Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rubber not sticking to blade..!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mike_wayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike_wayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rubber not sticking to blade..!!
    Posted: 06/13/2011 at 6:23am
Hi All..!!
I am not an expert in pasting rubbers to blade but I have successfully managed to stick a few rubbers on my friends rackets. Yesterday, I was trying to stick a black Roxon 450 max rubber on my friend's TB ALC racket. I applied Tearmender to both sponge and blade and waited till the glue was dry. I put the rubber on the blade and lightly rolled it a few times with a roller as I always do. The rubber seemed fine at that time. I put the racket beneath heavy books for an hour or two. Then I cut this rubber with my box cutter knife (very sharp one) as usual. But when my friend started to play with this racket after 2-3 hours, the rubber almost fell off the blade on it's own. I have never seen anything like this happen after a decent glue and cut job.Shocked
        My friend has sealed his TB ALC with Minwax Polyurethane spray very lightly and the earlier rubbers stuck fine on this blade with Tearmender. I don't know what went wrong. Can anybody explain where could be my mistake..??Confused
Thanks in advance.

Edited by mike_wayne - 06/13/2011 at 6:28am
Sponsored Links

beowulf View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beowulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2011 at 7:59am
Probably you used too much of Tearmender. Give it another try with very thin coat of Tearmender on both blade as well as rubber.
Blade : Michael Maze ALC
F/H : Andro Hexer 2.1
B/H : Haifu Shark II Soft Max
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2011 at 10:45am
I thought I read somewhere in this forum that using Tearmender to glue the rubber it must be done while it is still wet Confused
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2011 at 12:11pm
dude, just lightly sand that blade and try again. Even if it is "lightly sealed", it is still sealed. The grains have been covered and is smoother. Just rough it up and try again
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2011 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

I thought I read somewhere in this forum that using Tearmender to glue the rubber it must be done while it is still wet Confused

I have glued 100's of rubbers with Tear Mender, mostly wet because of moving from blades to blades well after the first cut.  I have also done many dry glues with it.....no problems ever doing it either way.  The most important thing with TE is to get an even spread.  The soft makeup sponges work pretty good for this.  

Yes, if its not sticking on a sealed blade, hit it up lightly with some 600+ sandpaper. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike_wayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2011 at 12:52am

Thanks for all your suggestions. I tried the very fine coat method suggested by Beowulf. The rubber seemed to stick fine but after 30 minutes of play, it became loose and almost fell off the blade again.

Now, as per Rich’s advice, I have sanded the blade surface with very fine sandpaper (600) and I have roughened the surface a bit. I have put the rubber again with very thin layer of Tearmender and I have kept it under the books.

Let’s see how it sticks this time..!!

patient.bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patient.bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2011 at 12:58am
I am having the same issue with Elmer's Rubber Cement. The blade was sealed with 3 coatings of hairspray. No matter what, the rubber starts to get unglued from the edges. So distressing.
Stiga AR NCT + Yasaka Mark V 2.0mm.....and a few others
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2011 at 9:24am
Originally posted by patient.bird patient.bird wrote:

The blade was sealed with 3 coatings of hairspray. 

Hairspray......?    3 coats..........?  Wacko   Please do not tell me you also use some old underwear to rub it on too?   lol 

Get that stuff off your blade and seal it properly with a product designed to seal wood, hot human hair.  I have excellent results with a thin layer of Minwax lacquer applied by a brush, then quickly wiped off with a clean cloth.   I have never needed to sand afterwords as well.   Also, 50lb weight....wow.  3-5lb would of been enough.  LOL   Good luck. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike_wayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2011 at 12:51am
As of now, after 3 hours of play, the rubber is still holding fine on the blade. I think, sanding was the key issue behind all this.
Will let you know what happens after 2-3 sessions..!!
dudeencorenumb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dudeencorenumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 3:45pm

Use PSA glue sheet .

Make your life easier with table tennis glue sheets. It has the same use as the regular table tennis glue, but more easier and clean.

IndiaTableTennis.com
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by mike_wayne mike_wayne wrote:

As of now, after 3 hours of play, the rubber is still holding fine on the blade. I think, sanding was the key issue behind all this.
Will let you know what happens after 2-3 sessions..!!

Clap happened to me before :D
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 8:39pm
It happens to the best of them, especially when tuning with petrol or whatever they use to get this much tension on the rubber

Edited by bluebucket - 06/17/2011 at 8:40pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic