Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New: Barwell Fleet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2014 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by gatz gatz wrote:

Will do next week i just got the NAC testing blade yesterday... hit with it last night and initial reaction is playability is better than BF and faster. I think by the time am done with it i might love it better than BF...keep you posted.

Gatz, I generally would not recommend BF for a close-to-the-table player - it's gears are low there and many other blades are easier to generate spin with on very short strokes. However, 1.5 steps away from the table or more, the BF shines - NAC's spin, power or dwell cannot compare to that of the BF from there. The BF exhibits much a deeper 'catch'.

A great close-to-the table blades is the TB-ZLF.

I've given very good reviews to the NAC here & thought it was a great blade. Others in that thread thought it was a bit slow.

Edited by slevin - 08/14/2014 at 6:45pm
Sponsored Links

ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2014 at 7:14am
Originally posted by BB-Big BB-Big wrote:

How does this BF compare to Acoustic carbon or the new kasumi special?
Any comments would be appreciated.

p.s. I already own the BF but I am curious to try the AC.

The AC is  much more of a carbon blade, stiffer and bouncier. The ball goes off very quickly from the blade so you can generate speed with short strokes but if you want to for a higher speed and power with longer strokes it does not work as well as the BF. Also opening loops are much more difficult, especially on the forehand. 
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
BB-Big View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB-Big Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2014 at 8:10am
Originally posted by ttping85 ttping85 wrote:

Originally posted by BB-Big BB-Big wrote:

How does this BF compare to Acoustic carbon or the new kasumi special?
Any comments would be appreciated.

p.s. I already own the BF but I am curious to try the AC.

The AC is  much more of a carbon blade, stiffer and bouncier. The ball goes off very quickly from the blade so you can generate speed with short strokes but if you want to for a higher speed and power with longer strokes it does not work as well as the BF. Also opening loops are much more difficult, especially on the forehand. 

Thanks for your comment. At this time, it sounds that BF should be better for me.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2014 at 4:33pm
Update: I made a slight change - adopted the Barwell (after seeing forum member Jolan recommend it).

The gear change in the Fleet (low to high) was too large for me eventually. I guess I could have learnt to handle it in time.

Barwell has the same great feeling (slightly better actually as there's no glass) but is better at hitting / smashing while keeping it's great looping capability. Very powerful from mid-distance. The sweet spot is at least as large as in standard composites (like Viscaria).
Ergosquare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ergosquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2015 at 1:22pm
Hello.

I plan to use the NBF in the upcoming season and I'm not sure which rubbers to use on it.
My tests will begin in April so there will be enough time for me to exercise.
My current setup is:

Blade: Custom made 5-ply allwood blade by TTM (Spin Master)
FH rubber: DHS Skyline 3-60 mid hard
BH rubber: TSP Ventus Spin

I really liked the feel and stickiness of chinese FH rubbers I had as with my current 3-60 and the Hurricane 3 Neo Prov. I played before. But I am also fimiliar with Eurorean style rubbers like MX-P or Hexer duro. Most of the points I win with hard topspin shots (with my FH).
As recently as 1.5 years ago I used to play with hard BH rubbers. Since lately I started to use softer ones to produce soft topspins more easily. Presently I do also use chops (as often as I do attacking shots) so I appreciate rubbers like my current Ventus Spin which are suitable for chopping.
I also like blocking on both sides.

I did some research to look for some new rubbers which suit my style of play. I discovered the new DHS rubber Hurricane 8 and I'm pretty sure I would like it's power and spin but I'm worried that it will be too uncontrollable. Furthermore I found the Adidas p7 as a highly recommended and reliable rubber which is good in all shots.
For my BH I want to keep the ability to produce soft ts, flics, chops and blocks easily but I want to become more active and aggressive in rallies. I discovered the XIOM Sigma Europe II as an option. Do you think it would work? If not I would try my current BH rubber.

I hope you can give me some advice. Smile
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 1:38am
i'm thinking of getting this switching from viscaria, but i already have a new mizutani waiting on standby. i also noticed that nittaku sponsored players who were playing hinoblaze and bf have switched back to acoustic with the plastic ball. is it still better to get barwell/bf or do i go to mizutani?
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 6:11am
If you want more speed but still a lot of control you should get the Barwell Fleet. If you want even more speed the Mizutani is faster but has much less control. 
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
Wolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 4:34pm
Hello,
I had a great desire to try a blade with glass fibers and my step was to Nittaku Barwell Fleat, where after a quote I almost called the doctor  Nuke
I've never bought such an expensive blade and I had no intention of doing. But after reading the
reviews beetle came through my head to the other side and I had such a strong will as
Anton Chigurg to say no and so I ordered. Tabletenis11 added very soon, carefully wrapped as always.

Few details:

The manufacturer states blade size 158x151mm, the fact is 157 mm x 151 mm, weight 85 grams.
Possession FL very comfortable, not so small as Petr Korbel FL or FL Boll Alc, processing perfect, bravo Nittaku,
no sharp edges, just class work!

The first night I put my favorite rubber Donic Blue Fire M2 max and Xiom Vega Pro max.
Unfortunately, it was not too happy choice Unhappy
 Blue Fire had a tinny feel a very short possession, for me, absolutely
unplayable combination.
Xiom Vega was a bit better, but nothing beyond what I could say ,null, ,null, Wou

The second night I chose Tibhar Evo EL P max and P max Rhyzm. We have been completely different kaffe!

The rate of this combination is not staggering, like my Korbel SK7 + Donic M2 max and I had no
no problem customize my moves to new equipment. The feeling is not at all hard and sharp, rather muffled and slightly husky. Catapult slight, huge sweetspot, zero vibration, excellent sense of control !!!

Rhyzm P max took me a lot to FH .Medium high flight curve and relatively long holding balloon allowed me to play
very precise and controlled FH. I could měmit speed and high accuracy location and I still had the ball under control.
Rhyzm P is the Barwell Fleat not bouncy, produces a good rotation and is very easy to play just brush contact. I do not know to what extent this is due to Barwell Fleet, but it just works and you feel that you can send the ball exactly where you want.
Evo EL P appears unlike Rhyzm P vivid with a slightly higher speed and holding ball is shorter, the perfect choice for my BH duress.

In short, how to play?

Short game is both very easy rubbers.

Servis -Rhyzm can certainly give more spin, but neither EVO EL P is not far behind.
Block - Both covers block very well, but Evo is zážez easier to block incoming topspin despite
slightly higher flight envelope. Rhyzm P bit more responsive to incoming spin.
 Slow-hit topspin thanks prolonged contact with the balloon easier with Rhyzm P. But as soon as
increases speed, Evo EL P shines brightly control and ease of use, speed can do if the combination.
I really like the rubber Rhyzm P, but I'm not sure that in combination Barwell Fleet's exactly what I was looking for.
Thickness max lacks a bit of natural catapult for my FH and 2.0 mm is already so alive that I was not able to
to manage. I do not currently leave Ryzm P, so I prefer left Barweell Fleat despite the fact that it is one of the
best wood that I have ever owned.

Wolf
Donic Crest Off
FH-Donic Acuda S2 Max
BH-Tibhar ELP 1.9

Donic Crest AR+
FH-Joola Maxxxp 2.0
BH-Joola Rhyzm Tech 2.0

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 5:04pm
Wolf, u selling?
Wolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 5:15pm
Unfortunately , it's already sold 
Donic Crest Off
FH-Donic Acuda S2 Max
BH-Tibhar ELP 1.9

Donic Crest AR+
FH-Joola Maxxxp 2.0
BH-Joola Rhyzm Tech 2.0

asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 1:03am
Originally posted by Ergosquare Ergosquare wrote:

Hello.

I plan to use the NBF in the upcoming season and I'm not sure which rubbers to use on it.
My tests will begin in April so there will be enough time for me to exercise.
My current setup is:

Blade: Custom made 5-ply allwood blade by TTM (Spin Master)
FH rubber: DHS Skyline 3-60 mid hard
BH rubber: TSP Ventus Spin

I really liked the feel<span style="line-height: 1.4;"> </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">and stickiness</span><span style="line-height: 1.4;"> of chinese FH</span><span style="line-height: 1.4;"> rubbers I had as with my current 3-60 and the Hurricane 3 Neo Prov. I played before. But I am also fimiliar with Eurorean style rubbers like MX-P or Hexer duro. Most of the points I win with hard topspin shots (with my FH).</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">As recently as 1.5 years ago I used to play with hard BH rubbers. Since lately I started to use softer ones to produce soft topspins more easily. Presently I do also use chops (as often as I do attacking shots) so I appreciate rubbers like my current Ventus Spin which are suitable for chopping.</span>
I also like blocking on both sides.

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">I did some research to look for some new rubbers which suit my style of play. I discovered the new DHS rubber Hurricane 8 and I'm pretty sure I would like it's power and spin but I'm worried that it will be too uncontrollable. Furthermore I found the Adidas p7 as a highly recommended and reliable rubber which is good in all shots.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">For my BH I want to keep the ability to produce soft ts, flics, chops and blocks easily but I want to become more active and aggressive in rallies. I discovered the XIOM Sigma Europe II as an option. Do you think it would work? If not I would try my current BH rubber.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">I hope you can give me some advice. Smile</span>

I actually use a 2+ year old sigma 2 pro max from my old ass blade on my baby hayabusa zxi. It does wonders for on table flicking on bh. The rubber, believe it or not (s2pro) still does wonders off the table. I loop , drive, power drive, smash. Everything with it.
One thing to keep in mind though, we are using different blades and I use tearmender to glue my rubbers.
After playing wonderfully for the past years, she's having a hard time pushing. Before i would just hold my paddle. Now I have to put a little wrist jerk into it. Im a huge fan of jan ove waldner and seeing how he pushes in his old matches, i try to do the same. Its not as tensored as it once was. The effect wore off over the years. I treat it like a non tensor rubber now, at least when it comes to pushing.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2017 at 1:40am
Does it pair well with Tenergy 05?
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 BH
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2017 at 11:22am
Yes it does
PingPongTom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2017 at 3:11am
How does BF compared to BTY Amultart in term of speed and hardness? Could any EJ give me some information please.
BTY Amultart

FH Tenergy 05 Black Max

BH Tenergy 64 1.9mm
akapur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akapur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2019 at 10:27pm
Been using it with H3 for about a year. It's definitely different from the usual suspects and will take longer to get used to. Once you are used to it, it is absolutely excellent.
akapur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akapur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2019 at 11:25pm
I got a Nittaku Barwell Fleet from Table Tennis 11 in Paris. Was in Paris for a vacation and happened to walk in. I had a great experience. I was able to test the blade with H3 on the forehand and a tensor on the backhand (at the time I used T64 on the backhand which they didn't carry at the Paris shop at the time). I picked the blade I liked best out of about 8-9 blades at the shop, 89 grams.

This is a blade you will need some time to get used to, especially if coming from a Bty Carbon Composite blade, in my case an ALC blade. The power it generates is nonlinear. On slow shots, especially drop shots on service returns, it is very slow. This allows you to dig in on a push off the bounce and really load up the spin while still keeping the push short, even drop shot short. Against lower level players and even players my level (USATT 2100), it's not that all that hard to shut down their third-ball attack. The somewhat annoying thing about the lowest gear is that you can't play a completely passive block against a low level player. With a TB ALC or Viscaria, I would sometimes just kind of put my racket out there and repeatedly block a 1800 player's loops and move him around. With the Barwell fleet, you can't be totally passive, you have to put something on it, like you need to in order to control higher level loop or given the extreme low gear, and the lack of power on lower level player loops, the ball will just go into the net. On balance this is good because it prevents you from developing bad habits. If you are a 1700 player who doesn't have good technique on blocks where you tighten your grip and go forward a little at the point of contact, this will annoy you.

Also you have to adjust how much power you use on slow loops. If you play a really slow loop like you would with a Bty Carbon blade, the ball will go into the net due to the very low, low gear. Once you adjust, this is actually a huge advantage because it allows you to a) really load up the spin when you want to and b) pretend like you've really loaded up the spin but produce a no spin slow "loop" when you want to which you can't do to quite the same degree and with the same amount of deception with most blades.

When you need to use power, there is plenty of it. It doesn't "feel" powerful when you hit it like say an Amultart or JM SZLC does. It's kind of mixture of a classic Stiga hollow feeling and an very reassuring controlled feeling that is hard to describe, but the ball has a ridiculous amount of juice on it, both speed and spin. A counter loop from at the table or mid-distance using a H3 on the forehand is just ridiculously easy. Blocking is extremely controlled. There are plenty of times when away from the table, when with a TB ALC or Viscaria, I'd be hitting more up to generate more safety and more arc to make sure the ball reaches the table whereas with the Barwell Fleet, particularly if I can hit the ball at the top of the bounce, and the ball is higher than net height, I can go much more forward and less up and generate a really powerful low to the net counter loop that is basically an extremely fast loop kill that dips down after the ball bounces due to the crazy amount of topspin on it. This does require good technique to do. The top gear is pretty extreme when you need it.

It's very easy to control your opponents heavy topspin and counter it with this blade. I recently played a extremely out of practice female (and hence not as powerful as a male player of similar quality) player who used to play on her country's national team. She beat me the first game. Then I just kind of hung back and blocked on her serve. Even out of practice she can put 50 balls on the table but so long as I placed it deep enough and with enough quality to prevent her from putting it our of reach, blocking was really quite easy. And if one of those balls was on the forehand, 70% power counter-loop to the middle and it's point over. On my serve, I just served long heavy backspin to her backhand and counter looped her backhand loop. I eventually lost at deuce in the last game mainly because I couldn't read some of her tricky serves but she got a net and then an edge at 9-9. I don't think I could necessarily have used the same tactic with the TB-ALC or Viscaria. You have to close the blade face much more with those blades which means the cross section of your racket to the direction the ball is traveling in at the point of contact is much smaller. This means you you have to be much more precise and can't generate as much power.

If you play a stroke with the same racket angle as you need for say a TB-ALC, the ball will go out at a much lower angle. You could call it low throw and it sort of is but now quite. It is low throw in the sense that you need to open your racket more if you play the same shot as you would with say a Viscaria, but unlike typical low throw equipment there is absolute oodles of spin. It will go low over the net and then dip, bounce and dive down. And with minor adjustments, you can get a high arc for additional safety when you want it. You don't have to change the racket angle all to get a higher arc, just brush more. The blade gives you what you put into it. At the same time, an unlike most equipment characterized as low throw, particularly if you play before or at the top of the bounce, lifting underpin is very easy, so long as you snap your elbow and brush the ball when you hit it.

Highly recommended. If you are coming from a Bty Carbon Composite blade, expect to hate it at first. It will be a longer transition than say a TB-ALC to a Innerforce. Once you get used to it and adjust, it will pay off in spades. Initially, compared to something like a TB-ALC which feels as precise a laser, this will feel imprecise. That's because you aren't used to the non-linear nature of it yet. Once you get used to it, it's just as precise if not more so. 

Note that Bty ALC and ZLC and various other carbon composite sheets are hydrophilic, ie they absorb water, they also get mushy with water so those blades tend to get mushy and noticeably slower with a couple of years of use, particularly with WBG. The glass fiber in this blade is not hydrophilic. Expect this to last as long as a well taken care of wooden blade.

Relative to the Barwell (non-fleet), it doesn't feel all that different. There is likely as much difference in feel between multiple Barwells and multiple Barwell Fleets as between a random Barwell and Barwell Fleet. I tried a few of both at Table Tennis 11's shop. The Fleets are a but thinner and hence a bit lighter but don't lose anything in the power department despite the lower weight. Of course both come in a range of weights but I suspect (total guess) a Barwell Fleet is about as fast and as stable under pressure as a Barwell 5gm heavier with very little other difference. I picked a Fleet because I was having a few elbow issues at the time and wanted the lower weight. With the glass fiber, you basically get the benefit of a slightly heavier blade without the weight.
pleiades View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pleiades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2019 at 6:24am
Very informative review (in my opinion) akapur 👍
Thot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2019 at 7:50am
@akapur
What make you choose this one vs the other 7-8 blades? What characteristics you took into considerations?
Thanks.

akapur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote akapur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2019 at 4:44pm
Started by looking at the top ply. Dropped one where the top ply did not look consistent and the grain seemed very uneven. Then knocked on each blade looking for blades with a high pitch that sounded solid and seemed solid. You want to hear the high pitched sound but no secondary sounds. Eliminated one or two more. 

With the remaining I knocked all over the playing surface of the blade to see if the sound was consistent over most of the playing area. It will be consistent and sound the highest pitch over the sweet spot. Then as a consistency check, placed the blade flat on a table, with the handle hanging off the table and the playing surface on the other side flat on the table and bounced a table tennis ball on the blade. It will bounce back to the same height and make the same noise over a large sweet spot but have a different sound and lower bounce near the edges. Ensure my ranking based on knocking and bouncing the ball was consistent. Obviously you do this on both sides. So you essentially now have a speed and size of sweet spot ranking for the blades on each side. 

Now the hard part. Pick the one that seems good based on how high pitched and solid sounding the knocking sound is (makes the blade faster) and how consistent it is across the surface i.e. how large is the area over which the sound is consistent (this is the sweet spot). Now given the information, you need to bring your preferences into it a bit. Do you want a faster blade, or a slower one. How do you prioritize speed vs size of sweet spot. What about weight? Given all of the above make the subjective choice that seems right to you based on your objectives.
Thot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2019 at 3:41am
I knew of some tests, but not all. Thanks for sharing.
I'm interested of Barwell Fleet,  but I think it's too fast for me. Also, I find the handle of Nittaku blades too thin and short.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic