Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My DIY Recycling Catch Net Log V1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
RyKnocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My DIY Recycling Catch Net Log V1
    Posted: 06/23/2011 at 4:16pm

Hey everyone,

A few weeks ago I purchased a Newgy 1050 to train my strokes.  Because I'm using this in my garage, practicing without a net would be a pain because I'd have to dig balls out of the crevices of my garage.  I could have purchased a simple catch net or made one out of PVC pipe like everyone else, but I wanted the recycling feature and the cost of the Newgy recycling net was far out of the question.  On top of that, there's something very fun and fulfilling about making something yourself.  So here's my current version of a catch net.  This catch net will continue to be updated as time and money allows, so I hope you have fun keeping up to date with it and I hope it inspires some of you guys to build one of your own and improve on what I've already done.

The first couple of pictures show the Newgy with the base of the catch net.  As you can see, I've made it so the top of the Newgy bucket lines up with the top of the table.

The next couple of shots shows the installation of the catch boards.  I installed the boards on hinges so that they could fold up for storage like the Newgy recycling net does.  To angle the boards upwards, I installed two screws on each side that I could screw in and out and use them as leverage to prop the catch boards at proper angles.  The current boards are about 9 inches in width.

The next few pictures shows the full beta version of the catch net.  The net itself is just a cut up bed sheet held together with safety pins.  There are 4 panels all in all (main back panel, top, and two side panels).  I plan on cutting up some of the remaining bed sheets to and use them as side nets.  Also shown in the pictures is the frame work, using PVC pipe, that forms the square shape of the catch net.  These also pivot upwards with the catch panels for upright storage.  I've also stapled foam padding to the catch boards to soften the bounce of the balls when they drop.

Modifications Needed To Be Made:

- Extend the width of the catch boards to 12" instead of 9".

- Replace Bed Sheet with actual netting

- Paint wooden base and PVC pipes

- Develop Side Nets

- Increase the distance between the net and the PVC Pipes

Total Cost of Materials (Not including power tools I already had): $80

Hope you guys enjoy my DIY project.  I'll have video up of me using this soon.  If you have any suggestions or comments, please feel free to post them.  I could use all the help I can get :)

Edited by RyKnocks - 06/23/2011 at 6:11pm
BTY Viscaria: FH Black Battle II / BH Red 802-40 2.0mm

Galaxy W-6: FH: FH/BH Yinhe Big Dipper 38*
Sponsored Links

RyKnocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2011 at 4:17pm
Reserved For Future Updates

RyKnocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2011 at 4:18pm
Reserved

pushchop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pushchop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2011 at 4:27pm
Nice DIY!  The only thing I'd mention is the fabric on back of net needs to be very loose to absorb the ball speed and drop properly into funnel, otherwise harder hits will rebound back onto table.
RyKnocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2011 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by pushchop pushchop wrote:

Nice DIY!  The only thing I'd mention is the fabric on back of net needs to be very loose to absorb the ball speed and drop properly into funnel, otherwise harder hits will rebound back onto table.

Funny you mention that.  Before I cut up the bed sheet, I used some bird netting that I purchased from Home Depot.  First off, that stuff is a nightmare to unroll and organize.  Secondly, the netting was so elastic (it was plastic), that no matter how loose it was, it would rebound halfway across the table.  This bed sheet absorbs way better and doesn't really have a problem with power hits, and ones that do rebound too far are ones that either bouce off the PVC pipe through the fabric or they fall just along the edge of the table.  That's why I want to extend the panels to 12" rather than the 9" that it's currently at.

flyingmachine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2011 at 5:16pm
very cool, beats the bulky PVC tube setup I had.  Will definitely give your design a try on my next setup.
Ma Lin Soft Carbon: FH: H3 NEO, BH: Red Diamond

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38328&PID=471847#471847
pablogilberto View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pablogilberto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2011 at 5:24pm
thing of beauty!
RyKnocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2011 at 6:19pm
Just played with the setup for about an hour.  Three things definitely need to be done to make this enjoyable:

1) Develop Side Nets: Too many balls fall off the side of the table

2) Extend the distance between the net and the PVC pipes:  A lot of balls bounce off the PVC pipe and ricochet out pretty hard.  So I'm going to extend the distance of those pipes from the net and possibly cover them in foam pipe cover (stuff used to cover pipes so they don't freeze) to pad the bounce.

3) The 9" wide side panels seem a little too narrow.  Balls are still catching the edge of the table by 1"-2" after they rebound off the net, so increasing the width of the side panels to maybe 12" would help.

I think I'm also going decrease the height of the net is about 30" from the table top and balls aren't reaching the top to rebound back down.  So decreasing the height to maybe 24" will help that.

RyKnocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2011 at 6:22pm
Is there anyone here with a Newgy 2040 or 2050?  Would you mind measuring how deep the net goes (distance from edge of the table to back of the net) and the height of the net ( distance from table top to the top of the net).  That would really help my project.

Edit: Nevermind, found them on the megaspin.net product page.  For those of you wondering:

Length: 60"
Depth: 18"
Height: 31"

So it looks like my height might be okay, but I definitely need more depth.

Edited by RyKnocks - 06/23/2011 at 6:25pm

rick_ys_ho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rick_ys_ho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2011 at 2:27am
What I have done to my 1050:

RyKnocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2011 at 6:09am
Originally posted by rick_ys_ho rick_ys_ho wrote:

What I have done to my 1050:

That's dope!  Do balls ever rebound out of the net and back onto the table?  I definitely need side nets for my setup.

ttennis1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttennis1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2011 at 12:51am
@RyKnocks,

It has been quite some time since you have updated the Catch Net design.

Your Robot is quite mobile & so will be the the Catch & side nets.

Give us some updates if you are not too busy.
Butterfly Primorac (OFF-)
FH:Yasaka Mark-V (max)
BH:Butterfly Flextra (1.5)
Brahms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brahms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2011 at 4:29am
Very clever and smart ! 
Blade : Aero off+ soft carbon

FH : Tuttle 888 Extraterrestrial 2.2mm
BH : Dr Neubauer Killer Pro 1.8mm
yylik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yylik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2011 at 11:43am
Bravo. Environment friendly creation.
Addicted-to-TT View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Addicted-to-TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2011 at 8:20pm
My weekend project....leftover cardboard, 10x10 tarp and some duct tape. The catch basin is 19"x 5"x width of table. Added some ramps from the outer edge to funnel the balls to the center. Can't believe how well it works. The only balls bouncing out are the miss hits. Added the sheets on the sides to prevent balls going every where.....I hate crawing under crap to retrieve balls. Should of done it sooner. This thread gave me the idea....Thanks! Pics are not that good.....ill get better ones and vid soon.

Sanwei
BH acuda s2
FH te 05

Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Addicted-to-TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2011 at 8:52pm
Thanks fatt.....I'm pretty proud of it and how much money I saved. It was a good weekend....also made a ball picker out of the bad mitten racket. I spent 5 bucks on it. Again, thanks to this forum for the idea. 

Edited by Addicted-to-TT - 07/17/2011 at 8:54pm
Sanwei
BH acuda s2
FH te 05

joebulatao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joebulatao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2011 at 1:07am
Here is my version of a newgy recycling and ball catcher made from a laundry hamper and two ball picker uppers. I want to sharing my ideas with everyone.

RyKnocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2011 at 4:26pm
What's up everyone.  

Sorry I haven't posted in this thread for a while, but here are some updates that I've done so far.

1) Increased the depth of the catch boards from 9" to 12"
2) Increased the depth of the framing so that when the balls bounce into the fabric they don't hit the PCV pipe (was causing some major rebounding).
3) Did away with the cut up bed sheet and purchased a 9'x12' drop canvas.  I've cut out all the panels and am now lining the edges with gorilla tape to make it more sturdy.  I ran out of tape after just lining the back panel so I gotta go get more.
4) Installed some makeshift railings onto the sides of the catch boards so that the balls don't roll back onto the table.
5) Decreased the height of the entire unit by 1 inch.  This allows me to set the catch boards at a steeper angle and balls will roll more freely.

I'll post some pics when I have time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joebulatao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2011 at 5:14pm
RyKnocks,
No matter how good your net catcher design is, you can not avoid balls bouncing back.  What is worse,  instead of falling down to the floor the balls seem to stick to the surface. Very annoying. Here is an idea for a quick and dirty solution to this problem. Put a slight tilt on that table half so balls landing on that area would roll down towards the through where you want them to be.
joe
rick_ys_ho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rick_ys_ho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2011 at 6:46pm
I wanted to have my 1050 shooting head as high as that of 2050 model, but I found out that the original 1050 bucket would be too tall to allow the balls fall down to the bucket. That's why I chose to replace the right bucket with something else. Of course, I could have cut the original bucket to lower the height, but I did not want to do that.

If sticking to the original 1050 bucket, the shooting head will be lower. I am not sure if lowering the shooting head will affect certain ball trajectory.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Addicted-to-TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2011 at 7:46pm
rick_ys_ho View Drop Down   I thought of that after the fact...lol. It definately makes for a flatter trajectory but it works out for me. I play alot of doubles and I get a lot of flatter type hits to return.

Edited by Addicted-to-TT - 07/18/2011 at 7:48pm
Sanwei
BH acuda s2
FH te 05

ttennis1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttennis1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2011 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by RyKnocks RyKnocks wrote:

What's up everyone.  

Sorry I haven't posted in this thread for a while, but here are some updates that I've done so far.

1) Increased the depth of the catch boards from 9" to 12"
2) Increased the depth of the framing so that when the balls bounce into the fabric they don't hit the PCV pipe (was causing some major rebounding).
3) Did away with the cut up bed sheet and purchased a 9'x12' drop canvas.  I've cut out all the panels and am now lining the edges with gorilla tape to make it more sturdy.  I ran out of tape after just lining the back panel so I gotta go get more.
4) Installed some makeshift railings onto the sides of the catch boards so that the balls don't roll back onto the table.
5) Decreased the height of the entire unit by 1 inch.  This allows me to set the catch boards at a steeper angle and balls will roll more freely.

I'll post some pics when I have time.

@RyKnocks
We are still waiting for those awesome pictures!
If you can upload a few.........thanks

Edited by ttennis1 - 08/06/2011 at 12:56am
Butterfly Primorac (OFF-)
FH:Yasaka Mark-V (max)
BH:Butterfly Flextra (1.5)
wew036 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wew036 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 12:24pm
I recently got a Newgy 1050 and quickly find a recycle net is a must.  I first bought a IPONG Catch Net and found that it doesn't work well with Newgy 1050.  Then I started building a recycle net based on RyKnocks design.

Here is the final product:

Here is how I made it:

1. Make a base exactly like what RyKnocks did (thanks RyKnocks!):

2. Use two poles as the base of the ipong catch net, and fix them to the base:

3. Finally put on the cardboard and staple the net to it to form the reclined shape so balls can roll to the center:

wew036 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wew036 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 12:29pm
Here is the budget:

1. ipong catch net $60
2. base: $25 (the wood is free for me since I already have them at home.  Maybe add another $30 if you buy wood board from HomeDepot?)
3. cardboard: $0 (free because I am using the packing box came with my table tennis table)
4. tools (wood saw, file): $20

So I spent $105 in total and maybe a full day of labor.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joebulatao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 12:57pm
Good job wen ! I like it. Now if you are thinking of getting rid of that ipong netcatcher, you can throw it my way  lol. Tell you what, I will trade you one brand new MPPB picker upper for it.
Cheers!

joe

www.mypingpongbuddy.net
wew036 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wew036 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 1:01pm
I already have the MPPB picker, and am loving it!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joebulatao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 6:44pm
Thanks Wew, I am happy that you love the MPPB. But I really like the iPong ball catcher design because of the drain hole at the bottom where I could position my bucket ping pong robot that I made 6 years ago. Anybody out there who want to sell me their used iPongball catch net ?
Drew_Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drew_Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2012 at 8:32pm
You guys have inspired me so I made a trip to Home Depot but went at a little different.

My design folds flat so I can move it to the side of the house when I really need use of the garage and no balls get past it at all, and all a collected below into a box.

I have to get home to post up pics this weekend to show you.

Stay tuned!

-Drew
johan183 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johan183 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2012 at 12:45pm
Hello guys, I stumbled across this page while searching Google for exactly the same thing RyKnocks had in mind. I'm currently waiting for Robopong 1050 and would like to "convert" it in some DIY version of 2050.
I have to congratulate you all on giving me some great ideas already...
@RyKnocks - have you have made the adjustments you were planing to do and how did it work out? Maybe if you could post some pictures?
@DrewJones - would like to see your engineering in pictures too ....

Regards
mehdi196 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mehdi196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2012 at 7:36am
HI guys
you can use a row of thick nylon strips to absorb ball speed and avoid ricochet, instead of increasing the depth. it really works. I show you a modified pic below to get it.
cheers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic