Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hard Rubber More Spin?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2012 at 4:31am
Originally posted by king_pong king_pong wrote:

Originally posted by gatorling gatorling wrote:

This is my take on this entire subject.
The biggest difference between a hard rubber and a soft rubber is dwell time - and that's pretty much it. Don't forget we're comparing hard vs soft, not tacky vs grippy, or tensioned vs non tensioned.

When talking about spin shots like a loop or top spin:
Hard rubber would require a brushing stroke with fast paddle speed. A stroke that drives the ball into the sponge will not work well. The ball will slightly sink into the sponge and then pop out before much spin can be generated. When talking about generating spin you typically want the ball to make NON-SLIPPING contact with the rubber for as long as possible at the highest possible speed.
Since a ball will not sink into a hard rubber a very tacky top sheet is used to prevent the ball from slipping.
The end result is a very linear ball speed - you get what you put into your stroke. The sponge does not engage much so the speed curve looks more like a line and less like a geometric function.

Soft rubber - since the ball can sink deeper into the sponge and stay there for longer you can hit more with your strokes. You are depending on the force of the ball exerted against the rubber + the slight increase of contact area to prevent the ball from slipping. This will make it easier for you to have less perfect technique as you do not have to perfectly brush the ball everytime you want to create spin.

So which has more spin? I would say hard rubbers - I simply think you can really open up and swing much faster and the faster your bat speed the more RPM the ball achieves.

Another noteworth benefit of hard rubbers is that it would be easier to generate spin with pushes. Even with a soft sponge, you try to brush when you push - and in this case the hard rubber would dominate (not to mention that it'll be easier to drop shots with a hard rubber.)

All in all - I think hard rubbers offer much more control and possibly offer more spin than soft rubbers.

But this is all assuming that you are a very high level player and I say that 80% of the players out there should just stick with soft rubbers. If you're just starting out I would recommend Dawei Inspirits - they cost just $12 a top sheet and will be more than sufficient until you reach a 1500-1600 USATT rating level.

All of this is coming from someone who can't handle hard rubbers.
I use 2.0PME FH, 2.0 Inspirit Quattro UL on my BH (planning on switching it so the faster rubber is on my BH).

+1  Couldn't have said it better myself.  That's gospel.  Smile

it would be correct for short pips too?
Sponsored Links

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2012 at 4:57am
By hard rubber you understand hard topsheet or hard sponge?
HowToPlayChineseLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HowToPlayChineseLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2015 at 5:48am
thank you speedplay and roundrobin :)

wanhao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanhao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2015 at 7:09am
Use as hard as one can handle it..its like bowling..use as heavier as one can handle it..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic