FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

New BW II (red sponge)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
PongPong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PongPong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2011 at 11:15am
Originally posted by player87 player87 wrote:

Hi guys! Could you please advice me the hardness for  BW2 red sponge for my FH. I am playing close to the table and always tries to start the attack first with FH loop. So for me it's important the ability to make FH loops close to the table. 

Now I use H3Neo domestic (39 degrees). I find it a bit hard and for it is not that easy to start with the strong loop but Apollo with 39 degrees semms to be fine for me.

Thank you in advance. 
37 degree works great for me.
Sponsored Links

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2011 at 12:04pm
Last week I tried a sheet of BW2 Red Sponge medium for the first time. First impressions are positive the rubber feels like a hybrid between a japanese and chinese rubber. When counterhitting and blocking the rubber has a chinese deadish feel to it including the crack sound. When looping the rubber becomes faster and livelier and spin and kick are amazing. I like the rubber it feels a bit like my Tenergy 25 that I used before. It's a bit sensitive to incoming spin though I have to get used to that more.
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2011 at 7:07am
Concerning about Grip-S Europe/Europe soft.:

I would swear that BW2-RS and new GRIPS by thibar are the same, coz they share soo many similarities:

Same packing: Even the  protective plastic sheet covering the Sponge, it´s very close (same red letters and same pictures).  

Smell is Terrible, even you let to air it during a whole day in a fresh open room. It smells 100% rubber!! However, it´s not tacky AT ALL, it´s got an awesome grip, but surface facing down can´t grab a ball even half a second.

Topsheet it´s alsovery  thin and elastic comparece to Chinese rubbers, and looks pretty quality stuff, specially the black one.

I don´t think that layer on the sponge it´s a factory tune, just a thin coat of latter adhesive to stick it easily on the blade. So you only need to apply glue on the blade, not on the sponge.

I think Thibar made this to avoid >4.00 mm of total thickness....

Spin is insane, i would say the same as T05. Speed is really fast, but still above 05, however control on touch shots its faaar beyond any Tensor (returns, chops, services...) . Ball placement is EXCELLENT on GSE-S, and nice on GSE.

Edited by jonyer1980 - 09/04/2011 at 7:08am
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2012 at 2:39am
coming from thor's what hardness should i get this blue whale red sponge at?

medium or hard?
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2012 at 3:06am
The hardest possible, which means 2.0 Hard.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2012 at 8:16am
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

I don´t think that layer on the sponge it´s a factory tune, just a thin coat of latter adhesive to stick it easily on the blade. So you only need to apply glue on the blade, not on the sponge.

I'm not sure about the glue layer.  I agree that it may not be a tuner, but it may be serving some other purpose.  I've got a black BW2RS here and I accidentally removed the glue layer when switching between blades.  Now the rubber wants to curl up into a tight ball.  It's like the sponge has reverse tension on the topsheet, or it's trying to shrink.  It didn't do that with the glue layer on, so maybe the glue helps to stabilise the whole thing.

It plays awfully now, by the way.  I'm throwing it away.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2012 at 8:35am
Andy, if you remove that thick later of glue and want the rubber to play the same with new glue. You need to put on a lot of coats, with Haifu glue because it's so thin you need 6, 8 even ten coats and that's not easy to do without making a mistake somewhere along the line, if you do get it right then it will look and play just like the factory glue. Latex glue when made into a ball bounces like a superball so it's not hard to imagine it changes how a rubber feels having that in a thick layer under the sponge
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2012 at 8:46am
Yeah, messed it up.  Will be an excuse to try something different! :-)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2012 at 8:57am
If you want to know an unrelated but odd story, last night I left a blade with new sheet of Mercury 2 under a blade with Hexer on it, both rubbers facing each other and in the morning the Hexer top sheet had expanded so much that the part that was outside the Mercury 2 was visibly much lower than the rest of the rubber!. VOC madness!, hopefully it goes flat again soon. The Moral of the story is those Galaxy rubbers must be juiced up with something and don't try and pass a VOC test with one
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2012 at 9:24am
There are a lot of strange chemicals knocking around in rubbers these days.  Just opening the packet of a new Chinese rubber is an adventure into an unknown land of stink.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2012 at 9:26am
I think I'm still having strange dreams after using Haifu's water based glue a week ago :s if it's any better for you than rubber cement it can't be much lol, one of the most dodgy things I've ever smelt
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2012 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

If you want to know an unrelated but odd story, last night I left a blade with new sheet of Mercury 2 under a blade with Hexer on it, both rubbers facing each other and in the morning the Hexer top sheet had expanded so much that the part that was outside the Mercury 2 was visibly much lower than the rest of the rubber!. VOC madness!, hopefully it goes flat again soon. The Moral of the story is those Galaxy rubbers must be juiced up with something and don't try and pass a VOC test with one

Mercury 2 plays really friggin fast the first couple hours after gluing, gotta have some voc in there.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
mswishe4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mswishe4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2012 at 1:44pm
Would this Blue Whale Red Sponge be suitable on the backhand that consists of loops and topspin play?
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2012 at 2:19pm
bwII red or black sponge is pretty similar to h3 neo.
if you like h3 neo on bh you could like it, otherwise I doubt it.

Originally posted by mswishe4 mswishe4 wrote:

Would this Blue Whale Red Sponge be suitable on the backhand that consists of loops and topspin play?
mswishe4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mswishe4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2012 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by sa01 sa01 wrote:

I have not played with H3 neo. I ordered the Shark Speed II RS, but they sent me the BW II RS instead. I was thinking about using it on the backhand if it would be suitable. Anything like the Shark Speed?
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2012 at 2:53pm

Originally posted by sa01 sa01 wrote:

I have not played with H3 neo. I ordered the Shark Speed II RS, but they sent me the BW II RS instead. I was thinking about using it on the backhand if it would be suitable. Anything like the Shark Speed?

they are different.
bwII rs is typical chinese rubber.
a little faster and livelier but still chinese style rubber.
shark is more european style.
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2012 at 3:36pm
tuning seems to only last 1 month

ball doesnt grip as well as it used to when it was fresh
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2012 at 4:05pm

It will perfectly serve your purpose.
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2012 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by mon22 mon22 wrote:

tuning seems to only last 1 month

ball doesnt grip as well as it used to when it was fresh

How would you compare Blue Whale 2 to Thor's?
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
mswishe4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mswishe4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2012 at 7:37pm
@sa01- Thank you for the info. 

@lmago- Thank you for the info.
stefashka View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefashka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2012 at 5:47am
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

How would you compare Blue Whale 2 to Thor's?

Thor's topsheet is a bit harder and more tacky than BW2's. My BW2 has a medium hardness sponge, so it won't be right to compare it with Thor's which sponge is hard. I just suspect that hard sponged BW2 is actually quite close to Thors but with less tackiness.
Darker 7P-2A CP - Dignics 09c, TSP Curl P3α
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2012 at 3:41pm
thor's = tensor (think of acuda, hexer)
bwII red sponge = chinese (think of h3neo)
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2012 at 6:49pm
I tried this BW2 rubber in medium red sponge. It is really good. More similar to TG3 than H3 though. H3 still has more spin, but requires tuning for my game. Or rather, once the tuning wears off, H3 plays like a block of cheese.

Whereas, BW2 red sponge is still fast after tuning wears off. In fact, I didn't really notice much difference. It plays well forever, until the topsheet gets really damaged.

I wish they could combine the H3 topsheet onto a Haifu red sponge, so I can put away the tuner forever.
Nittaku Resound
FH: Joola Timeless
BH: Joola Timeless
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2012 at 8:58am
At last i could try it a spare black sheet of  BW RS and compare it with my current GripS europe.  Many people claimed GRIPS Europe was just a relabelled version of BW RS but in fact, it´s NOT THE SAME.

Sponge is dark orange on BW2, however it´s blood colour on GRIPS-E. Topsheet are DIFFERENT!!! Grips feels more CHINESE, much more tacky and slower. BW2 RS has got less tack, smooth surface but maybe faster.

ON the other hand, red version are on par GRIPS&BW2-RS, feels identical on 97% to me.

Edited by jonyer1980 - 09/16/2012 at 9:00am
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
DeIgado View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeIgado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2012 at 1:25pm
So I got myself a sheet of upgraded bw2 39 degree in black and I figured I would add my two cents here. I played with tenergy for a while then switched to thor's and h3/tg3. Overall I found that tg3 was the best rubber for me. My issue with thor's was the lack of spin for a powerful rubber. I found that tg3 boosted has the same amount of power with all the spin you could possibly want. As for bw2, I am very disappointed. 

Power
bw2 is slower than thor's and slower than boosted h3/tg3, however, it is faster than non-boosted tg3/h3.
bw2<thor's,h3,tg3

Spin
More spin than thor's however significantly less spin than h3/tg3.

Control
I pair control with spin. It does not react to spin as well as other rubbers which was quite frustrating for me. H3/tg3 still win. 

Overall I would pass on this rubber. It doesn't do anything as well as hurricane or skyline so if you are going to play with chinese rubbers you might as well skip past bw2.

Viscaria 86g T05 T05-fx
2059 and rising
Hozze View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2012 at 4:35pm
Can't quite agree with Delgado, although we might be comparing apples and oranges to a degree.

I've used all of the Hurricane and Skyline-series quite extensively (NEO, non-boosted though) before switching to a 37 degree BW2 a couple of months ago (the national version, this obviously could also affect the comparison).

I find it considerably faster than the DHS-rubbers. It's not as tacky, so you do loose a little spin and bite in the short game, I agree with that. However, I find it is less sensitive to incoming spin, which I feel makes up for it.

For me, I'd sum it up with the BW2 being better away from the table, while not quite as good in the attacking game very close to the table. For my game this works well, I can still hold my own up close but can press my opponent harder at mid-long distance rallies.

It's all subjective to your game of course and will depend on your blade as well.

Oh, one thing I find horribly annoying: The tuning/glue layer will come off if you remove the rubber from the blade, so forget about regluing to another blade with the same performance. I've tried it with 2 rubbers with different water based glues, and it's just impossible to keep it attached to the rubber.

DeIgado View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeIgado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2012 at 6:20pm
Well, it is much faster than a non-boosted h3/tg3. But if you boost tg3/h3 it is significantly better than bw2. I actually found thor's to be faster than bw2 with the same spin. If I couldn't boost a rubber I would probably use t05 or thor's. Otherwise, tg3 all day.
Viscaria 86g T05 T05-fx
2059 and rising
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
  Share Topic