Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'Chinese looping' before China....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Chinese looping' before China....
    Posted: 06/16/2011 at 5:35pm
Tibor Klampar showing the basics of the 'Chinese looping technique' that the Hungarians developed 20 yrs before the Chinese coaches thought of it,( copied it) aided by Gabor Gergely and the master looper himself, the ultimate straight arm looper, Istvan Jonyer.

The Older I get, The better I was.
Sponsored Links

roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2011 at 5:43pm
You are missing the point, my friend... Nobody said the Chinese "invented" Chinese looping.  Wink

We are saying that the Chinese are the only ones who are still practicing (and further perfecting) this looping technique today, so it is indeed "Chinese" looping as no other country's players are doing it.  LOL

*Seems like you have a real beef with us calling it "Chinese" style looping... What should we call it then?  Smile  (At any rate it's only semantics, as it is a fact that only Chinese players loop this way at world class level today...)
Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2011 at 5:58pm
Had a similar fight against my camera lens a while ago XD

Member of Wang Hao fan club.

Hurricane Hao III
FH: Thors
RPB: Omega Pro
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2011 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

You are missing the point, my friend... Nobody said the Chinese "invented" Chinese looping.  Wink

We are saying that the Chinese are the only ones who are still practicing (and further perfecting) this looping technique today, so it is indeed "Chinese" looping as no other country's players are doing it.  LOL

*Seems like you have a real beef with us calling it "Chinese" style looping... What should we call it then?  Smile  (At any rate it's only semantics, as it is a fact that only Chinese players loop this way at world class level today...)
 There is no 'point'... just that through the many threads on MYTT, there seems to be some kind of Myth that there is a Euro 'chicken wing' style, and a Chinese 'straight arm style' I'm just showing that that this is not true, what i've always said is that a loop is a loop, and I just like to defend the fact that there is a myth that the 'mystical' Chinese coaches came up with the straight arm loop style.  I do agree that they modified it to great effect, but these guys on this tape, along with Dragutin Surbeck, were the farthers of it, the Chinese did not invent it. There is nopt IMO a distinction, at less than international levels I and many players I know and play with play a looping style like these guys, the 'chicken wing' Euro style, which seems top be looked upon with much distain on this forum, is derived from Gatien, and comes from a totally different era, the fact that players such as Timo Boll employ it is just so negligable to a players standard, after all, its just the hammer shot that puts the ball away, the rally is won before4 that on a percentage basis.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2011 at 7:43pm
Another valied point could be that we don't necessary have to copy the Chinese players and what they do, we can look for further improvements in the game, by not being afraid to do something unconventional.

Cause, if all we do is trying to copy the Chinese players, both in style and practice, I think we will find our self being beaten by them for a very long time. They have perfected their style and we need to come up with something to disrupt that perfection.
The holy grail
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2011 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

Another valied point could be that we don't necessary have to copy the Chinese players and what they do, we can look for further improvements in the game, by not being afraid to do something unconventional.

Cause, if all we do is trying to copy the Chinese players, both in style and practice, I think we will find our self being beaten by them for a very long time. They have perfected their style and we need to come up with something to disrupt that perfection.

Well said Speedplay, even in USA, you guys should not be so beholden to China, play YOUR way, invent the USA style of play, much like your most successful players of recent times, Eric Boggan and Dan Seemillar, anyone like to tell what Chinese style those guys copied?

I think that the norm in USA is that TT is most popular with Chinese orientated ethnic  people, which incidentally forms most of this forum, and those guys are totally in awe of China, I cant blame them , I am. But I do think it blinkeres them slightly.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2011 at 8:19pm
no disrespect to danny or eric but hidden rubber before the two color rule was dumber and even more game breaking than hidden service.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2011 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

no disrespect to danny or eric but hidden rubber before the two color rule was dumber and even more game breaking than hidden service.
Dissagree, not dumber.
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2011 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

[...there seems to be some kind of Myth that there is a Euro 'chicken wing' style, and a Chinese 'straight arm style' I'm just showing that that this is not true, what i've always said is that a loop is a loop, and I just like to defend the fact that there is a myth that the 'mystical' Chinese coaches came up with the straight arm loop style. ...

There are many instructional articles that supposedly explain how the "Chinese" loop is executed. Most of them describe very counter-intuitive arm movements that challenge common sense. Some think these articles are mostly nonsense, while others preach them and testify that they loop exactly as the articles describe. I think this is another source of the Chinese mysticism.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2011 at 10:11pm

Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Dissagree, not dumber.

I maintain my position if for no other reason than the 2001(?) WTTC final between liu and waldner. Two service masters playing an epic match.

However I would concede that at an amateur and intermediate level hidden serves we're more pervasive and therefore more disruptive than tricky rubber.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 12:54am

When i think of the straight arm loop, I think of the hungarians. I don't think of the chinese.

I know a few people think of the  chinese loop as nothing more than straight arm looping. But they don't do that all the time, just like you will see all kinds of europeans straight arming the ball occasionally too. I think the straight arm is associated because Chinese rely on 3rd ball attacking more than europeans do, and when you go for a 3rd ball you want as much on it as you can and that's why you use a straight arm. Some do it more than others.... like chen qi. Ma Lin's 3rd ball is straight arm too, but the rest of the time all of the chinese are snapping their elbow which is a very basic thing. I think kreanga straight arm loops more than any of the chinese do. I think there are small technical things that the chinese do in their looping that are different from generally what europeans are doing (all this considered top level professionals when considering the comparisons) but I more agree with the fact that looping is looping. I think the fact that chinese are looping more effectively is because they are more disciplined in their technique. They use proper technique and body mechanics and footwork more of the time compared to the europeans, while european players will more alter their form in order to make a shot, making more shots from off balance positions. I think even waldner said something like that when he compared chinese technique to european technique in that interview.

I wouldn't say the chinese looping differently is a myth, but at the same time It's not nearly as huge of a technical difference as a lot of people act like it is. Not completely what I think but I bet a good deal of it is that they use a different general kind of forehand rubber and hit the ball a bit different just because of how different their rubber is.

Edited by beeray1 - 06/17/2011 at 12:56am
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 12:58am
Also, i think about people like Ryu Seung Min who you think of as doing it a lot. He's not chinese. He doesn't even use chinese rubber. He uses tenergy. But again, it has more to do with his 3rd ball game than anything else.
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 1:38am
The current main players that open their arm to loop are the chinese and Kreanga. The more Forehand snap, the straighter the arm becomes; like Hao Shuai's technique. Some open their arms more than others and some open their arms depending on the situation. A lot of the chinese players have many types of strokes to fit the situation. A majority of european players do not have this bigger stroke like Waldner had. And I'm not sure if it would be beneficial to change, but no one is teaching the europeans to loop like that. Europeans are apparently stronger than the chinese according to them, so they have the power and use the more smaller strokes. But I'm curious if Europeans can develop more players with the bigger swing, we would have more exciting to watch players like Kreanga, even if they don't use chinese rubber. 

Edited by kenneyy88 - 06/17/2011 at 1:46am
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 3:36am
Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

Europeans are apparently stronger than the chinese according to them, so they have the power and use the more smaller strokes.

There was this interview in another thread that mentioned both ZJK and WLQ can benchpress well over 200 pounds. I believe WLQ can, because he's a fitness fanatic and hits the weights regularly. I have to see ZJK do it to believe it.

Ma Lin is a bit on the pudgy side compared to his teammates. Ma Long looks quite fit and I think he's pretty strong too. Wang Hao looks quite stocky. Chen Qi and Hao Shuai look relatively more slight. Nevertheless, they all have very muscular legs.

Which top European players do you guys think can bench over 200 pounds?
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 6:33am
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

Which top European players do you guys think can bench over 200 pounds?

Probably a lot, gotta ask them if you wanna find out. Not a lot of videos on pro european physical training. Closest thing is the tibhar training video to see what kinda exercises they do. 

Edited by kenneyy88 - 06/17/2011 at 6:35am
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 8:11am
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

When i think of the straight arm loop, I think of the hungarians. I don't think of the chinese.

You must be old Smile.
bonggoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonggoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 10:32am
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

Europeans are apparently stronger than the chinese according to them, so they have the power and use the more smaller strokes.
There was this interview in another thread that mentioned both ZJK and WLQ can benchpress well over 200 pounds. I believe WLQ can, because he's a fitness fanatic and hits the weights regularly. I have to see ZJK do it to believe it.Ma Lin is a bit on the pudgy side compared to his teammates. Ma Long looks quite fit and I think he's pretty strong too. Wang Hao looks quite stocky. Chen Qi and Hao Shuai look relatively more slight. Nevertheless, they all have very muscular legs.Which top European players do you guys think can bench over 200 pounds?

I remember seeing an interview of WLQ in his prime, right after he benched a staggering, 95 lbs. :D
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 4:32pm
the hanging balls style... i perfected that style...

its when you play w/ boxers 
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 10:12pm
I'm benching 22oz right now, straight arm.  Won't help my game.

My coach played in the bundesliga in the 80s and early 90s and references the hungarians.  He trains us to open (our arm) depending on the distance from the table and time to make the shot.

I think the fuel for a lot of these myths, at least on the forum, is the article that discusses the "chinese loop" (stressing the quotes) and describes closing the paddle on contact, holding the ball on the rubber etc.  I haven't seen any other proponents of this approach and find it hard to believe that someone would *consciously* train this technique of hitting.

Take counterlooping.  I'm no authority, but a few key points: abs + core snapping, forearm snap, WRIST snap - look at the translations of the ma long article in tt world for some of this.  THIS is european, albeit in a very different context.  That said, even for low level players, the counter loop is a game changer.  So its best to not interpret these things in black and white.

For loop style, actually I think Chen Qi has a lot of forearm snap.  Qiu Yike looks "european" in his form but takes the ball very early.  Just two examples that blur the line, if it even exists, between european and chinese.

The bottom line: Play the best shot, weighing the balance between consistency according to your skill and difficulty to your opponent, under the circumstances. 

chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 10:47pm
A novel shot (in the current generation) as far as I can tell, that I haven't seen in the technique of any players previous - against half long balls, the footwork propels the body FORWARD past the edge of the table.  The intent, besides power, is _reliability_ - using the arm, the player can compensate for misreads in depth of the ball.  You'll see this for loop-kills from the backhand corner where the player finishes half-depth on the backhand side, the assumption being, the opponent has no chance of returning the ball.  A perfect example, and I am very curious to see a clip before the 2000s showing something remotely resembling it: 1:00 minutes here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-8ECXb9n9w

For an intermediate player there is absolutely nothing wrong with developing a shot like this, because it provides *RELIABILITY*

Another, dare I call it "modern" example is the backhand opening against short and mid long balls.  It's all over the clip I included, and it harkens back to the chiquita-spin backhand of old.  But there is something new here: the elbow is out, the backhand face is COMPLETELY HORIZONTAL to the surface of the table, the motion is driven by the FOREARM, not the wrist, and not by *touch*.  Show me an older clip that mimics this technique.  The emphasis here is 1) POWER (because the forearm is used)  2) RELIABILITY (because the stroke is effective, with minor adjustment, against half-long side underspin, side topspin, and no-spin balls).  Racket speed, with modern equipment, can overcome a range of spins from minor underspin to minor topspin.  This changes the game.

Other players hit this shot with a lot of feeling but you can see in the current generation of chinese players, as just one example, this shot played with a maximum of power, and a minimum of risk, it is not about touch at least in terms of the major components - No, you absolutely don't have to be waldner to play this shot, and honestly in a few multiball sessions with someone who understands it you can use it to your own benefit.  It is effective too at lower levels with training, a modicum of talent, a minimum of feeling, a lot of motivation, and hopefully not a susceptibility to tennis elbow.  That is genuine evolution of the sport but I'm happy to hear otherwise here.

Edited by chronos - 06/17/2011 at 11:02pm
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2011 at 10:56pm
To sum up: Yes there is nothing new under the sun, but I think there are aspects of the modern game that VISUALLY SPEAKING cannot be seen in anything but clips from the most recent players, and I speculate that this is NOT accidental.
smithy000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithy000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2011 at 1:50am
I like chine open.
lu1648 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lu1648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2011 at 12:24pm
i am chinese~ and i hope i have a "chinese" stroke... lols

the thing is as long as a stroke is natural it is a good stroke whether it's coined chinese or european style. everyone have a different height and size so everyone's strokes are different. one's body really dictates what's natural for him or her so there's no real difference in the stroke. there is a different at the timing and angle one hits the ball and chinese (or most asian) ppl have strokes that start and finish with one motion while europeans have more obvious recoil on their body. that difference translates to where and when they hit the ball so visually their strokes look difference.

just my opinion, feel free to disagree and give thoughts~
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2011 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by lu1648 lu1648 wrote:

i am chinese~ and i hope i have a "chinese" stroke... lols
the thing is as long as a stroke is natural it is a good stroke whether it's coined chinese or european style. everyone have a different height and size so everyone's strokes are different. one's body really dictates what's natural for him or her so there's no real difference in the stroke. there is a different at the timing and angle one hits the ball and chinese (or most asian) ppl have strokes that start and finish with one motion while europeans have more obvious recoil on their body. that difference translates to where and when they hit the ball so visually their strokes look difference.
just my opinion, feel free to disagree and give thoughts~

+1

High quality post.
The holy grail
swampthing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swampthing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2011 at 3:59pm
This is just my hypothesis:

I think the loop style is a byproduct of equipment type that is in use.

A straighter, more extended arm (Chinese) loop results from using a tackier surfaced rubber.  From my experience, this is because a greater racket speed is required to loop a backspin ball with a tacky rubber.  

The greater racket speed is achieved more easily by making a longer radius from the point of pivot. That is, the radius is greater from shoulder to racket than the radius from elbow to racket which makes the arc length longer and results in a greater racket head speed at the same rate of angle change as the first demo on this page: http://colalg.math.csusb.edu/~devel/precalcdemo/circtrig/src/srandtheta.html

A less-tacky, European/Japanese, 'grippy' rubber facilitates an easier execution of a short arm loop.

Just thinking out loud.

Xiom Zetro Quad: FH: Hexer HD, BH: Hexer HD
Galaxy K-4: Tibhar Nimbus Medium, Palio Blitz
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2011 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by swampthing swampthing wrote:

I think the loop style is a byproduct of equipment type that is in use

Yes!!! at last, the voice of reality.
Krantz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2011 at 9:25pm

Originally posted by swampthing swampthing wrote:

I think the loop style is a byproduct of equipment type that is in use

Yes!!! at last, the voice of reality.

I don’t get it: sometimes you do agree that there are different looping styles, and sometimes you say that ‘a loop is a loop’. You say that ‘chinese looping’ originated in Hungary - and then you say that it developed because of tacky Chinese rubbers. Personally I hear the voice of reality in roundrobin’s post here…
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2011 at 10:11pm
he was being sarcastic........

Edited by beeray1 - 06/18/2011 at 10:20pm
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2011 at 3:31am
To be honest, when I learned to loop, I did not know anything about euro vs. chinese looping.  What I know is I just practice the way I feel comfortable doing it.  It turns out that my looping is more like chinese looping (open arm, and not chicken wing style) and I don't use chinese rubbers !!!  So it's not equipment dependence. 

Second, I loop always with open arm, but on certain occasion when I got caught off guard (ball too close to my body) and could not move fast, I looped the ball with closed arm and the spin was still there.  So I guess open arm looping players still can loop chicken wing style.  No problems at all.

I think that we must stop arguing which one is better.  I play TT to enjoy it, not to over-analyze it.

Edited by doraemon - 06/20/2011 at 3:32am
swampthing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swampthing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2011 at 3:56am
Who started what and why does not really concern me.  I was just brainstorming on what influences the use of a more straight arm loop and how it is currently often correlated with the Chinese players.  The major factors are a persons' racket and body.  

Any implied assertion of sole dependence on a single factor is an error on my part.  The truth is probably in a mixture of variables (equipment, arm length, muscle acceleration,  training, etc) that allows a person to achieve the loop shot per situation.

I think this angle of debate is healthy, in that we might be able to learn more about the physics of the game and hopefully establish a guide to or understanding of how we each may become more consistent.

Xiom Zetro Quad: FH: Hexer HD, BH: Hexer HD
Galaxy K-4: Tibhar Nimbus Medium, Palio Blitz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic