FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

$45,000 Los Angeles Open Entry Form!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2011 at 10:57am
It should be about 300-400 when all is said and done...

As far as I know, the venue won't be available until tournament date.  However, there will be lots of great players warming up at our club for this event.  Smile
Sponsored Links

Pushblocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2011 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

It should be about 300-400 when all is said and done...

As far as I know, the venue won't be available until tournament date.  However, there will be lots of great players warming up at our club for this event.  Smile
My flight arrives around noon at Ontario airport.....  I'll probably play at LATTA on Thursday or Friday, maybe on both.. However, I might play at a different club on one day just to get to play different players..

Edited by Pushblocker - 08/19/2011 at 1:19pm
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
kenboi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2011 at 3:15am
Any top players in Japan are joining this tournament?
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2011 at 4:19am
if anyone is looking for recommendations for a hotel, I go to that area 2-3 times each year and I always stay at the Comfort Suites at 9488 Valley Blvd in Rosemead.  It probably is not as nice as the Hilton mentioned in an earlier post but is a nice and comfortable hotel in that area with a reasonable price.
The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

Mdman View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2011 at 1:47pm
Does Anyone know if US number 17 Zaman Molla is going to play in this tournament ?
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2011 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Mdman Mdman wrote:

Does Anyone know if US number 17 Zaman Molla is going to play in this tournament ?

Yes, he is.
bogeyhunter View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2011 at 3:55pm
Thumbs UpThumbs Up to people running this event.
www.NexyUSA.com
We also carries Sauer & Tröger.
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65FLO2Lneo
https://youtu.be/YgYFPJCBCr0
https://youtu.be/NeHp789Lb1c
https://youtu.be/_65FLO2Lneo
Mdman View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2011 at 8:58pm

Yes, he is.

Great, now I can buy my tickets to watch. I really enjoy watching him play, by the way he used to be number 7 , what happened?
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2011 at 2:09am

Yes, he is.

Great, now I can buy my tickets to watch. I really enjoy watching him play, by the way he used to be number 7 , what happened?

Zaman has been coaching a lot instead of training... The only practice he gets in the U.S. is at our LATTA weekly open round robins.  As a matter of fact he just played the finals this evening against a much-improved Rodel Valle of the Philippines national team... Rodel was down 0-2 in games and came back to 2-2, then down 3-7 in the fifth and stormed back for the win.  It was a very exciting match with lots of powerful counterlooping exchanges.  Regardless of his loss to Rodel, Zaman remains one of the most exciting players in the U.S. to watch in person, because of his all-out attacking style.
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2011 at 2:14am
At the risk of looking foolish, I've heard that Chuan Chih Yuan is competing in the Open Division...?

I've also heard that there are well over 20 people competing who are rated over 2600...?

These are just rumors I've heard, but even if there's a kernel of truth to them it sounds like it will be a helluva tournament.

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
drclaude1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drclaude1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2011 at 2:17am
He also likes to keep things on the light side, even when us spectators get a little nervous for him.
Carbonado 290

Rakza7
Rakza7
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2011 at 2:38am
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

At the risk of looking foolish, I've heard that Chuan Chih Yuan is competing in the Open Division...?

I've also heard that there are well over 20 people competing who are rated over 2600...?

These are just rumors I've heard, but even if there's a kernel of truth to them it sounds like it will be a helluva tournament.

Answer to your question # 1:  Chuan is waiting for his American visa for this event, which should be just a formality, but we never know what Uncle Sam thinks.  LOL  Chance of having him at this tournament is about 99%.

Answer to your question # 2:  Most likely yes.  As of last Wednesday, we had about fourteen players rated over 2600, including some top Canadians.  We still have some inquiries from top Asian and European players who do not mind paying the $50 late fee, so our projection of getting twenty 2600+ rated players seems within reach.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2011 at 2:56am
Originally posted by drclaude1 drclaude1 wrote:

He also likes to keep things on the light side, even when us spectators get a little nervous for him.

Yep, that him!  He's actually a funny person, very jovial.  Some people think he's too cocky, but that's far from the truth.  At our weekly tournaments he would hug any player he fought hard with after the match, win or lose.  He is a classy guy who trained with Timo Boll in Germany for two months during his peak.

Tonight's picture with Rodel Valle of the Philippines National Team:

Edited by roundrobin - 08/21/2011 at 10:01pm
Mdman View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2011 at 12:37pm

Originally posted by drclaude1 drclaude1 wrote:

Yep, that him!  He's actually a funny person, very jovial.  Some people think he's too cocky, but that's far from the truth.  At our weekly tournaments he would hug any player he fought hard with after the match, win or lose.  He is a classy guy who trained with Timo Boll in Germany for two months during his peak.Tonight's picture with Rodel Valle of the Philippines National Team:
Wow nice pic, I played against Zaman a couple of times and I must say that he has such control on the ball and his loops are so powerful, he makes unbelievable shots . he is also famous for his no look smash. he is really a great player.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2011 at 6:24pm
You guys should be really proud of this event. This is going to be the best event in a long time in the USA. I bet if you can get this going every year it will really start to bring some big named players to our country, which is something that needs to happen- desperately.

Edited by beeray1 - 08/21/2011 at 6:25pm
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2011 at 3:44am

I played against Zaman a couple of times and I must say that he has such control on the ball and his loops are so powerful, he makes unbelievable shots . he is also famous for his no look smash. he is really a great player.

You mean like this?  LOL  He made this shot with full power!  Smile

Edited by roundrobin - 08/22/2011 at 3:45am
assasin8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assasin8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2011 at 5:52pm
I just did a search on LA Badminton Club to view photos of the facility.  Here is what I found on Yelp.
http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/G-CINfPjPZYBiwu5gkftTQ?select=pNY84MWmSKmZUe0SbxeVnw

Do you think the lights will have an effect?  Most table tennis tournaments domestic or international have lights from the top to shine downwards.  The lighting inside this facility is directed at an angle.  I wonder for players that like to lob if this will be to their advantage?  Will the lighting be even where it does not cause shadows?
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2011 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by assasin8 assasin8 wrote:

I just did a search on LA Badminton Club to view photos of the facility.  Here is what I found on Yelp.
http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/G-CINfPjPZYBiwu5gkftTQ?select=pNY84MWmSKmZUe0SbxeVnw

Do you think the lights will have an effect?  Most table tennis tournaments domestic or international have lights from the top to shine downwards.  The lighting inside this facility is directed at an angle.  I wonder for players that like to lob if this will be to their advantage?  Will the lighting be even where it does not cause shadows?

The lighting at this facility is of the highest standards for badminton tournaments, but unusual for a table tennis event.  However, we already have many local players visiting this venue (since it's only 50 yards away from LATTA), and their opinion is it won't be a problem for most players.
Nori View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2011 at 6:40pm

Originally posted by assasin8 assasin8 wrote:

The lighting at this facility is of the highest standards for badminton tournaments, but unusual for a table tennis event.  However, we already have many local players visiting this venue (since it's only 50 yards away from LATTA), and their opinion is it won't be a problem for most players.

I wish our club had lights like that. 10% of my overheads hit the net because I can't see the shuttle and am blinded by light.
Sigma View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2011 at 12:54pm

Yes, he is.

Zaman has been coaching a lot instead of training... The only practice he gets in the U.S. is at our LATTA weekly open round robins.  As a matter of fact he just played the finals this evening against a much-improved Rodel Valle of the Philippines national team... Rodel was down 0-2 in games and came back to 2-2, then down 3-7 in the fifth and stormed back for the win.  It was a very exciting match with lots of powerful counterlooping exchanges.  Regardless of his loss to Rodel, Zaman remains one of the most exciting players in the U.S. to watch in person, because of his all-out attacking style.

Rodel was about 2324 in 2007 and apparently now is over 2600 since he defeated Zaman.
Zaman was also a national team player. His friend said if he trained, he could be a 2700 level player.

So Rodel will play LA Open? Do you have some more update on the top players? The website's information seems out dated.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2011 at 2:07pm
In response to this thread at another forum that criticizes LA Open's $200 VIP ticket package:

http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&webtag=ab-tabletennis&tid=32920

I would like to point out that we have always had this kind of fund-raising "VIP" tickets for our sports and cultural events for many years.  We market them exclusively to local business leaders who are more than willing to show their appreciation by purchasing such tickets.  On some occasions, the buyers of this kind of tickets are also privately invited to special banquets to meet with our top players, performers and officials.  It's been our traditional way of raising money and identifying future donors for our local events for as long as I can remember.  Smile

I am truly sorry if it looks way out of line for the OP.

Edited by roundrobin - 08/23/2011 at 2:45pm
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2011 at 2:13pm
Rodel was about 2324 in 2007 and apparently now is over 2600 since he defeated Zaman.
Zaman was also a national team player. His friend said if he trained, he could be a 2700 level player.

So Rodel will play LA Open? Do you have some more update on the top players? The website's information seems out dated.

Yes, along with Zaman, Rodel has also entered the LA Open.  I do have the access to the list of top players entered so far, but at this moment the TD has his hands full and does not have the time to update the website. 

apflor323 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apflor323 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2011 at 5:57pm

Yes, along with Zaman, Rodel has also entered the LA Open.  I do have the access to the list of top players entered so far, but at this moment the TD has his hands full and does not have the time to update the website. 

Along with Rodel, there are actually 2 other players from the Philippines with him that are rated a bit higher than him. They will be representing the Philippines in the upcoming World Police and Fire Games in New York this weekend. 
T05/Treiber Z/Rasant Powersponge
FEEDBACK HERE
kenboi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2011 at 12:12am
Why is the ticket for Sunday twice as much as saturday's? Is the single open final held on sunday? 
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2011 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by kenboi kenboi wrote:

Why is the ticket for Sunday twice as much as saturday's? Is the single open final held on sunday? 

Later rounds (including finals) for both Open and Womens Singles start and finish on Sunday.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2011 at 2:39pm
To All:

More than 300 players have already entered this tournament, which is shaping up to be the most spectacular non-invitational table tennis event in SoCal in the past fifteen years!  There's still plenty of time to enter, so please plan to spend this Labor Day weekend playing some table tennis with new friends at LA Open, and soaking up the sun with local beauties at Laguna Beach!   Big smile

Our Entry Form:

http://www.laopen2011.com/enrollment.html

apflor323 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apflor323 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2011 at 2:43pm

Later rounds (including finals) for both Open and Womens Singles start and finish on Sunday.

Am I glad you posted this William. I would have felt bad buying tickets for the open event on Saturday and not watching the finals in one trip. Big smile

Any chance you might have the start time for the later rounds on sunday?Thumbs Up

Thanks!!!

Edited by apflor323 - 08/25/2011 at 2:44pm
T05/Treiber Z/Rasant Powersponge
FEEDBACK HERE
kenboi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2011 at 4:05pm
Laguna Beach is so beautiful. Last time I've been there was long time ago. I miss that Beach!

I was told Chuan Chih Yuan won't be able to make it because of his VISA. He's one of my favorite players. So sad. I bought the ticket on sunday just to watch him. I hope there are other good players to watch.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2011 at 4:51pm

Laguna Beach is so beautiful. Last time I've been there was long time ago. I miss that Beach!

I was told Chuan Chih Yuan won't be able to make it because of his VISA. He's one of my favorite players. So sad. I bought the ticket on sunday just to watch him. I hope there are other good players to watch.

Yes, as unbelievable as it sounds, Chuan's application for American visa was denied by the U.S Embassy in Taiwan.  I guess Uncle Sam is really afraid that Chuan may remain in the U.S. illegally after the visa expires!  This is a player who travels around the world playing table tennis tournaments for a living... Ouch

So who wants the $12,000.00 now?  Big smile
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2011 at 5:10pm

Yes, as unbelievable as it sounds, Chuan's application for American visa was denied by the U.S Embassy in Taiwan.  I guess Uncle Sam is really afraid that Chuan may remain in the U.S. illegally after the visa expires!  This is a player who travels around the world playing table tennis tournaments for a living... Ouch

So who wants the $12,000.00 now?  Big smile

Maybe he's missing some application materials, as US visa application is very complicated... If that's not the case, then it just shows how unimportant and unknown TT is in the states. That would never happen to a world ranked top 12 player in tennis Dead
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic