Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - BladesByCharlie (BBC): 3-Ply Fiddler impressions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

BladesByCharlie (BBC): 3-Ply Fiddler impressions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ckhirnigs113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BladesByCharlie (BBC): 3-Ply Fiddler impressions
    Posted: 09/06/2011 at 6:15pm
Charlie of BladesByCharlie was nice enough to send me a new blade to review. It is a variation of his Fiddler. It is a 3-ply cypress blade with two thin veneers to prevent splitting. It has a straight handle and a slightly oversized head shape. I play a very defensive style with inverted on both sides. I currently play with a Butterfly Michael Maze blade with Palio CJ8000 Japanese Sponge on both sides. 

Here are my initial impressions:

I received the blade last Thursday and got to hit a little with it that night. I have been out of town for Labor Day, so I still need some more playing time with it. It is a beautiful blade and the craftsmanship is apparent. I really like the feel of the grip even though I have always played with a flared grip. I put the same rubber combination on the blade as I play on my regular setup to try and isolate the blade's characteristics. 

I was impressed with the control over the table when pushing. This seemed to match the control of my Maze setup. As I began to hit, I was surprised at the power the blade had. It would really speed up nicely when putting more into the shot. I had a few issues with the throw of the blade. This may have to do with the flex of the blade. I found quite a few slow/medium speed loops going much lower than expected, often into the net. The opposite seemed to happen when I opened up and hit hard. The ball seemed to go further and have a higher throw than expected, often past the end of the table. This seems to me like the flex of the blade is coming into play as I hit harder. I lost a little confidence in my strokes due to the fact that I wasn't sure what throw (high or low) to expect on a given shot. It's very likely that I can adjust to this with more playing time.

As far as weight and balance was concerned, I found the blade to feel quite head heavy with two sheets of inverted. This is most likely due to the fact that it is oversized. It felt a little less maneuverable than my current blade. 

One of the main things I was looking for in a blade was defensive capabilities. I very often chop back loops from mid distance. I have gotten pretty consistent with my Maze blade, and had high hopes for this blade. In this first outing with the blade I got the impression that it was a little too fast to chop back loops with inverted rubber. I was having trouble keeping the ball on the table. On the other hand, I really liked the blade's fishing capabilities. It was very steady and consistent when defending with topspin.

Overall, I was impressed with the blade but don't feel it fits my game. The craftsmanship and attention to detail was superb. I need a little more control in chopping away from the table and more consistent throw when hitting hard. My main strategy is to play heavy defense until the opportunity to attack presents itself. I didn't feel confident in either defensive or put-away offensive strokes. For my style I would need a blade that is a bit slower with a bit smaller head shape. I prefer linear performance so I know what to expect when I swing at different speeds. I could probably adjust to this blade given more time, but I don't think it suits me very well. 

I'm going to try and hit some more with it this week before making my final judgement. At this point I think I may be better suited with something slower. I really appreciate the chance Charlie gave me to review this blade, and I'll be sure to post my impressions as I hit with it more. Hopefully I'll get some pictures posted as well.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita FL
FH: Xiom Vega Japan MAX
BH: TSP P-1R 1.0mm
USATT Rating: 1947
Sponsored Links

martian22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martian22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2011 at 6:22pm
great review!
and is that the maze carbon you use normally?must be quite difficult to defend with since it is quite fast.
Timo Boll ZLF
MXP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2011 at 11:26am
I do use the Maze Arylate/Carbon for defense. It has great control considering it's offensive capabilities. I have never played with an actual defensive blade. I've come to believe I'd play best with an All-Round blade so that offense and defense would be equally possible. I have gotten so used to the Maze that it may be difficult to find a replacement.  
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2011 at 1:20am
Sorry, I didn't get in what it is a variation of the normal Fiddler. Is it because of the bigger head shape?
Charlie manufactures Fiddler in several core ply thicknesses, which of course determine the blade's speed. How thick is yours?

Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
jim2204 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim2204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2011 at 3:38am
great review.
do u buy the CJ8000 rubber and japanese sponge separately and glue them together or they come in 1 piece? I have a Maze and I want to try the CJ8000 rubber.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2011 at 10:50am
It's my understanding that the normal Fiddler is 5-ply. The Fiddler Charlie sent me was 3-ply with a 5mm core thickness. I'm not sure how this changes the playing characteristics vs. a 5-ply.

I buy the CJ8000 Japanese Sponge pre-assembled from TTNPP.com. I have the 42-44 hardness on my FH and the 39-41 on my BH (the 39-41 isn't normally available on their website). I tried the 36-38, but found it a little too soft on smashes.  
jim2204 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim2204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2011 at 11:35am
thanks ckhirnigs113. Have u try Dawei IQUL3.5, 4.0 or 4.2 or other types of rubber on the maze and how do they compare to the CJ8000?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2011 at 11:50am
I tried IQUL 40 degree and thought it was pretty good. I also played for a long time with Sriver EL and like it better than the IQUL. I find CJ8000 to work better for me than either of them. It is spinnier while remaining easy to control.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2011 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by ckhirnigs113 ckhirnigs113 wrote:

It's my understanding that the normal Fiddler is 5-ply. The Fiddler Charlie sent me was 3-ply with a 5mm core thickness. I'm not sure how this changes the playing characteristics vs. a 5-ply.

You're right, I overlooked that. So is it a 3-ply in which the wood grains all run parallel to the handle (vertically), or does the grains in the core ply run horizontally?
In the first case, the blade should be more flexible than in a typical construction with perpendicular grains.
Join the Nexy Clan!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2011 at 10:17am

According to Charlie, the 5mm core is vertically grained and the thin veneers are cross-grained to prevent splitting.

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2011 at 2:08pm
Sorry, I still don't get it. So it's a 5-ply? 3 cypress plus 2 thin wood veneers? I mean cypress, thin wood, cypress, thin wood, cypress? Or are the thin cross-grained veneers you mention the outer cypress plies?
Could you post a picture of the plies?
Join the Nexy Clan!
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2011 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

Sorry, I still don't get it. So it's a 5-ply? 3 cypress plus 2 thin wood veneers? I mean cypress, thin wood, cypress, thin wood, cypress? Or are the thin cross-grained veneers you mention the outer cypress plies?

Standard 5-ply BBC Fiddler has a very thick cypress core (Charlie gets amazing quality wood cuts somewhere) with two super thin plies of mahogany on each side.

He makes it with different core thicknesses and playing dynamics really change.

I have a fair amount of mileage with the 6mm (center ply thickness) Fiddler and it is a beautiful blade for a mid-court power looping game.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2011 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

The blade I reviewed is not the normal 5-ply Fiddler. I am testing a 3-ply.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2011 at 5:38pm
Yeah, but you write it's a "3-ply cypress blade with two thin veneers to prevent splitting", so I'm still confused. Is there any mahogany? aaah, maybe I got it: the CORE is 3-ply cypres and there are two thin mahogany veneers ON EACH SIDE! So the blade is actually 7-ply. is that correct?
If not, could you just list all the plies?

Edited by arg0 - 09/09/2011 at 5:39pm
Join the Nexy Clan!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2011 at 12:59pm
It is my understanding that there is a 5mm center ply of cypress and one mahogany ply per side. This is a total of 3 plies.  
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2011 at 6:00pm
OK, so, since you write
Quote According to Charlie, the 5mm core is vertically grained and the thin veneers are cross-grained to prevent splitting

the outer mahogany are must be horizontally grained.
I think I've never seen a blade like that. That makes me wonder why all blades have outer plies with vertical grain.
Join the Nexy Clan!
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2011 at 6:23pm
Im still using my 5 ply fiddler at times, such great craftsmanship and excelent power on the big shots, I did do a review once somewhere on here
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2011 at 6:57pm
I have been evaluating quite a few blades for Charlie during the last year or so.  Perhaps, I will go through my notes and put them in a thread.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic