Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Interview with coach and player with Barney Reed!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interview with coach and player with Barney Reed!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interview with coach and player with Barney Reed!!
    Posted: 04/23/2011 at 6:26pm
Interview with coach and player Barney Reed!

Forward:
During spring break this year Barney Reed (USATT 2595 & at one point +2700 pro player) came to town to teach and train at Yang Shigang's table tennis club in ATL and I got lucky enough to have a lesson and even do a small interview with him! I have to say Barney is an amazing individual and I left with a lot of good tips to elevate my game...  Below are the questions and tips I asked him Cool

1) What are the thing's that a beginner should be focused on to set a good foundation for their game?

The answer to this question lies within the question. A good foundation is the key to a limitless future.

2) What point do you think a player should consider adopting a particular style of play?

I recommend as early as possible. As well learning as many different styles to enhance your game.

3) What are some of the things you practice to ready yourself for a tournament?

Being that every point in a tournament starts with a serve and return - start there Smile Playing points, a lot of serve and attack.  

4) When you trained in Asia was there anything that you saw the players focusing more on than other places you've trained? 

Footwork no question. That is the one constant factor I found in china, Taiwan, and Korea.

5) Being a power looper what tips do you have for playing that style?

I'm still striving to master consistency with power Smile

6) Are their any other sports you think are good for cross-training?

Jump rope, soccer, martial arts, Chess

7) Any to stay away from?

Tennis, any sport that u could get crushed Smile

8) Any tips or things to practice that help accelerate the learning curve?

Again that question is self answering...practice!

9) What do you look for in a good training partner?

Someone willing to do work!!

10) Is drilling or playing more important?

Equally important!

11) Where do you see table tennis in America 20 years from now?

As one of the top 5 sports. Pro players being able to make a living playing in leagues! Smile

There you have it guys Clap Great wisdom from one of the best players in America!!! Tongue
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
Sponsored Links

cls2222 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cls2222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2011 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by Thaidog Thaidog wrote:

As one of the top 5 sports. Pro players being able to make a living playing in leagues! Smile

That's the optimism I like Clap
Korbel
Stiga Boost TX   

Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2011 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by cls2222 cls2222 wrote:

Some people don't think it's possible... and 15 years ago I would have thought not too.. but these days I think it's very possible... I think we just need to push the sport and open more places like the SPiN clubs Smile
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

hambim336 View Drop Down

Failed Ad-Bot Software

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hambim336 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2011 at 8:22am
Hi

I read some opinions in this topic. I do not aqree above ideal.We can find out some articles at about.com by Google search

Edited by hambim336 - 10/20/2011 at 8:25am
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2011 at 9:37am
Originally posted by hambim336 hambim336 wrote:

Hi

I read some opinions in this topic. I do not aqree above ideal.We can find out some articles at about.com by Google search

Sorry, but what is it specifically you do not agree about?
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

artakwol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artakwol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2011 at 4:41pm
Do you have any kind of video from your training session? Would be interesting to see it.
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2011 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by artakwol artakwol wrote:

Do you have any kind of video from your training session? Would be interesting to see it.

Unfortunately no... I could make one in the future if he ever comes back though :)
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2011 at 8:10pm

Originally posted by cls2222 cls2222 wrote:

Some people don't think it's possible... and 15 years ago I would have thought not too.. but these days I think it's very possible... I think we just need to push the sport and open more places like the SPiN clubs Smile

I second that. We have new clubs opening, and more exposure from espn and spin ny(hats off to spin for promoting tt). We need to train more Barney Reed's, Wally Green's, and a Latin player. This way, the different ethnicities in America have role models to look up to.   
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2011 at 7:32am
Originally posted by popperlocker popperlocker wrote:

I second that. We have new clubs opening, and more exposure from espn and spin ny(hats off to spin for promoting tt). We need to train more Barney Reed's, Wally Green's, and a Latin player. This way, the different ethnicities in America have role models to look up to.   

I think here in Atlanta we could really use a SPiN club... if I had the money I would open it myself!
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2011 at 11:22am
Originally posted by hambim336 hambim336 wrote:

HiI read some opinions in this topic. I do not aqree above ideal.We can find out some articles at about.com by Google search<!--if gte mso 9>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:PunctuationKerning/>
<w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>
<w:SaveIfInvalid>false</w:SaveIfInvalid>
<w:IgnoreMixed>false</w:IgnoreMixed>
<w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
<w:Compatibility>
   <w:BreakWrappedTables/>
   <w:SnapToGridInCell/>
   <w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
   <w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
   <w:DontGrowAutofit/>
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:Word>
<!--><!--if gte mso 9>
<w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156">
</w:LatentStyles>
<!-->
<!--    Style Definitions    p.Msonormal, li.Msonormal, div.Msonormal   mso-style-parent:"";   margin:0in;   margin-bottom:.0001pt;   mso-pagination:widow-orphan;   font-size:12.0pt;   font-family:"Times New Roman";   mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; @page Section1   size:8.5in 11.0in;   margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;   mso-er-margin:.5in;   mso-footer-margin:.5in;   mso-paper-source:0; div.Section1   page:Section1; -->
<!--if gte mso 10>

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
     {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
     mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
     mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
     mso-style-noshow:yes;
     mso-style-parent:"";
     mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
     mso-para-margin:0in;
     mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
     mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
     font-size:10.0pt;
     font-family:"Times New Roman";
     mso-ansi-language:#0400;
     mso-fareast-language:#0400;
     mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Fail ad-bot is fail.

<!-->
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2011 at 1:23pm
I saw him play many times. The last 2 times were when he almost beat Peter Li at the nationals last year and before that when he almost got the 1st game vs. Fan yiyong in Bremerton (had he had that 1st game it would have been totally different).
Barney has got everything to be a world class player but the structure of TT in USA does not support him as much as it could/should so he has to do everything all by himself and his Dad. That's hard.
The best is yet to come in his game as he is the kind of player who reaches maturity in his late 20s/early 30s. He is going to have a great run soon nationally and internationally. I wonder if it will be this year at the nationals or next year in national and international events.
It's going to be awesome for sure!
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2011 at 2:58pm
I would say that was not very informative. Perhaps Barney simply didn't have time to go into details - but there is nothing remotely specific and/or original and/or interesting there to any player who have spent at least a few months training and getting advice.

Maybe next time you see him you could get him to sit down a bit longer and answer in more details.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2011 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

I would say that was not very informative. Perhaps Barney simply didn't have time to go into details - but there is nothing remotely specific and/or original and/or interesting there to any player who have spent at least a few months training and getting advice.

Maybe next time you see him you could get him to sit down a bit longer and answer in more details.

Taking a page off the Waldner interview.
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2011 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

It was a very short interview... we mostly just hit and then we talked via email afterwards... i hoped to see him at the LA Open but I did not get a chance to go out there... maybe at Cary Cup next year...
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic