Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

XIOM Offensive S review.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XIOM Offensive S review.
    Posted: 08/16/2011 at 12:21am
I dig XIOM products for their fine quality and reasonable prices, so I wanted to mention a few things about this blade for anyone who is interested.

Build: It's a 5-ply blade, 6.1mm. I don't know the exact build but I'm 99.9% certain the outer ply is limba. I'm guessing the blade is the classic limba-ayous-ayous-ayous-limba along the lines of the Korbel and so many other nice 5-plies. Mine is a flared handle. Here's a pic (from the internet, but mine looks the same):

Handle: For the newer model blades (2010 and beyond), XIOM slimmed down the flare handles ever-so-slightly, making them just perfect for me. (For reference, think of the somewhat larger Butterfly flares, like Viscaria, and not the super slim flares, like the Innerforce ZLC, or like the tiny Nittaku flares.)

Feel: The feel of this blade is in between soft and hard... so I guess it has a "medium" feel. Although limba blades tend to feel softish (in my experience), I think the softness is somewhat mitigated by the thicker outer plies. It has a very solid feel when hitting the ball... not like the "hollowness" of some Stiga blades. (I'm not knocking Stiga blades, as I like Stiga, but they definitely have a specific feel and this blade feels more solid.) A little vibration is there but it's fairly minimal. It's not as dead as an arylate/carbon weave by any means, but it's a little less vibration than one might expect from an all-wood blade, probably due to the 6.1mm thickness.

Performance: It is pretty fast as 5-ply blades go, but not insanely fast. Definitely faster than a Korbel, but a bit slower than a Viscaria (which I realize is not an all-wood 5-ply but I'm just using it as a speed reference). I find the Offensive S to be very controllable. I've tried many rubbers on it--from Chinese to Tensors--and everything seems to work well enough with it. There is a little flex there with solid contact and good arm speed, but you have to work some to extract it. At 6.1mm, it's quite stable for blocking. XIOM markets it in the OFF range and I wouldn't disagree, though perhaps it's on the lower end of OFF. I would consider this to be an excellent all-around attacker's blade. Essentially, it does everything well. No quirks or odd idiosyncrasies--just a dependable, predictable blade.

The best news to a person like myself is that despite its excellent craftsmanship and fine finish, and despite it's great performance, it still comes in at a reasonable $50.

I would definitely suggest it to anyone seeking a solid feeling, high quality 5-ply at a reasonable price.

Edited by Anton Chigurh - 08/16/2011 at 1:52am
Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
Sponsored Links

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2011 at 5:04am
nice review anton, you think it would be possible that butterfly also makes xiom's blades? the quality and finish are kinda identical with the butterfly blades
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2011 at 6:05am
Thanks for the review.I was just about to buy this blade, but there were no reviews at the time. I also thought about this one too-Xiom Extreme S

Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
takkugoku View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takkugoku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2011 at 9:32am
accidental double entry.. see below about xiom

Edited by takkugoku - 08/16/2011 at 9:52am
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2011 at 9:48am
Anton, how does it compare to V1?
takkugoku View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takkugoku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2011 at 9:51am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

nice review anton, you think it would be possible that butterfly also makes xiom's blades? the quality and finish are kinda identical with the butterfly blades

Xiom is a line from Champion, a South Korean tt equipment maker with long history

Edited by takkugoku - 08/16/2011 at 9:52am
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2011 at 10:29am
takkugoku, but does champion really produce their own blades?
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2011 at 11:05am
@vvk1: They are two very different blades, IMO. The V1 is a composite blade with a walnut outer ply, which gives it a very sharp, carbon feel. The V1 is also much thinner and has a bit more flex. And in general, the Offensive S is a heavier blade. (I asked for an 85g Offensive S but was told that the lightest they had was an 88g and that they thought it was going to hover around the 90g range in general; whereas, the V1 hovers around 80g.) Both handles are similar in comfort, but that's about all the similarities they share. I would give the edge in speed to the Offensive S.

@yogi: It's a valid question but I really have no idea. My intuition tells me no, since Butterfly doesn't strike me as the type of company who would make stuff for other companies or who (for the most part) would allow their products to be sold at reasonable prices. I think that whoever manufactures XIOM blades simply makes the extra effort to produce a fine product... without feeling the need to kick the consumer in the crotch.

AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2011 at 11:12am
This new "classic" style line from Xiom to me looks like an attempt to make Butterfly Classics..

Xiom Allround S has specs close to Primorac Off-
Xiom Offensive S close to Korbell
Xiom Extreme S close to SK7
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
pablogilberto View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pablogilberto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2011 at 12:30pm
Nice review for a lovely blade.  I've yet to try any blade made by Xiom, but looking at the quality of the blades, it really speaks a lot of the quality of Korean Workmanship.  Even granting the assumption that the blades are made by a contractor, the quality is still top notch.  Korea has come a long way and are catching up on the Japs and Germans in all kinds of industries from Automotive to semi-conductors..
PedramTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PedramTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2011 at 3:41pm
Actually they are made in China.

I'm sure about V1 Quad
    The movement which is the existence of the universe is the movement of love.

Ibn 'Arabi, Fusûs al-Hikam
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2011 at 11:53am
Thank you. So V1 is slightly slower than Offensive S? Interesting ..
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2011 at 3:53pm
Looks really nice. Blades have become increasingly ugly recently, with plenty of colors that don't belong in wood products in my opinion, like red and blue and purple and whatnot.

How much does it weigh? May be I get the slower one, which would be thinner and flexier too. God knows I don't need another blade, but if it looks good..

Can we have a real picture too, actually? I bought a couple of blades already for no reason other than looks, and I have been nothing but disapointed. Nothing looks like the picture any more.

Edited by assiduous - 08/17/2011 at 3:54pm
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2011 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

Thank you. So V1 is slightly slower than Offensive S? Interesting ..

I think so... but I could be remembering it incorrectly. Embarrassed

It has been a while since I played with the V1. Honestly, to be certain I'd need both blades next to me with the same rubbers on each.

I feel like the Offensive S is a bit faster, but I think that the differences in speed are fairly minimal.

The biggest differences are in the feels of the blades.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2011 at 10:41pm
I've owned two Xiom blades, and while I did not end up keeping either one, the workmanship was truly first rate.  I didn't like them quite as much as my beloved Viscarias, but they were excellent blades.  Xiom gives great value for the money.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2011 at 10:57pm
This is a great description. It sounds like exactly what I've been looking for in a blade. I've been wanting to go back to 5 plys for a few months now, but haven't found the right one. I wont buy butterfly. Otherwise I'd already own a korbel.

To be honest, if I were to describe what I wanted in a blade, it would be pretty damn close to what you just described for this blade, Anton. I have always been kinda hesitant to buy a xiom product though... I tend to stick to really common models of blades because they are tried and true. Like Clipper- everyone loves clippers. But I like the idea of one thicker core, and I like that kind of feel more. Are there other blades out there that are the same kind of build other than the korbel? What are they?

to be honest, my "add to cart" button finger might get itchy enough to just go ahead and buy this one instead of getting another OC CR... which is what I've kind of settled for. What are the other blades like this one out there before i get it?
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2011 at 1:45am
also, how does it compare to the Fuga, Anton? If you could be so kind that is :)

I've been reading into that blade too.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2012 at 8:33am
I had a chance to play with the Offesive S, excellent blade.  It play very similar to P Korbel, a little faster, but a bit softer.  It is more balance than the P Korbel, so if you play with heavy rubber, then this blade is better for you.  BTW - good review, I totally agree.
Benigma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2012 at 7:23am
Has anyone had a go with the Extreme S? That one looks very promising for me Smile
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2012 at 7:47am
i've used extreme S for 3 months. it is a great wooden blade, stiff and medium hard , 7 ply, limba outer. similar to clipper wood, probably even more to clipper cr which I haven't tried. same thickness and same wood as clipper wood, but faster, a bit lower throw, and slightly more flexible.

I've changed it with galaxy t1 because it was still too slow.
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2012 at 8:22am
The more I play with the Offensive S, the more I like it.  It has enough power to put away point, and the control is as good as any wooden blades that I've tried.  I think I am going to oder another one with Square handle to try.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2012 at 5:36pm
I wish i still had the Offensive S I bought from Anton. That was one of the best blades I've ever had. It's definitely up there. 

AlexB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2012 at 12:48pm
Anton,
Could you make comparison with Tibhar Stratus Power Wood? 
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2012 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by AlexB AlexB wrote:

Anton,
Could you make comparison with Tibhar Stratus Power Wood? 

Nope. Never played with it. Sorry. 

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2012 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

i've used extreme S for 3 months. it is a great wooden blade, stiff and medium hard , 7 ply, limba outer. similar to clipper wood, probably even more to clipper cr which I haven't tried. same thickness and same wood as clipper wood, but faster, a bit lower throw, and slightly more flexible.

I've changed it with galaxy t1 because it was still too slow.

where to get extreme S, if i recall you play with pips pen?  it would be really a replacement for clipper/CR?
jatienza930 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jatienza930 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2012 at 2:50am
Nice review! I kept my xiom offensive s. I used it for several months when I wanted to improve my swing. Paired tenergy 05, 05 fx and worked like a charm. Heaps of control and has speed when you need it. Its around in the lower OFF rating but still has enough speed for an offensive topspin game.  Xiom blades are exceptionally well made for the price. I also have an axelo in which the finish is nothing short of outstanding. Clap

Edited by jatienza930 - 11/23/2012 at 4:26pm
BTY TBS FL
T05
T64

My Feedback http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56638&KW=jen&title=jatienza930-buy-sell-feedback
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2012 at 4:14am
Thanks for the elaborate - as always! - review. As for the Fuga comparison thing, Fuga must be somewhat faster and harder than Off S, but this is a conjecture based on pitch.
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2012 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

Thanks for the elaborate - as always! - review. As for the Fuga comparison thing, Fuga must be somewhat faster and harder than Off S, but this is a conjecture based on pitch.
I haven't played Offensive S before but I guess that in comparison, the Fuga would have a slightly softer feel and be a tad slower.
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2012 at 2:46pm
I have played  with Fuga and Offensive S. The outer layers on Fuga are harder and the pitch is higher.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2012 at 3:42pm
The Fuga is essentially a Stiga OC. Koto outer ply. It is thinner than the Offensive S. It is also a bit slower. The Fuga has a sharper (or "harder") feel than the Offensive S but the Offensive S is definitely faster.

Both are great blades. One is stiffer, softer feeling, and faster (the Offensive S) and the other is flexier, sharper feeling, and a bit slower (Fuga).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic