Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need advice about rubber for RETURNBOARD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need advice about rubber for RETURNBOARD
    Posted: 05/01/2011 at 9:33pm
So I made my return boards, and I am getting my Joola World Cup S table Wednesday. I still don't have rubber for the return boards though, and I can use some advice, as my rating is around 1400 only and dont have expertise.

I will need to buy around 20 pieces of rubber, so it has to be some very cheap sheet, preferably less than 5 bucks a piece before shipping.

I have never used those rubbers though. And I have never had a returnboard and don't know what kind of rubber it needs. I used 1" plywood, that has a very good bounce. I sealed it with polyorethane today, i hope that doesnt change the bounce.

I buy stuff from ppntt.com usually, and saw cheap rubbers there, but they are so many, i couldn't make my choice. And I can't order 1 of them and wait 1 month to get it, and then order again and wait another month.

I can buy from ebay too, though, so if u can recommend any from there - please do so.

I have people in the club that use pips. I have 2 stands for return boards, and i can swap the boards on them rather easy. I want to make a small board with pips too, to practice for the pips opponents too. I have never seen anyone do that, but i cant think why not. So if you can recommend cheap pips rubber as well I will appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Sponsored Links

assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2011 at 9:35pm
I promise to post pics and utube video when it's all done.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
patrick1v View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick1v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2011 at 10:14pm
http://www.eacheng.net/index.php?act=detail&ID=2831
http://www.eacheng.net/index.php?act=detail&ID=1693

Edited by patrick1v - 05/01/2011 at 10:15pm
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2011 at 11:02pm
First time I see this site.

Prices look good, but shipping is rather high, so u end up w same prices like ttnpp.

The 24 pack costs %45, but takes 50 to ship.. : (

Anyway, did you just pick the cheapest rubber available? Does it matter what you put on the returnboard?
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2011 at 7:56pm
bump.

Does anyone here have any experience with returnboards?

Any advice you can share?

How does it compare to a robot? 
gatz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2011 at 8:20pm
pm cole_ely he can help you with cheap rubbers and pm peds he made himself a returnboard.
Blade: ZJ SZLC, Garayda 5000 Matador Texa
Rubbers: FH::Symmetry SP BH: Tenergy Hard, FH: MoristoSP ax BH: Tenergy Hard,FH:Desperado 2 BH: Omega 7 Asia   
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2011 at 8:21pm
not sure how it plays on your return board, but this is one of the cheapest and at the same time one of the best long pips available for spin reversal and slowing down the speed of a fast ball.
I suggest the red 0.6mm sponge
http://ttnpp.com/shop/palio-ck531a-long-pimple-p-205.html?zenid=5fh6e5pjbk9fppgio99vg5t3k2
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 12:57am
You can order Kokutaku 868 from ebay. It is $39 shipped. Only ask for the orange sponge to get rectangular sheets.

If you need smaller sponge, select here

On my returnboard I have put 12 Corbor sheets. Serving almost two years now.

assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2011 at 3:58am
Some advice for return board makers after a few months of personal experience. 

Tacky rubber is not a good choice. Grippy is better and here is why. Tacky rubber provides too strong of a feedback. If your shot is perfectly straight it will fly away from the smallest amount of side spin, or extra top spin. It is hard to keep long rallies. Both of my boards had tacky rubber and a few months later they actually perform MUCH better, after they lost their tack. That is a good thing, because you can use the same set of rubbers for a long time. 

Also, 1-inch plywood is too fast. Thinner is better. Even with slow Chinese rubber my 1 inch boards return the ball virtually without any loss of power. The problem with that is you can't practice strong loops, because on the rebound the ball flies off the table. Now I have to make softer loops when I practice, much softer than during normal game. 

If I could go back I would get some Yasaka ZAP or Palio CJ 8000 which are slow and not as tacky. I would also go with a 1/2 inch board, so I can practice real loops. Get a ball when you go to home depot to buy plywood, place several of then on the floor, and bounce the ball off them, and get the slowest you can find, but careful not to have too much vibration. Also, forgot to say, that even when I don't clean my dusty old rubber on the RB, there is still plenty of feedback to side spin, so don't worry about getting rubber that is too non tacky.
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2011 at 9:35am
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

Tacky rubber provides too strong of a feedback. If your shot is perfectly straight it will fly away from the smallest amount of side spin, or extra top spin.

Unfortunately, they are very much sensitive to incoming spin. You can adjust the return board to not be parallel to the endline in order to make up for the reactive spin.
apex600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apex600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2016 at 7:11am
I wanted to share my own quest to make a returnboard as well. My main goal was to get feedback of my services though I am curious if a returnboard would be good to practice continuous looping off block or combination of service, loop and smash. I should tell you that I also own a robot Robopong 2050 (not a bad robot at all but it can’t do all like combining back and topspin in 1 excersice)

I‘ ve looked into the many solutions and home made boards and realized that what I need is a mobile version that is not on the table but can be placed above if needed.
Instead of starting to build something, I realized there might be existing stuff that can be used for this and can be bought 2nd hand for much lower price than a completely new home made board with hinges etc…
I found a smaller size mobile school blackboard of 120cm wide, 90cm high for 15€.

Advantages: The board angle is adjustable, the board height is adjustable, it’s magnetic, you can write on it, it can be placed in various positions above of behind the table and storage room is rather low.
Disadvantages: thickness is 17mm and the speed is somewhat the same as a TT-table so much faster than for instance a BTY Primorac without rubbers. I fear this might be too fast. Dropping a ball from the same height on the table, the board and the primorac gave a result of +/- 20, 20 and 10 ball bounces. I might have to replace the board itself by a thinner wooden version after testing it with rubbers. Of I might mount a thinner board on top of the schoolboard with some spacers in between.

This brings me to the question which rubbers are suited best. I read it’s best that the board isn’t too fast but the cheap rubbers on the internet might be too fast or might be too sensitive to incoming spin?

Some pictures:

Edited by apex600 - 09/29/2016 at 7:23am
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2016 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

You can order Kokutaku 868 from ebay. It is $39 shipped. Only ask for the orange sponge to get rectangular sheets.

If you need smaller sponge, select here

On my returnboard I have put 12 Corbor sheets. Serving almost two years now.

x2 
If op can read Chinese, he can get the cheap training rubbers from taobao. If not, ebay is the right choice.
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
manallackst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manallackst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2018 at 10:28pm
@assiduos, can you share pics of your return board? Regards
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2018 at 11:27pm
I sell overweight or cosmetically damaged rubbers for return boards for 2 or $3.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2018 at 10:33am
I would go with ttnpp.com and order this rubber for 3.50 a sheet Kokutaku 868 Training

Return boards are overall much better for practicing footwork and also improving topspin... You will be able to play much more in the RHYTHM with returnboard as you see the ball 100% of the time where as robots are not always consistent and also the ball is invisible when being fed, it jams etc...
Best of luck on your project.
rhouse View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2018 at 11:07am
Chiming in with some of our experience (after several years building commercial rebound/return boards www.wallyrebounder.com) and some of our advice if you go the DIY route for building your own boards...

The advice above about using rubber with good grip but not to much tack is good advice.  Super tacky rubber can be problematic in terms of spin but also affects the speed and power of the returns .  Med/Fast rubbers with fairly thick sponge are generally better.  The rebound board acts largely like a blocking partner, and of course your own stroke generates the power for the return you will receive.  Med/Fast rubber is generally more efficient at this and lets you adjust your playing speed to match.

You can build a real simple one that sits on the table but they can be kind of limited.  Having one that you can move to different distances behind the table open up a lot more options especially as you advance and want to practice looping and stronger forehand drives.  And of course you need some mechanism to control the tilt of the board.  Please be sure what you build is stable and doesn't tip over easily!

Finally, high density boards make a noticeable difference vs. standard plywood.  For example, using hardboard with a stiffener or high density European Baltic Birch.

Hope these tips help.  If you have any questions about rebound/return boards, feel free to PM me.
Co-owner www.wallyrebounder.com (return board training equipment)
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2018 at 4:14pm
Remember this will be out in the open unless you have a plastic sheet or something. I doubt it will be that tacky very long regardless.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic