Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Breaking in Chinese sponge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cheondo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheondo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breaking in Chinese sponge
    Posted: 05/31/2011 at 9:21am

What's the best way to make a chinese sponge play well in the quickest time possible? 

I heard of using olive oil or parrafin to soften it.

What is it about the sponge that requires a break-in period? Seems like there must be a better way than to spend hours of hitting the ball with a nearly useless rubber. 

qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2011 at 9:33am
You could send me the new rubbers and I'll break them in for you. Wink
atv View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2011 at 9:44am
I use 10 rounds of speed glue
YEO
FH: 729 08 ES
BH: Focus III Snipe
Senkoh-1
FH: H3 Comm
BH: 755
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2011 at 9:58am
Just buy the H3 National White package, put 12 layers of haifu waterbased glue then cut it.
Stick it to the blade.
Next day, remove it from the blade.
Then put 2 layers of parafin oil, after that directly put 1 layer of baby oil.
The sponge will become dome and expand for 5 days.
Wait until the sponge flatten, then stick it to the blade.
The new H3 National Neo topsheet will break in faster than old topsheet because it's less sticky.
It's better to wait for about a week without hitting the rubber, you can play directly after tuning it and it's fast!!!

Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

atv View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2011 at 10:12am
Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

Just buy the H3 National White package, put 12 layers of haifu waterbased glue then cut it.
Stick it to the blade.
The new H3 National Neo topsheet will break in faster than old topsheet because it's less sticky.
It's better to wait for about a week without hitting the rubber, you can play directly after tuning it and it's fast!!!

That seems like a serious ritualTongue
YEO
FH: 729 08 ES
BH: Focus III Snipe
Senkoh-1
FH: H3 Comm
BH: 755
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2011 at 10:40am
these guys are telling you time consuming and expensive methods. If you want to save money and time! 
1.(easiest method) put speed glue on your rubber, attach to rubber, play, no waiting! After a week the voc's will evaporate, and the rubber will play primed/broken in. ~1 minute
2.(easy method) put 5-10 layers of normal voc glue on it. ~30mins
3.(okay method) stretch the new rubber with your hands. glue it on ~30 mins  

4.(no breaking in method) buy spin art or thor

Edited by popperlocker - 05/31/2011 at 10:42am
Member of the YU ZIYANG is Yo DADDY Fan Club
H3Neo National $145
Hurricane Long 5 National $1000
Tenergy 05 National $145
CNT Autographed Shirt $500
Louis Vuitton Shorts $900
I Love TT
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2011 at 10:48am
The best method is indeed just playing with the rubber out of the package. The second best method is just roll a bowling ball over the sponge for a while. You could do this while watching television.
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2011 at 11:05am
Originally posted by atv atv wrote:

Stick it to the blade.

That seems like a serious ritualTongue

I've heard from chinese forum that they mix 70% of parafin oil and 30% of Baby oil to tune the chinese rubber Wink
The different is huge, I've tried the H3 National with 12 layers of Haifu WBG.
It is still slow and the sponge seems dead and hard.
After tuning it, the sponge soften a bit and become bouncy and lively.
What an unexpected discovery Tongue
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2011 at 11:13am
Originally posted by popperlocker popperlocker wrote:

these guys are telling you time consuming and expensive methods. If you want to save money and time! 
1.(easiest method) put speed glue on your rubber, attach to rubber, play, no waiting! After a week the voc's will evaporate, and the rubber will play primed/broken in. ~1 minute

I already tried Spin Art and Thor, there's no where can compared to H3...
If Spin Art and Thor is good enough, then the chinese national team will use it and don't have to spend a lot of time tuning the H3.
If you want a faster H3, the only way is to boost it, not finding any other brand rubber that claim similar but faster version of H3 LOL

H3 National is expensive but it's worth it, it's less expensive than a sheet of Tenergy but last very long time.
I've tried to boost Provincial and National H3, but the National still produce better speed and produce more spin.

I found my 5 days waiting time is worth it. I would rather do it once, rather than speed glue the rubber. Wasting my time must reglue the rubber everytime I play...
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

igorponger View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2018 at 8:01am
Originally posted by qynthnghm qynthnghm wrote:

The best method is indeed just playing with the rubber out of the package. The second best method is just roll a bowling ball over the sponge for a while. You could do this while watching television.

Sounds very interesting, indeed.
Bowling ball is hefty one, indeed. Does it really make the sponge some softer?   Could you submit some more proofs?

Thanks.

Edited by igorponger - 05/14/2018 at 8:08am
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2018 at 9:48am
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

Originally posted by qynthnghm qynthnghm wrote:

Sounds very interesting, indeed.
Bowling ball is hefty one, indeed. Does it really make the sponge some softer?   Could you submit some more proofs?

Thanks.

Hmm, given that I wrote that comment nearly a decade ago, I am not so sure about this bowling ball method, although I don't see why it could not work in softening firm sponges if done consistently over time. I guess my worry would be damaging the pip structure and possibly having them come unglued from the top sheet. Maybe a roller would be better.

I think I was being a bit sarcastic and attempting at humor. Although if I were to think about it, it seems an interesting experiment. Alas, I do not own a bowling ball!

The only thing I ever did was just apply multiple coats of (very thin) glue well before playing, but everybody already does that.

Thanks for getting me back into this forum after such a long hiatus though.LOL
hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2018 at 4:50pm
just play with it for a month. 
FH: h3 2.2 39
t05: 2.1
viscaria: 93g
hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2018 at 4:52pm

If Spin Art and Thor is good enough, then the chinese national team will use it and don't have to spend a lot of time tuning the H3.
If you want a faster H3, the only way is to boost it, not finding any other brand rubber that claim similar but faster version of H3 LOL

H3 National is expensive but it's worth it, it's less expensive than a sheet of Tenergy but last very long time.
I've tried to boost Provincial and National H3, but the National still produce better speed and produce more spin.

I found my 5 days waiting time is worth it. I would rather do it once, rather than speed glue the rubber. Wasting my time must reglue the rubber everytime I play...
https://www.captiongenerator.com/970492/Ryan-got-scammed-282usd
FH: h3 2.2 39
t05: 2.1
viscaria: 93g
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2018 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by hunkeelin hunkeelin wrote:

https://www.captiongenerator.com/970492/Ryan-got-scammed-282usd

I know a guy who bought a H3 from a CNT and is not bouncy at all only if you boost it withoyt the right booster in just another rubber. it wont help you to do hypersonic loops but have a different smell than normal prov H3
Imago View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2018 at 12:44am
Use a rubber mallet.
man_iii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote man_iii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2018 at 4:24am
Just tie some Chinese crackers and blow smoke on the rubber. 
jfolsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2018 at 9:59pm
What happened to "Send it to me for a month and I will break it in for you." Smile
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2018 at 9:52am
That method leaves your rubber really small, doesn't it?
W6 fl with Illumina 1.8

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
TT newbie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2018 at 11:57am
For those who boost H3 Neo commercial with FTL, how many layers of Falco Long before gluing?
And how many layers of WBG?
man_iii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote man_iii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2018 at 8:09am
I've tried 1 or 2 layers on H3 Neo to get a dome but it was a very old rubber. Not sure how many a brand new H3 Neo really needs.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic