FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Toronto Ping Pong Meetup Group

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sashko View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sashko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toronto Ping Pong Meetup Group
    Posted: 05/17/2011 at 2:49pm
Looking for casual ping pong events where skill and money aren't a factor? Check out the Toronto Ping Pong group at www.TorontoPingPong.com .

Edited by Sashko - 05/17/2011 at 3:04pm
Sponsored Links

PongPong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PongPong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2011 at 8:43pm
Interested but the link is not working.
Sashko View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sashko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2011 at 10:12pm
That's odd, it works for me :-/

Perhaps try copying the address in yur address bar or else typing it in.

Edited by Sashko - 05/17/2011 at 10:14pm
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2016 at 1:06pm
I've attended a few times and I from experience I'll say the following:

The lighting in this venue is atrocious.
The quality of players is mostly beginner/casual player. There's two or three high rated players, and that's it.
You have to wait a long time for your turn to play. there's only three tables.

I will no longer attend this club.
Sashko View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sashko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2016 at 1:16pm
Sorry to read that your experience wasn't great.

This is actually a social group, and not a club. We therefore do what we can to keep costs down as much as possible (unlike a club, where the goal is to have the highest quality possible, and balance it out with the cost to people attending).

Also, we try to do our best to get everyone who is part of the group to play as much as possible.

The player levels vary, since that depends on who attends each event.

If you have any questions/concerns, feel free to contact me. If the group's still not right for you, then that's fine too :-) 
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2016 at 1:54pm
"This is actually a social group, and not a club."

Fair enough. I'm only relaying the info for those who might have to travel a long distance to attend. No offence was meant but I think I am being honest in my assessment. For example, the lighting, which there is no way I can blame the organizer since this is a city venue, BUT, the lighting is pretty bad, and I think it is important to point out to PPL before they attend. I could hardly see the ball.
And yes, thanks for pointing out that this is a social group not a club, I should have pointed this out as well. Some members of other clubs do attend, but for the most part it is mostly beginners. Also not meant as a stab, just a fact. 

FdT

Sashko View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sashko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2016 at 2:19pm
In terms of the lighting, I've been playing at our main venue for over 5.5 years, and I've never noticed any issues seeing the ball. Not to say that the lighting is great by any means, but I do find it to be passable.

The skill levels vary, although you're probably right that most players (at least on the Thursday events) are at the beginner/intermediate level, including myself. So it really depends what you're looking for. There is at least one person that we play with regularly, who plays at tournament level, and he'll play with anyone.

The bottom line is, this group is not for everyone. However to post nothing but your negative observations about the group in a public forum, is not very helpful. Especially when saying that you don't get to play much, which if you brought it up to myself or the event host, we could definitely improve. 

Edited by Sashko - 03/21/2016 at 2:23pm
Sashko View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sashko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2016 at 5:10am
Just wanted to add that we now have 4 weekly events, held at 2 different venues, for anyone interested in joining. The Mon & Fri venue has better lighting and is typically less busy, so if those parts are a concern for anyone, there's that :-) 
Ladon1997 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladon1997 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2016 at 7:47am
Where to play ?
sunny View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2016 at 10:28am
Few thoughts:

I just joined the club online and my first impression from what I notice on the website:

• Good effort in building this club. It takes courage and initiative to build these things. Well done!!
  • Looks like a very good outlet for meeting, playing and socializing (eat afterwards)
  • Need more clubs like this which allow for such events
  • Table Tennis or Ping Pong is very popular game and everyone enjoys having few rounds and this club will provide you with just that
  • Kind of agree this is fun place not a competition building training center, so lighting could be less than competition clubs, but then many actual competition clubs don't have best lighting too as they are run in school gymnasiums
  • I did notice one good player in the photos but I would assume he would be infrequent, though he enjoys socializing but also loves to compete.
  • If you to stay healthy, enjoy good company of friendly folks and have a bite afterwards (why not) then this would a great venue, which seems to be growing now has two locations. 
  • I can only imagine if there are say 10-15 locations that would be so good for the community and for the sport table tennis.
Cheers!!!
Sashko View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sashko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2016 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Ladon1997 Ladon1997 wrote:

Where to play ?
If you join the group at TorontoPingPong.com you will be able to see the times and locations of each respective event, allowing you to sign up and attend the group's events.

Originally posted by sunny sunny wrote:

Few thoughts:

I just joined the club online and my first impression from what I notice on the website:

• Good effort in building this club. It takes courage and initiative to build these things. Well done!!
  • Looks like a very good outlet for meeting, playing and socializing (eat afterwards)
  • Need more clubs like this which allow for such events
  • Table Tennis or Ping Pong is very popular game and everyone enjoys having few rounds and this club will provide you with just that
  • Kind of agree this is fun place not a competition building training center, so lighting could be less than competition clubs, but then many actual competition clubs don't have best lighting too as they are run in school gymnasiums
  • I did notice one good player in the photos but I would assume he would be infrequent, though he enjoys socializing but also loves to compete.
  • If you to stay healthy, enjoy good company of friendly folks and have a bite afterwards (why not) then this would a great venue, which seems to be growing now has two locations. 
  • I can only imagine if there are say 10-15 locations that would be so good for the community and for the sport table tennis.
Cheers!!!
Thank you for the feedback Sunny. If you have venues in-mind that could be used by the group, please send me an e-mail via Meetup and I can share a spreadsheet we've been using to track potential venues for the group. The more events we can have, the better :-) 
Ladon1997 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladon1997 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2016 at 7:17pm
Pam Am Centre @ markham
sunny View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2016 at 12:57pm

Pam Am Centre @ markham

Funny maan..you just quoted national training center as a fun venue. Too serious a place to have fun. Great place if you want to train to compete nationally...
Ladon1997 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladon1997 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2016 at 11:18pm
No , you can ask the centre to rent for one day event under condition TTC has not any training sessions there . We have had one day rental for just $200 something. The place us owned by City of Markham , not TTC , whom is also a priority tenant only .
sunny View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2016 at 2:12pm

No , you can ask the centre to rent for one day event under condition TTC has not any training sessions there . We have had one day rental for just $200 something. The place us owned by City of Markham , not TTC , whom is also a priority tenant only .

For a club which is supporting and encouraging table tennis by just charging $10 for 6 months, paying $200+ for a day does not sound like a good solution. You have to find rich sponsors for such possibilities like your company sponsoring for a day. But still a good thought.
Ladon1997 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladon1997 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2016 at 8:55am
This rental is not a deal , a steal. Eachh butterfly table costs over $1500 and plus international standard set up. If you go to so -called not a profit club , fakery set up asking for times of this amount.

Don't think TT guys are living in poverty .

END
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic