FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

recieving the tomahawk serve

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

If watching this video and reading WeiTT article about this had helped me, I would have mastered this years ago:)

Hah! Me too, my friend. Returning a side-topspin tomahawk serve and dropping it so short that it nearly double bounces on the other side of the table is pro level touch.  Probably not recommended for us forum scrubs.

So when you miss these serves, where/how do you usually miss? I find Larry Hodges recommendation of returning these serves down the line rather than crosscourt to be pretty interesting.  I had always dismissed this idea due to the shorter table length, but his argument of the shot being easier by going against the spin makes sense to me.  And I'm pretty sure that I am one of those people that have never missed this serve off the right side of the table in my entire TT career.

Perhaps you could begin your training by having someone give you tomahawk serves and simply taking a bit off your returns and placing them to the wide BH? I think that's how I'm going to begin to address this problem in my own game.

Edited by Ringer84 - 09/25/2015 at 12:43pm
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
Sponsored Links

wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 12:45pm
You know what I do hate? Learning yet another serve is going to make me lose another match.

This is the worst when you lose a close one, even tho you take care of 80% + of your own serves.

It's maddening.

Edited by wilkinru - 09/25/2015 at 12:48pm
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 12:48pm

Originally posted by wilkinru wilkinru wrote:

Just this week I had real trouble with a fast side spin from a leftie going out to my wide forehand.

It wasn't that I couldn't return it - the trouble was trying to return it away from the guy's strong forehand. The variation was all side spin or side + top, so it was moving away from me.

I moved a little more to my forehand side to return serve which wasn't enough still. Next time I'm going to really commit to moving there and make sure I'm brushing the outside of the ball - gotta get to his backhand corner. I think it's just further proof of my struggle to move and hit a good forehand on return of serve.

To the new OP: work on your forehand loop, focus on brush contact and set up a robot to give you side spin.

Thanks. Actually I have the problem of not getting the ball on the table, I am not worried at all about placement or keeping it away from their FH. I also can loop long balls off of almost any other spin-including side spin variants with my FH well for my level. 

I do think if I am going to miss I may as well miss an overly aggressive attack instead of a safe return. At least my opponent may be a little tired of chasing the ball back to the wall if nothing else. 

Without video, the common problems are

1.  You don't have a well trained loop (well, you said this is not the case so...)

2. You are reading the follow through on the serve as back spin and are dropping your racket excessively.  You can also drop your racket excessively when you move to the ball and are late and try to compensate with a larger swing.

3.  You are getting sidespin and backspin variants of the serve and aren't distinguishing between them with your motion.

This is one serve where being able to take one step to the ball and loop is very helpful.  Do not drop your racket beneath the table.  Watch the ball trajectory and if the serve is long, take it late so that the spin can reveal itself.  Where you make contact on the ball is sufficient to get the ball on the table for most sidespin serves.  If's only if the serve has a heavy backspin component that you need to lift it, but those serves usually slow down.  A tight spiral loop with a relatively low finish tends to get the job done.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 12:58pm
VanJr,

Try to carefully watch the bounce trajectory of every serve and then make a mental note of what spin was on that serve after the point is played.  I try to recognize one serve type (which varies by opponent) and if it looks different I know it is the other spin.  For example I might be able to recognize side-top (probably because they serve that most).  Instead of trying to also recognize side-under I just notice that something is different from the other serves (side-top) and assume that is side-under.  Of course if an opponent has great spin control and hits side-top, side, and side-under I still might miss the side versions. 

The other thing that can get you in trouble is being wrong on what spin you assign to a serve based on how your return behaved.  For example you read a serve as side-top and your return goes into the net.  You think," I mis-read the serve it must have been side-under."   Most likely that is not the case.  If it was side-under and you hit it like side-top it should have bounced on the table in front of the net (or maybe hit the very bottom of the net).  Most likely you hit it with a stroke more appropriate for a full top-spin serve or maybe it was almost pure side-spin.  Likewise if you read side-under and the ball goes just long it is not likely that the serve was side-top.  A side-top would go really long (and high) if you hit it with the stroke appropriate for a side-under ball.

Another thing you might try is spinning the ball more even when you read side-top.  I think you have a tendency to loop-kill most long serves instead of just looping them.  You have so much less margin for error with the loop-kill shot so you have to be much better at reading the exact spin on the ball if you expect to land the shot.  I am extrapolating from my matches against you, so this might not be an actual problem in your matches with other players (my serves are not that deceptive so teeing off on them is probably a good idea).

For long serves I always take the initial backswing as if the ball is side-under.  It is a lot easier to raise my arm and close the blade at the last second (if I see it is a side-top) than to already have my arm higher and have to try to lower it before a swing.  I think this also helps me have the mind-set that I can continue reading the spin until the last second rather than having to commit to a particular type stroke early.

Don't feel too bad about missing the serve from the player about 100 points above you.  I have seen several of his matches against 2100-2300 players where they mis-read his serves repeatedly.  Sometimes they end up just shaking their heads after each miss for most of the first game.  They usually catch on after a couple of games and then he is in trouble.

Mark
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

VanJr,

Try to carefully watch the bounce trajectory of every serve and then make a mental note of what spin was on that serve after the point is played.  I try to recognize one serve type (which varies by opponent) and if it looks different I know it is the other spin.  For example I might be able to recognize side-top (probably because they serve that most).  Instead of trying to also recognize side-under I just notice that something is different from the other serves (side-top) and assume that is side-under.  Of course if an opponent has great spin control and hits side-top, side, and side-under I still might miss the side versions. 

The other thing that can get you in trouble is being wrong on what spin you assign to a serve based on how your return behaved.  For example you read a serve as side-top and your return goes into the net.  You think," I mis-read the serve it must have been side-under."   Most likely that is not the case.  If it was side-under and you hit it like side-top it should have bounced on the table in front of the net (or maybe hit the very bottom of the net).  Most likely you hit it with a stroke more appropriate for a full top-spin serve or maybe it was almost pure side-spin.  Likewise if you read side-under and the ball goes just long it is not likely that the serve was side-top.  A side-top would go really long (and high) if you hit it with the stroke appropriate for a side-under ball.

Another thing you might try is spinning the ball more even when you read side-top.  I think you have a tendency to loop-kill most long serves instead of just looping them.  You have so much less margin for error with the loop-kill shot so you have to be much better at reading the exact spin on the ball if you expect to land the shot.  I am extrapolating from my matches against you, so this might not be an actual problem in your matches with other players (my serves are not that deceptive so teeing off on them is probably a good idea).

For long serves I always take the initial backswing as if the ball is side-under.  It is a lot easier to raise my arm and close the blade at the last second (if I see it is a side-top) than to already have my arm higher and have to try to lower it before a swing.  I think this also helps me have the mind-set that I can continue reading the spin until the last second rather than having to commit to a particular type stroke early.

Don't feel too bad about missing the serve from the player about 100 points above you.  I have seen several of his matches against 2100-2300 players where they mis-read his serves repeatedly.  Sometimes they end up just shaking their heads after each miss for most of the first game.  They usually catch on after a couple of games and then he is in trouble.

Mark

The power of videotape.  Thanks, Mark.
Cybershape Carbon
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 2:29pm
BTW, I feel like misreading spin on the ball is relatively rare in this case. To me the key to reading any side-under, side top or side only variation is to recognize is it side under or not. If you read it is side under you return as if it is underspin, otherwise you return it as a topspin serve. The higher rated player serves mostly side under on his first serve and either side only or side light top on the second serve (see i even know his pattern and can't do anything about it). The spin he is hitting is not what confuses me. I am confused about where to hit the ball (where on the ball to hit the ball) with either my FH or my BH. 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 2:31pm

BTW, I feel like misreading spin on the ball is relatively rare in this case. To me the key to reading any side-under, side top or side only variation is to recognize is it side under or not. If you read it is side under you return as if it is underspin, otherwise you return it as a topspin serve. The higher rated player serves mostly side under on his first serve and either side only or side light top on the second serve (see i even know his pattern and can't do anything about it). The spin he is hitting is not what confuses me. I am confused about where to hit the ball (where on the ball to hit the ball) with either my FH or my BH. 

In other words, if I served a backspin or reverse serve to your forehand, you would have no problem dealing with it?  Yet the spin is not the issue?
Cybershape Carbon
vivan4tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivan4tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 2:31pm
I played a player in regional league last saturday, awesome tomahawk serves, almost impossible to see if there was back spin or not inside the serve, and if there was.......the spin was astronomical, very difficult to read it. It was a nightmare. 

Most of time tomahawk serves are long with hardly any backspin in it, it's just a matter of being aggressive. But if this serve is "mastered".......it becomes a awesome weapon, it's really possible to hide very well the spin you're putting in. 
Unfortunately we played in Butterfly tables (those tables don't show well the spin of the ball by changing the trajectory, unlike Joolla/Donic tables which are more "grippy").

I wish I read this earlier : 
"For long serves I always take the initial backswing as if the ball is side-under.  It is a lot easier to raise my arm and close the blade at the last second (if I see it is a side-top) than to already have my arm higher and have to try to lower it before a swing.  I think this also helps me have the mind-set that I can continue reading the spin until the last second rather than having to commit to a particular type stroke early."

Best advice ever ^^

Mizutani sZLC / T05fx / T05fx
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by vivan4tt vivan4tt wrote:

I played a player in regional league last saturday, awesome tomahawk serves, almost impossible to see if there was back spin or not inside the serve, and if there was.......the spin was astronomical, very difficult to read it. It was a nightmare. 

Most of time tomahawk serves are long with hardly any backspin in it, it's just a matter of being aggressive. But if this serve is "mastered".......it becomes a awesome weapon, it's really possible to hide very well the spin you're putting in. 
Unfortunately we played in Butterfly tables (those tables don't show well the spin of the ball by changing the trajectory, unlike Joolla/Donic tables which are more "grippy").

"For long serves I always take the initial backswing as if the ball is side-under.  It is a lot easier to raise my arm and close the blade at the last second (if I see it is a side-top) than to already have my arm higher and have to try to lower it before a swing.  I think this also helps me have the mind-set that I can continue reading the spin until the last second rather than having to commit to a particular type stroke early."

Best advice ever ^^

I don't agree with the advice, but everyone does this differently.  I find that lifting a topspin oriented ball is riskier and that it is relatively easy to drop the paddle once you see that a ball has backspin.  A really fast ball with heavy backspin is relatively difficult to serve so the ball will slow down enough for you to pick it up.

In fact, most serves with "backspin" don't need you to drop the paddle so much as to take a larger backswing.

Edited by NextLevel - 09/25/2015 at 2:36pm
Cybershape Carbon
vivan4tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivan4tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 3:25pm
" A really fast ball with heavy backspin is relatively difficult to serve so the ball will slow down enough for you to pick it up."

On the donic tables of my tt club yes, on the Butterfly tables we played last saturday..........it's a different story. 
Mizutani sZLC / T05fx / T05fx
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

In other words, if I served a backspin or reverse serve to your forehand, you would have no problem dealing with it?  Yet the spin is not the issue?

Reading the spin is not the issue. But the spin, depth and amount of curve is the issue (I think).

If you served a reverse pendulum serve to my FH first it would almost always be short. I would feel more confident moving to my right and returning with my BH. Usually those balls do not move as wide as a tomahawk. I am not saying I would not have a problem with the serve, but I have a very clear idea how i would return it and would be able to make adjustments if I missed it the first time
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 4:50pm

Best advice ever ^^

I don't agree with the advice, but everyone does this differently.  I find that lifting a topspin oriented ball is riskier and that it is relatively easy to drop the paddle once you see that a ball has backspin.  A really fast ball with heavy backspin is relatively difficult to serve so the ball will slow down enough for you to pick it up.

In fact, most serves with "backspin" don't need you to drop the paddle so much as to take a larger backswing.
I'm with NL on this, except maybe his last statement.  The high level coaches that I know, such as Stellan, would recommend keeping your paddle high (like for top spin) while you are uncertain and dropping it only you see that it's underspin.  This is also my own experience, although that's less significant than the advice from coaches.

Underspin balls usually slow up compared to top spin, and they won't jump forward the way top spin does.  So better to be prepared for the faster ball (top spin). Plus, as NL pointed out, it's easier to drop your arm than raise it.

Perhaps one significant take away here is that you focus on one possible spin and only adjust to the other when you see it.  This simplifies decision making compared to trying to get an open mind to both spins.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Best advice ever ^^

I'm with NL on this, except maybe his last statement.  The high level coaches that I know, such as Stellan, would recommend keeping your paddle high (like for top spin) while you are uncertain and dropping it only you see that it's underspin.  This is also my own experience, although that's less significant than the advice from coaches.

Underspin balls usually slow up compared to top spin, and they won't jump forward the way top spin does.  So better to be prepared for the faster ball (top spin). Plus, as NL pointed out, it's easier to drop your arm than raise it.

Perhaps one significant take away here is that you focus on one possible spin and only adjust to the other when you see it.  This simplifies decision making compared to trying to get an open mind to both spins.

For the point you disagree with, ask yourself whether people who banana flick "backspin" over the table drop their paddles.  I am putting backspin in quotes for a reason.
Cybershape Carbon
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 6:29pm
Some years ago, I asked Stellan on how to deal with the tomahawk serve since a friend of mine was absolutely torturing me with it and he hides the spin on it well.

His basic response was to not drop the racket too low on the backswing, since the underspin version of this serve sits up a little and I will have time to get under the ball if need be.  

One interesting thing with this serve is that it looks faster than it really is, so I had a tendency to try to take it too early.  It turned out that taking my time a little and watching the ball carefully paid dividends.  I made it a point to brush the ball and make as little impact as possible with the blade an it helped overpower whatever spin was on the ball.  The contact should be all rubber and no blade.  That makes the return heavy and leaves some of the original sidespin on the ball, so it hops quite a bit.
ILya
< id="hc_extension_off">< id="hc_extension_highcontrast">< id="hc_extension_highcontrast_back">< id="hc_extension_grayscale">< id="hc_extension_grayscale_back">< id="hc_extension_invert">< id="hc_extension_invert_back">< id="hc_extension_invert_grayscale">< id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black">< id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black_back">

Edited by koshkin - 09/25/2015 at 6:30pm
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 11:34pm

Best advice ever ^^

Are you sure about that... Tomahawk serves can certainly have huge amounts of side-under as well as side-top. If you think you can't read it, learn to serve it and you'll know how to read it. 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2015 at 1:20pm
/ =underspin/side
   `=top/side
`=blade angle for top/side
/=blade angle for under /side
Watch the opponents blade angle to determine underspin or topspin,
this is how I vary tomahawk serves between under or top,the underspin one seems more effective

Edited by firetack - 09/26/2015 at 1:22pm
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic