FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Palatinus OSP Expert ALL+ Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Palatinus OSP Expert ALL+ Review
    Posted: 05/06/2011 at 12:04am
DISCLAIMER:
I am a very satisfied OSP Virtuoso user. July will be the 1 year mark with the blade. After buying more than 30 blades in a 10 year span, I can't seem to EJ my way away from it.

But several weeks ago, I was lucky enough to receive an Expert to review.

It's an ALL+ looping blade, and having owned several blades in that category and having spent a year or two with the Avalox BT550 (a similar design) as my primary blade , I was curious to see what Palatinus brought to the table for a thinner 5 ply looping blade.

SPECS:

The blade I received was as follows:
5.42mm thickness (flexes with a big pop)
89.2g weight (feels lighter due to neutral balance)
160 x 151 (longer than average head)
Square Straight handle (medium thickness, on the thinner side)

Since then, I've had a chance to try it at several practices as well as in for fun matches. Knowing my own technique limitations, I've also allowed several, much more accomplished loopers (US1600 and US1700) to try it. It's a looping blade, so why not, right? I figured that it made more sense for me to block against it (because I am used to blocking their loops with their normal gear). This first draft of the review reflects my first week with it.

1st take
Hurricane 3 Neo 2.1 FH, Mambo H 1.8mm BH
-The short game and passive play and excellent feedback of the Virtuoso design are there. The blade makes placement on softer balls very easy. Pushing, blocking short, all very comfortable. Feels like an ALL blade.

-As expected, it's easier to produce consistent, point winning topspin from both sides. Doing FH/FH and BH/BH topspin drills with this blade was a treat, as it balances very good control with a huge selection of gears.

-But mid distance topspins are where this blade excels. On bigger strokes there is a strong sense that the blade "loads up" before kicking the ball out. Unlike the Avalox BT550 however, which seems to get a bit squirrely when flat hitting any further than the mid-table powerzone, the Expert seems to maintain a solid feel and is more predictable. And speed at mid distance feels more like an OFF- blade than ALL+.

After spending an hour playing matches with it, I let a US1600 looper/fisher/lobber/allrounder (who normally uses a Stiga Allround with Juic Scramble, a Mark V clone) try it. He mixes brush loops with drives, and I noticed that his loopdrives were more powerful and packed significantly more "wallop". The topspin dive after the bounce was much, much more pronounced. And I was more likely to make errors blocking. The middle gear (somewhere between a drive and a brush) was what scared me though; his consistency and placement skyrocketed, while maintaining a good deal of the power of the drives. As might be expected, his brush loops were similar in spin to what he produces with his normal setup. Spinny, but not fast. He wanted the blade after just a few minutes of it. But this one is not for sale :)

UPDATE:

2nd take (blade in the hands of a US1700+ 2 winged looper)
This player usually uses a DONIC Epox OFF with Vario, a fairly stiff blade with softer rubbers.
He plays 5-10 feet off the table, loops and counterloops from both wings and plays a control game.
I put a set of Banda Rossa Soft 2.0mm on it.

Comments were as follows:
"As I long as I was aggressive, I controlled the point"
"Attacking and counterattacking were good, plenty of power from mid distance"

He didn't like the blade/combo for defense/passive play. Being used to a stiffer setup, the flex of the blade+soft rubbers caused consistency problems.

Recap:

If you like flexible 5 plies with limba outers, and want to be able to attack from mid distance, this is a very good blade. If you are used to stiff or hard feeling blades over the table, your control will suffer.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Sponsored Links

Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 1:48pm
I'll be interested to see what the two winged looper thinks of the blade.
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 2:31pm
Icontek, now you see why I switched to this blade?

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2011 at 10:39am
Updated OP-

Who is the next tester and I will send it on?
Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2011 at 10:51am
89.2g weight (feels lighter due to neutral balance)

That was a significant comment. I have tried several 'small-maker' blades over the years. Balance is what lets down the inexperienced guys.

Edited by Tinykin_2 - 06/05/2011 at 10:54am
Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V
zzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2011 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Tinykin_2 Tinykin_2 wrote:

89.2g weight (feels lighter due to neutral balance)

That was a significant comment. I have tried several 'small-maker' blades over the years. Balance is what lets down the inexperienced guys.

The datasheet says [balance: head] Ermm
Virtuoso+ :: Mark V :: Mark V
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2011 at 6:20pm
Otoh, balance is relative and also depends on the rubbers used for the test and the blades one is used to...
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomas.gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2011 at 3:12am

Expert with T05 both sides: quite flexible, but not so much. I would rate is as off- blade with control of all+ blades. At the table, I felt it might go too far, but it never did. For allround and control offensive game, it acts predictible and nicely accelerates the ball. Good for every stroke.

Feel is little bit harder(not soft), light vibration, but nothing crazy like stiga OC series have. Much much better then stiga blades (OC, AC) in all aspects, esp. feeling is soo much better. I found T05 quite hard for the expert, but still playable.
Larger head makes Expert look massive.

for me, OSP blades have the most amazing feel among all wooden blades. Too bad that thin blades does not suit my FH style.
Kokutaku Bishu no.1 ST - H3N red , BTfly Spinart 2.1 black
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2011 at 4:01am
Less vibration but better feel? Can you explain it? Because I hate tbs- alc kind of stuff because there is no vibration and I cant feel the ball. With Exert there is less vibration but more feeling?
Nittaku Tenaly Acoustic Inner Carbon
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

zzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2011 at 4:59am
OhOh, Shocked
I've just ordered my second Virtuoso for some rubber testings. Very satisfied with it. But after all the comments about Expert I'm highly tempted to try it out. Confused

Originally posted by TSuBaSa TSuBaSa wrote:

Less vibration but better feel? Can you explain it? Because I hate tbs- alc kind of stuff because there is no vibration and I cant feel the ball. With Exert there is less vibration but more feeling?

I know what he means. There are good vibrations and bad. I've played blades with very unpleasant vibrations. They were very disturbing and gave false information about the ball to the hand.

You can imho not compare hard and stiff blades like ALC with flexible blades like Expert. Stiff blades do not vibrate as flexible blades. It is high craftmanship to eliminate the unpleasant vibrations and
emphasize the good vibrations from a flexible blade.
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2011 at 5:12am
Well I'm playing with oc cr and there is no "bad" vibrations at all. I can feel the ball very well. I just wanted to understand why expert is so much better than oc series.
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

barnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2011 at 5:18am
From my experience If you play more on the table, the smaller headed Expert plays better. I have 2 Experts, sanded them to 157 x 150 and 158 x 150 and for me it improves noticeably. Stiffer and less head heavy. I play on the table and smaller head size suits me better.
Yasaka Silver All Wood, ST
FH - Rhyzm max
BH - Tenergy 05 max
zzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2011 at 5:24am

I just wanted to understand why expert is so much better than oc series.

Hmm, I think it's hard to describe. I have not played Expert, too. But I know why the Virtuoso is much better than other woods, for me. But it can be only experienced.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2011 at 9:04am
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

Otoh, balance is relative and also depends on the rubbers used for the test and the blades one is used to...

Clearly the Expert was designed for rubbers like T05, but also pairs amazingly well with Hurricanes - the balance of the blade with heavy rubbers is still head heavy, but not overwhelmingly so. With light rubbers, it is more neutral.

As someone else described, the Expert's vibrations are clear feedback. The OC's give a lot of feedback, but some of it is "noise". Imagine the difference between speaking clearly in a quiet room (Expert) and someone yelling into your ear at a crowded pub (OC). In both cases, you can hear the message; but one is more distinct.

The ALC blades and many other composites sound like people whispering in a windy forest.

Well I'm playing with oc cr and there is no "bad" vibrations at all. I can feel the ball very well. I just wanted to understand why expert is so much better than oc series.

If I were to compare the two, I would say that for mid distance play, the Expert is more powerful than OC due to increased flex/catapult.

In play over the table, if can feel slower than OC on smaller strokes, closer to Stiga Allround Classic.

If I weren't married to my Virtuoso, and I played more mid-distance I would buy the Expert in a heartbeat.

tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomas.gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2011 at 9:13am
arylate makes the blade dead. It unnaturally dampens vibrations of all kind.
for stiga - I suspect spruce layer to be responsible for all that crap. Playing with OC, OC oversize is annoying. Every hit is a pain. I came accross OC blades, that felt like metal plate. I admit that not all OC blades are the same. You may be the lucky one.
Kokutaku Bishu no.1 ST - H3N red , BTfly Spinart 2.1 black
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2011 at 9:27am
It's not the spruce because I've bought lots of spruce based blades lately and not all of them are vibrators like the OC in fact the only other one that's like it and may not even be made from spruce (but something very similar) is the HK. The YEO is crisp and tuned like the engine note of a V12 Ferrari :0, huge difference
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2011 at 9:56am
Thank you all for so much information. They are really halping me. But its highly subjective right? You may think oc cr's vibrations are too much and an other guy may think there is not enough feedback while playing with virtuoso.
I should play with expert and virtuoso than I can make my mind...
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

speaquinox View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2011 at 11:57am
You can try both next week. Come to fbvtt one evening. Drinks one me LOL. Long time no see. 
Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2011 at 3:13pm
I have to go to Adana this week. I dont know when I can go to fbvtt but I'll call you when I can...
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2011 at 9:04am
Who is next in line to test this blade?

mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2011 at 1:56pm
Was there a list? Can I get my name on the end of that list?
#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2011 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by PLLsystem PLLsystem wrote:

well I try to sum it up:

Expert test application:
1. icontec, 2. mmerkel, 3. arg0 (we send one to icontec)

Musko test application:
patrick1v (I will PM asking GraemeW to send it)

Ultimate test application:
fatt (we send you one)

Pls keep in mind that the test blades are available with SQST handle only.

:) Mmerk - pm me your address and i'll send you the expert :)
after you're done it goes to arg0.

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2011 at 1:29am

OCCR has good vibrations. Tulpe 702 has too much vibration for the feel to be called pleasant.
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2011 at 1:43am
Imago there is a chain of shops called good vibrations, but I never seen a OC CR in there
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2011 at 1:55am

Then you have to try this Tulpe 702 Smile

mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2011 at 5:40am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

:) Mmerk - pm me your address and i'll send you the expert :)
after you're done it goes to arg0.

PM Sent
#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2011 at 1:18pm

In play over the table, if can feel slower than OC on smaller strokes, closer to Stiga Allround Classic.

If I weren't married to my Virtuoso, and I played more mid-distance I would buy the Expert in a heartbeat.

icontek.....a few quick questions:

1. Did you find that the Virtuoso L you have was more controllable with close table play compared to the Expert?

2. How was looping and lifting under spin ability between these 2 blades...any big difference?

3. Did you feel any difference in throw height between these 2 blades?

I am almost ready to pull the trigger on one of these blades, figuring out head size for either one is also hard for me to decide on.....maybe a M in Expert and L in Virtuoso I am starting to think.   Thanks for any further info besides what you have reported already.

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2011 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

icontek.....a few quick questions:

1. Did you find that the Virtuoso L you have was more controllable with close table play compared to the Expert?

2. How was looping and lifting under spin ability between these 2 blades...any big difference?

3. Did you feel any difference in throw height between these 2 blades?

I am almost ready to pull the trigger on one of these blades, figuring out head size for either one is also hard for me to decide on.....maybe a M in Expert and L in Virtuoso I am starting to think.   Thanks for any further info besides what you have reported already.

Answers:
1) They are very similar for close to table play. They both have awesome "low gears" for great push control (short/deep) and both play over the table topspins easily for openings. Because they are not super-fast with small strokes, you can often attack over the table without fear of the ball going long. The expert throws a little higher I think as it flexes a bit more (at least at the sizes I have - original virtuoso, which is now the L size I think).

2) I'd have to give lifting underspin to the flex of the Expert. Bigger, safer loops that you can make faster and faster by attacking more forward. However, for flat smashing balls that are 7" high and push or dead, you can't beat the Virtuoso...

3) Expert throws a little higher I think.

Bear in mind that I didn't have the same rubber on each; but the Expert was fabulous with plain old H3, having both a slower gear and a faster mid distance loop gear than my Virtuoso with H3NP.

I used Mambo H on the BH 1.8mm and absolutely loved it on that blade, reminded me of a much spinnier Mendo. Normally I prefer softer sponges (like Mendo Energy or Acuda S3/Donic F3) but this strange rubber paired really well with the Expert's flex.

Not a fan of the straight handle, however; I think the Virtuoso in FL is actually more comfy than my 6.2mm clipper Legend handle from the 90's.
Klaus123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klaus123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2011 at 7:00pm
Im interested in an OSP blade, and on the website, there is no name, no address, no e-mail, no tel. number. Before we are talking about "service" the least thing i expect is a name and contact address. Jeez.

Edited by Klaus123 - 06/25/2011 at 1:36am
zzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2011 at 4:41am
Originally posted by Klaus123 Klaus123 wrote:

Im interested in an OSP blade, and on the website, there is no name, no address, no e-mail, no tel. number. Before we are talking about "service" the least thing i expect is a name and contact address. Jeez.

You can contact Laszlo Peli via [email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic