keep it lifted. 

... yeeeeeehhhhhhhh !!! Hug  

now where's my prize for brushing up school maths?  Confused
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 6:09pm
I wouldn't think anyone can make 17 meters a second :S, I'd say the very best pros with straight arms would be around 14 or 15?
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 6:12pm
then that's an exceptional chopper... and i will push that ball. Angry

but truely... you need that peak hand speed only for a 50th of a second or so. and in general, (taking away that 137 rps)... i proves in general you don't essentially need help from blade angle to lift an underspin!! 
vid1
Vid 2
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Early on I suggest that a two identical top sheets could be bought and one placed on a hard sponge and the other on a soft sponge.  I asked for a justification for why the hard hard sponge will provide more spin than the soft sponge.  No one has explained why a hard sponge will provide more spin than an soft sponge.

Also, the assertion was that hard rubbers are spinier than soft rubbers.  There were no other qualifiers so my 40 year old dried out hard rubber is still an example of how the general statement that hard rubbers are spinier than soft rubbers is false.

For some reason I can't type from my iPad or edit that blank comment from another computer.  The empty comment can be deleted.

Because of my duty at our association, I had the chance to play with many top players and try out many of their equipments.  Time and time again the spinniest loops and serves came from Chinese players with Chinese sticky topsheet and med-hard sponge over the likes of T05, Donic, Yasaka and Stiga users.  I have also tried the same Chinese topsheet with softer sponge variants and the absolute amount of spin that they can produce is significantly less than harder sponge ones that such top players prefer.  This is strictly based on my own experience.  My observation is when executing hardest loops, the hard sponge used by Chinese players does not bottom out as easily as softer ones, so they have an extra gear at the top to add even more pressure/friction to the ball.
What would happen if you gave one of those chinese players used a say LT sound and they did the same stroke? To me a fast shot is not always the spinniest and the timing of a loop type drive at almost before the top of the bounce will go like a rocket becuase of two things 
1. the timming of the shot (as in hitting the ball early so it is already back to the other side before another ball that has been hit latter (so in some case if you hit the ball 3 inches back +the ball has to go 3inche forward to get back to the place where the other person hit it = therfore 6 inches faster per time factor
2. impact from the bat and speed at the right moment

Edited by smackman - 04/06/2011 at 6:14pm
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

Early on I suggest that a two identical top sheets could be bought and one placed on a hard sponge and the other on a soft sponge.  I asked for a justification for why the hard hard sponge will provide more spin than the soft sponge.  No one has explained why a hard sponge will provide more spin than an soft sponge.

Also, the assertion was that hard rubbers are spinier than soft rubbers.  There were no other qualifiers so my 40 year old dried out hard rubber is still an example of how the general statement that hard rubbers are spinier than soft rubbers is false.

For some reason I can't type from my iPad or edit that blank comment from another computer.  The empty comment can be deleted.

Because of my duty at our association, I had the chance to play with many top players and try out many of their equipments.  Time and time again the spinniest loops and serves came from Chinese players with Chinese sticky topsheet and med-hard sponge over the likes of T05, Donic, Yasaka and Stiga users.  I have also tried the same Chinese topsheet with softer sponge variants and the absolute amount of spin that they can produce is significantly less than harder sponge ones that such top players prefer.  This is strictly based on my own experience.  My observation is when executing hardest loops, the hard sponge used by Chinese players does not bottom out as easily as softer ones, so they have an extra gear at the top to add even more pressure/friction to the ball.
What would happen if you gave one of those chinese players used a say LT sound and they did the same stroke? To me a fast shot is not always the spinniest and the timing of a loop type drive at almost before the top of the bounce will go like a rocket becuase of two things 
1. the timming of the shot (as in hitting the ball early so it is already back to the other side before another ball that has been hit latter (so in some case if you hit the ball 3 inches back +the ball has to go 3inche forward to get back to the place where the other person hit it = therfore 6 inches faster per time factor
2. impact from the bat and speed at the right moment

Yes, I have done that many times by switching setups with them or ask them to use different setups.  To answer your question directly:  A looping stroke designed for firm-sponge Chinese smooth rubbers will not work with something like LT Sound.  These visiting Chinese players will adjust their strokes quite a bit after hitting a few balls lightly with the new setups and find the one that works. 
One of the players I played with frequently was Ma Lin's former training partner.  He tried many of our club members' paddles at their request.  When he used Euro or Japanese rubbers he could make a louder cracking sound when looping than anyone I know, indicating he was getting exceptional contact with every loop.  He was also able to use a penhold pips out setup and tried to serve and play like Liu Guoliang.  There's little doubt in my mind a top player of his caliber could use non-Chinese inverted rubbers effectively if he wishes.  BTW, his backhand rubber was Nittaku Hammond Pro Alpha 2.2mm.

Edited by roundrobin - 04/06/2011 at 6:36pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

then that's an exceptional chopper... and i will push that ball. Angry

but truely... you need that peak hand speed only for a 50th of a second or so. and in general, (taking away that 137 rps)... i proves in general you don't essentially need help from blade angle to lift an underspin!! 

How do we explain being able to return a loop that's moving at twice the revs per second as a chop is........with a punch block where the blade isn't moving up or down at all :) all the while pretty much killing the spin dead

Edited by bluebucket - 04/06/2011 at 6:40pm
silverhair View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by Congoman Congoman wrote:

Still no web references to why hard sponge generates more spin than soft sponge?  

A study from 1953 that is only marginally applicable?  And it doesn't really differentiate much difference at the level we're examining.

Gimme a fricking break.  This proves nothing.

How about something that is really pertinent?  Maybe something recent.  

Your credibility and Speedplay's claims still go unsupported.  
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 7:42pm

Originally posted by Congoman Congoman wrote:

A study from 1953 that is only marginally applicable?  And it doesn't really differentiate much difference at the level we're examining.

Gimme a fricking break.  This proves nothing.

How about something that is really pertinent?  Maybe something recent.  

Your credibility and Speedplay's claims still go unsupported.  

Everything being equal (topsheet, blade, thickness), a regular smooth rubber (not anti) with firm sponge will produce more spin when executed by world-class players than a softer one.  I don't understand why you can't accept this fact from other people's real life experiences... Confused
stoic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stoic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 8:03pm
In the same enviroment the test will be fair.  They will be tested in an air conditioned enviroment. The top sheets are the same.  If I decide to test with the two Samsonov Alphas the paddles will be the same. I have a robot and a crude laser alignment system and a vice to hold the paddle.  Is that good enough?   This wil just eat into my  practice time.

Sounds good, but how will the spin be measured, any design engineers here? I think that your practice time would have to be forfeited to find a conclusive answer, because the differences in spin production maybe too small to guess and human perception is prone to error.
We agree and it is one of those other factors that really determine if the rubber is spiny or not.
I am sure my hard dried out 40 year old paddle will not be as spinny as Rakza 7 soft. 

I look forward to your view on the Rakza soft vs hard, it's a rubber I've been considering buying.

Actually,  I think it is the spring in the rubber that make the difference.   Any decent rubber will not let the ball slide after the first few micro seconds of contact.  Once the ball pushes in to the rubber there will be enough friction where the ball will not slip relative to the rubber.  If there is no stretching across the surface of the rubber the ball can not be spun any faster than the tangential speed of the paddle since the paddle and the ball are traveling at the same speed.   If this were the case then all spin would be limited by the tangential paddle speed and all rubbers with decent friction would spin the same.

There is a spring action that is across the surface of the paddle that causes the extra spin.  Take a ball and push it against the paddle and then try to move across the paddle without the ball slipping on the surface.  You can see that the ball will stretch the rubber a millimeter or two.  The rubber that snaps back to the undistored position faster provides the most spin.

+1 Speed glue is known to increase the spring, and I read somewhere it increases the spin by a percentage over 10. Increase in spring does seem to increase spin from my experience.
http://www.static-sounds.com
Check out our tunes!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 8:04pm

Everything being equal (topsheet, blade, thickness), a regular smooth rubber (not anti) with firm sponge will produce more spin when executed by world-class players than a softer one.  I don't understand why you can't accept this fact from other people's real life experiences... Confused

Because it's counterintuitive.  As softer sponge compresses, it gets harder.  The throw would be longer spinning the ball more than just a quick release from harder sponge.

Edited by silverhair - 04/06/2011 at 8:05pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 8:22pm
If you ever played a soft sponge on the forehand and tried to loop with it you'll know what happens when a soft sponge compresses..... The ball leaves the bat before the sponge returns and flys straight over the table, spin-less
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 8:22pm

... When he used Euro or Japanese rubbers he could make a louder cracking sound when looping than anyone I know, indicating he was getting exceptional contact with every loop...

RR,

Was the loud crack just the click of those Euro/Jpn speedglue-effect rubbers or was there some wood in it, meaning the Chinese players were driving the ball more, giving a flatter arc?
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

... When he used Euro or Japanese rubbers he could make a louder cracking sound when looping than anyone I know, indicating he was getting exceptional contact with every loop...

RR,

Was the loud crack just the click of those Euro/Jpn speedglue-effect rubbers or was there some wood in it, meaning the Chinese players were driving the ball more, giving a flatter arc?

It was a combination of both... And you are correct, they drive the ball extremely hard with an almost straight arm, while trying to give it as low arc as possible.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 8:32pm

Everything being equal (topsheet, blade, thickness), a regular smooth rubber (not anti) with firm sponge will produce more spin when executed by world-class players than a softer one.  I don't understand why you can't accept this fact from other people's real life experiences... Confused

Because it's counterintuitive.  As softer sponge compresses, it gets harder.  The throw would be longer spinning the ball more than just a quick release from harder sponge.

Not if you can swing the blade faster to compress the hard sponge as much as the softer one.  At many pro's level they could "bottom" out a soft sponge rubber too easily, thus robbing them of maximum compression when executing their hardest shots.
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 9:17pm
this debate will never end .. because truth is often so counter-intuitive. 
vid1
Vid 2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 9:47pm

Because the water looks fine, I'm gonna jump in, with questions.

Firstly, regarding "mechanical spin." Is this spin produced by the cupping of the ball by either just the topsheet or both the topsheet and sponge? Can a topsheet that, for the sake of discussion, has absolutely no grip, still produce mechanical spin if it, either alone or along with the sponge, adequately cups the ball? In other words, does the production of mechanical spin rely on the presence of friction?

Can it be determined how much of the total spin is grip (friction) applied and how much is mechanically applied?

If two topsheets have the same amount of grip, will the one that can also cup the ball more, either by itself or together with the sponge, produce more total spin, because it produces more mechanical spin?

Is the total amount of spin then dependent only on the amount of available grip from the topsheet and the degree of cupping from either the topsheet alone or the topsheet together with the sponge? How does the duration of contact, aka dwell time, fit into this? It seems the amount of cupping should be proportional to the dwell time, correct?

Is it correct to say that, when both fully compressed down to the wood, a soft and firm sponge of identical thickness will provide the same amount of cupping hence the same amount of mechanical spin? Or does the contact with the wood somehow shortens the contact/dwell time and reduces the amount of mechanical spin?

For the same amount of swing effort, shouldn't a softer sponge cup the ball more than a firm sponge because it is more easily compressed to a greater extent, so that it produces more mechanical spin?

Whew.

Edited by racquetsforsale - 04/06/2011 at 9:49pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2011 at 11:02pm

Not if you can swing the blade faster to compress the hard sponge as much as the softer one.  At many pro's level they could "bottom" out a soft sponge rubber too easily, thus robbing them of maximum compression when executing their hardest shots.

It won't compress as much because it's hard, and it won't compress as long because the ball will rebound more quickly / shorter dwell.  
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2011 at 1:34am
I see lots of potential ways to generate spin...

1.Surface friction/tackines.
2.Dwell time when combined with motion.
3."Catapult" effect from the tension of the pimple structure and/or sponge.

I think if they allowed thicker rubber, softer sponged rubbers would be used because it would let the pros swing harder without negative effects like bottoming out, but as is, harder rubber lets them swing harder and faster which in the end is what makes the spin, the person, not the rubber.

Also you can argue about how things react to spin and how they effects their ability to generate counter spin, like when trying to loop a backspun ball when your ability to generate spin hinders your actual generation of it. Pros don't have so much of this problem because they overpower incoming spin so often with their confident, all out strokes. And then you have pips and anti which are a whole different issue of defining "generating spin" from "causing spin" and how chopping topspin with inverted differs from long pips in that way.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2011 at 2:24am

Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

Silverhair, I honestly don't feel I need to spend time to back up my claims against some one who refuses to stay on topic. If he was truly interested to learn (instead of trying to teach, which he clearly isn't knowledgeble enough to do) I might consider going in to the technical aspects of this, but when he brings up his "dead" rubber as an example, it shows to me that he don't want to learn anything.
When you make claims such as you have, it is necessary to back up those claims with references.  Failing to provide those references, especially when they have been questioned (as they definitely HAVE been questioned) results in a loss of credibility and the claims being dismissed as unsupported opinion.
So, once again, please provide references to back you claims.  I have stayed on topic, this is my third request.  

I've only noticed it twice, but then again, I've not read the entire tread.

I back up my claims with real life experience.

Still not sure why I should have to find reference that I'm right, as I haven't seen any reference that holds true that shows me wrong. Perhaps yu should start by finding a reference that shows why I'm wrong?

When you loop, the ball digs in to the sponge, and with a harder sponge, you can loop harder/faster before it bottoms out, and the harder/faster you loop, the more spin there will be on the ball, thus giving the harder sponge a greater ability to generate spin.

And to make sure that there is no absurd answers to this, it only holds truth if all other things are being equal regarding the rubber/sponge.
The holy grail
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2011 at 2:30am

)

.... I know that it is actually impossible for the arm to make the speed required, what actually happens is that the bat angle compensates and lifts the ball.

<div id="isChromeWebToolbarDiv" style="display:none">
sorry which arm speed are we talking about? 137 RPS is the rotational speed on the ball. 
which means for a 40mm ball its 137 * 40 * (pi=3.14)= 17207mm/sec linear speed =17 meters per sec
definitely most of us loopers match it.... and that's why we can actually loop against a backspin with the racket completely over the ball or at least the racket facing little downwards 
.. and the ball hanging below. Which means the angle of the bat doesn't provide any  vertical lift vector (cos theta LOL)  to the ball to lift it or keep it lifted. 

Debraj, not sure if I get your post, but are you saying that the average club looper is able to reach a speed of 17 metersper sec with their arm?

If so, I find it pretty amazing, cause I recently watched a show called "Sport Science" (not sure how serious they are, but they do seem to take things extremely serious) and they did some experiment concerning different fighter. As a reference, they used a venom snake, and showed that during attack, the snake moved at 2.4-3 m/s. Then they had a Kung Fu fighter ( can't remember what Kung Fu is called when they compete in it, but I do think this guy was the world champion) who was supposed to be the fastest fighter in the world. They measured his hand/arm speed when hitting and he reached 12 m/s with his stroke.

If the average club player is faster then that, then credit to TT players all over the world.

How ever, when looping, we use both arm and wrist, to accelerate the speed of the blade, but I still find it hard to belive that the average club player could reach such speed during a loop.
The holy grail
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2011 at 3:24am
3m/s for a snake's strike sounds really low. I googled but didn't find anything conclusive, but I vaguely remember a show on TV about snakes. It mentioned that a rattlesnake can strike @ 70 miles per hour, which is 27m/s, if not more. A good martial artist can certainly dodge or parry a punch from another, but there is absolutely no way a human can react fast enough avoid a striking rattlesnake, which strikes faster than the eye can see.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2011 at 3:39am

)

I'm talking about the higher end of heavy chop, and I don't need maths, just a lifetimes experience to know that any attempt to lift it with a closed bat ends in the ball being dumped in the net. Infact its one of the most common mistakes of intermediate/lower rated players that they believe heavy chop has to be competed with. Can I ask how you loop float? decrease you bat speed accordingly, or close your bat angle?

The Older I get, The better I was.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2011 at 3:47am
http://www.livedash.com/transcript/sport_science-(the_deadliest_strike)/3774/CSNBA/Sunday_August_1_2010/394472/

Scroll down to ~37, where the snake vs boxer begins.

This is a link to a transcript from another one of their shows, where they test a rattlesnake vs a boxer. The rattlesnake strikes at 15ft/s=4.572m/s. The boxer strikes 30ft/s=9.144m/s.

Can't find any clips, or links to the show I watched, sorry.

From the page:

00:35:52 >> In the sweet science of boxing, the most devastating punches aren't always the hardest.
00:36:06 Sometimes it's the blinding strikes mmt boxers spend a large percent able of their training focus specifically on hand speed.
00:36:19 But hour fast are the fists flying?
00:36:22 And how does the hand speed of a champion boxer compare to one of the animal kingdom's fastest strikes?
00:36:31 >> We rigged a real ringer.
00:36:34 It's not boxer versus boxer.
00:36:37 It's boxer versus snake.
00:36:39 And may the best species win.
00:36:44 >> Going against each other toe to tail, we are bringing in two performers in their prime.
00:36:52 This this corn e, representing the animal kinger, the western diamondback rattlesnake.
00:37:04 This viper killed more people in northern america than any other snake.
00:37:10 And in our corner, is a fight horse is known to have some of the fastest hands in boxing.
00:37:16 Chad dawson.
00:37:22 Chad entered the ring more than 25 times and left victorious every time with 60% of those wins by knockout.
00:37:34 We will test the rattle snake first.
00:37:42 We have never brought something so potentially lethal into the lab.
00:37:46 So the snake wranglers calls for a monday toir sayty meeting.
00:37:53 >> It destroys blood and tissue.
00:37:59 You get major tissue damage.
00:38:03 A snake like this, you are going to be in the hospital for quite some time.
00:38:09 >> The snake wranglers will position a balloon at two feet away and we will be looking at the snake's top speed as it lunges to the target.
00:38:26 We will capture the tight byte to determine how fast it moved.
00:38:31 >> They have an extremely fast strike.
00:38:35 It's like an explosion.
00:38:41 >> It's time to find out who's faster.
00:38:46 A rattlesnake or a boxer.
00:38:49 First up, the rattler.
00:39:21 So how fast is this deadly strike?
00:39:25 Analysis reveals a top speed of 15 feet per second.
00:39:31 That incredible acceleration is the equivalent of going 0 to 60 in under three seconds.
00:39:44 Animal kingdom's ringer is fast.
00:39:45 But now it's time to bring in our ringer.
00:39:49 Undefeated light heavyweight champion chad dawson.
00:40:01 >> Chad dawson, you have some of the fastest nands boxing.
00:40:05 How do you punch so quickly?
00:40:07 >> It's like a rattle snake.
00:40:10 A rattle snake, you want to be ready to strike.
00:40:16 And when you make a move, the snake reacts.
00:40:18 You want to be loose and aggressive.
00:40:24 >> For this experiment, our high speed camera will time chad's single punch to our crash test dummy.
00:40:36 We will read the exact moment chad's first makes contact.
00:40:42 >> See that real explosive energy.
00:40:45 Just like that.
00:40:46 Coiled up snake.
00:40:47 Whack.
00:40:51 >> So can chad outstrike one of nature's fastest strikes?
00:40:56 Find out when "sport science" returns.

I'm kind enough to cut out the advertisment, so here comes the rest of it:

00:44:20 >>> For a boxer, fast hands mains the difference mean taking home hardware and taking a hard fall.
00:44:27 So we want to know just how fast an elite boxer can really strike.
00:44:33 And how does the bocker's hands speed compare to one of nature east fasters strikers.
00:44:41 To test first versus fang, we started with a predator with a nasty rep constitution.
00:44:50 The western diamondback rattlesnake.
00:44:53 We measured a strike speed of 15 feet per sec.
00:44:58 So can this boxer, world heavyweight champion chad dawson, strike as quickly as this rattle snake?
00:45:08 Chad is willing to give it a shot.
00:45:23 >> Yeah.
00:45:27 >> So how fast was that punch?
00:45:32 Could chad's firsts will moving faster than the speed of fangs?
00:45:41 To the naked eye, this contest is way too close to call.
00:45:46 And since it's over in a heart beat, to determine the winner, our motion capture technology gives us on inside look.
00:46:01 Chad's hands speed is a product of olympics.
00:46:06 As he throws his fists, chad snaps his shoulder to create momentum that gains velocity as it gets down the arm.
00:46:21 Chad cracks his first at an incredible 30 feet per second.
00:46:26 Amazing lie, that is twice as fast as the snake.
00:46:31 If the snake is faster than a tricked out sports car, chad accelerates faster than a race car.
00:46:45 Faster that a top fuel dragster and even faster than an f-14 fighter jet.
00:46:53 All though chad gave the snake a beatdown, he still got a healthy respect for his rep tillan adversary.
00:47:05 >> He's faster than my opponents.
00:47:08 >> This is something else.
00:47:10 The snake is a one hit wonder.
00:47:13 It will only strike one.
00:47:15 Chad with obliterate with a flurry of punches.
00:47:21 Try to guess how many punches he throws in five seconds.
00:47:31 Our phantom high speed camera reveals that chad threw 26 punches in five seconds.
00:47:42 To put that in perspective, the same amount of time drew brees throws a dart down field, chad dawson unleeches five hammers punches and that kind of speed will leave anyone totally rattled.
00:48:04 >> Told you I was faster than a sna >>> I'M pete McLeod.
00:49:08 [ Murmuring ].
The holy grail
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2011 at 4:01am

but there is absolutely no way a human can react fast enough avoid a striking rattlesnake, which strikes faster than the eye can see.

As a person who has hunted and killed some 40+ poisonous snakes, including rattlesnakes, using only a machete and a brush axe, it can be done, they aren't that fast. The only snakes that bit me were ones I kept as pets.
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2011 at 4:13am

)

I'm talking about the higher end of heavy chop, and I don't need maths, just a lifetimes experience to know that any attempt to lift it with a closed bat ends in the ball being dumped in the net. Infact its one of the most common mistakes of intermediate/lower rated players that they believe heavy chop has to be competed with. Can I ask how you loop float? decrease you bat speed accordingly, or close your bat angle?

if your theory would work... it would never be possible to loop any backspin with closed bat angle independent of the rps.

well I make that common mistake also thinking heavy chops can be competed with.... fortunately i do it successfully just like so many others.

loop float? are you talking about the stroke that beginners and some oddball players do, trying to open the face of racket and brush upwards? ... no i don't have that stroke. while looping, the widest possible angle i use is 90degree (i.e blade face perpendicular to floor) ..but mostly less, with blade facing down, and still coaches shout.... "forward, forward, not upward!!"

i don't understand why you are even thinking this way... because its so evident. see this video os timo boll and joo se hyuk ...is the racket angle closed or open. given then joo's lp is delivering very heavy backspin (originally generated by timo's spinny tenergy loops).

however, i take back the idea of speed required 17m because further refining that.. i think when the ball touches the blade, it initially decelerates a bit due to frictio... losing a significant percentage of its rps..before the blade speed catches up . which should require less speed in hand movement.

Edited by debraj - 04/07/2011 at 4:23am
vid1
Vid 2
mercuur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercuur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2011 at 4:21am
In earlier days there was an attraction at fairs ; the swingmill. Haven,t seen it since long but sitting in a little car that was jointed to a rotating swingmill with a bearing and a rope to the swingmill you had to pull the car close to the swingmill against the outward g-forces. Then when the rope was left loose the car would swing outward and accelerate suddenly and intensively by the g-force reaching a far higher speed for the car as for the main swingmill (that lowers its rotation then by a little allthough that was unnoticable in this case). I regard that as  energy flow ( the main swing looses energy and the car gains) because it is accelleration without direkt use of muscleforce. The energy was deliverd earlier stage by pulling the car to a shorter distance to the swing and it was released with letting the rope go.

This principle is also used by - for instance - a kung fu fighter (with the wristjoint as the bearing and the muscles holding the hand bend backwards as the rope until last moment before contact.) So it,s imposible that arm and hand have a (the same) maximum speed. A kungfu fighter hitting through a pile of stones uses the ame principle to let the energy flow outward to his hand (accellerating gaining energy) but his arm loosing energy allready before contact is made (as it flows outward to the hand). That,s accelleration by - timed -relaxation.
Tabletennisplayers also do this. This accelleraton is taking only a fraction of time compared with accellerating the arm. So to know the speedof the blade t contact it maes a difference what moment of contact you look at. Making contact it is lower and at the end of contact it will be higher...Accellerate through the ball is how chinese coaches refer to this as with chinese rubbers with not much katapult that,s where the katapult (as a sudden accelleration) has to come from...from the player instead of the rubber.

Interesting thing with the kung fu fighter is that this prevents his hand to get hurt also.
The trick is to not have the highest speed for the hand at making contact and do the trick/technicque - accellerating same time as when the contact is made. The resistance of the stone the hand won,t accellerate as easy and as much but the energy will still flow outward to the stone while his arm stops. The stroke has to be short with the accelleration as concentrated as possible and the aim is to generate vibes in the stones in a way that they break. Hitting through with the whole arm wouldimmediatelydampen the generated vibrations (energy) and result in a sour hand and the stones not broken. Not as much power needed for that just skill, relaxation and timing.

A ping pong ball is different because it is much lighter it won,t give the resistance of stones preventing the bat from accelerating suddenly during contact. How concentrated the accelleration is (during contact which is short) is more or just as relevant as "bladespeed on contact". too much of that you don,t even make good contact.

Edited by mercuur - 04/07/2011 at 4:40am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2011 at 5:01am
Originally posted by Jonan Jonan wrote:

but there is absolutely no way a human can react fast enough avoid a striking rattlesnake, which strikes faster than the eye can see.

As a person who has hunted and killed some 40+ poisonous snakes, including rattlesnakes, using only a machete and a brush axe, it can be done, they aren't that fast. The only snakes that bit me were ones I kept as pets.

Jonan,

You the man. I absolutely abhor snakes. But back to the off topic discussion. If you stick your hand in front of a rattlesnake and it strikes, there's no way you can react and pull back fast enough to avoid the bite. Emphasis on react. The snake, however, might miss. There's no doubt that if you strike first, you might beat the snake to the punch, but purely reacting to it, meaning it has to strike first before you take action---no way.

Just in case you can, though, I bet a lot of people will pay money to see it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic