Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chopping rubber

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chopping rubber
    Posted: 05/23/2011 at 9:47pm
Of the following rubbers, which is best for chopping with some offensive abilities? I'm mainly looking for one that does not have too hard of a sponge with nice dwell time (or any good chopping rubber you might know of, regardless of style):

geo spin tacky
focus 1
lkt pro xt
lkt rapid soft
729 cream transcend
gambler reflectoid
hurricane 3
neo hurricane 3
hurricane 3 with #19 sponge (supposed to be a bit softer)

I've been reading a bit on the H3 and they seem to get favorable reviews on chopping. Although... the rubber is rated as being quite hard. It still permits easy chopping ability?

*** Edit***

After a bit more research I'm leaning toward either the H3 #19 sponge or H3 neo rubber. Unless someone has used these and found them absolutely terrible for chopping!

Edited by obesechopper - 05/24/2011 at 7:47am
Sponsored Links

Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2011 at 11:00pm
I've tried many forehand rubbers seeking to balance offensive capabilities with being able to consistently chop on the forehand. At the moment I'm going with Giant Dragon Submarine in 1.8mm but I don't chop much with it, I know it can, I just am more offensive at the moment. I used Reflectoid in 1.5 and 2.0mm and felt 2.0 just was an unhappy medium and 1.5mm was too weak in attack, bottoming out all the time. I've played with geospin tacky, lkt pro xt and several 729 variations but I didn't chop with them. The harder the sponge, the less forgiving it will be generally, same with tackiness. I also have 1.8mm tackiness chop but it has zero offensive capabilities. 1.5mm black donic akkadi was insensitive to spin, so chopping was interesting, not tons of backspin, but it was weak in the short game, though I could flick and hit well with it.

I'm happy with my submarine though, beat a 1700 player Saturday 3-0, earlier the week lost 2-3 to a tough, very offensive 1900 player and got a game off of a 2100 player Saturday, which for me and my official rating, are very good results. I still have holes in my game against a certain type of player I need to think through and work out though.
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2011 at 12:27am
Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

Of the following rubbers, which is best for chopping with some offensive abilities? I'm mainly looking for one that does not have too hard of a sponge with nice dwell time:

geo spin tacky
focus 1
lkt pro xt
lkt rapid soft
729 cream transcend
gambler reflectoid

If I remember correctly, Cream Transcend has a pretty firm sponge. Pro XT and Reflectoid are softer.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2011 at 1:20am
How does the Rapid Soft or Pro XT compare to geospin for chopping/spin generation?

Or the hurricane 3 series (neo or normal)? I've been reading a bit on them and it seems to get favorable reviews on chopping. Although... the rubber is rated as being quite hard. It still permits easy chopping ability?

I played with a JO Waldner Donic rubber (which supposedly has a sponge hardness of 42 deg according to this list http://oneofakindtrading.com.au/sponge_hardness_table1.htm ) and found it both chopped and looped very well. Geospin is rated about the same hardness there. Do the chinese topsheets make a big difference even with softer sponges beneath?

The other rubber I tried was Galaxy Moon 38 deg (chinese scale I imagine). I found it overly hard without much dwell time and overall terrible for chopping.

Edited by obesechopper - 05/24/2011 at 3:12am
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2011 at 1:26am
Gambler Reflectoid 1mm.   It is cheap, pushes, blocks, hits, chops, serves and even loops well if you brush and use lots of wrist.

I have LKT Pro XT.   It is close to Reflectoid but you can't get it as thin.

Edited by pnachtwey - 05/24/2011 at 1:28am
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2011 at 6:39am
I've not played with all the rubbers on your list, but the ones I've tried (Lkt XT, Geospin tacky and H3) all have pretty firm sponges, especially now that speed glue is banned.

If you want a soft chopping rubber, with offensive capabilities, the JUIC 999 Elite Nano might be worth looking in to. It's mildly tacky and from memory softer then those I've tried that you mention. Used to be my favourite rubber when speed glue was allowed. Still performs nice with out glue, but my game have changed and so has my preferences.
The holy grail
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2011 at 7:48am
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

I've not played with all the rubbers on your list, but the ones I've tried (Lkt XT, Geospin tacky and H3) all have pretty firm sponges, especially now that speed glue is banned.

If you want a soft chopping rubber, with offensive capabilities, the JUIC 999 Elite Nano might be worth looking in to. It's mildly tacky and from memory softer then those I've tried that you mention. Used to be my favourite rubber when speed glue was allowed. Still performs nice with out glue, but my game have changed and so has my preferences.

How is the H3 at chopping? It seems to be listed a number of times as the rubber used by the big boys and girls of the sport.
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2011 at 7:54am
Hmm, I wonder why they took LKT XT Silver Dragon and XP Gold Dragon off the market. Guess they weren't popular.

Anyways, the mildly tacky XT can't compare to H3 and Geospin Tacky in terms of spin production. But it is quite light in comparison. A 1.8/1.5mm Globe 999 or H3 would also be my choice. I've chopped with H3 and I actually prefer the firm sponge, however you should try to find the 1.8mm if you can. I find great control with the firm sponge/tacky topsheet combo for imposing side/underspin as well as for counter-looping.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2011 at 8:15am
H3 is nice for chopping, but, I like hard sponges for chopping (as well as looping) and if your preference is for softer sponges, H3 might not be ideal for you.

Like I said earlier the JUIC 999 Elite Nano is softer, and a little less tacky, but works really well for both chopping and looping.

Not sure if this have been mentioned before, but one option would be to contact Cole, as he (unless I'm mistaken) offers custoum combinations, so you could get a Globe 999 top sheet along with a softer sponge.
The holy grail
lovemagicworld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovemagicworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2011 at 10:19am
NEO H3/H2 or Normal H3/H2
Feint Long 2 or 3

can anyone tell me the pros and cons etc things and which one is better for chopping?
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2011 at 10:31am
I've played with MOST H3 variants. H3 #19 1.5 was the best for cHopping. Not as easy or spinny as reflectoid but better attacking over the table.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2011 at 12:40pm
Icontek, where did you find 1.5mm in H3 ?
Are you coming to NH in October 30th ? Tournamnet !

AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2011 at 1:22pm
I would say either Reflectoid or Giant Dragon submarine would be good for you. They are slow enough they have good control for chopping, but they also are able to generate plenty of spin for attacking.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2011 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by melarimsa melarimsa wrote:

I ordered a 1.8mm H3 and got the #19 by mistake. May have only been 1.8mm and not 1.5, but was much thinner than other 1.8's I had.

I'll try and organize a Maine Road Trip of sorts for that tournament; can you link me to website registration?
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2011 at 2:28pm
i don't think any of these are really good for chopping. LKT has low throw which I hate for chopping because I can't keep the paddle flat. H3 has hard topsheet and sponge, and low throw, and while i have noticed it is super safe for chopping with forehand the chops come back more like a push, as it's not that spiny.

I can't really recommend a chopping rubber, as I try to avoid chopping like decease.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2011 at 5:37am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Originally posted by melarimsa melarimsa wrote:

I ordered a 1.8mm H3 and got the #19 by mistake. May have only been 1.8mm and not 1.5, but was much thinner than other 1.8's I had.

I'll try and organize a Maine Road Trip of sorts for that tournament; can you link me to website registration?

Can you tell us where you ordered the H3 in 1.8?  I believe a 1.8 H3 or TG will fit my game well but the only shop that I can find is iruiru which charges a bundle.  Better yet, if anyone knows where to get H3 or TG topsheets, please post.

tia...
The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2011 at 8:34am
Originally posted by tuco tuco wrote:

Can you tell us where you ordered the H3 in 1.8?  I believe a 1.8 H3 or TG will fit my game well but the only shop that I can find is iruiru which charges a bundle.  Better yet, if anyone knows where to get H3 or TG topsheets, please post.

tia...

Dandoy-sports has 1.8mm H3. It's pretty good. DHS no longer sells separate topsheets (they stopped a few years back because of people adding sponges and reselling as 4-cornered Nationals).

I think Reflectoid 1.5mm is the easiest to chop with (and produces the most spin, judging by my opponents reactions) but it's difficult for me to play offensively. As a backhand rubber, it is fine for over the table attacks, flips/kills, but as a FH rubber, Reflectoid is only capable of controlled spin loops and it takes many, many topspin attacks to win a point.

cheondo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheondo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2011 at 2:37pm
I've tried many of these rubbers. Giant Dragon Submarine is surprisingly good. Better than BTY Tackiness Chop 2. Hurricane is too hard to chop consistently.

BTY Roundell is a fantastic all-around rubber for me. I used it on Joo Se Hyuk. Chops stayed low, and obviously for offensive it's awesome.

If money is a concern, then the Submarine can't be beat.

Those Gambler products I find to be total rubbish... no offense to Gambler fans out there.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic