FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Stiga Calibra LT+ & LT Spin Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiga Calibra LT+ & LT Spin Review
    Posted: 06/27/2011 at 10:21am

gotten today these 2 rubbers as part of my prize from the stiga facebook contest last april.

rubbers: 
stiga calibra lt+ red 2.0mm
stiga calibra lt spin black 2.0mm

blade:
stiga maplewood nct 7 conic handle

Stiga Calibra LT+

these variant of the calibra series has the firmest sponge among the 4 calibras that i have tried. medium porous sponge with minute pores. average size pimples and has a thick topsheet. its still light for a modern speed glue effect rubber.

fh to fh, bh to bh

fast balls with low throw angle. it has a long trajectory fitting to its name. you need to adjust a bit on the control though since this rubber is very fast even at 2.0mm. 

looping fh & bh

looping underspin is not much of a problem but the spin it produces is only average say 7 out of 10. the rubber doesnt have much dwell time even with the 2mm sponge. i love it in my backhand loops though. my friend who is blocking my bh loops its spinny though i think its because of my stroke that i use a lot of wrist. low throw angle

pushes and flicks
pushing is controlable both fh and bh. as fast as the rubber is i was surprised that pushing isnt that hard. the ball doesnt pop when you push it even with the springy sponge. flicks are excellent with these especially the banana flicks against short underspin balls.

serving

average spin only though the player would benefit if he wants a fast sidespin serve with this rubber

blocking and counters
excellent for blocking and countering loops. the sponge is springy but its easy to block or counter with this rubber. it really shines here and its very good far from the table because of its speed and power. this rubber is not sensitive to incoming spin by the way.

Stiga Calibra LT Spin
i was surprised to see this rubber as non tacky because at first i thought this was really a grip-s clone, i was wrong. its medium soft. firmer than the LT Sound but softer than the regulat LT. It has a very thin topsheet.

fh to fh, bh to bh
good control but still plenty of speed. has a louder sound than the LT+

Looping fh & bh
medium to high throw. i love brushing the ball with it and produce tons of spin. i love doing above the table spin drives with this rubber since it can grip the ball well even above the table. it is very spinny. bh loops are excellent too. good control and arc of the ball.

pushes and flicks
flicks are above average. pushes are excellent because the rubber is very spinny. the ball doesnt pop.

blocking & counters
blocking is good. the rubber is ok with the incoming spin. counterlooping is also good since you can spin the ball back really well. 

overall impressions of the 2 rubbers
if you are a counter hitter, smasher or attacks with lesser spin but more on power and speed get the the LT+. if you want control, spin with decent speed try the LT Spin. Im biased towards the LT Spin since its the rubber that suits me. you would take into consideration that these rubber if they are in 2.2mm thickness they would be faster especially the LT +. It is a beast in terms of speed and power and yes it is faster than tenergy 64 with lesser spin.

i would rate these rubbers as:

spin
LT Spin>LT Sound>LT regular > LT +

Speed
LT+>LT regular>LT Sound = LT Spin

Control
LT Spin>LT Sound>LT Regular>LT +

Sponge Hardness
LT+>LT regular>LT Spin > LT Sound

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2011 at 11:00am
yogi_bear, thanks for the detailed review! 
Do you think that the very thin topsheet of the Calibra Spin leads to pure durability ?
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2011 at 6:50pm
Stavros, from experience thinner topsheets like that of the tibhar max and other similar rubbers have lesser lifetimes compared to the thicker ones. i still need to observe it for a month or 2 though in order for me to judge its durability.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2011 at 7:57pm
Nice review and thanks.
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2011 at 7:08am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

Stavros, from experience thinner topsheets like that of the tibhar max and other similar rubbers have lesser lifetimes compared to the thicker ones. i still need to observe it for a month or 2 though in order for me to judge its durability.

Let's hope that Calibra Spin will be a durable rubber. After all, the Japanese products are durable !
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2011 at 10:43am
made some more testing with the calibra lt+ and lt spin today. i think calibra spin is worth the buck. it is spinny and fast enoug heven with a 2.0mm sponge. the LT + takes time to control. my forehand shots are missing their target but i guess it takes practice and getting used to this beast. im still biased towards the LT Spin. I've let some 2000 level friends try the 2 rubbers and they love the LT Spin 

Cicis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cicis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2011 at 11:57am
I really like that LT Spin of yours.. For my BH though. haha!
*** TPC Table Tennis Barkada ***
==========================
Blade: Timo Boll Spirit FL
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo Prov 37deg Black
BH: Donic Acuda S3 2.0 Red
==========================
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2011 at 5:41pm
which one has same hardness as tenergy? and which one has same hardness as h3 neo 39? 
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
speed29 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speed29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2011 at 6:27pm
lt spin : 40°; it seems correct; it is softer than tenergy
lt plus : 50°; I cannot confirm if it really feels 50 which seems high
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2011 at 6:27pm
the LT + is closer to tenergy 64's hardness but tenergy 64 still has a firmer sponge

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2011 at 1:47pm
HMM.. THEN LT+ could be a possible FH candidate for me ... in future. particularly when yogi feels opening loops is not that difficult. 

729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
thepongcast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepongcast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2011 at 2:10pm
Sounds like Calibra Spin is an interesting candidate for when my T64 wears out.  I'm not looking for an exact replacement.  Would you still rate Calibra Spin as a relatively fast rubber overall?  Can you compare it to Boost TC by any chance?
Table tennis TV show & podcasts at ThePongcast.com
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2011 at 9:12pm
i would rate the LT Spin as a fast rubber. the one that im using is only 2.0mm but its fast how much more in max

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2011 at 9:14pm
let me change that hardness comparison.. LT+ has a firmer sponge than tenergy64 my mistake. i tried pressing the 2 rubbers today

Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2011 at 5:22am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

i would rate the LT Spin as a fast rubber. the one that im using is only 2.0mm but its fast how much more in max

Having much experience in Boost series and Calibra LT and Sound, I think that the 2.0mm versions are faster than the MAX versions !
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2011 at 1:10pm
Why Calibra Spin and Plus are not available for sale yet ?
stereotip View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stereotip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2011 at 3:10pm

Originally posted by Stavros Stavros wrote:

Why Calibra Spin and Plus are not available for sale yet ?

http://www.presports.com/stiga-calibra-lt-plus-rubber-p-1947.html?number_of_uploads=0&securityToken=f0dd64cfb67f2447dc333ab623815592

jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2011 at 5:17am
Any new inputs?

I´m thinking about giving it a try on my FH LT+, but i fear about the lack of spin. I´ve been playing with O4 Asia, but it´s not very durable nor fast. Which would you choose as a Fh rubber, GripS europe or LT+?

Edited by jonyer1980 - 08/13/2011 at 5:28am
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
viktorovich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viktorovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2011 at 6:55am
 @yogi_bear :what durability at Calibra Spin ? Thanks.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2011 at 11:27am
viktor, fairly durable say about 3 months if you play a lot and do multiball drills 1x a week

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2011 at 3:43pm
I heard that Calibra LT is not good for close to table play because of the long trajectory, is that true? Because it's a speed based rubber with a medium hard sponge, doesn't that make it a good rubber for blocking and flat hitting close to the table?
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2011 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

I heard that Calibra LT is not good for close to table play because of the long trajectory, is that true? Because it's a speed based rubber with a medium hard sponge, doesn't that make it a good rubber for blocking and flat hitting close to the table?

LT Spin might be good for close to the table. The other versions I'm not so sure.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2011 at 9:29am

It's ok if you combine it with a slow blade.
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2011 at 10:06am

You mean slow as in allround blade?
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2011 at 3:36am

OFF- would be ok.

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2011 at 6:34am

OFF- would be ok.

Do you have any experience with the Juic Nebula (or the old BTY Power Drive)? If yes what kind of speed rating would you give that blade? It's my current blade and I really like it. I remember that it was rated Off- by paddle palace.
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2011 at 2:00pm

OFF- would be ok.

Do you have any experience with the Juic Nebula (or the old BTY Power Drive)? If yes what kind of speed rating would you give that blade? It's my current blade and I really like it. I remember that it was rated Off- by paddle palace.

No, I haven't tried these blades.
virtuososiu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtuososiu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2012 at 11:32am
Hi, thanks for the review.
How would u compare the Calibra rubbers with Hexer & Vega Pro?
I liked these rubbers much, just looking for sth lighter

speaquinox View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2012 at 3:25pm
Calibra (all versions) are faster, lower throw, less spinny, a lot louder, lighter. No similarity.

Edited by speaquinox - 01/23/2012 at 3:26pm
Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2012 at 6:23am
Calibra Spin is a very effective forehand rubber.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic