FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Zhang Jike loop.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zhang Jike loop.
    Posted: 07/25/2011 at 1:10pm
A friend and fellow MYTT forum member posted this today on Facebook. He is a wise and kind person, and definitely not an a-hole of any sort in any venue. I hope I'm not "stealing his thunder" by posting it here, but I figured some people would enjoy it.

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
Sponsored Links

mudr.nudl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudr.nudl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2011 at 2:28pm
thx
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2011 at 4:36pm
Great video and thanks for posting.

Looks like it was shot in hi-def and with high fps. Wish the conversion process didn't drop so many frames though.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2011 at 4:39pm
Those are some huge legs! To the "Hamtractor."
JBurn244 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBurn244 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2011 at 4:40pm
Very nice.
Donic Persson Powerplay
Tenergy 80-FX
Donic Acuda P2
Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2011 at 6:53pm
He lowered his bat to about 6 inches off the floor in a couple of those loops.
Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V
TheRobot99 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2011 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Tinykin_2 Tinykin_2 wrote:

He lowered his bat to about 6 inches off the floor in a couple of those loops.
I counted 6 times where I think he's below that.
Ross Leidy Custom, DHS Hurricane III Neos, Nittaku Nodias

Xiom Fuga, Globe 999 National 39, Nittaku Nodias

JOOLA Torre All+, DHS Hurricane II #19 Sponge, Galaxy Moon 38

PTTC VP - 2011-12
ebah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2011 at 7:31pm
that‘s for chopper。。。little differ as normal
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2011 at 8:01pm
This video is to accompany Wei Wang's analysis in the August issue of the USATT magazine, could be an interesting read.
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2011 at 12:45am
beastly, my friend is a chopper and whenever we train together, my friends tell me I don't bend my left leg enough when looping (I'm lefty) you gotta get low!

The ball never drops when ZJ is looping, this is a good innovation!

Fatt I think Wei and Diego are married!  A TT couple
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2011 at 2:04am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Originally posted by chronos chronos wrote:

The ball never drops when ZJ is looping
I don't understand (not dropping where, when?)

the technique for playing against LP  is hitting at the top of the bounce
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2011 at 2:09am
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Originally posted by chronos chronos wrote:

The ball never drops when ZJ is looping
I don't understand (not dropping where, when?)

the technique for playing against LP  is hitting at the top of the bounce

Crazy... I just noticed that, with the exception of one shot, ZJK dips in almost perfect synchrony with every incoming ball.

As the ball drops, so does he. As soon as it hits the table, he initiates the shot by driving with the legs.

If that's pretty typical then it seems that it would be a good, simple coaching tool.

Tell your students: Bounce with the ball! Smile

JBurn244 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBurn244 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2011 at 8:49am
Wow that is a good little tip. Something easy to keep in the back of you mind as you are playing.

Would that technique be applicable for all shots you are trying to loop (ie underspin topspin, push, etc)?

I've heard before that hitting at the top of the bounce is a good rule of thumb, but would be interested in learning the variations of that depending on the incoming shot.

Edited by JBurn244 - 07/27/2011 at 8:53am
Donic Persson Powerplay
Tenergy 80-FX
Donic Acuda P2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2011 at 12:32pm
When powerlooping underspin with a larger forward component in the swing, it's essential to hit around the apex of the bounce (very shortly before, at, or very shortly after), otherwise the ball will go into the net due to the lower trajectory. ZJK hits a powerloop @ 0:53 in the video.

In general, the more offensively you're looping, and that includes counterlooping, the more you want to time your contact around the apex. Risk increases accordingly depending on the incoming shot.

When looping neutrally or defensively, you can contact the ball after the apex, early or in the middle of the descent phase. Avoid hitting late in the descent phase though, unless you intend to hit some sort of trick shot.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2011 at 4:22pm

http://www.tomveatch.com/tt/bouncewiththeball.html
by the way Tom had called it the same than Anton: "Bounce with the Ball"...when great minds reach the same goals through their different and original ways.

@anton: I really think Tom and you should meet. When do you come in Seattle? I can give you a guest room and of course your family and pets are welcome Big smile.

That's funny! ....com/tt/bouncewiththeball.html  LOL

Both my wife and I would like to make it to Seattle sometime soon--her because she's been there many times and loves it, me because I've never been there.

I wouldn't presume to burden you with my pets, but I may indeed take you up on your generous offer of a guest room... some day... but I don't know when.

But thanks for the offer! Smile

Stoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2011 at 6:28pm

That's an interesting an weird video... he lost the point! LOL

Seriously, the most important i noticed, apart the muscles of his feet, is the right foot - right arm simplicity at his topspin. I am moving almost all my body and get the half result. Nice video.

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2011 at 3:28am
Originally posted by Stoi Stoi wrote:

Seriously, the most important i noticed, apart the muscles of his feet, is the right foot - right arm simplicity at his topspin. I am moving almost all my body and get the half result. Nice video.

zjk still cant emulate kong's efortless playing
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2011 at 4:46am

It's possible that effortless playing can no longer win you a world championship now though.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
TheRobot99 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2011 at 6:14am
Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

It's possible that effortless playing can no longer win you a world championship now though.
KLH appeared to play as if he wasn't putting in any effort. I think KLH and OSE both look like they're just so relaxed and chilled out when they're playing.
Ross Leidy Custom, DHS Hurricane III Neos, Nittaku Nodias

Xiom Fuga, Globe 999 National 39, Nittaku Nodias

JOOLA Torre All+, DHS Hurricane II #19 Sponge, Galaxy Moon 38

PTTC VP - 2011-12
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2011 at 11:12am
Is this video evidence of that?

KLH does seem able to powerloop almost at will in the video and he's taking the ball very early. He's also moving the ball all over the table.

Perhaps JSH is much improved now and the KLH then would not handle him so easily?

Edited by racquetsforsale - 07/29/2011 at 11:14am
riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2011 at 2:17pm
I dont understand why I can't view any links in this post in IE or FF -  other ones here come up alright - any advice anyone?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

update: I have found out the problems - I use K9 web filter program, damn thing blocking the links on this page but not others on here!

Edited by riker71 - 07/29/2011 at 2:31pm
Stratus Powerwood
FH T05
BH T25
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2011 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

i cant tell but but some kong's very powerful loops were performed with little backswing like pulling a trigger
Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2011 at 4:16pm
In Kong's day you didn't have to put in much effort for big shots. Speedglue with all kinds of funny chemicals plus the 38mm ball.
Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2012 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by Tinykin_2 Tinykin_2 wrote:

In Kong's day you didn't have to put in much effort for big shots. Speedglue with all kinds of funny chemicals plus the 38mm ball.

That particular video (2003 China Open) was with 40 mm ball (but with glue, and the funny chemicals now are just different, that's all.  Blades are faster now).  Also, if you watch the whole video you realize that (1) on some points Kong used a looping style essentially identical to the one used by ZJK on the ONE point shown in the amazing clip Anton posted, and (2) the JSH-KLH match was a classic and incredible battle. KLH did not in any sense handle JSH with ease.  JSH was just coming off his amazing run at the Paris worlds, and the world at large did not yet have a whole lot of data and experience on how to play him.  IMHO, ZJK and KLH are about as similar as two players can be in terms of their shot technique, and I see no evidence that ZJK is better in absolute terms.  Both are greats, really all-time greats.

Edited by Baal - 12/15/2012 at 11:02pm
Benigma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2012 at 12:55am
I've noticed that when looping against topspin, Zjk has a very short back swing and also a relatively small follow-through and hence he is quite effective near the table because he can quickly recover. But when looping against backspin he brings his arm right down close to the floor along with his entire body so that when he swings up, the power he generates creates enough topspin to bring the ball over the net.  He also does not need to worry about a quick recovery because playing against a chopper is not as fast paced as an attacker.
I will concede that Zhang Jike has a very dangerous and effective technique..... but I don't like his attitudeExclamation
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2012 at 6:01am
Originally posted by Benigma Benigma wrote:

I've noticed that when looping against topspin, Zjk has a very short back swing and also a relatively small follow-through and hence he is quite effective near the table because he can quickly recover. But when looping against backspin he brings his arm right down close to the floor along with his entire body so that when he swings up, the power he generates creates enough topspin to bring the ball over the net.  He also does not need to worry about a quick recovery because playing against a chopper is not as fast paced as an attacker.
I will concede that Zhang Jike has a very dangerous and effective technique..... but I don't like his attitudeExclamation

he generates all the enormous power using his powerful quads, that's why he only needs minimal arm movement for his loops. Even his loop against underspin is much more compact than let's say Ma Long, WLQ or Xu Xin, but yet it is still really powerful. Same with the BH stroke. That's why table tennis players should train their legs heavily...
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
GoldenDragoon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2012 at 7:03am
One thing that stands out in kongs game against JSH is how often he allowed him to counter attack. Maybe there are differences these days but when ZJK plays JSH he gets very little chance to counter as he is pushed further and further back in every return he makes. Kong allowed him to be quite offensive in a lot of points.
Blade: Nexy Spartacus FL 84g
FH: Evolution FX-P Max Blk
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.9 Red
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2012 at 7:30am
Originally posted by GoldenDragoon GoldenDragoon wrote:

One thing that stands out in kongs game against JSH is how often he allowed him to counter attack. Maybe there are differences these days but when ZJK plays JSH he gets very little chance to counter as he is pushed further and further back in every return he makes. Kong allowed him to be quite offensive in a lot of points.

ZJK plays JSH like the way WLQ plays JSH, FH loop all the way...except ZJK is even more ambitious, he tries to be even more consistent than JSH, rather than overpower him (WLQ style). And surprisingly it works....
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
GoldenDragoon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2012 at 7:42am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Originally posted by GoldenDragoon GoldenDragoon wrote:

ZJK plays JSH like the way WLQ plays JSH, FH loop all the way...except ZJK is even more ambitious, he tries to be even more consistent than JSH, rather than overpower him (WLQ style). And surprisingly it works....

Its simply exploiting the weakness of LP rubbers. As they rely on incoming spin he gives heavy topspin so they are reduced to defensive strokes and can't counter. As the attacker he can still hammer higher balls but the LP player can still only chop high balls rather than attack. If you can be consistent it is extremley hard for the LP player to do anything other than hope the attacker misses.
Blade: Nexy Spartacus FL 84g
FH: Evolution FX-P Max Blk
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.9 Red
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic