Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tibhar Samsonov Alpha SGS review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
barnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tibhar Samsonov Alpha SGS review
    Posted: 06/26/2011 at 9:34am

As I used to play with old Alpha with small head I couldn´t resist to try this new alpha with sligtly bigger head size. At first, SGS means sponge grip system, that means that blade has sponge built in the handle for better grip. The sponge is blue part of the handle.

My Alpha SGS is with straight handle. Fits perfect in the hand, looks like rounded straight from Boll Spirit. Tibhar made good job with handle, now it´s much better that ST at normal Alpha that was oval and too slim.  Weight is 85 g, Head size is 156 x 149, normal Alpha has 153 x 150.

Boucing the ball without rubbers blade feels pretty slow and soft, like all+ with vibrations when hitting hard. For testing I put Rakza 7 black and Acuda S1 red. I will rate the part of the game from 1 to 10. 1 is the worst, 10 is best.

1. serves - very spinny, especially with Rakza 7 I can produce heavy underspin. Easy placement, I was really pleased with serving, so far probably best serving combo I had. 9,0 points

2. push, chop - good, but I have to be careful with long pushes, probably because of harder and springy rubbers. Blade is medium in hardness so probably softer rubbers with more dwell will make it easier. 8,0

3.short game - easy to keep ball short around the net.  It´s medium stiff, so ball goes as long as much effort you put on it. 8,5

4. topspin - very versatile, its easy mix the speed, spin and placement. Only downside is that itś not solid enought for power loop. Probably due the thickness 5,7mm. 8,5

5.block - this is where Alpha shines.  On blocks it feels pretty stable with enought speed to surprise opponent. Good control and easy placement. Blade is center balanced, not head heavy so you can make fast movements under the pressure. 9,5

6. drive, smash - When smashing hard it feels harder. This is very depending on rubbers. With my rubbers smashing was good, but if you put soft rubbers I´m sure it will be pretty mushy. You have to hit the ball with the sweet pot to feel the drive right. 8 points

After two sessions with this combo I was really suprised with Alpha performance. I get more than I expected. I can play with Alpha SGS as good as with my OSP Virtuoso OFF-. What is important for me, Alpha serves better than Virtuoso. Speed is right around OFF-.

This is blade for allround attackers that plays mostly on the table. Off the table you need to put more effort to finish the point. But with fast rubbers it´s not a problem.
And for the price around 35 Eur I´m sure this blade will be as popular as old Alpha, because it has better handle and slightly bigger head. Well done, Tibhar!!!     

Yasaka Silver All Wood, ST
FH - Rhyzm max
BH - Tenergy 05 max
Sponsored Links

chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2011 at 10:10am
Thanks for the review.
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
rui pedro81 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rui pedro81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2011 at 3:59pm
what would the difference be compared with tibhar lebesson? supposedly the lebesson is the same construction as the alpha so im guessing the only difference is the handle?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rui pedro81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2011 at 8:02pm
anyone?
dolly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2011 at 4:41am
Great and timing review! I was just considering to get one :)

According to a webpage: http://www.spinfactory.de/shop/lebesson-anatomisch-p-9641.html, lebesson seems to be a bit smaller : 14.8*15.3, and lighter: 80g. So it is more close-to-the-table.

barnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2011 at 5:10pm
Update:
Last session I tried Hexer 2.1 on backhand. It played really well as I expected. For me, Hexer is the best backhand rubber - good speed, spin, feeling and a bit more dwell than Acuda S1 or Rakza 7. The control is really awesome for tensor. Feels like medium glued Mark V.

So now my combo is: Rakza 7 on FH, Hexer on BH.

Please note: the weight of Alpha SGS is around 80 g. I asked seller for heaviest blade he had in straight handle - 85 grams. In the past I had 3 normal Alphas. The best was haevier one and it was also 85 grams. Another one 75 g Alpha played totally different, slower, too light and not enought power. So my recommedation is to choose as heavy blade as possible. Even in weight range 85 - 90 grams Alpha is not head heavy and very good balanced.

FH - Rhyzm max
BH - Tenergy 05 max
dolly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2011 at 8:16am
I got a light one : 80g. Exactly as aforementioned, it does not go well with relative light rubbers. However, after I glued Tenergy 05 as forehand, genius as backhand,  the total weight goes to 179g, and it works wonderfully!
barnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2011 at 4:10am
So now I stick with this blade. I wanted something like slower Virtuoso and this is near - but more flex and more control. I put Tenergy 05 2,1 on FH and Rakza 7 2,0 on BH and I´m very satisfied with this combo. Especially I recommend this blade for blockers and players on the table. It does everything well, from serving to smashing. It´s also good for correctional purposes cause you have to hit with sweetpot to get maximum from this blade.
FH - Rhyzm max
BH - Tenergy 05 max
barnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2012 at 5:33am
     After trying Virtuoso again, than Stiga All NCt I am back to Alpha SGS. Virtuoso is too fast for me and Stiga All NCT is too stiff.  I have also new design normal Alpha with 156 x 149 head, but this SGS feel better. SGS is little more head heavy and I can put more spin with that blade. There is sooo much spin like no other blade I have tried.Shocked 

Last week I played with older version of Sam. Alpha ( 90 gr) with small head size. It was big surprise that was too sloow and no so solid as SGS. If SGS is OFF-, old Alpha has to be All+.
Old one feel too light even it is heavier with the same rubber (186 vs 181), there is no power for hard attacks. I also forget that these new Alphas with bigger head feels harder than older ones. Tibhar made a good job to redesign blades for playing with new tensors and rubber like Tenergy.Clap

Edited by barnie - 07/06/2012 at 5:36am
FH - Rhyzm max
BH - Tenergy 05 max
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2012 at 5:43am
I almost bought one.   But after holding the blade for quite awhile in humid weather, I felt like the sponge absorbed too much moisture, so it's rather damp.  Or it could be just my unjustified feeling.

So I did not buy it.  Should it be a normal handle blade (no sponge) I would have bought it.
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2012 at 5:48am
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

I almost bought one.   But after holding the blade for quite awhile in humid weather, I felt like the sponge absorbed too much moisture, so it's rather damp.  Or it could be just my unjustified feeling.

So I did not buy it.  Should it be a normal handle blade (no sponge) I would have bought it.

Just get the new samsonov alpha then Wink

http://tak9.com/mall.php?cat=006001000&query=view&no=5622
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Melapringa View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melapringa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2012 at 11:46pm
Samsonov Alpha vs nittaku Acoustic ?????????

I think that the acoustic is faster than samsonov alpha sgs and the trayectory of the ball is high. High Throw, i dont like this aspect of the acoustic.

I will buy samsonov alpha new version, but are no  choose:

Tibhar Samsonov Alpha FL   or  Tibhar Samsonov Alpha SGS  FL,

Any diferences of these blades or reviews....

I want that compare the samsonov alpha sgs with yasaka extra and andrezej Grubba too. xD
barnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 4:18am
So firtst at Alphas:

New Alpha (and SGS too) is faster than these few years ago, stiffer with more power and has bigger head. Control is great.  The new ones has better ST handle.Thumbs Up
SGS is the same wood construction but because of sponge in the handle is more head heavy.
I like both of them and now I play with SGS, straight handle. SGS has more flex but still is on stiffer side. I recommend medium rubber on Alpha.

Yasaka Extra is slower, softer and is flexy compared to Alpha. YE has much less power than new Alpha. Older Alphas is as slow as YE.

I have to notice that my new SGS is 85 grams and normal version is 86. Usually they are lighter.
I used to play with OSP Virtuoso too but with fast rubbers my passive game was not so precise.

Hope this help.
FH - Rhyzm max
BH - Tenergy 05 max
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 4:22am
As far as I know, new Alpha and Alpha SGS have bigger dimension compared to the old one (head size as well as handle size).  Gone is the old version with small head size.
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melapringa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 11:36am
interesting  i will buy the samsonov alpha Sgs  FL 89 gr  with sriver L max forehand and marv v max or 2.0 for backhand.  is good this setup ?

why the Andro Temper Tech ALL+ or off- is cataloged with a lot of much control on all pages of table tennis?  10/10

more control than yasaka extra or andrezej Grubba ?

i think that samsonov alpha is similar to primorac off-

Speed
Acoustic > P.korbel > Samsonov alpha > primorac off- > Yasaka extra > Andrezej Grubba

Edited by Melapringa - 10/25/2012 at 11:51am
Nagatito View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nagatito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2012 at 7:57pm
How is the Alpha SGS and the new Alpha compared to the TB ZLF. And a Off Topic question: Will the rasant work well on the SGS or the New Alpha because I would like to have it as a secondary setup but having similar feeling to my TB ZLF with Rakza 7 soft
Blade: Timo Boll ALC
FH: T05
BH: Roundell
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melapringa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2012 at 6:52pm
Finally bought my blade is a

Tibhar Samsonov Alpha SGS FL 89 grams  with two yasaka mark v,  1.8 for backhand and 2.0 for forehand.. 

is good this setup ? 
saif View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2012 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Melapringa Melapringa wrote:

Finally bought my blade is aTibhar Samsonov Alpha SGS FL 89 grams  with two yasaka mark v,  1.8 for backhand and 2.0 for forehand..  is good this setup ? 

A balanced all round set up with lots of control.
TBS FH & BH: T05fx
Tibhar Samsonov Alpha FH: Grip-S Europe BH: Rakza7 soft
Victas Koji Matsushita FH: Tenergy 80 BH: Feint long III
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5439549367/
Nagatito View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nagatito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2012 at 2:01pm
Just got my Alpha SGS, I will use my old sheets of BlueFire M1 and Rasant for testing it. Will tell you tomorrow
Blade: Timo Boll ALC
FH: T05
BH: Roundell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rui pedro81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2012 at 3:45pm
Maybe you guys don't know this but tibhar lebesson has the same construction of samsonov alpha but with bigger head size and different handle ofc
redyborde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redyborde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2014 at 9:31pm
New Alphas and Premium Contacts are 5.7mm whereas old Alphas and Premium Contacts were 5.9 mm?  is this correct? if so, they would be bigger but thinner...so are the new ones faster really than the old ones?

doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2014 at 10:14pm
If I recall correctly, old Alpha is about 5.5 - 5.6 mm and the new Alpha SGS is about 5.7 - 5.8 mm.

Old premium contact is about 5.8 mm.
redyborde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redyborde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2014 at 11:12pm
As i read, Alpha and PC used to be cut at the same thickness, but i'm not so sure now since sites don't seem to match the info, and Tibhar doesn't seem to answer e-mails. 
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 3:37am
No.  I can confirm that old Alpha is thinner than old Premium Contact.    The new Alpha is thicker, almost as thick as Premium Contact.
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 4:14am

Dear Mr.....

the Samsonov Alpha blade is very similar to the Samsonov Premium Contact but has more control. This can be worth a try.

The Inca blade is only available on the Asian market.

Best regards

Your TIBHAR-Team

TIBHAR
Tibor Harangozo GmbH
Fenner Strasse 62a                                          Tel : (+49) (0)6898 / 93 30 0
DE - 66127 Saarbruecken                                 Fax: (+49) (0)6898 / 93 30 33

Register of companies: HRB 6687                  Place: Amtsgericht Saarbruecken
Court of Jurisdiction: Saarbruecken                 General Manager: Erwin Berg, Roland Berg

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 4:15am
i was very impressed by PC and i have been in touch with this guy from tibhar and he answer everysingle question of mine.
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
redyborde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redyborde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 9:39am
Originally posted by t64t64t64 t64t64t64 wrote:

Dear Mr.....

the Samsonov Alpha blade is very similar to the Samsonov Premium Contact but has more control.

That's odd since Tibhar site says Alpha is faster. 

doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2014 at 11:15am
Tibhar is inconsistent then. I remeber writing to Tibhar and they answered that Alpha and PC are very similar, with PC has more control.

If you have Time, you can search in this forum about Alpha vs PC.
tabletennis11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennis11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2014 at 2:45am
Great review and we love that you update the blade reviews with different rubber combinations for more accuracy! :)
Lalo. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lalo. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2014 at 4:35pm
anybody knows the Samsonov Alpha's ST handle dimensions? (SGS or non-SGS)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic