Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stiga Rosewood V vs Maplewood VII

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
harldhzx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harldhzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiga Rosewood V vs Maplewood VII
    Posted: 05/31/2011 at 11:10am
As part of my continuous blade testing activities I've bought both blades. I play the Rosewood since two month or so and have tested the Maplewood only today.

Both blades are fast and crisp. The Rosewood V has more dwell while the Maplewood VII is faster and more linear.

The Maplewood VII, although consisting of seven plies, looks and feels like a reinforced 5 ply:

Counterhitting:

Maplewood  VII wins as is more direct, faster and reliable. Very nice for 'borrowing' power.

Block:

Same as counter.

Loop:

Rosewood is spinnier and more controlled. Especially loop against underspin is much better.
fast loops against topspin better with Maplewood.

Push:

Rosewood better. Maplewood somewhat stiff such that the ball easily pops up. 

On the whole, Rosewood offers better control and more spin on slower balls. Maplewood is more powerfull and direct. Both 'eat' the ball pretty well without compromising crispness and power, and are amazing good blades compared to many others I've played before. Maybe Maplewood will suit topspin players with very precise strokes while Rosewood is better for technically weaker players who still want to have a powerful blade.

A pity I can't compare with Rosewood VII and Maplewood V.  Maybe next month Star
Sponsored Links

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2011 at 11:22am
How thick is the maplewood 7? look like 5 ply to me.
The Rosewood 7 is very thick like clipper.
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

harldhzx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harldhzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2011 at 11:31am
Around 6.5 I'd say.  There are two veneers outside of  the striped one. 
harldhzx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harldhzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2011 at 11:27am
Had a few matches with Maplewood VII today and in the end I never thought of switching back to Rosewood V. Maplewood VII is more powerful, so I could score more direct points. Also, the blade is better away from the table, which is where I play my passive game. With Maplewood, I have to use very fast hand and arm speed through the ball, but then the ball seems to get a nice forward motion by itself. On the other hand, Maplewood VII all in all is not very forgiving of baldy timed shots.

GSOM_GSOM11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSOM_GSOM11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2011 at 5:52pm
Sorry, what rubbers do U use on these blades?
johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2011 at 5:52pm
Thanks for the review!
Blade: OSP Virtuoso-L RST 87gr
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2011 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by harldhzx harldhzx wrote:

Had a few matches with Maplewood VII today and in the end I never thought of switching back to Rosewood V. Maplewood VII is more powerful, so I could score more direct points. Also, the blade is better away from the table, which is where I play my passive game. With Maplewood, I have to use very fast hand and arm speed through the ball, but then the ball seems to get a nice forward motion by itself. On the other hand, Maplewood VII all in all is not very forgiving of baldy timed shots.

the problem is, it is hard to believe that the maplewood is worth compared to a tbs or to a tb alc,

it looks more or less same performance in speed/spin or worse and lot worse handle, solidness, quality, etc.

and i do not think it is easier to handle a maplewood vii than a tbs.

Edited by ejmaster - 06/04/2011 at 8:08pm
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2011 at 9:12pm
ejmaster how similar are these blades to a YEO, I've finally bought a YEO and am very impressed with it
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2011 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

ejmaster how similar are these blades to a YEO, I've finally bought a YEO and am very impressed with it

yeo has everything ma lin needed to be olympic champion.

in my opinion better blade than ebenholzs, or rws or intensitys or mws.

yeo is powerful, good balance, right thickness, good handle, good quality.

do not have to get used to strange things, weird balance, coatings, thin handles, softish low quality wood, splintering, rough finish, long throws.....

yeo is very good blade. a dynamic and sharp blade.

at the end when i was trying intensity my conclusion was that the extraSC (not the malinSC) was better without complicating life.

yeo better. not so fashioned but better for most players.

my view is that if one is thinking about a composite(intensity) better take a yasaka extraSC or ymlc.

if one wants eb v or rw v or nct off type better get a yeo.

if one wants the allround type better get an extra3D.

and if one wants a clipper type maybe the new yasaka extra special is better.

yasaka 5 - stiga 0 (the best company?) 

Edited by ejmaster - 06/04/2011 at 10:36pm
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
atv View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2011 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by ejmaster ejmaster wrote:

do not have to get used to strange things, weird balance, coatings, thin handles, softish low quality wood, splintering, rough finish, long throws.....

at the end when i was trying intensity my conclusion was that the extraSC (not the malinSC) was better without complicating life.

my view is that if one is thinking about a composite(intensity) better take a yasaka extraSC or ymlc.

Any thoughts as to YEO vs. YES? 5ply to 7ply, how about the characteristics difference? And how would YES compare to Clipper?
YEO
FH: 729 08 ES
BH: Focus III Snipe
Senkoh-1
FH: H3 Comm
BH: 755
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2011 at 10:56pm
So far I'm finding the Yeo to be in a word superb. A very fine balance between sharp, smooth, good dwell and flex :) the sweet spot on it is the equal to most carbon blades which is something I didn't expect. The whole feeling of the blade is that no part or quality of it is fighting against anything else, it's a very well tuned bit of ply. Although it's also a fairly high powered blade so may not be for everyone. I also bought mine for under 50 usd which is crazy cheap for a blade that good, if the rest of Yasaka's Swedish blades are similarly good, everyone should have one
harldhzx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harldhzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2011 at 3:07am
Tenergy 05 on forehand and Acuda S2 on backhand. As to comparison with TBS I can only say the Maplewood VII works well for my game. I beat an ok YEO player quite easily with is. Turned out his YEO did not returned the Maplewood service too well Ermm
atv View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2011 at 3:12am
Originally posted by harldhzx harldhzx wrote:

Tenergy 05 on forehand and Acuda S2 on backhand. As to comparison with TBS I can only say the Maplewood VII works well for my game. I beat an ok YEO player quite easily with is. Turned out his YEO did not returned the Maplewood service too well Ermm
Maybe Ma Lin won't have that problemTongue
YEO
FH: 729 08 ES
BH: Focus III Snipe
Senkoh-1
FH: H3 Comm
BH: 755
harldhzx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harldhzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2011 at 4:25am
Maybe he has a special made ...Embarrassed
PedramTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PedramTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2011 at 4:17am
harldhzx can you compare rosewood 5 and maplewood with Donic ovtcharof soft carbon?

speed vibration loop weight
harldhzx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harldhzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2011 at 9:50am
Sorry, only played with an Ovtacharov 7ply all wood, which did not have the nice 'grip' of the Maplewood VII and maybe is less powerful, but softer.

Maplewood VII really has this 'long trajectory' as opposite to 'high arc'. Ball quality is very high, on the other hand overhitting often leads to missing the table.

harldhzx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harldhzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2011 at 9:55am
One addition: Maplewood VII is not so good on blocking strong topspin. You get somewhat punished by 'long trajectory' Big smile
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2011 at 10:44pm

So far I'm finding the Yeo to be in a word superb. A very fine balance between sharp, smooth, good dwell and flex :) the sweet spot on it is the equal to most carbon blades which is something I didn't expect. The whole feeling of the blade is that no part or quality of it is fighting against anything else, it's a very well tuned bit of ply. Although it's also a fairly high powered blade so may not be for everyone. I also bought mine for under 50 usd which is crazy cheap for a blade that good, if the rest of Yasaka's Swedish blades are similarly good, everyone should have one

about what blade, mapplewood?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2011 at 11:07pm
I was just saying the YEO (Yasaka extra offensive), which is similarly made to these blades with the ayous-spruce-insert random hard outer ply is really good and doesn't cost much. It's an option if you want a blade of this type without spending so much

Edited by bluebucket - 06/08/2011 at 11:09pm
liang1983 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liang1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2011 at 12:53pm
short introduce - Maplewood VII (Cpen) <<Table Tennis World>> May 2011
                         - Rosewood V  <<Table Tennis World>> Febuary 2011
Butterfly Photino
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2011 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by ejmaster ejmaster wrote:

BUT... yasaka doesn't have sexy handles

Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
harldhzx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harldhzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2011 at 10:53am
The article in TT world says (CPen) Maplewood VII is heavy and more a  'hitters dream'. I'd say it's definitely good for slower players (like me) who often play away from the table. I can hold the ball long enough before getting a chance to counterloop or -hit. Still, loop against underspin has become more difficult.
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2011 at 2:42pm
Anyone else tried Mapplewood V or VII, SH or CS?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2011 at 8:22pm
imago, i had a review of the maplewood 7 before here

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
harldhzx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harldhzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2011 at 6:13am
Apart from myself, a friend plays with maplewood VII. He and is very happy with this blade, as it it very powerful, linear  and comparatively easy to control.

He has one complaint: it's difficult to handle Spin - especially looping underspin is tough.

I moved away from the blade once people found out that I have a hard time returning certain fast or spinny serves with it - this was really a showstopper for matches as I was getting too passive on the backhand

Edited by harldhzx - 11/17/2011 at 6:25am
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2011 at 9:19am
only the weight of the wood defers me from using the blade, im using it as a racket with long pips on the other side to train players
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic