Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Palatinus OSP Expert ALL+ Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Yason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2011 at 12:27pm
Can somebody compare Nexy Color with OSP Expert in terms of control and speed?

Thanks!!
Nexy Color, Palio Blitz(FH), TSP Triple Spin Chop (BH)
Sponsored Links

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2011 at 12:39pm
Yason,  I will soon have the Test Expert to compare with the Test Color I am trying now.  Both are ST handles.   I will let you know later when I get the Expert and have a few hits with it. 

In the mean time, I'm sure several others here can answer your question now. 

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2011 at 3:02pm
OK.....I have the Expert now that mmerkle sent in the mail to me.  Thumbs Up    I will glue up some rubbers and have a test hit Sunday morning with a friend.  I will be using Rakza 7 Soft max on both sides for first test rubbers.  More soon.......

bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2011 at 3:12pm
Good luck!
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2011 at 5:20pm
couple of days ago I have placed an order for a virtuoso st sq and I didn't get any reply from ospblades. Something wrong?
Nittaku Tenaly Acoustic Inner Carbon
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2011 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by TSuBaSa TSuBaSa wrote:

couple of days ago I have placed an order for a virtuoso st sq and I didn't get any reply from ospblades. Something wrong?

They maybe backed up and too busy because they were on vacation.   Give them some time I would think all is ok.

zzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2011 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by TSuBaSa TSuBaSa wrote:

Usually you'll get an answer within a day. Last Sunday I've ordered an Expert and the order confirmation came within an hour.
Virtuoso+ :: Mark V :: Mark V
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2011 at 11:02pm
My email came within a day or two also. But not everyone that works their own business like to work or answer emails everyday since that is the whole point of doing things yourself in your own time. They will get back to you in a couple days I'm sure. If not then email again :).

zzz, good to see you ordered a Expert! you'll have to let me know how you feel about it compared to the Virtuoso
zzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2011 at 9:31am
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

zzz, good to see you ordered a Expert! you'll have to let me know how you feel about it compared to the Virtuoso

Could not resist any longer. Wink  I'm very curious to compare.
Yason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2011 at 3:14pm
Very interesting...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2011 at 2:18pm
Rich215, how are you doing with the expert?
Antispinner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antispinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2011 at 2:26pm
HI ZZZ I see you are from Germany, a friend who was there bought a unusual anti rubber called Tibhar ELLEN Anti Defensive. Could you please check how I make a purchased of this particular rubber from a TT shop in Germany thanks.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2011 at 2:34pm
OK,  I got to have a hit with it last night with my normal training partner for about 1.5 hours or so.  I used Razka 7 soft max on both sides for this first test. 

Initial impression was that it looped very well with medium to higher swing speeds.  Pushes were very spiny, but I had a hard time keeping them short.  Slow or more passive blocks/loops were hard to control.  They usually had too much throw angle height and tending to go long or not have much arc. But when you engage the ball with more speed and power, the arc was nice.  It feels a little springy in this situation as the head feels very large with the ST SQ handle.  (makes me wonder what it would feel like with a M size or S size head). 

While practice hitting/looping back and forth, it fees awesome.  It does feel thin and whippy at times, but feel and control are very high.  It feels like it has so much more touch and crispness than any other blade I have tried as many have mentioned.  I must admit....after the first 40 mins of use, I wondered what the Virtuoso is like and thus deepened my desire to try the Virtuoso! 

I will be testing the blade next with Rakza 7 regular 2.0mm on wed night at my club.  I will get to play several different people and have a better gauge on it with this rubber.  Maybe the soft version of Rakza did not fit well with this blade?   I shall find out the difference soon. 

With the seemingly large feeling head on this blade and how thin it is.....I may like the AN handle better I feel on this blade.  So if I order a Virtuoso, I will get the M size head with either AN or ST handle.  I would like the handle on this Expert to be wider and thicker because of the head size.  It feels so head heavy because of the ST sq handle on it. 

More soon......

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2011 at 2:58pm
It's mostly the touch and control, being able to put the ball anywhere you feel like you want it to go in your imagination that I like. Also the feel when you strike the ball, everything else about the throw and things like this are adjustable with rubber. The FL handle is a little unusual feeling compared to most commercial blades but since the blade feels so good I just say... well if that handle helps the blade work like this? then it must be a good thing. 

I'll look forward to how it goes with the normal Rakza and how you do playing matches with it Thumbs Up
Yason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2011 at 2:48am
Hi,
How it was in comparing to Color?

Thanks,
albert19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albert19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2011 at 3:52am
Hi

Osp Expert have a high throw angle or low throw angle?

I tested Virtuoso and for me have a high Throw angle but I don´t tested Expert.

Thank´s
zzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2011 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Antispinner Antispinner wrote:

HI ZZZ I see you are from Germany, a friend who was there bought a unusual anti rubber called Tibhar ELLEN Anti Defensive. Could you please check how I make a purchased of this particular rubber from a TT shop in Germany thanks.

http://www.spinfactory.de/shop/tibhar-ellen-c-21_108_1268.html
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2011 at 10:30am
Yason..... The Nexy Color feels dead in comparison while the Expert feels alive and energetic but not too fast. Sometimes the Expert feels like ALL+ and sometimes OFF-.  Color is better balanced and lower throw, while the Expert with the SQ ST handle feels head heavy.  Expert loops very well, Color does not loop good at all for me.  I would easily pick the Expert over the Color. 

albert19....The Expert seems to have a higher throw than I expected with the soft Rakza 7.  I now have the regular Rakza 7 on it and will hit with it against many different people tomorrow and will let you all know what I have experienced with the firmer sponge on it. 

zzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2011 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

I would like the handle on this Expert to be wider and thicker because of the head size.  It feels so head heavy because of the ST sq handle on it.

Maybe Elcon handle would fit. My preferred OSP handle. But yet not tried with Expert, so not sure.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2011 at 10:40am
zzz  After I used the Expert SQ.ST. for the first 30 mins....I was thinking just that!   If I choose this blade to buy I will get the AN handle for sure.  If I get a Virtuoso M, I would like the SQ.ST handle and request it to be at least 2mm wider side to side though. 

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2011 at 10:45am
If your experience is like mine at all, you'll like the firmer rubber on it; I think it brings out the blade dynamics better.

I really liked 39 degree 2.1mm H3 on the FH of the Expert and was pleased with the relatively firm 1.8mm Mambo H on the BH.

With both of those rubbers, it was easy to make surgically precise short serves and drop shots, followed by spinny and safe openers or fast attacks.

Something about firmer rubber seems to make engaging the Expert's heavier spin and speed gears a more smooth transition.

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
zzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2011 at 10:54am

If I get a Virtuoso M, I would like the SQ.ST handle and request it to be at least 2mm wider side to side though. 

I saw at OSP blade order form that Palatinus offers a custom handle for just 8€ extra (is it new? I have not noticed before). So everybody should find his perfect handle if he knows what he wants.
Yason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2011 at 1:13pm

Yason..... The Nexy Color feels dead in comparison while the Expert feels alive and energetic but not too fast. Sometimes the Expert feels like ALL+ and sometimes OFF-.  Color is better balanced and lower throw, while the Expert with the SQ ST handle feels head heavy.  Expert loops very well, Color does not loop good at all for me.  I would easily pick the Expert over the Color. 

Thanks for the answer. I have ordered Expert yesterday, so I will soon compare them myself :-)
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2011 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by zzz zzz wrote:

I saw at OSP blade order form that Palatinus offers a custom handle for just 8€ extra (is it new? I have not noticed before).

Not new. It has been an option at least since last year.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
zzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2011 at 10:33am
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

Originally posted by zzz zzz wrote:

I saw at OSP blade order form that Palatinus offers a custom handle for just 8€ extra (is it new? I have not noticed before).

Not new. It has been an option at least since last year.

Oh, must have overlooked it. Confused
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2011 at 1:39pm
Ok, quick update after using the Expert with Rakza 7 reg. 2.0mm at my club playing several people. 

I probably played better than any other time with this setup!  But, a couple problems I had with a few shots were that of balls going long on some pushes and slower loops/hits.  The blade def. has a higher throw compared to everything I have used prior.  It is controllable when looping though.  When you loop with medium to higher power, the arc is very huge and the ball drops quickly at the end of the arc.  This caused several of my opponents to misjudge several shots as they thought the ball was going long but then hit the end of the table. 

My regular practice partner said when I used this setup, my shots had tons of spin and jump off the bounce compared to a couple other setups I normally use.  I could generate tons of backspin on my pushes and a few other under spin shots. Service was very good as well in all regards for me.  Hitting back off the table was incredibly fun and enjoyable!  This setup also blocks very well too.  I managed to place many more blocks and lobs on the table I would not normally have accomplished with my other setups.  One of my tougher opponents whom is about 500 pts above me....commented on how much better I played with the Expert. 

OK,  with that said......I think I will order a Virtuoso because of the throw height of the Expert and also because I do not like the large head on the Expert. I would think I can get more control with the Virtuoso than the Expert because of the flex and "whip" action the Expert has?  I definitely do not need or want anything faster at all.....Expert felt ALL+ to OFF- like has been said many times.  With the SQ/ST handle.....I just did not feel I had good control over the blade at times.  I will order a AN handle and probably a M size Virtuoso.  The handle on this Expert is just to skinny for the head size to me. 

The OSP Expert has so much feel and life to it!!!   It is like playing with a blade that is ALIVE!  what a great feeling structure of wood.  I hope the Virtuoso will have the same feel, just more linear and lower throw as some have mentioned. 

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2011 at 1:44pm
Oh, also I will let one of the better players at my club try the Expert next wed.  He normally uses a Timo Boll alc i think with Calibra rubbers.  He had used that blade with Tenergy 05 on both sides but switched to the Calibra. 

He just got a Blades by Charlie 7ply blade, 9-10-9 i believe.  Beautiful blade for sure.  But he did not like it much.  He said it did not have a good range of gears and only felt like it had middle end gears that were sort of dead feeling with his Calibra rubbers.  He did not have good control with it he said.  He likes to brush loop heavily and has excellent footwork and shot selection.  He also has very good serves.  He is about 1700-1800 level.  I have a feeling he is going to love the Expert with Rakza 7 2.0 on it!   I will report back his opinions after he tests the setup too. 

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2011 at 2:07pm
the virtuoso is the blade you seek! same alive wood, more medium throw, more linear.

and the weight balance should be more neutral.

the expert, like the avalox p500 is simply not suited to most novice to low intermediate players and seems a better fit for the upper intermediate crowd.

I suppose the virtuoso is easier to manage because of less whip effect.

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2011 at 3:09pm
That's great news Rich! I felt similarly, it's really a blade that can improve your play and rating just about instantly when you pick it up. It's the only time I've felt like that about a blade. 

I didn't have any problem with the high throw of the Expert but I did notice it, the FL handle feels a little odd because it's lower on the blade than usual but it's a good size. For me the best thing about the blade is the slowness on touch shots and the fast speed of the whip when it flexes. All the guys I know with one prefer the expert and decided the virtuoso was just a little too fast. But they are all over US2000 so maybe there's something in that theory. I might try a virtuoso myself one day but I would try the large head version because the whip and change up in speed when I want it is a good thing for me. Icontek is your virtuoso the medium head? or large head?

When you order take a good look at the size in mm of all the handles, you can also get your custom one a little wider or different shape if that's what you need. It does sound like your friend will like it if he likes a more dynamic blade with lots of range
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2011 at 4:28pm
I would love to get on the wait list to review/try this blade for hardbat play.  There has been some info that hardbat players may like this blade and I'd like to see if there might be some truth to that and see how this blade compares to some of the classic and modern blades I have. I play hardbat full time and have tried a lot of blades, so I hope my input will be useful.  Of course my main objective is simply curiosity.

Edited by wturber - 08/11/2011 at 4:29pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic