Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

BBC Oversized Fiddler 3-ply

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
haplesshero13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haplesshero13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BBC Oversized Fiddler 3-ply
    Posted: 10/15/2011 at 12:24pm
Hey all! I just received today a Blade By Charlie, a modified, 3-ply Fiddler!

I'm going to do a review once I play with it. I've put on Genius 2.0mm on the forehand, and Air UpUpUpUp U5 0X on the back. I'm super excited to get this to my club tomorrow. My goal is to chop on the backhand and attack on the forehand when possible, but also to occasionally hit on the backhand and chop on the forehand.

But for now, pictures and my thanks to Charlie for letting me try this beautiful blade! Stats and review to come!

Edited by haplesshero13 - 10/28/2011 at 2:28pm
Rackets:
"Schneller" YH K-5: Genius 2.0mm / Sinus Sound 2.0mm
"Great Wall" YH U-4 : Focus III Snipe / Feint Long II 0.5mm
Sponsored Links

Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2011 at 1:09pm
Nice looking blade, love the handle. What material is the handle made of?? and is the top ply running horizontally (grain)??

Edited by Carryboy - 10/15/2011 at 1:53pm
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2011 at 1:13pm

If tom = top I'd say the pics leave little doubt. Does the white spot on the handle have any purpose besides aesthetics?
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haplesshero13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2011 at 1:25pm
I think it's a rivet or a peg or something? I actually am not so sure it's functional because there isn't one on the back side! Those are good questions and I'll pose them to Charlie via email.
Rackets:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haplesshero13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2011 at 1:30pm
I can't make out one of the words, but the writing seems to say:

Model: Mod. Fiddler 5mm C-Melanik (???)
Plys: 3
Weight (g): 89
Rackets:
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2011 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by haplesshero13 haplesshero13 wrote:

I think it's a rivet or a peg or something? I actually am not so sure it's functional because there isn't one on the back side! Those are good questions and I'll pose them to Charlie via email.

My BBC Ultima has one as well - I think it is to mark the FH side (the label side).
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2011 at 5:00pm

makes sense, and it's easier to spot than reading the bbc logo on the handle butt.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Ross Leidy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2011 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Carryboy Carryboy wrote:

Nice looking blade, love the handle. What material is the handle made of??

It looks like wenge on the outside with a purpleheart stripe.
ckhirnigs113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2011 at 6:44pm
That's definitely the same blade I reviewed for Charlie. Can't wait to read your impressions. 
Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita FL
FH: Xiom Vega Japan MAX
BH: TSP P-1R 1.0mm
USATT Rating: 1947
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2011 at 12:34am

me too. the "c" could mean "core", if the core is 5mm thick.
Join the Nexy Clan!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haplesshero13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2011 at 8:33pm
Updates! A little review! Played today with the blade, but boy do I have a lot to learn about defending...I'm going to need another week to really stick with this setup and learn how it works.

Blade construction:

The construction is great. It's been used, you can see where the fingers have worn the bottom of the blade down a little. I have to say the handle is the best I've ever used. It's smooth (again probably due party to some wear), it's comfortable, and it's perfectly proportioned. (I have average hands for a guy just under 6 ft I'd say.)

After two hours play:

Rubbers: FH: Genius 2.0mm Black (A keeper I think, once I learn how to use it!)
BH: Air UpUpUpUp U5 0X Red. (Not a fan of 0X, gonna go with 0.5-1mm sponge. Maybe Feint Long II 0.5mm).

Hitting: Excellent on the LP, the balls go back dead and slow. This has something to do with the rubber too because it is a 0X. On the forehand side, I loved the Genius in 2.0, but again I have some getting used to. The combination of the blade plus the rubber made for very high control and some decent speed too. I still have a long way to go to figure out how to play the FH properly though. For now I might just try to hit with the FH like I used to.

Chopping: Well this is the most important part. This blade chops very nicely. The large head, the stiff but still nicely sensitive feel, the comfortable handle, and the (very dead) LP help to place chops where you want them. The only complaint I have is that I like a little sponge under my LP, so I'm going to replace the rubber. But the blade is lovely!

Serves: Was getting decent serves on the inverted, don't serve on LP. Need more practice to get more info.

Looping: Haven't tried it yet! Review to come once I learn how to do it right...

More to come in ~1 week, once I adjust to the new style, blade, and rubbers...everything!! Wacko

Like any new equipment this will take getting used to. My thoughts are, once I get a nice setup on this blade, I will compare it to my friend's various setups and determine what I like. But I won't know for another week or so, so stay tuned!

Edited by haplesshero13 - 10/16/2011 at 8:52pm
Rackets:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haplesshero13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2011 at 11:03pm
Today I played more with the blade Charlie sent me, but unfortunately I dropped it and dinged the edge a little ='[

It's definitely still playing fine, I really enjoy playing with it. I've got Genius 2.0mm on one side and Feint Long II 0.5mm on the other, and it chops and hits and pushes and loops great. I especially like the handle. I'm still learning how to do the whole defense thing so in short I'm not even sure if I can appreciate the finer points of how the blade performs.

Perhaps the only thing I'm wondering about is whether it could be slightly faster. I'm used to a carbon/kevlar attacking blade. I'm wondering if I could get the control, size, shape, and handle of the Fiddler, but perhaps with a little bit more speed in there? (I'm too inexperienced to know how carbon affects the playing characteristics other than "stiff" and "larger sweet spot.")

It's been great trying this blade, now I have to decide whether I want to keep it or try something different! HMMM...
Rackets:
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2011 at 12:59am

If you decide to let it go, I'd be interested in trying it.
Join the Nexy Clan!
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2011 at 1:07pm
By the way, how thick is the entire blade?
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haplesshero13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2011 at 2:21pm
It's about 6mm thick, though I only had a cheap ruler to go by, so I'd say +/- 0.5mm.
Rackets:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haplesshero13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2011 at 2:32pm
I've decided to let the blade go for now....

Things I loved:
Craftsmanship and attention to detail
Weight
Balance
Control
Handle

Things I didn't like:
Speed was a little slow...could have used a little more OFF and a little less DEF.
"Oversized" head was a little large for my tastes.

If you are interested in trying the blade, let me know and I can pass it on either back to Charlie or to an interested party, whichever is easier for all of us!

I think this is a great chopping blade if you like oversized heads and great control. I'll be sad to part with it.

Edited by haplesshero13 - 10/28/2011 at 3:24pm
Rackets:
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2011 at 2:44pm

This blade s/b used for Hardbat. 

Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2011 at 3:24pm

If this is a demo blade, I am interested. Only one thing: how much is it oversized? I mean, how big is the head, in mm?
Join the Nexy Clan!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haplesshero13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2011 at 12:47am
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

If this is a demo blade, I am interested. Only one thing: how much is it oversized? I mean, how big is the head, in mm?

According to Charlie's site, it should be the Oversize shape, that is 158mm wide, 162mm long. According to those stats it's practically circular in some parts. It's not huge by any means, just slightly wider than normal really. Length was about normal for me.

arg0, did you want me to just send it back to Charlie? PM me, I tried earlier but it said your inbox was full Confused

Edited by haplesshero13 - 10/29/2011 at 12:49am
Rackets:
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2011 at 1:50am
hapless,
sorry about that, I'm going to clean my inbox.
In our PMs, I didn't get that this one fiddler was a demo blade, I thought you'd bought it. That was probably the cause of confusion.
In any case, considered the size and after having read the review again, please send it back to Charlie or to any other interested user. I think I'll play with the stock fiddler first, which is already heading to my mail box, and then move on from there.
Thanks anyway!
Join the Nexy Clan!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haplesshero13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2011 at 1:12pm
Oooh are you getting a different Fiddler demo?? What's the thickness/shape/handle? Pics and review when you get it please! LOL

All right, this one is going back to Charlie.
Rackets:
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2011 at 2:53pm
Not a demo, I bought one from a forum member. But I'll post a review after having tested it, although I probably won't have time before December.
Join the Nexy Clan!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic