Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yasaka Rakza 7 soft

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yasaka Rakza 7 soft
    Posted: 06/21/2011 at 11:16pm

Some background:
I was attacking player just two years ago ( I could play quite a powerful spins even with Hurricane II unglued (provincial version))
However, for last two years I am totally out of normal practice and regular physical activity. I only play occasionally, not more than once a week.

Anyway, I just felt that Tenergy05 at the moment is too technically requiring for me. I needed something more simple/forgiving.

From what I read I EXPECT Yasaka Rakza 7 to be just what i need:

- it is durable.
- Natural rubber will feel a bit like "old times" (when the choice was "Yasaka mark V or Butterfly Sriver").
- Relatively high angle but lower than Tenergy (so more forgiving on counterloops)
- Medium hardness of sponge (even though on Dandoy it says it is Hard)))) --> easier to smash.
- good grip (thanks to natural rubber) so I will be comfortable in short game if I am not ready to attack all the time.

Edited by iakovka - 07/10/2011 at 11:50pm

XIOM ZX1 Feel 85 Gr, FH: XIOM Omega VII Pro, BH: Rakza 7 Soft 2MM
XIOM ZXI 88 Gr, FH: XIOM Omega V Tour, BH: Rakza Soft 7 2MM
Sponsored Links

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 11:22pm
I love it. The durability is the best I've had so far.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2011 at 1:02am
Well, yesterday I've experimented with my 8 month old Tenergy05. I put Donic booster booster on it.
Maybe I did not wait enough time but the result was just terrible.
The rubber lost all feeling.
It got some extra speed but almost 0 spin. It felt just like playing with short uncontrollable pips. 
The funny thing is that it was really confusing some of my opponents who got used to my relatively spinny topspin.
Anyway, my point is - when Tenergy is dead, IT IS JUST DEAD. Nothing will help. You can get 15% out of it.
I don't know but I remember some rubbers from "previous generation" could play 60% even after several years.

Edited by iakovka - 06/23/2011 at 1:03am

Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2011 at 9:09pm
My experience with tenergy is that the rubber produces great spin only when applying great force. Other shots come off the rubber as if its flat. It retains the power, but the spin is very much absent.

Rakza 7 is a lot more predictable in that regard. If you want more spin in your shots, Soft version is better than regular rakza 7.
Back to table tennis...
iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2011 at 12:00am
Uff. i hate it. The post office in Canada is on Strike!
I hope i get it somehow on time

pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2011 at 1:35am
I have T05, Rakza 7 1.8mm Rakza 7 Soft 1.8mm and Rakza 7 Soft Max.   The T05 is the spiniest even though my T05 is almost a year older.  Today I played poorly but the opponent that beat me told me he was trying to keep the ball away from the T05 on my FH because my topspins would jump out at him can give him trouble or go below his paddle.

Rakza 7 and Rakza 7 soft are good rubbers though but I find the soft max to be a little too soft.  Rakza 7 1.8mm is better than Mark V at any thickness.  Rakza 7 1.8mm can generate the spin and speed that matches or exceeds Mark V at any thickness but also allows one the extra feel because it is thin.   I have Mark V max too but it feels lifeless compared to Rakza anything.

One must remember that the thicker the sponge the softer the sponge will be even if the sponge is made of the same material.

iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2011 at 8:46pm
Thank you for your review.
I am still waiting for my rubbers because of the strike of the Post Office 

RRR, hate it. My Tenergy is dead and I need the replacement )

BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2011 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by iakovka iakovka wrote:

I was attacking player just two years ago ( I could play quite a powerful spins even with Hurricane II unglued (provincial version))
However, for last two years I am totally out of normal practice and regular physical activity. I only play occasionally, not more than once a week.
So, something bad started to happen to my spin (probably about half a year ago). Something is disconnected between footwork and hands. And this spin is 85% of my game.

Anyway, I just felt that Tenergy05 at the moment is too technically requiring for me. I need something more simple/forgiving to work on my spins.

From what I read I EXPECT Yasaka Rakza 7 to be just what i need:

- it is durable.
- Natural rubber will feel a bit like "old times" (when the choice was "Yasaka mark V or Butterfly Sriver").
- Relatively high angle but lower than Tenergy (so more forgiving on counterloops)
- Medium hardness of sponge (even though on Dandoy it says it is Hard)))) --> easier to smash.
- good grip (thanks to natural rubber) so I will be comfortable in short game if I am not ready to attack all the time.

Any comments guys?

Rakza 7 Soft version, at least in my opinion, is the best subsitute for speed-glued Japenese type tacky rubbers example: Tackifire Special Soft or Juic 999 Elite Ultima SV.  I also tried regular Rakza 7 but I thought it made my racket too head-heavy so I sold it after only a couple of sessions.  There was a good thread about R7S which includes my findings.

Here are a few things that are stuck in my mind about R7S:
1.  Great power.  Also, nice click!
2.  Not so easy to do slow, high arc, heavy topspin loops.  Same for out of position or slower recovery loops. (This depends on each player of course.)
3.  You must use water based glue.

Hope that helps.

Edited by BeaverMD - 07/05/2011 at 1:46pm
iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2011 at 12:53am
Thank you

shaolinTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaolinTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2011 at 12:56am
The mail is very very very slow here on the west coast. 
iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2011 at 1:04am
BeaverMD, may I ask you?
Do you think I Can use rubber cement to glue this one?

riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2011 at 1:07am
Rakza 7 Soft is very soft and spin is very good, due to sponge softness does need a hard blade to get the best out me it so should play very well with the blade you use.
Stratus Powerwood
FH T05
BH T25
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2011 at 1:42am
I use Elmer's rubber cement to glue my Rakza 7 rubbers.  I mix and match the 3 different Rakza 7 rubbers on my two Samonov Alphas.  Each rubber has been mounted and dismounted at least twice since I got them.  Some of the other rubbers I have expand and some shrink.  I haven't noticed either with the Rakza 7.

I am really liking Rakza 7 1.8mm for my aggressive blocking and flat hitting game.  I can still get enough top spin for loops close to the table if necessary.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2011 at 9:16am

BeaverMD, may I ask you?

You certainly can if you use light coats but I don't recommend it.  First, the texture of the R7 Soft sponge is like sandpaper.  Rubber cement, which contains VOCs, does not stick to it well especially on the edges.  As a matter of fact, after just a few coats of rubber cement build up, you can roll off the residue off of the sponge which is not such a bad thing.  This is the case with Roundell also in case anyone wants to know.  Second, I'm just going by feel and not scientific evidence, but it seems to affect the performance of the rubber.  When the VOC glue comes in contact with the sponge, it appears to crystallize and makes the sponge feel "crunchier".  Maybe it's caused by the VOCs expanding an already tensioned sponge.  Not sure.  Even after peeling the glue residue, the sponge may or may not go back to its original condition.  Anyway, if you want to see what I mean, put some rubber cement on the corner of a new sheet.  Good luck.
Stoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2011 at 12:57pm
If anyone has played with Blitz please make a comparison.
iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2011 at 2:54am
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

BeaverMD, may I ask you?

You certainly can if you use light coats but I don't recommend it.  First, the texture of the R7 Soft sponge is like sandpaper.  Rubber cement, which contains VOCs, does not stick to it well especially on the edges.  As a matter of fact, after just a few coats of rubber cement build up, you can roll off the residue off of the sponge which is not such a bad thing.  This is the case with Roundell also in case anyone wants to know.  Second, I'm just going by feel and not scientific evidence, but it seems to affect the performance of the rubber.  When the VOC glue comes in contact with the sponge, it appears to crystallize and makes the sponge feel "crunchier".  Maybe it's caused by the VOCs expanding an already tensioned sponge.  Not sure.  Even after peeling the glue residue, the sponge may or may not go back to its original condition.  Anyway, if you want to see what I mean, put some rubber cement on the corner of a new sheet.  Good luck.

Iv'e finally received my rubbers. Waiting to try it out.

Somehow, I had very bad experience with Water based glue. 
I think the last one was Tibhar and it was such a mess and then I switched to Rubber cement.
 At least for Tenergy I did not feel the difference but I was putting really thin layer and waited about an hour for the remainder of VOC to evaporate.

Andro water based glue was OK, but I did not feel it has any advantage over rubber cement.

Edited by iakovka - 07/08/2011 at 2:58am

iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2011 at 12:07am
First Impression (after 2 hours of practice):

- Slower than Tenergy05.
- Lower catapult. 
- Significantly more controllable than Tenergy, especially when it comes to short game. (usually it takes me at least 2-3 practices to get adjusted to new rubber especially flips and "empty short chops". Here, by the end of the practice It was mostly in to the table. Some work is still required)
- Smash is very good. Definetely better than Tenergy.
- Counter looping is more pleasant and powerful with Tenergy05 but Rakza Soft is more forgiving in terms of getting right to the the ball.
- Spin on chop. Win for Tenergy.
- Serves - (not sure yet)
- Returning serves  - Rakza is much better here!
- Spin on block. No preference here.  It is very pleasant to spin with Rakza. The trajectory is lower than Tenergy but it is not more predictable for the opponent. 
- I don't have final conclusion about the block on spin and other elements. 

- In general, the rubber is much more predictable and more forgiving. Less powerful than tenergy.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2011 at 9:09pm
Rakza 7 soft is waaaaaaay better for blocking than tenergy 05.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
bagung View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2011 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

+1
TB ZLC, Innerforce ZLC, HK3, HH3, HL2 Cpen......
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2011 at 9:39am

- Slower than Tenergy05.
- Lower catapult. 
- Significantly more controllable than Tenergy, especially when it comes to short game. (usually it takes me at least 2-3 practices to get adjusted to new rubber especially flips and "empty short chops". Here, by the end of the practice It was mostly in to the table. Some work is still required)
- Counter looping is more pleasant and powerful with Tenergy05 but Rakza Soft is more forgiving in terms of getting right to the the ball.
- Spin on block. No preference here.  It is very pleasant to spin with Rakza. The trajectory is lower than Tenergy but it is not more predictable for the opponent. 

- In general, the rubber is much more predictable and more forgiving. Less powerful than tenergy.

Are you using it with your TBS? It's not as responsive as when you put it on a stiffer wood blade (but not too stiff like Primorac Carbon).  Clipper or Andro OFF+ blades come to mind.  What made me choose R7S over T05 FX was definitely the better service return.  If I can't even do that, what's the point of having a more powerful rubber?
iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2011 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

- Slower than Tenergy05.

- Lower catapult. 

Are you using it with your TBS? It's not as responsive as when you put it on a stiffer wood blade (but not too stiff like Primorac Carbon).  Clipper or Andro OFF+ blades come to mind.  What made me choose R7S over T05 FX was definitely the better service return.  If I can't even do that, what's the point of having a more powerful rubber?

Well. Timo Ball is definetely not a soft wood ether but I think I agree - I would expect it to play even better on something stiffer.
The thing is I cant ignore my backhand when I choose the blade. Off+ will be too much for me

pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2011 at 3:33pm

-1.  I can block with T05 just fine.  I have 3 Rakza sheets for comparison.  Skill is more important than rubber when blocking.

Edited by pnachtwey - 07/12/2011 at 3:33pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2011 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

-1.  I can block with T05 just fine.  I have 3 Rakza sheets for comparison.  Skill is more important than rubber when blocking.

What are you talking about!? I never said skill doesn't factor in. Kenta Matsudaira is a top class blocker and uses tenergy 05. However, to think that tenergy 05 is better for blocking than rakza 7/soft (among MANY other rubbers) is kind of an ignorant thing to say.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2011 at 7:56pm
When/where did I say that T05 blocks better?  I don't think the rubber has much to do with it.   I can block with both T05, Rakza 7 regular or soft,  Red Diamond or Reflectoid equally well. The limiting factor is me not the rubber.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2011 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

When/where did I say that T05 blocks better?  I don't think the rubber has much to do with it.   I can block with both T05, Rakza 7 regular or soft,  Red Diamond or Reflectoid equally well. The limiting factor is me not the rubber.

So are you saying that blocking with reflectoid is equally as easy as blocking with tenergy 05?
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2011 at 1:35am
I objected to your statement about Rakza being way better for blocking.
I didn't say anything about being way easier.
I know it isn't at first and you should know by now I am a big Reflectoid fan.
I don't know who Kenta Matsudaira is but if Rakza is waaaayy better than why doesn't Kenta Matsudaira use Rakza instead of T05?  Maybe Kenta has a different opinion than you because he can handle T05 better than you can handle the Rakza, Red Diamond or Reflectoid.  Play with T05 for year or two and do some blocking for some good loopers, not the guys you show in the videos.  Then you will see that you can block with T05 as easily as anything else.  It just takes practice and skill.  It isn't the rubber dude, it is the player.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2011 at 11:51am
You seem to avoid reading the things that I type. I KNOW IT'S THE PLAYER AND I KNOW YOU CAN BLOCK WITH ANY RUBBER EQUALLY. However the post you made earlier implies that tenergy 05 is easier to block with with than reflectoid or rakza. If a rubber is easier to block with then it is a better blocking rubber. Tenergy 05 is a more powerful rubber than rakza so that's why kenta uses it. Please don't step around my comments and make it seem like I am saying one thing instead of another.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2011 at 3:13pm

I tend to agree in this argument with GeneralSpecific.

You can block with anything but there are certain things that make blocking easier (by the way pnachtwey,  “easier” is not equal to “hardest for the opponent”. Some pros can choose more sophisticated rubber because they want to complicate life for the opponents and not because it is the easiest rubber to block with.)

Never mind. Coming back to the original discussion:

I played yesterday again and have few more conclusions.

-          Not super strong spin on first chop. It is hard to kill. So, If you like to win points with one-first spin it is probably not your rubber.

-          Very controllable on Spin on Spin rallies, especially when it comes to situations when you have to slow down the rally (to do half spin or half-smash instead of going full power).

-          Short game – still working on it.

-          Serves. Seems like it is not better than tenergy. (not final).

-          Block and smash close and far from the table are just pleasure. Unlike Tenergy it does not have high curve so it goes directly to the place you want it to. This rubber also less sensible to coming spin so in the moment of blocking one has much more open blade meeting the ball à less chances to put wrong angle or miss the ball.

Edited by iakovka - 07/13/2011 at 3:35pm

ucsmfu25 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ucsmfu25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2011 at 11:13pm
how is this rubber compared to the stiga calibra lt sound ??
iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2011 at 9:36am
got used to it.

- Very consistent
- Spin on chop is strong enough and the trajectory is not too high to be convenient for the opponent.
- Spin on Spin, I got used to it now - very stable.
- block and smesh is definetely big advantage on Tenergy etc.
- short game is OK in spite of the fact this rubber supposed to be half-tensor
Negative:
It is definetely not slow, but after playing Tenergy, I would like it to be just a bit faster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic