Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Classic Rubbers vs. Modern Rubbers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Classic Rubbers vs. Modern Rubbers
    Posted: 10/13/2011 at 11:24pm
Well, as long as anyone can post an opinion : )

Do NOT buy Mark V. That is a speed-glue era rubber, that for some reason still costs over 30 USD$. If you don't glue it is a dull rubber all around. I mean it really has nothing, no speed, no spin. It has control, yeah, but without any teeth it is useless. 

ALmost any new rubber in that price range is superior to Mark V in everything, everything, and I don't understand why people here are in such denial about it.

Go here: www.ttnpp.com

Just close your eyes and buy randomly any rubber from Donic, Andro or Xiom, that is on that website, and you will do much better than Mark V. And if anyone tells you that you are not good enough to play with a nice rubber tell them to go #$#% off. Adjusting your strokes to that dead Mark V will serve you bad in the future, for you will have to relearn your strokes when you eventually but new generation rubber.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Sponsored Links

doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2011 at 11:41pm
Hmmm, I don't know about you.  But with classic rubbers such Mark V, Sriver EL, Mendo, etc.  I can put plenty of spin without any problems.

As a matter of fact, I have not played for almost a year now (actively) and few days ago, I had the opportunity to play a guy with carbon blade + Acuda S1 and guess what, with All+ blade and classic rubbers, I can outspeed and outspin him.

Mark V, Sriver, and Mendo are classic rubbers which are good for beginner to intermediate players.  So your primorac Off- with those rubbers are OK.

frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2011 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

Well, as long as anyone can post an opinion : )

Do NOT buy Mark V. That is a speed-glue era rubber, that for some reason still costs over 30 USD$. If you don't glue it is a dull rubber all around. I mean it really has nothing, no speed, no spin. It has control, yeah, but without any teeth it is useless. 

ALmost any new rubber in that price range is superior to Mark V in everything, everything, and I don't understand why people here are in such denial about it.

Go here: www.ttnpp.com

Just close your eyes and buy randomly any rubber from Donic, Andro or Xiom, that is on that website, and you will do much better than Mark V. And if anyone tells you that you are not good enough to play with a nice rubber tell them to go #$#% off. Adjusting your strokes to that dead Mark V will serve you bad in the future, for you will have to relearn your strokes when you eventually but new generation rubber.

Thank you for your opinion...but you are very wrong it's rather humorus. LOL
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2011 at 11:35am
Assidious. You misunderstand. Classic rubbers need glue for HIGH LEVEL PLAY.

But being an american, even euro club players around US1900 seem like high level play ;)

I agree that some of the tensors are much easier to loop with, but if you can't chop with classics, that's more technique stuff.

where I think you are confused is that the difference of opinion stems from players of varying strengths.from 1100 "power loopers" to classically coached city league players from europe.

What's your rating or approximate level?
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2011 at 11:36am

At least someone else agrees that those overrated Sriver and Mark V are dead without speed glue. You know, it hurts me a little when someone comes here for advice and you people recommend this obviously below par old rubber, that on top of everything costs a ton. I would bet a dime that not one of the people that recommend them actually play with them. 

I don't agree that it's easier to learn with dead rubber AT ALL. Try backhand loop of a chopped ball. New rubber can make a world of difference. I own a near new Sriver FX and you need to swing-dislocate-your-shoulder to loop a good chop. All of the 33$ rubbers on ttnpp from Donic, Andro, Xiom do this significantly easier, and DO encourage you to try this shot more often.

this time i do not agree assiduous. imo what it is overrated is all those new rubbers and new blades.
i know a lot of players still playing with sriver (without glue) that can crush most of people playing with new stuff. one of them plays with sriver fx and he loops with a hell of spin.

the same with blades. most people would play lot better with an all wood blade in the off- range.

lot of people always plays with the same partners. once one knows your partners game one can play with any rubber or blade. but go to play with different players and maybe you see that the modern blade or rubber is not so good. and then the sriver was more safe and the off- all wood scored better.

there is no need sometimes about so much speed or spin. there is always need about control.

Edited by ejmaster - 10/16/2011 at 11:44am
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2011 at 12:24pm

At least someone else agrees that those overrated Sriver and Mark V are dead without speed glue. You know, it hurts me a little when someone comes here for advice and you people recommend this obviously below par old rubber, that on top of everything costs a ton. I would bet a dime that not one of the people that recommend them actually play with them. 

I don't agree that it's easier to learn with dead rubber AT ALL. Try backhand loop of a chopped ball. New rubber can make a world of difference. I own a near new Sriver FX and you need to swing-dislocate-your-shoulder to loop a good chop. All of the 33$ rubbers on ttnpp from Donic, Andro, Xiom do this significantly easier, and DO encourage you to try this shot more often.

"Dead", "Under Par"...Hmmm. Like I said before it's what's best that works for each player, there is no set rule for equipment. Primorac pairs with pretty much everything and it doesn't matter at all using any brand or type.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2011 at 12:30pm
Assiduous, while I appreciate that you love springy rubbers you only being able to play with them shows that you have never learnt to hit the ball without the helping hand they give. Imho that's a sign of major stroke flaw, I also have the opinion that long term people that have learnt to play without that much help from the rubber ultimately will be much stronger players. 

That's why all more experienced players go out of our way to suggest you learn good fundamentals on classic rubbers. It's not some mad crazy conspiracy against modern rubber, it's trying (sometimes in vain) to guide new players on the best path to go about becoming the best player they can be as quickly as possible. You can loop any chopped ball with Sriver fx as easy as you want from both sides IF you've learnt how to loop properly in the first place on classic rubber. I'll assure you Ma Long can hit a backhand within 10% of the speed he can with his tuned T64 with untuned Sriver fx. That's all hand speed, very little to do with maximum speed comes from the rubber or blade when you are hitting the balls correctly, what comes from the extra bounce of fast blades and rubbers is a faster passive game and 20 fold less control, still it's an important part of high level play and the pros are good enough to afford the lesser control for a faster passive return of the ball, the 95% of players can't Wink and for the vaaaaaaast majority the extra control far outweighs any speed advantage in passive play Sleepy
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2011 at 5:07pm
If you want a slow rubber then why not just spend $8 and get a LKT Pro XP instead?  I don't understand the need to spend $30 bucks on something like the Sriver.  Heck, even the Flextra costs like $20, that's just robbery.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
ttennis1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttennis1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2011 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

If you want a slow rubber then why not just spend $8 and get a LKT Pro XP instead?  I don't understand the need to spend $30 bucks on something like the Sriver.  Heck, even the Flextra costs like $20, that's just robbery.

People usually underestimate the potential of Flextra, it is one of the best rubbers for a beginner to learn this sport. It has decent speed for a beginner, Excellent control & its spin is really something to be taken seriously. The spin on this rubber can really surprise the opponent.

Although got the Flextra by removing it off a pre-made paddle!

Edited by ttennis1 - 10/16/2011 at 10:15pm
Butterfly Primorac (OFF-)
FH:Yasaka Mark-V (max)
BH:Butterfly Flextra (1.5)
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2011 at 10:32pm

I'm an advocate for rubbers that are cheaper than sriver/mark V if you can get similar benefit out of them. They are overpriced tremendously. Especially Sriver. I think the safest bet is Mendo instead of sriver because it's very similar but much cheaper.
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2011 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by ttennis1 ttennis1 wrote:

People usually underestimate the potential of Flextra, it is one of the best rubbers for a beginner to learn this sport. It has decent speed for a beginner, Excellent control & its spin is really something to be taken seriously. The spin on this rubber can really surprise the opponent.

I'm not underestimating it at all, I'm just saying that it's a sub $10 rubber being sold for more than twice the price.  I mean, you can get a pre-made DHS paddle with two PF4's for like 15 bucks, I'd recommend that for anyone who's ready to move on from "ping pong" to table tennis. Similarly, in the post glue ban era, I find it ridiculous that the Sriver is being recommended by anyone to anyone.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2011 at 11:34pm

I find it ridiculous that the Sriver is being recommended by anyone to anyone.

Amen!

I mean, if Sriver had gone down to 15 bucks today, fine, go sweat yourself with it. It's like jogging with dumbels - some people enjoy it.

But when you have all these nice rubbers in the same price range and turn them all down for a Sriver? 

Also, my BH loop is perfect, thank you very much. Perhaps exactly due to the fact that I never played a rubber that will hold me back.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2011 at 4:32pm
Perfect at what level of play?

artakwol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artakwol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2011 at 4:56pm

I find it ridiculous that the Sriver is being recommended by anyone to anyone.

Amen!
I mean, if Sriver had gone down to 15 bucks today, fine, go sweat yourself with it. It's like jogging with dumbels - some people enjoy it.
But when you have all these nice rubbers in the same price range and turn them all down for a Sriver? 
Also, my BH loop is perfect, thank you very much. Perhaps exactly due to the fact that I never played a rubber that will hold me back.

I bought my sriver EL and FX for $15 per rubber. I'm using it on Primorac Carbon and can tell you, that they create really a crazy spin during the play (also for serve).

Today was playing with a guy with Primorac Carbon with new rubbers- both of the blades are very much spinny and no one could say that his bat created more spin than mine.

So it's the meter of confidence of every single player which rubber he would use.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2011 at 4:56pm

my BH loop is perfect

Now there is a statement, just when I thought things were getting boring.
The Older I get, The better I was.
JBurn244 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBurn244 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2011 at 5:00pm
$30+ rubbers win you matches, didn't you all know that?
Donic Persson Powerplay
Tenergy 80-FX
Donic Acuda P2
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2011 at 6:02pm
I agree that Sriver and Mark V are over rated especially when one considers the price. There are plenty of cheap $14 Chinese rubbers that are just as good or better for lower level play. The benefit of using cheaper rubbers is that you can try more of them. I am sure one can simply get use to Mark V or Sriver but they may find that even Mark V or Sriver in a thinner version is better. Finding that out is expensive. I think it is best to start cheaper.

Flextra and Micro are cheap enough so they can be used as a starter rubbers.

I know that I am not going to buy another Mark V. If I am going to spend that much money I will pay a few extra dollars for Rakza 7 soft for my BH. There are other rubbers I prefer on my FH.

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2011 at 2:03pm
Perhaps you think you have a perfect BH loop because that's what your Tenergy told you?

For any new player coming out of the basement and getting serious about the sport, I recommend classics when they are learning strokes (starting with thin sponges, adding more as they develop a loop).

Why? Because these rubbers are time tested and provide very accurate feedback for the user.

They encourage players to use better technique; i.e. bad technique is not rewarded, and sometimes is punished.

Modern rubbers enable high quality shots (in terms of speed and spin) with absolutely horrible technique. This might be fine for matches, when you are out of position because your opponent is smart, but it's pretty craptacular for drilling, as it encourages players to have a myriad of strokes to produce similar quality results.

For the record, I don't want to come across as a complete hypocrite when it comes to "what I recommend" versus "what I play with". I write this screed as someone who EJ'd BH rubbers for the first few years, finally setting on Mark V/Mendo for over 4 years. I think those rubbers helped out tremendously in teaching me the difference between brushing the ball and using the sponge. They gave me a good feel for incoming spin as well and and are a big part of the reason why my BH serve, push and BH mid distance topspin are stronger and more consistent than the rest of my game. They rewarded good habits, and made drilling those strokes more informative.

But I have used Acuda S3 for over a year, in no small part because my table tennis schedule went from 2-3 days a week (with a day of drilling) to 1-2 days a week (mostly gameplay). I wanted to remain competitive and S3 offered extra spin with easy control. Compared to these classics, it's more forgiving for looping (but less linear, and less precise) and it's easier to create high spin and high variation serves. But switching to S3 meant giving up a consistent BH chop. It was the first modern rubber I found that does most of what classic rubbers are capable of allround, while giving a great "glue feel".

Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

I agree that Sriver and Mark V are over rated especially when one considers the price. There are plenty of cheap $14 Chinese rubbers that are just as good or better for lower level play. The benefit of using cheaper rubbers is that you can try more of them.   

Define benefit please?

Trying more rubbers just slows development as precious time and energy that could be spent working on fundamentals is instead spent adjusting strokes to suit various rubber.

I really don't take issue with players who have sound fundamentals doing a bit of EJing; but for developing U800-1100 players, it's really bad advice to go "try a bunch of different rubbers".
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2011 at 2:32pm
I wouldn't recommend Sriver or Mark V to a beginner either.  But it has nothing to do w/ the quality of the rubber nor how much spin it can produce.  It's all about price.  There's no reason to pay that price when you're a beginner and there are much cheaper alternatives that are very similar.  

Unlike you, I wouldn't recommend a tensor to a beginner though.  Fundamentals are much more important when you're starting out.  I wish I spent more time on them when I started.  Instead I've spent a lot of time trying to fix my bad habits.
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2011 at 3:27pm
For the record, I find it inappropriate to call these rubber classic any more. A more appropriate name would be Old Gen. When I moved from Pentium III to Core 2 Duo, I didn't think my old processor was classic, because it is in different performance category. Sriver is definitely in a different performance category. The sponge lacks the elasticity of the new generation and feel rather dead in comparison.

When you advocate Sriver to newbies, you should tell them that it is better for them to use old generation rubbers because it is better for their development to use rubber with dead sponge. This is the language you should use, if you want to be closer to reality.

As for your second argument, that this leads to not being lazy and developing the right stroke, - I see no logic behind that, and less yet evidence. Different sponge requires different stroke. Why you think that you need to learn the old stroke before you learn the right one is beyond me. My coach loves telling people how long it took him to move from Sriver to T05, because his loop just wasnt working with the higher throw. I don't think a single self respecting coach will tell their student to start with Sriver first, but you will say again that since I don't have a coach, I have to take the long road. 

Do I need to learn to play the 38 mm ball first, before I start playin with the 40mm ball as well, or can I skip that? I mean the 38 mm is faster, and if I learn to play with that, the 40 mm will be easy. The 40mm ball allows you to make shots with, what was your language, absolutely horrible technique.

The whole notion that one needs to start studying a sport using the previous generation equipment and will benefit from adjusting his technique to equipment he will not use competitively is just absurd to me.
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2011 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

I agree that Sriver and Mark V are over rated especially when one considers the price. There are plenty of cheap $14 Chinese rubbers that are just as good or better for lower level play. The benefit of using cheaper rubbers is that you can try more of them.   
Define benefit please?Trying more rubbers just slows development as precious time and energy that could be spent working on fundamentals is instead spent adjusting strokes to suit various rubber.

Few stay with Sriver or Flextra. Sriver costs too much now to buy and discard when ready to move on.

I really don't take issue with players who have sound fundamentals doing a bit of EJing; but for developing U800-1100 players, it's really bad advice to go "try a bunch of different rubbers".

The high price of Sriver is going to keep that from happening.   I am not suggesting that beginners should change there rubber every month. My point is that there are plenty of cheap rubbers that play just as well as Sriver or Mark V.

mercuur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercuur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2011 at 3:51pm
Besides technicque and skill for "generating you,re own spin and speed" (without needing too much time) I,ve also played with/ seen setups where the gluebound, rubber to blade, was far from optimal.
Rubbers with a high resilience can use energy that,s allready in the game more effective.  For that part the gluebound is not too critical because it allows to play "light" with not much impact on the gluebound.

Classic rubbers need a more active approach for generating spin and (not for flathitting) the gluebound as a connecting layer between the player and the rubber is a link in the chain. If that link is relatively weak ....

As sponges are typically porous for big part of the surface, the glue, when it dries, tends to sink in and disappear in the pores. The effective connecting surface area becomes much less ; it,s like gluing air.

Edited by mercuur - 10/18/2011 at 5:24pm
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2011 at 5:14pm

That was tuned Flextra.  ;)
sahiggs100 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sahiggs100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2011 at 9:53pm

As for your second argument, that this leads to not being lazy and developing the right stroke, - I see no logic behind that, and less yet evidence. Different sponge requires different stroke. Why you think that you need to learn the old stroke before you learn the right one is beyond me. My coach loves telling people how long it took him to move from Sriver to T05, because his loop just wasnt working with the higher throw. I don't think a single self respecting coach will tell their student to start with Sriver first, but you will say again that since I don't have a coach, I have to take the long road. 

I'm not quite sure where it is that you get the idea that the newer rubbers require a different stroke than the old ones.  As someone who just switched from sriver (unglued) to a new gen rubber I can tell you that the stroke is the same.  True, some rubbers have higher and lower throw than others but it only requires slight adjustments and the stroke is the same.
Blade: Nexy Lissom
FH: Gambler Outlaw Black
BH: RITC 802 Short Pips Red

Please Don't feed the EJ's!
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2011 at 10:17pm
assiduous, you talk like no one in the world uses non tensor rubbers any more when in reality the spread below us2000 is still in far favour of the classic rubbers. At my small home club we have 5 players over US 2000 and there's two non classic rubbers spread between the 5 players.

Another nearby club have the top 2 using Tenergy (both at ~US 2300-2400) and there's only four sheets of tensors in the next 50 players along with another 2 tenergy lower down the order with a player at about 1700 us who has never improved not surprisingly. Those high level players started with Sriver and after years and years of coaching switched to tenergy.

At a slightly larger club of 100 players they have the number 2 and 3 players at ~2400 using tensors then number one at us 2500+ uses late generation classics although non tensor/tenergy. Almost everyone else there from us2100 and under uses classics. That's a pretty normal spread of rubber vs skill where people are actively competing and using rubber that lets them play the best they can
ttennis1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttennis1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2011 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by king_pong king_pong wrote:

That was tuned Flextra.  ;)

@king_pong,

You bet, when my opponents with Mark-V / Srivers et al receive a real good spiny ball they are taken by surprise!

It does lack in speed, but then again this is the main purpose of a starting rubber like Flextra!
Butterfly Primorac (OFF-)
FH:Yasaka Mark-V (max)
BH:Butterfly Flextra (1.5)
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2011 at 11:33pm
Niraj Oak, two-time US Men's over 40 champion, former Indian National team, just under 2500 rating, plays with Mark V.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2011 at 11:34pm
That said, all of the other players in this city at or above that level (there are several) use more modern rubbers, mostly Tenergy in one form or another.   
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2011 at 12:32am

$7 for 2008xp gets my vote
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2011 at 12:42am
Originally posted by JBurn244 JBurn244 wrote:

$30+ rubbers win you matches, didn't you all know that?

duh

too bad no one told the best player at this military post I'm at. He will only use a worn out house paddle (which was only a $3 paddle when it was new). He's won approximately 19 of the last 20 tournaments here. The guy could dig out a brush loop with a piece of notebook paper. And just when you think you're going to outpace him with some counterloops at mid distance, he drop shots the ball to perfection. A couple nights ago I met him in the final match. He got me 21-19, 21-17 (no one got the memo here about 11 point games).

eh, just thought I'd ramble a bit...

while I'm at it, there's another guy here with a $370 setup (T05 and Innerforce ZLC). We've played probably 20-30 times. The one time he beat me, he didn't have his paddle with him and was using a house paddle (if I would have cared to play seriously, I would have won that too... but I think I enjoyed the irony).

now.... what were we talking about again?
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic